Milton Terrace Legend 'Dougal'

TijuanaTim

Was asked on the other site if he was still amongst us. Last time I was back and with some of the old Milton Road guys at Swansea no one mentioned anything drastic having happened to him, only Malcy said that he hadn't spoken with him in ages...So hopefully the big fella's okay.

Has anyone seen or heard of/from him in the last few months? Thanks.

I was quite a young Milton muppet back in the early nineties so don't remember names or faces too clearly. Sorry I can't help with your question.

however, it got me thinking about a chap I remember at that time who would turn up 60 seconds before kick off, without exception, move straight into the main throng and produce a bunch of celery and hold the bunch, triumphantly aloft as the left and right-side of the walkway would erupt into the celery song... Who was that guy?? He was in his late 20s/30s back then and wore a leather bikers jacket all the time... Now he's a legend!

John from Hedge End in the early 90's used to bring his bike into the Milton, used to be addicted to fruit gums and called everyone Superman.

Hedge End "legend" is Superman John, also know as "Scratchy" due to his trade as an engraver. Wears a (well worn) black Saints woolly hat every day, whatever the weather and calls everyone Superman. Always tells me (and anyone else he speaks to) to take my boots to the ground as I should get a game whenever I pass him in the Village.

Anyway, how the f*** did he get a bike into the Milton?

AKA John Titheridge

Indeed, I used to know him very well as we were both involved in the local printing industry.

A big Old English Sheepdog enthusiast (hence the nickname?).

Haven't seen him for years though - hope he's OK.

That guy with the celery ran on the pitch if i recall to stage a sit down protest. remember a guy nicknamed fareham, couple of guys who thought they were seals and Dave Lacey on the rightside

Edited by Right sider
bloody phone

Indeed, I used to know him very well as we were both involved in the local printing industry.

S'right, he always had OE Sheepdogs, I am a Lab man raising Guide Dogs these days so could talk canines as well as SFC. I forget which park it was, but when we played So'ton Sunday Prem games there he would frequently walk around with his dog, maybe making sure we behaved ourselves on his manor.

S'right, he always had OE Sheepdogs, I am a Lab man raising Guide Dogs these days so could talk canines as well as SFC. I forget which park it was, but when we played So'ton Sunday Prem games there he would frequently walk around with his dog, maybe making sure we behaved ourselves on his manor.

Clearly Rottweilers, Pit Bulls and all the other f*ck off dogs did not exist in those days. ;)

I remember Dougal taking on Newcastle single handed in the Dell car park after we were knocked out on away goals in the Fairs Cup. It took about 8 old bill to hold him down. Strong as an Ox. Second lieutenant was Bootsie, I recall.

Dougal is our leader, Dougal is our leader, la,la, la, la ....

I remember Dougal taking on Newcastle single handed in the Dell car park after we were knocked out on away goals in the Fairs Cup. It took about 8 old bill to hold him down. Strong as an Ox. Second lieutenant was Bootsie, I recall.

Dougal is our leader, Dougal is our leader, la,la, la, la ....

Bootsie was around for sure in those days, he kinda moved in different circles though. Bootsie's closest mate was Killer (not kidding you younger posters) Calloway. There was a lot from over the Wimpson area. John (Dougal) was more of a renegade, he his own little crowd of rogues that looked like they'd be more at home at a Sabbath concert. Big, long-haired and older than most of us. Intimidating looking like a Viking raiding party....been reminded he lived over by Fleming Park. Seriously, does anyone know his status?

On the old Saintsforever site someone wrote an account of saints trip to Pompey for a testimonial in the 70s, (John Milkins? ) any ideas who is was that wrote it?

All those names above, Dougal, Bootsie, Killer Calloway etc were mentioned, was a very good read.

