From K.U.M.B. Website

croydonsaint

Let them have their day in the sun. They scored more goals than us. We had more possession, more shots, more attempts on goal ... but we didn't convert them. Until we do, we won't win enough games of football to progress to Champions League. sure West Ham or Newcastle will Not, either.

Fixed it for you.

You people do realise all it is is some helmet, giving his opinion on a West Ham mongboard? It carries no more weight or means no more than Bexy and his shuddering at West Ham playing in the champions league, Lambert1979 claiming they are more deluded than the skates. Seriously, who cares?

Edited by Turkish

there was a time when peopel thought we were as big as spurs and everton

Bigger wasn't it? IIRC this was claimed when we were in championship. The claim we had more match going fans than Everton definitely was, because they averaged 37,000 that season in a 40,000 capacity stadium and we sold out against Bolton in 2002 and we would show how massive we are with the mad scramble for tickets week in week out when we get back in the premier league or something.

On the whole, though, what could Pochettino do in Southampton that he couldn't do in the East End, only more so? Oh I don't know...perhaps that he has the quite considerable resource of the best academy in English football, which has delivered Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain & Nathan Dyer in recent years, with Shaw, James Ward-Prowse, Callum Chambers, Sam Gallagher, and Harrison Reed all coming through. West Ham, despite our history of bringing through decent young players, haven't produced anyone close to the standard of player that Saints are have been producing over the past decade. Noble, a great servant, possesses no where near the technical qualities of someone like their Lallana. That is because Southampton coach their young players in a particular style of football and have been doing so for a considerable amount of time, and Pochettino - who placed a massive onus on developing youngsters at Espanyol - what was brought into accelerate their development. Can you seriously imagine West Ham having the technical qualities to implement his pressing style? Why would he come to West Ham when he quite clearly enjoys developing young players, and our academy is now light years behind Saints? He wouldn't, because this club reeks of short-termism and is quite content to play as turgid a style possible so long as it brings the requisite 40 points per season. This article is laughable in its ignorance and stupidity. We may have won at the weekend but we rode our luck, and on another day, we could have easily lost that game. I, for one, am deeply envious of the potential that there is at Saints and good luck to them. Doing it in the right way.

This was one of the comments, thought it was pretty spot on tbf.

there was a time when peopel thought we were as big as spurs and everton

Who thought that? Name some names.

There is a possibility of us gaining a higher league spot than them at some point in the future, as we have in the past, but of course that isn't the same thing.

That is spot on and to be fair the view of most proper fans. I know a few of the locals round here and also some Spurs fans i know have also have desribed us as "doing it the proper way"

For all the plaudits given to MP it should be remembered that the players were here and being taught their technical skills long before he was, he may have got the best out of some of the players at his disposal but the foundations were in place before his arrival.

no more deluded that we can get 4th with sensible pricing and the likes of isgrove and targett

Wes Ender was one of those that claimed that the champions league is possible for Saints and all that was needed was a good manager and a good academy. He seems to have forgotten his claims.

we would need to spend circa £100m on 5 players and they have an impact like lovren to have any chance of top 4

It's difficult to put a figure on it. We're probably 3 players away from being able to challenge the top 4-6 in terms of first XI. Another quality centre back, a quality striker and another attacking midfield player (asuming Ramirez doesn't come good), so you're talking £30-£40m minimum there. Even then though the depth of the squad still wouldn't be there. As capable as the likes of Fonte, Cork, Lambert, JWP, Davis, Gallagher, top 4-6 players who could do the business over a season when required to? You'd have to say no. So it truth although our first XI might only be two or three players short or squad is probably 8-10 players away from it.

Fixed it for you.

LOL. Yes agree, but I try not to be too confrontational or dogmatic. No, I can't see Wham or the Newcs making Champions League as they would have to take the place of one of the Big 4. We are still in the second tier in the Prem, and that is pretty good for a team that has only recently got back to the Prem.

It's difficult to put a figure on it. We're probably 3 players away from being able to challenge the top 4-6 in terms of first XI. Another quality centre back, a quality striker and another attacking midfield player (asuming Ramirez doesn't come good), so you're talking £30-£40m minimum there. Even then though the depth of the squad still wouldn't be there. As capable as the likes of Fonte, Cork, Lambert, JWP, Davis, Gallagher, top 4-6 players who could do the business over a season when required to? You'd have to say no. So it truth although our first XI might only be two or three players short or squad is probably 8-10 players away from it.

