DM: Mauricio Pochettino has failed this season

Glasgow_Saint

But the point is for a mid-table Premier League side, with nothing to play for in the league, surely the FA CUp should become our priority?

we we're 3 points behind man yoo and 6 points behind everton, and 11 points behind spurs. for context everton were 11 points behind arsenal at the same stage.

no denying our season has tailed off but we we're still in the chase for a top 5 finish, if anything this defeat only highlighted our lack of depth in the squad and the fact that we still have a championship quality bench.

But surely Mopo picked his side without knowing the Sunderland side?

Mopo has failed to beat Sunderland in 5 attempts (W0 D3 L2) so why did he suddenly think a weakened Saints side could win, when he's failed to beat them with a full strengh team?

Why weaken the team at all? we had nothing to play for in the league.....

He messed up & I agree 100% with Adrian Durham

Or did he maybe think he needed another starting XI this game because he didn´t win any of the previous...

No, you're missing the point. We should have tried our best to win the Sunderland cup game, do you not agree?

Assistant manager Jesus Perez on why Southampton made six changes: "Obviously, it was a tough game against Hull [on Tuesday], we played away as well, we came home late and some of our players were not fully recovered and we decided the best players to play today.

"For us, every single player is important and useful for us and it doesn't matter who is on the pitch.

"There was a lack of freshness, that's obvious, but nothing more."

we we're 3 points behind man yoo and 6 points behind everton, and 11 points behind spurs. for context everton were 11 points behind arsenal at the same stage.

no denying our season has tailed off but we we're still in the chase for a top 5 finish, if anything this defeat only highlighted our lack of depth in the squad and the fact that we still have a championship quality bench.

But the club should have already known about the lack of depth in the squad, we weren't anywhere near strong enough to undertake that kind of mad run that would see us qualify for Europe - getting to Wembley via the FA Cup was a possibility though, based on the need to just win a couple of games.

Assistant manager Jesus Perez on why Southampton made six changes: "Obviously, it was a tough game against Hull [on Tuesday], we played away as well, we came home late and some of our players were not fully recovered and we decided the best players to play today.

"For us, every single player is important and useful for us and it doesn't matter who is on the pitch.

That proves my point.

Love how people trot out all the old "lost 5 of the last 8" to make their point but then expected us to have won 4 of 4 to win the cup (or 3 of 4 so that they can put their grandson on their knee and tell them about the 2 times we lost to Arsenal in a cup final).

Well put pal..

Whilst we are all dissapointed with the cup outcome some are less

upset and understand things a little better...

Cant believe people are still snivelling over it...

If we had beat Sunderland we could have lost the next one...

Well put pal..

Whilst we are all dissapointed with the cup outcome some are less

upset and understand things a little better...

Cant believe people are still snivelling over it...

If we had beat Sunderland we could have lost the next one...

Would have been nice to acutally attempt it 100%, when is the open top parade for coming 8th10th? It will be a ripper.

He is lying surely? Guly important? Pray tell.

Would have been nice to acutally attempt it 100%, when is the open top parade for coming 8th10th? It will be a ripper.

Don't worry, pretty sure I remember plenty of people saying how brilliant it will be when we knock Man United off 7th place on the last day.

That will be ten times better than any cup final could ever be because it's, like, the league and stuff. The city will be rocking more than it did in 1976 when that thing with Man U definitely happens in a few weeks.

Can't wait to get hold of the commemorative DVD of the match/bus parade/key to the city for Pochettino ceremony. And just imagine how jealous people in Hull will be.

Don't worry, pretty sure I remember plenty of people saying how brilliant it will be when we knock Man United off 7th place on the last day.

That will be ten times better than any cup final could ever be because it's, like, the league and stuff. The city will be rocking more than it did in 1976 when that thing with Man U definitely happens in a few weeks.

Can't wait to get hold of the commemorative DVD of the match/bus parade/key to the city for Pochettino ceremony. And just imagine how jealous people in Hull will be.

:lol:

What a dishonest thread title. The DM article does not say that MP has "failed this season". It argues that he has "failed the club" by devaluing the FA Cup. An assessment of his season must focus primarily on the team's results in the League.

Not the same thing.

He looks a bnroken man to me, maybe Liebherr has said something?

i went onto the os now to see if there was any recent pictures of ponch looking v.happy or v.sad. He weren't there at all tho, they was just going on about how our U21 boys lost 3-1 at home to "Nike Academy". This interested me! Who the f*ck is Nike Academy?

i went onto the os now to see if there was any recent pictures of ponch looking v.happy or v.sad. He weren't there at all tho, they was just going on about how our U21 boys lost 3-1 at home to "Nike Academy". This interested me! Who the f*ck is Nike Academy?

It's as it says on the box, an academy run by Nike for U20 players who haven't been signed by pro clubs. It's just another way to end up playing for Yeovil and Kidderminster.

What's happened has happened, why are we still discussing this lool...

Yes, I was annoyed and am still annoyed at what happened and what could've been, but lets move on...

This is a discussion board, strangely enough. I think the article is absolutely spot on.

I have never seen a man as look as lost as Pochettino, by this I mean anyone who has Guly on the bench must be prepapred to use him so therefore must be lost.