The celery guy and the guy who sat in the centre circle are two different people. The dude who sat in the centre circle was called Steve im certain. Got a ban for that but managed to drop himself from the family centre into the milton at the end of the season. Celery bloke was alright but got a bit dull and full of himself after a bit. Looked after me and me mate at Chelsea away in the zds though when we was nippers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Oh THAT Jimmy Redpath. I was on that bloody coach as well

Jim Redpath, Jim Redpath - Southampton's leading psychopath.

He only runs when The Chelsea come...... was the tongue in cheek song dedicated to him!!

Died very young - I think he had some sort of thyroid problem or something. RIP buddy.

Meet Dougal once through work,its fair to say he didnt like the skates.

Redpath nearly got me killed on more than one occasion.

What about deaf and dumb Tony,the Millwall supporter or the deaf and dumb Indian lad.

On the old Saintsforever site someone wrote an account of saints trip to Pompey for a testimonial in the 70s, (John Milkins? ) any ideas who is was that wrote it?

All those names above, Dougal, Bootsie, Killer Calloway etc were mentioned, was a very good read.

I was with them that night, along with Malc Lovejoy,(or was it Lovelock) scarey

Always remember one match where some whirling dervish wearing a sheepskin jacket kept re-appearing in the middle of mayhem in the Archers.

Don't know if the police were being particularly lenient that day but after about the 3rd foray the rest of the ground had forgotten the match and was just laughing at this spectacle. Does someone remember was that Dougal?

Psycho Cousins...Bam Bam Brown...two more old school names to throw in...also anyone remember a bloke with a strawberry nevis type birthmark that used to stand in the Archers?...or the jolly green giant from Totton?

I was thinking about him after reading some posts on here, always stood back of the lower archers near the segregating fence , he must have been over 7 ft!

Psycho Cousins...Bam Bam Brown...two more old school names to throw in...also anyone remember a bloke with a strawberry nevis type birthmark that used to stand in the Archers?...or the jolly green giant from Totton?

That was probably colin tomkins , i went to football with him and timmy vokes , though a bit later.

Bootsie was around for sure in those days, he kinda moved in different circles though. Bootsie's closest mate was Killer (not kidding you younger posters) Calloway. There was a lot from over the Wimpson area. John (Dougal) was more of a renegade, he his own little crowd of rogues that looked like they'd be more at home at a Sabbath concert. Big, long-haired and older than most of us. Intimidating looking like a Viking raiding party....been reminded he lived over by Fleming Park. Seriously, does anyone know his status?

The last time I saw Dougal was at Fleming Park, and he had an OES running around him. Mind you that was probably 20 odd years ago now!

May well have been me. If mentioning Killer and Bootsie, that would have been about the characters that were around at the time as both of them may have had other things keeping them away from that game that night. I was right by Dougal at the end when it got really dodgy, it was a Friday night game and all hell broke loose....we went down on the train from Central with AJ, Alex Mac, Rob Jewwitt, Boo-Boo and a bunch of other Frontline Saints from the Western Wards of Fareham Gilo, Stubbington Jack, Bim etc.

It seemed like an army and upon arriving we promptly went straight in the Fratton End...not one of our better decisions. Because of the lack of games v the skates we had no idea about just how many they had plus the massive, violent hostility towards us. It was a real eye-opener, we got pressed out of there and under the side enclosure where most of the Thornhill and Sholing lads were . Right before kick off it went off on the pitch, a couple of skates ran at us with and banner and were quickly 're-directed' back to their appropriate area by Gary Clements, Kev Cousins and (I think) Steve Taylor.