This sums it up well. There is just too much depth in the squads of the teams above us for us to realistically compete much higher than we are right now. I doubt we'd ever be able to spend the money required unless we had an owner who wanted to emulate Chelsea or City. Our hope is that the academy will continue to provide reliable Premier League quality players like Chambers and JWP but also every few years produce someone special like Bale who can either be sold for mega bucks and/or inspire the team to finish a few places higher.

On the whole, though, what could Pochettino do in Southampton that he couldn't do in the East End, only more so? Oh I don't know...perhaps that he has the quite considerable resource of the best academy in English football, which has delivered Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain & Nathan Dyer in recent years, with Shaw, James Ward-Prowse, Callum Chambers, Sam Gallagher, and Harrison Reed all coming through. West Ham, despite our history of bringing through decent young players, haven't produced anyone close to the standard of player that Saints are have been producing over the past decade. Noble, a great servant, possesses no where near the technical qualities of someone like their Lallana. That is because Southampton coach their young players in a particular style of football and have been doing so for a considerable amount of time, and Pochettino - who placed a massive onus on developing youngsters at Espanyol - what was brought into accelerate their development. Can you seriously imagine West Ham having the technical qualities to implement his pressing style? Why would he come to West Ham when he quite clearly enjoys developing young players, and our academy is now light years behind Saints? He wouldn't, because this club reeks of short-termism and is quite content to play as turgid a style possible so long as it brings the requisite 40 points per season. This article is laughable in its ignorance and stupidity. We may have won at the weekend but we rode our luck, and on another day, we could have easily lost that game. I, for one, am deeply envious of the potential that there is at Saints and good luck to them. Doing it in the right way.

Heck, what a learned fan they have in their midst.

Good assessment.

I may have got a bit caught up earlier in the season, but I did also say I knew it wouldn't last so was enjoying it while it did. I'm not really bothered by that. To be honest, I have no problem with where we are now. If the ambitions is to keep trying to look upwards, and we fall short - if falling short is 7th-10th, I'm comfortable with that really.

I enjoyed the attempts to upset the applecart, as it were, and I'm not really embarrassed by that.

Though I'm a dreaded happy person.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove
typo

I agree with this, however, by adding those three players, you then get more depth as the current first teamers would hopefully still be there fighting for places along with any new academy products. So I would hope that over the next 2/3 seasons our squad would continue to improve with maybe 2 additional players each year of first team quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkish

Wes Ender was one of those that claimed that the champions league is possible for Saints and all that was needed was a good manager and a good academy. He seems to have forgotten his claims.

Although I have him on ignore, if people will quote him, then I feel that I ought to correct the mistaken impression that he is giving other posters by remarks like this one.

I didn't say that and I challenge him to find the post and put it up here. He won't be able to. I can't forget something that I never said, so that is typical of the wind-up merchant's MO too

I might have posted that it was not impossible to get into the Champions League, because that is not something that can be ruled out willy-nilly, unlikely as it would seem, but that isn't the same as predicting that we will get there anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkish :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Although I have him on ignore, if people will quote him, then I feel that I ought to correct the mistaken impression that he is giving other posters by remarks like this one.

I didn't say that and I challenge him to find the post and put it up here. He won't be able to. I can't forget something that I never said, so that is typical of the wind-up merchant's MO too

I might have posted that it was not impossible to get into the Champions League, because that is not something that can be ruled out willy-nilly, unlikely as it would seem, but that isn't the same as predicting that we will get there anytime soon.

Like man walking on the moon or climbing Everest, yes?

Like man walking on the moon or climbing Everest, yes?

I've got Love Me Tender on ignore, but why does anyone give this f****ing windbag any time, time that could be better spent picking your nose. He hasn't got a f****ing clue, as this classic post will testify:

There are still a few things that rankle with me having slept on it and spent some time researching this new guy Pochettino.

I recall well the first time that we had the opportunity to meet Cortese when Markus Liebherr took us over. It was at one of those fans' forums at St Mary's. Cortese declared that the club belonged to the fans and that they were only custodians. It was also clear that they had considered taking us over in the first place because we had a reputation of being a family club, with all the values and attributes that go with it. It is because those values seem to have been ridden over roughshod that I feel so betrayed by Cortese.

