Chelsea vs Southampton KO moved for TV

Ulrich van Gobbel

Why?

1.30 KO means less pub time and earlier start in the morning. Early kick offs lead to subdued away support due to less drinking time. Being on TV means we'll take a lower allocation there. Sunday means trains aren't as often/could be engineering works. Can't have as much of a drink as many will have work the next day. Just a few reasons there.

1.30 KO means less pub time and earlier start in the morning. Early kick offs lead to subdued away support due to less drinking time. Being on TV means we'll take a lower allocation there. Sunday means trains aren't as often/could be engineering works. Can't have as much of a drink as many will have work the next day. Just a few reasons there.

And all of them connected to drinking.

Love the link between drinking and football, is being a saints fan really that unbearable that you can't manage it unless your half cut? do you find singing songs and cheering too embarrassing unless your beered up? If alcohol is a pre-requisite of enjoying something then the chances are it really isn't that good in the first place that's why people get beered up to go clubbing etc because sober it's dull as dishwater!

Love the link between drinking and football, is being a saints fan really that unbearable that you can't manage it unless your half cut? do you find singing songs and cheering too embarrassing unless your beered up? If alcohol is a pre-requisite of enjoying something then the chances are it really isn't that good in the first place that's why people get beered up to go clubbing etc because sober it's dull as dishwater!

You sound like my mum

He doesn't say it is unbearable does he? Just that it'd be the preference of most of our away support to make a day of it up in London and have a good few beers. I'd say 90% of our support at Newcastle on Saturday were p***d up, as with a lot of away games.

I think pretty much all our match going fans would prefer 3pm on a Saturday to a Sunday lunchtime.

I'm in agreement with Griffo, Sunday lunchtime games are always woeful for atmosphere.

Saturday 5:30 games the crowd is usually at it's best, probably due to the fact that everyone is sloshed by then.

if its like last season,i think I'll stay in the pub with griffo as the atmosphere was worst all season

My company is one of Chelsea's sponsors so I'll be in corporate for this one with clients. It'll be the first time I've ever watched Saints live not sat with fellow supporters.. I'm not sure I'll be able to contain myself when Pellè pops up with a last minute winner after a day of free boozing!

You don't need booze to enjoy yourself you know. What a sad life you must lead.

I shall likely attend this match now. I tend to avoid 3pm saturday kick offs due to the drunken louts in our fan base who seem to revel in drinking as much as possible before attending soccerball matches and embarassing the club with their rude, aggresive and obnixious behaviour. 1.30 sunday kick offs are the perfect time for me. I shall stay at Grans house where I enjoy saturday kitchens best bites on BBC2 before heading the game safe in the knowledge that the unruly element will not have had time to become intoxicated. I can watch the game from my seat in peace and analyse the performance of our players without being irked by the tedious chanting of the mindless, drunken minority who are stuck in the 80s.

there are Engineering works so all trains from Southampton go via Guildford

I'm in agreement with Griffo, Sunday lunchtime games are always woeful for atmosphere.

Saturday 5:30 games the crowd is usually at it's best, probably due to the fact that everyone is sloshed by then.

Agree, Newcastle was probably the best in a while as I'm not sure anyone was entirely sober! Sunday games are just awful in every way.

Obviously prefer a Saturday kickoff (the US would have got the game live anyway).

Still, in terms of going and getting a result, the change might help us as the away side. Seen loads of games where the atmosphere is **** and the home team can't feed off it. A sluggish, scrappy game might also suit the underdog.

More tea vicar?

Since when have there been no Prem games for the weekend of the FA Cup quarters? (weekend before Sat 7 March). (or the 5th Rd).

It was always no top flight games were scheduled for the 3rd & 4th rounds. Now the 5th & 6th as well?

Put me down for 3pm Sat - a way better day out than 1.30pm on a Sunday. Full stop.

Thinking about booking away travel to other upcoming away fixtures, where do the televised fixtures take us to, end of March or beyond.

For those thinking about Everton away, that one looks like a nightmare by train. The usual Euston to Lime Street trains aren't running at all and Reading Station is shut so the Cross Country trains to Manchester are going different routes.

St Paddy's is 17th March this year.

I think its bad news because we are often **** when we have an early kick-off.

Not unexpected though is it if the players have only had time for a quick half before the match? Alehouse Brawlers? Seeing the players on the bus and in the bookies before the game isn't it? Couple of Woodbines and splashing on the embrocation, soccer's gone soft somewhere along the way.

Since when have there been no Prem games for the weekend of the FA Cup quarters? (weekend before Sat 7 March). (or the 5th Rd).

It was always no top flight games were scheduled for the 3rd & 4th rounds. Now the 5th & 6th as well?

Put me down for 3pm Sat - a way better day out than 1.30pm on a Sunday. Full stop.

You're right, I've just had a look at the fixtures and there is a full round of Premier League games on the Tue/Wed preceding these two weekends.

For those thinking about Everton away, that one looks like a nightmare by train. The usual Euston to Lime Street trains aren't running at all and Reading Station is shut so the Cross Country trains to Manchester are going different routes.
Yeah, completely stuffed for trains up to Liverpool on that weekend.

Cheers for the heads up. That's one I'm particularly interested in. But it's around £80 a ticket from Euston as well.

That's great, I'm on a plane to Cuba on the 14th so was hacked off I'd miss it! Anyone know a bar in Havana to watch Saints?

had a great time in el hombro de cordero on Calle Empedrado a couple of years back when i watched Saints v Spurs. The owner Pedro is a great guy, an Atheletico Bilbao fan though but knew all about Saints and our history, not shy about the necking of shots of Anjelo reserva with you whilst on duty. Bar had a few canadian air stewardesses in there who had seen the Saints play before and by the end of the game were joining in with the We hate Pompey bit as Pedro and I sang Nigel Adkins red and white army. A few more reservas and cigars later and it got a bit hazy, but i can assure you if hanvana didn't know who Saints were at 1pm that day, they did by 1am the next, a couple of happy Canadian sweehearts too.:blush:

Thanks for the enlightenment Mother Thereasa!

I'll be in Australia for this, so hopefully be able to find a bar/pub showing it in the small hours out in Cairns.

had a great time in the Kangaroos Pouch on Florence Street over there a couple of years back when i watched Saints v Derby. The owner Bruce is a great guy, a Melborne Fury fan though but knew all about Saints and our history, not shy about blowing the froth off a Castlemaine XXXX with you whilst on duty. Bar had a few Dutch air stewardesses in there who had seen the Saints play before and by the end of the game were joining in with the We hate Pompey bit as Bruce and I sang George Burleys red and white army. A few more Fosters later and it got a bit hazy, but i can assure you if Cairns didn't know who Saints were at 1pm that day, they did by 1am the next, a couple of happy Dutch sweehearts too.