Feeder Clubs

EBS1980

With Les saying we are looking to partner up with a lower league team and an overseas team to aid the development of our younger players who do you think the likely options are?

I would imagine we would be looking L1 and possibly a Dutch or Belguim team?

Thoughts?

Not sure about 'feeder club' status, I don't really like that phrase.

But yes, one of the clubs we are close with right now is Yeovil: http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/Southampton-links-help-Yeovil-Town-18s-expand/story-29313927-detail/story.html

Maybe to start with while their academy gets established but I wouldn't think Yeovil would want our players blocking their new recruits to the first team. Of course, it depends on numbers.

Perhaps a team like Swindon would be more likely, if locality is a key requirement. A team that would perform well in league one with aspirations to get into the championship.

Not sure about 'feeder club' status, I don't really like that phrase.

But yes, one of the clubs we are close with right now is Yeovil: http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/Southampton-links-help-Yeovil-Town-18s-expand/story-29313927-detail/story.html

there are quite a few " football phrases " that I don't like ...." journeyman" is one. Some people might have put Rickie Lambert, or even Shane Long in that one.

But the idea of also having somewhere for our U21 players to get game time is surely a good one.

Peterborough had a host of Man Utd. youth players on loan there whilst Darren Ferguson's Dad was in charge at Old Trafford.

Mittjylland had a number of Chelsea players in their set-up last season, and also had more than 30 others out on loan to various other clubs.

They'll probably have first refusal on any up-and-coming local talent from those clubs, so the basic principle is a good one.

So if it's all down to semantics....look for something more p.c. ....like " partners, or associates "

.......a rose any any other name .......

there are quite a few " football phrases " that I don't like ...." journeyman" is one. Some people might have put Rickie Lambert, or even Shane Long in that one.

But the idea of also having somewhere for our U21 players to get game time is surely a good one.

Peterborough had a host of Man Utd. youth players on loan there whilst Darren Ferguson's Dad was in charge at Old Trafford.

Mittjylland had a number of Chelsea players in their set-up last season, and also had more than 30 others out on loan to various other clubs.

They'll probably have first refusal on any up-and-coming local talent from those clubs, so the basic principle is a good one.

So if it's all down to semantics....look for something more p.c. ....like " partners, or associates "

It is Vitesse with the close links to Chelsea I believe. I think a couple of their players played at St Mary's against us in July

It is Vitesse with the close links to Chelsea I believe. I think a couple of their players played at St Mary's against us in July

It is Vitesse, they had 5 players on loan there last season, including Lewis Baker who plays for England U21. Sint-Truidense in Belgium are their other preferred cub for loans.

I can't agree with the premise that loaning out 30 players whilst retaining their registrations is a good basic principle !

Certainly it hasn't resulted in Chelsea bringing youngsters through their system, instead it is a hedge against increased player values and is only done for financial reasons !

A few loans are fine if it helps develop young talent but at Chelsea it is nothing more than cold hearted business IMHO !

Nothing wrong with the phrase "journeyman", only with how some people apply the term. A journeyman is someone that has completed an apprenticeship but is not a master craftsman. Therefore most professional footballers can be described as journeymen, whilst the best players (including SRL or Shane Long) would have graduated beyond that level.

The Portuguese league wouldn't be a bad one to target for a foreign partnership, some very good teams like Porto, Benfica and Sporting, and then quite a few small teams who might jump at the chance to get a bit of money and talent. Teams like Vitoria Guimaraes, Maritimo, Academica etc who occasionally get into Europe would be decent.

I know it would never happen but it would be ****ing great if it was Portsmouth. :lol::lol:

No it wouldn't. I want our youth players to do well when they are out on loan, if they do well whilst at Pompey, that helps Pompey. Do you really want to see that? Luckily it will never happen due to the rivalry intense between the two clubs for a partnership to help each other to be agreed.

you maybe correct, (?)....I'll not argue the point but if weren't for the idea of loans, a great many young players would disappear fromm the system after they were 21.

I can't agree with the premise that loaning out 30 players whilst retaining their registrations is a good basic principle !

Certainly it hasn't resulted in Chelsea bringing youngsters through their system, instead it is a hedge against increased player values and is only done for financial reasons !

A few loans are fine if it helps develop young talent but at Chelsea it is nothing more than cold hearted business IMHO !

oh yes thats pretty obvious, but it's down to their managers who had buy expensive foreign assets and ignored their own talent.

Having said that ..if they had kept the likes of Sturridge, Lukaku ....and even Bertrand, they might have finished a lot higher than they did.

pretty sure that neither Romeu or Cork would have made their squads, but they both D / DAJFU...in the same League.

Still I think it's a shame that youngsters go through the Chelsea youth system without realising they have very little chance of making the first team squad.

there are several other Prem. clubs (apart from Saints) who give their youngsters a chance - even if they don't all " gell " into the first team squad.

Nothing wrong with the phrase "journeyman", only with how some people apply the term. A journeyman is someone that has completed an apprenticeship but is not a master craftsman. Therefore most professional footballers can be described as journeymen, whilst the best players (including SRL or Shane Long) would have graduated beyond that level.

ah well, there's one that's down to interpretation, Whitey.

.....to me it suggests a player who's never quite good enough to settle in one club and is always on the move. Maybe not his fault, but insinuating negativity.

So we can agree to differ. ;)

pretty sure that neither Romeu or Cork would have made their squads, but they both D / DAJFU...in the same League.

David, you're wrong about Romeu. He played 33 games for Chelsea in 1 and a bit seasons, before he suffered a knee injury in Dec 2012 that kept him out for the rest of his second season. What happened after was a result of that injury and long absence and he never got consideration again, but not because he wasn't good enough as he demonstrated from 2011-2012.

David, you're wrong about Romeu. He played 33 games for Chelsea in 1 and a bit seasons, before he suffered a knee injury in Dec 2012 that kept him out for the rest of his second season. What happened after was a result of that injury and long absence and he never got consideration again, but not because he wasn't good enough as he demonstrated from 2011-2012.

I stand corrected ! :blush:

I really do not get why we didn't use Blackpool last season, league one no money and we could of easily lent them 2-3 players on loan to help with development, I think we should target teams like Bolton and Charlton.

Not sure if that's sarcastic or not, but have you seen the state of those clubs? I wouldn't want any of our players anywhere near them.

I really do not get why we didn't use Blackpool last season, league one no money and we could of easily lent them 2-3 players on loan to help with development, I think we should target teams like Bolton and Charlton.

Because a football club that has been a mess for a long time (and still is) isn't a good environment for Saints youngsters to develop. As Les Reed points out; he is looking for a stable club that plays good football, has good training & Saints can monitor things. Blackpool are a complete shambles, with a toxic atmosphere around the club and it would be a terrible place to send young players.

Not sure if that's sarcastic or not, but have you seen the state of those clubs? I wouldn't want any of our players anywhere near them.

This is true I did not think about the off the pitch politics, I was just thinking the players will get regular league one football.