I admired his ambition and had suspected that in order to achieve it, he would have to be ruthless along the way and that many would be upset by the fallout. But in Nigel Adkins we seemed to have somebody capable of taking us to where Cortese wanted us to be, having gained us automatic promotion in two consecutive seasons and showing signs of adapting to the Premiership with no experience of managing there before. But Adkins was also a promising young manager, skilled in man-management, intelligent and articulate, honest and decent too. There was the prospect that we could grow together with a loyal manager, and replicate the success that stability brought us under Lawrie over many years to come.

So I mourn the brutal ending of that dream, realising that Cortese felt that he was not prepared to build gradually, that his ambition meant that he had to have instant results in our upward development, or he would gamble on another throw of the dice and bring in somebody who he felt had the credentials to achieve this quicker transition. But it is a massive gamble. We now have a young dynamic manager, but one who has no experience of English football management, let alone Premiership experience. Added to that, he hardly speaks any English. So how will he be able to employ man-management skills (if he has them), via an interpreter? How will his tactical plans translate themselves? I worry having read about the man, that his tactics are to play hard and in the oppositions face. His team had a very high count of cards, contrasting to our good disciplinary record. How long will that take to work through the system and do we have the cover for suspended or injured players that will follow such a policy? Do we in fact have the type of players to play that way anyway?

The mature position is to allow him the opportunity to prove himself, regardless of any doubts that we have about his abilities and I will wait and see how he fares.

But nothing on Earth is going to prevent me from chanting Nigel Adkins' name for most of the match on Monday. Frankly I don't care whether it unsettles the team. It will be for the one match and if as I'm certain, the majority of vocal fans also take it up, then a clear message will be sent to Cortese that we are very unhappy about the way that Adkins has been treated and that our support cannot be taken for granted.

I've highlighted the crucial phrases that proves, beyond a shadow of doubt, that Love Me Tender is a laughing stock and should go out, buy a bell, get a couple of tattoo's and fu ck off to Fratton.

that's a bit rough GM, we all said a lot of dumb stuff when Atkins got unexpectedly binned off! I remember myself i said cortese could go f*ck himself + that i hardly cared what happened to southampton anymore. Tempers ran high yo! My own tantrum prob lasted until about 20mins into the everton game when i thought, you know, we're playing quite well. I'm v.two faced like that.

that's a bit rough GM, we all said a lot of dumb stuff when Atkins got unexpectedly binned off! I remember myself i said cortese could go f*ck himself + that i hardly cared what happened to southampton anymore. Tempers ran high yo! My own tantrum prob lasted until about 20mins into the everton game when i thought, you know, we're playing quite well. I'm v.two faced like that.

So it was you and Love Me that were chanting Adkins name...

That's good of you to acknowledge that there were high emotions when that happened, Bearsy and many were guilty of knee-jerk reactions.

But Misguided can go off the deep end when people just disagree with his opinion. You only have to look back on the Climate Change thread to see that he doesn't take kindly to other posters having the nerve to diasagree with all of his immense knowledge on everything and when they started running rings around his knowledge gained through his ability to cut and paste, he lost his rag royally.

But whilst he's good at finding all these little nuggets in an effort to make him look good in his own mirror, I took his advice from an earlier occasion and resurfaced an absolute pearler from him in the past too.

Quote Originally Posted by Misguided Missile

Rather than Colonel Blimp, I come from the school of philosophy that asks the question, "If You're so F***ing Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?". Well, I happen to be rich and I'm guessing from your deep concerns that someone's getting rich from your bank account, that you're not.

So, excuse me if I don't rush out and buy any of the reading material that feed your envy. They have obviously landed you in a bitter place of lower middle class poverty that is somewhere I don't want to visit...

Saint Bletch:

Genuinely pleased for you, but out of interest what measurement of wealth are you using?

Misguided Missile:

Tens of thousands....

So judging by his ego trip on his own life story thread, where he is irrestistible to any Yank secretary in a skirt, he lost several fortunes and is now reduced to being rich from earning only tens of thousands a year. :lol:

That's good of you to acknowledge that there were high emotions when that happened, Bearsy and many were guilty of knee-jerk reactions.