I do not think he has failed if you take the whole season into account, but I cannot see how anyone can say he took the FA Cup seriously when he let his assistant appear to be in charge and left him to explain how poor we were on the day.

Given we have moved up the table and now are clearly better than any bottom half team.. I do wonder what people were expecting.

MP has been hugely successful; although the Cup defeat was a shocking display; but lets not hide from the fact that most teams play squad players in the Cup these days.. the League is far more important.

What a dishonest thread title. The DM article does not say that MP has "failed this season". It argues that he has "failed the club" by devaluing the FA Cup. An assessment of his season must focus primarily on the team's results in the League.

Not the same thing.

"Mauricio Pochettino has failed this season. Let me tell you why"

The first line of the article. The first freaking line.

Given we have moved up the table and now are clearly better than any bottom half team.. I do wonder what people were expecting.

MP has been hugely successful; although the Cup defeat was a shocking display; but lets not hide from the fact that most teams play squad players in the Cup these days.. the League is far more important.

Not when you are locked in mid table with no relegation or European spots to avoid/play for.

Nope, you never see the bigger picture do you ?

If we take hull, and say the don't beat arsenal, they will have made about £2.5m in prize money and they will qualify for europe. going on current positions, and last years prize money (this years is considerably higher anyway) the financial difference between hull in 13th and us in 8th is £3.8m.

Are we playing for money or playing for glory?

He picked the players that were most fit and on form that day. Unless you were standing next to him on the training pitch then on the bus and in the dressing room, it's difficult to argue with that.
Do you honestly think we were 100% focused on the game? MP couldn't even bother to do a minute of media work for the whole game.

Do you honestly think we were 100% focused on the game? MP couldn't even bother to do a minute of media work for the whole game.

Do you honestly think players bother who it is in the management staff that spends time with Alex Boring-Crook and Simone Peaches??

Do you honestly think players bother who it is in the management staff that spends time with Alex Boring-Crook and Simone Peaches??
No I don't, not sure where I've suggested they do either?

Do you think Saints were 100% focused on the Sunderland FA Cup game?

No I don't, not sure where I've suggested they do either?

Do you think Saints were 100% focused on the Sunderland FA Cup game?

Who were the "we" then who wasn´t 100% focused in the game in your opinion?

Yes I do. Some games you win, some games you lose.

Who were the "we" then who wasn´t 100% focused in the game in your opinion?

Yes I do. Some games you win, some games you lose.

Our manager and his choice of first XI. How many other games has Sam McQueen came on when we're chasing a win so far this season?

Aww players were tired after the Hull game.... Sure thats reasonable :lol:

You play on the Tuesday - youll be tired on the Saturday, that makes sense.

Funny though...when it came to the league:

Tuesday Jan 28th we played Arsenal and then that Saturday we played Fulham. Total changes = 1

Sun 22nd played Spurs, Thurs 26th played Cardiff and Sunday 29th played Everton. Total changes 2

Sunday 1st December played Chelsea, Weds 4th played Villa. Changes 1

Tuesday 11th played Hull, Saturday 15th played Sunderland. Changes 6 :?

Aww players were tired after the Hull game.... Sure thats reasonable :lol:

You play on the Tuesday - youll be tired on the Saturday, that makes sense.

Funny though...when it came to the league:

Tuesday Jan 28th we played Arsenal and then that Saturday we played Fulham. Total changes = 1

Sun 22nd played Spurs, Thurs 26th played Cardiff and Sunday 29th played Everton. Total changes 2

Sunday 1st December played Chelsea, Weds 4th played Villa. Changes 1

Tuesday 11th played Hull, Saturday 15th played Sunderland. Changes 6 :?

Let it go. We didn't win the cup, but have done pretty well in the league. Last year we didn't win the cup and just stayed up. Progress.

We would all love a cup win. But the team played like cr*p against a 2nd rate Sunderland team. I was p*ssed about it. Then got over it and moved on. I hope next year we can get into top six and win the cup. Then again, knowing Saints, we are just as likely to go bust or get relegated. In three years time we will have forgotten about cup defeat and 8th place, I am pretty sure about that.

This is utterly boring...we got knocked out. We will play in the FA Cup next season. There is 100% ZERO rational argument that we would definitely have beat Sunderland with another team on the day, or got to Wembley thereafter. Also, Rickie Lambert, our most prolific centre forward of recent times quite clearly missed a golden opportunity. Having a different centre-back had ZERO affect on this.

The discussion on this season's FA Cup competition and our performance in it is a poison upon reality. It is genuinely surely time to move on!

This is utterly boring...we got knocked out. We will play in the FA Cup next season. There is 100% ZERO rational argument that we would definitely have beat Sunderland with another team on the day, or got to Wembley thereafter. Also, Rickie Lambert, our most prolific centre forward of recent times quite clearly missed a golden opportunity. Having a different centre-back had ZERO affect on this.

The discussion on this season's FA Cup competition and our performance in it is a poison upon reality. It is genuinely surely time to move on!

You're not as daft as your moniker suggests !

Good job then that no-one has suggested we aren't playing in the FA Cup next season or that we'd definitely beat Sunderland or get to Wembley.