Is it racisist

cellone

The Cardiff game is coming up with all the chants of "sheep ****gers" etc. After the last few games against them I'll be giving this one a miss because as a Welsh man I have no wish to be sat amoungst people hurling abuse that is also insulting to me a Saints fan.

I see no difference between this and making monkey noises and the like to black people.

The Cardiff game is coming up with all the chants of "sheep ****gers" etc. After the last few games against them I'll be giving this one a miss because as a Welsh man I have no wish to be sat amoungst people hurling abuse that is also insulting to me a Saints fan.

I see no difference between this and making monkey noises and the like to black people.

In that case you have answered your own question and decided the best course of action.

I fail to see not attending a game to watch the team I support as the best course of action. I find it pittiful in this day and age.

Errr your decision mate - not mine (ours).

Edited by Micky
Trying to make a decission on how to (or not) spell decision...! ;)

To be honest it is not a big issue really and certainly not even slightly comparable to making monkey noises at black people. It is also pretty blinkered to call Welsh people sheep ****gers, however, as I for one know many Welsh people and some of them don't do this.

JohnnyFartPants

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingeletiss

Thought about this DD, and I disagree. IMHO, Crouch (If returned) would not make sacking Wotte his first priority. If he was a popular manager with fans and players alike, the I suspect he would stay.

Do not judge Crouch by Lowe's standards...that's like saying your Jonahs twin, or Johnnywet my pants by day.

Do pipe down you knackered old ginger fossil.

Now then JFP, don't you go handing out advice about insulting people:roll:

I fail to see not attending a game to watch the team I support as the best course of action. I find it pittiful in this day and age.

Sorry about the miss-spelling

Hang on. You started by saying you would give this one a miss, now feel you shouldn't have to. Don't then. Just make a decision and I'll tell you what, I will back you all the way. You needn't even tell me what it is.

If you're going to call that 'racist' then surely you would have to put calling Pompey fans 'skates' etc. in the same bracket.

I am surprised that being called a sheep****ger would cause any real emotional suffering for a Welshman. If you stand back and think about it, it is a ridiculous accusation, unless of course you do have relations with sheep. A group of Welshmen at a football match, I think they have a rough idea that they are going to get some stick, yet they keep coming back.

Sorry about the miss-spelling

How can you be annoyed about football banter.

Where have you been all these years? How the **** is being accused of ****ging a sheep racist?;)

Lock this thread please!

If you're going to call that 'racist' then surely you would have to put calling Pompey fans 'skates' etc. in the same bracket.

I am surprised that being called a sheep****ger would cause any real emotional suffering for a Welshman. If you stand back and think about it, it is a ridiculous accusation, unless of course you do have relations with sheep. A group of Welshmen at a football match, I think they have a rough idea that they are going to get some stick, yet they keep coming back.

But surely it would depend on how deep and meaningful the relationship was for you to really be offended!:)

JohnnyFartPants

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingeletiss

Thought about this DD, and I disagree. IMHO, Crouch (If returned) would not make sacking Wotte his first priority. If he was a popular manager with fans and players alike, the I suspect he would stay.

Do not judge Crouch by Lowe's standards...that's like saying your Jonahs twin, or Johnnywet my pants by day.

Do pipe down you knackered old ginger fossil.

Now then JFP, don't you go handing out advice about insulting people:roll:

Oh look, it was a response to the angry fossil.

The sheep issue is covered by musical licence, and you can buy them from most newsagents, as long as it is in a song it is okay.

You wouldn't go up to someone in the street and ask them where their caravan was but you are allowed to sing old folk songs, it is tradition.

Inviting your children to shoot our near neighbours and hanging the chairman from a bridge are okay as long as they are in song....I think....maybe get the lawyers onto that one....can of worms, too late....

On a serious note - incidents that have crossed the line are the gas chamber noises and Munich references at Spurs and United, most other stuff is taken in the spirit of banter, and that is what you should expect if you go to a football stadium.

So, have we therefore established that any reference to fornication with livestock found freely roaming in the valleys around the green, green grass of home is definately not open to any racial connotations whatsoever and maybe freely deliberated about at SMS?

I would have thought that as a Welshman you might have found the behaviour of some of your fellow countrymen draped with Red Dragon flags more of an embarassment and something to miss.

Lets be honest,both Cardiff and Swansea fans resort to a lot of anti English abuse week in-week out.A mate at Swansea Uni c20 years ago told me how every home game at The Vetch would include "we'll never be mastered by you English bastards " sung to the red flag.

Do you think an approach to your compatriots not to offend "your English friends and neighbours" would be well received ?

Its a great shame you feel uncomfortable at the match,but I think its naive to expect it to cease.

Are the Welsh a different race to the English? I'm not so sure. It's possibly xenophobic, I'd imagine.

Celts,as opposed to Anglo-Saxons.Not that many engaging in the 'banter' will understand.

its banter mate get over it, its not as if the Cardiff/Swansea fans dont spend a large amount of time dishing out equally "offensive" anti-English banter. They take it and give it back as do we, everyone gets on with their life

Agreed.How often when England play football,and moreso rugby where the Welsh are concerned,do we hear them openly supporting or wearing the opponents shirts ?

Ask the Welsh (or Scots or Irish) if they are a different race from the English. You may get some interesting answers!

Noticed your avatar; can I have one saying "I beat or poke miserable old gits with spoons "? :)Or would that be deemed ageist,or moodist ? ;)

Does singing "ba,ba black sheep"* offend two minority groups for the price of one ?

*or a variation on it

It doesn't offend me as an Englishman when Cardiff or Swansea fans "Oh England, it's full of sh!t, oh England is full of sh!t, full of sh!t, sh!t and more sh!t" etc so don't see why some tired Sheep chants will offend them. We should sing "1-0 to the England" if we take the lead.

Directing monkey noises at a black player is clearly racist abuse aimed at an individual and is disgraceful. Chanting 'sheep****gers' at several thousand cardiff fans who hear the same thing every week and often sing it back themselves when they score/are winning etc. is just part of the banter between sets of fans.

I doubt most are genuinely offended by such nonsense unless they really do sexually abuse sheep.

Well, not all of them ;)

Have you ever had sex with a sheep?

If the answer is no then I suggest you have nothing to worry about.:rolleyes:

p.s. My father is Welsh.