But Misguided can go off the deep end when people just disagree with his opinion. You only have to look back on the Climate Change thread to see that he doesn't take kindly to other posters having the nerve to diasagree with all of his immense knowledge on everything and when they started running rings around his knowledge gained through his ability to cut and paste, he lost his rag royally.

But whilst he's good at finding all these little nuggets in an effort to make him look good in his own mirror, I took his advice from an earlier occasion and resurfaced an absolute pearler from him in the past too.

Quote Originally Posted by Misguided Missile

Saint Bletch:

Misguided Missile:

So judging by his ego trip on his own life story thread, where he is irrestistible to any Yank secretary in a skirt, he lost several fortunes and is now reduced to being rich from earning only tens of thousands a year. :lol:

Don't think you've got this one quite right.

The "I'm rich" and "tens of thousands" comments were pretty close together. I was left with the impression that GM thought 10s of thou was a lot of money. Certainly enough to make you feel secure for maybe a couple of years, but by no means Scrooge McDuck levels of wealth.

I was also reliably informed by a West Ham fan that Lallana is '****ing useless and completely out of his depth for England, and that Noble should be picked. Oh, and that Yoshida is Chinese. No point on getting wound up by it, just laugh at the clueless dumb ****s.

I don't mind Noble, and I'm sure that if he was a Saints player fans would like him.

I don't see the point in comparing him to Lallana - they are different players, that do different jobs I feel. Noble to Davis would be a fairer comparison imo.

I was also reliably informed by a West Ham fan that Lallana is '****ing useless and completely out of his depth for England, and that Noble should be picked. Oh, and that Yoshida is Chinese. No point on getting wound up by it, just laugh at the clueless dumb ****s.

If you judged it on Saturday's performances then they'd probably be right actually.

Pity England announce their squad so late, Thursday for the following Wednesday seems very tardy to me, not that the players don't already know of course. Still got a feeling that WC hopes are adversely affecting our performances, some trying too hard,

some easing up so as not to get injured.

This is comedy gold, I have not posted all day and look at the state of you all, at each others throats and being well everything you say I am, funny that people only see what they want to when they look in the mirror.

Back to football, it was shockingly patronising but a few of us never bought into the Champions League dream, I for one laughed at the notion, to be in the big boys League you have to spend big to get a quality squad, its painfully obvious we are a long way from that and we only spent real money in one transfer window and look how that turned out. We should look at the domestic scene before Europe ie winning a Cup or two.

Don't think you've got this one quite right.

The "I'm rich" and "tens of thousands" comments were pretty close together. I was left with the impression that GM thought 10s of thou was a lot of money. Certainly enough to make you feel secure for maybe a couple of years, but by no means Scrooge McDuck levels of wealth.

Green Shoots thread, posts 624 onwards. Saint Bletch's post followed immediately on from Misguided's. It prompted me to post the You Tube "I seem to be richer than yo" sketch and Saint Bletch to post the Doctor Evil 1 million sketch in response to your post.

Maybe Saint Bletch and me both misunderstood, but the impression was given by his response to the highlighted bit by Bletch that he was talking about his earnings.

This is comedy gold, I have not posted all day and look at the state of you all, at each others throats and being well everything you say I am, funny that people only see what they want to when they look in the mirror.

Back to football, it was shockingly patronising but a few of us never bought into the Champions League dream, I for one laughed at the notion, to be in the big boys League you have to spend big to get a quality squad, its painfully obvious we are a long way from that and we only spent real money in one transfer window and look how that turned out. We should look at the domestic scene before Europe ie winning a Cup or two.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

That is spot on and to be fair the view of most proper fans. I know a few of the locals round here and also some Spurs fans i know have also have desribed us as "doing it the proper way"

For all the plaudits given to MP it should be remembered that the players were here and being taught their technical skills long before he was, he may have got the best out of some of the players at his disposal but the foundations were in place before his arrival.

Difference is that MP actually will give the youngsters a shot. There are quite a few managers out there that wouldn't which for the national game isn't great.

i thought we was all rubbing along quite nicely tbh!

How do you rate west ham's champions league prospects B?

As good as ours, in a few years far higher probably due to expansion of it, investment in West Ham (normally happens in clubs that have a new ground) and more fans than us. Of course the 21 year old fan will disagree and see us as one of the big clubs in the League when we are in fact 15-25 largest in the Country.