In the game, i think we were 0-5 up by the half, humiliating their 'keeper John Milkens whose testimonial it was. To be fair there was a bit of a mass exodus at HT, no one faint of heart stayed. The lad whose dad owned a hardware store Rob O'D was it? Was on crutches (which could be utilized, if you get my drift) and Dougal told all of us young 'uns if we thought we were going 'we'd have to go through him first', not an appealing option. We won 0-7 and there was only a small band of us left at the end. The gauntlet back to Fratton station was a 'mare, pretty well everyone took a bit of a slapping. We were so different to them, there was no hiding. We were all growing longer hair, Rupert check and channel pleat trousers, Flemings jeans and penny collared shirts, whereas they were all still skins and suedes. The scenes at Fratton station were chaotic, the filth lost all control, besides winning the game and embarrassing them and one or two events we were pasted and almost completely overwhelmed....quite different from when we went back - especially in '84.....'live and learn'

It would be fascinating to see some stats from that night...i.e. scorers and attendance. I would be surprised if we took 4-500 there.

Remember all those names too. Wasn't Rhino about then too or a year or two later. Anyway, a google search for John Titheridge Dogs brings up a Boorley Green phone number- if anyone's brave enough.

I'll give him a bell....taking the 8 hour time difference into consideration of course, he ain't the right bloke to p!ss off.

May well have been me. If mentioning Killer and Bootsie, that would have been about the characters that were around at the time as both of them may have had other things keeping them away from that game that night. I was right by Dougal at the end when it got really dodgy, it was a Friday night game and all hell broke loose....we went down on the train from Central with AJ, Alex Mac, Rob Jewwitt, Boo-Boo and a bunch of other Frontline Saints from the Western Wards of Fareham Gilo, Stubbington Jack, Bim etc.

It seemed like an army and upon arriving we promptly went straight in the Fratton End...not one of our better decisions. Because of the lack of games v the skates we had no idea about just how many they had plus the massive, violent hostility towards us. It was a real eye-opener, we got pressed out of there and under the side enclosure where most of the Thornhill and Sholing lads were . Right before kick off it went off on the pitch, a couple of skates ran at us with and banner and were quickly 're-directed' back to their appropriate area by Gary Clements, Kev Cousins and (I think) Steve Taylor.

In the game, i think we were 0-5 up by the half, humiliating their 'keeper John Milkens whose testimonial it was. To be fair there was a bit of a mass exodus at HT, no one faint of heart stayed. The lad whose dad owned a hardware store Rob O'D was it? Was on crutches (which could be utilized, if you get my drift) and Dougal told all of us young 'uns if we thought we were going 'we'd have to go through him first', not an appealing option. We won 0-7 and there was only a small band of us left at the end. The gauntlet back to Fratton station was a 'mare, pretty well everyone took a bit of a slapping. We were so different to them, there was no hiding. We were all growing longer hair, Rupert check and channel pleat trousers, Flemings jeans and penny collared shirts, whereas they were all still skins and suedes. The scenes at Fratton station were chaotic, the filth lost all control, besides winning the game and embarrassing them and one or two events we were pasted and almost completely overwhelmed....quite different from when we went back - especially in '84.....'live and learn'

It would be fascinating to see some stats from that night...i.e. scorers and attendance. I would be surprised if we took 4-500 there.

just about sums it up, i remember walking in to Fratton feeling so tough, chased under the main stand and then spent an hour repelling pitch invasions from the fratton end. 500 may be an over estimate Tim

Hedge End "legend" is Superman John, also know as "Scratchy" due to his trade as an engraver. Wears a (well worn) black Saints woolly hat every day, whatever the weather and calls everyone Superman. Always tells me (and anyone else he speaks to) to take my boots to the ground as I should get a game whenever I pass him in the Village.

I dont have a clue how he did it, you know the **** racer he used to have? God knows just was there one Saturday afternoon by the little bookies in the Milton, legend John how old must he be now?

Pretty sure this is the same John I used to sit behind under the East Stand at The Dell. He talked non-stop throughout the game, normally fretting away. I used to call him 'Mr Running Commentary". I saw him recently - by the bike sheds not surprisingly (I say recently, could have been season before last).

He once spent the first 30 mins of a game berating Benali until I quietly pointed out he wasn't playing. Quite a character.

Vividly remember Mr Redpath too from the old 'Monster coach' days. Happy times.