Thoughts on Jose Fonte and Cedric?

JorgeAndrade

From my point of view, Fonte was already very much loved and respected by Saints fans anyway - the Euros cemented this. Awesome player for the club and a great captain.

Cedric still has a lot to prove, I like him as a player and I'm hoping the great Euros for him will make him an awesome player for us next year.

Just my view anyway.

Both have proved that they are not out of place at the international level. Fonte is our rick plus a great captain and has been for some years his marshalling of the defence is outstanding. Cedric will come good for us this season coming - by the sounds of things he is a natural fit for the way in which Puel likes to play.

Hi nice to have another fan posting. Fonte has been just superb for us, he's our captain and deservedly so.

You won't find many Saints fans he do not think he has been the dogs nuts for us for years so we all think he got something he richly deserved. perhaps the question should be back to you...has the Euros made Portugal appreciate him as much as we always have?

Fonte is an outstanding example of a player battling in the lower leagues and rising to the very top. Very few players, past the age of 25, represent their clubs in league 1 and rise to not only become a Premier League regular, but also one of the first names on the team sheet. To top it off, he is now a European Champion. Thoroughly deserved. I can't say the Euro's have me me like or appreciate Fonte any more than I already did, but it did make me very happy for both him and Cedric.

As for Cedric - I will like him more when he delivers consistently for Southampton FC. I don't think he did much wrong last year, but he seemed to play with more freedom for Portugal. Maybe that is a coaching issue, but I hope Cedric is going to have a great season in a Saints shirt.

Glad to see so many fans showing the love for Jose! Ahaha yeah Saint-Fred I agree 100 per cent watching him play for Portugal, he was absolutely solid and outstanding, the defensive understanding he was able to form with Pepe was incredible, he's such a commanding presence and leader and 100 per cent the Euros made me appreciate him a lot more. I always knew he was a good player from watching a few Saints games and was always impressed and always wanted him to get selected and he finally did last year! I don't know if many people will agree but I honestly think you guys have one of the best centre backs in the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see so many fans showing the love for Jose! Ahaha yeah Saint-Fred I agree 100 per cent watching him play for Portugal, he was absolutely solid and outstanding, the defensive understanding he was able to form with Pepe was incredible, he's such a commanding presence and leader and 100 per cent the Euros made me appreciate him a lot more. I always knew he was a good player from watching a few Saints games and was always impressed and always wanted him to get selected and he finally did last year! I don't know if many people will agree but I honestly think you guys have one of the best centre backs in the world!

It is you Jose !! ..... welcome to the forum.

I think you're being a bit modest ... you're the best centre back in the universe

Ŵ

It's no coincidence that Portugal conceded 4 goals when he didn't play and only 1 In the games he did play at the Euros! :-)

Jose Fonte is my favourite current player.

A cornerstone in our rise from league 1, it's no coincidence that three already excellent centre backs (Lovren, Alderweireld and Van Dijk) have looked even better alongside him. It's also certainly no coincidence that Portugal became rock-solid with him at the back, doing the dirty work while Pepe takes the plaudits. He is the relentless, ever present machine that keeps our, and your foundations strong.

That he has won one of the biggest trophies in world football as a Saint is wonderful, it will always be something I treasure.

Cedric, it was good to see what he can do, but he was pushed out of the team by right by a back up utility player from the dutch league. Whether he wasn't gelling with our ex manager or just distracted by the upcoming tournament, not sure. He has a lot to prove this season though.

Edited by Colinjb

ahaha exactly! There's no getting past Jose! I noticed Martina began to play towards the end of the Season instead of Cedric. Do you guys think Cedric will start more next season with this new manager?

Like others, I'm sure, I was proud, pleased (and relieved) that Jose had such a good Euros. I think there was possibly a doubt as to whether his good club form could be transferred onto the international stage. He proved beyond doubt that it could, therefore proving also what a class player he is.

He's the rock of Saints' defence and has become a true leader. He has the knack of also making other players alongside him look very good - maybe even better than they actually are (eg. Lovren).

Cedric showed at the Euros what an excellent player he can be. He had limited chances last season, but hopefully his success at the Euros can transfer into good form for the Saints. I like how he plays and he could be the final piece in Saints' defensive jigsaw, along with Jose, VvD & Bertrand. Good back four, that.

Fonte is an outstanding player and has been since he arrived. His performances for southampton in the premier league have been brilliant. Excellent captain for saints and a huge reason why we fly high at the moment.

The Euro success cemented his place as a legend at our club.

Cedric was a ok for us last year. some good performances with some not so good. More to prove on his league form I would say

Fonte was already a club legend in my book anyway. I was one that watched every game we played when he was playing for us in league one. I can't escape calling him fontay still because of it. Font sounds wrong. Maybe I sound like a mug saying fontay who knows.

He and Lambert were my favourite players as we came up the divisions. Fonte is the biggest club legend for me in recent times because of what he's done for us as a player and a leader. He's the only one that's stayed out of the stars we had in the lower leagues and he's now won the European championships to go along with the JP trophy.

Just take a look at the JP Trophy win Saints had with Fonte in the side and how much that meant to him and the others at the time. It's amazing the journey Fonte and Saints have been on together. When will the fairytale end? Surely we can't do the unthinkable and win the PL with Fonte!?

Jose Fonte is my favourite current player.

A cornerstone in our rise from league 1, it's no coincidence that three already excellent centre backs (Lovren, Alderweireld and Van Dijk) have looked even better alongside him. It's also certainly no coincidence that Portugal became rock-solid with him at the back, doing the dirty work while Pepe takes the plaudits. He is the relentless, ever present machine that keeps our, and your foundations strong.

That he has won one of the biggest trophies in world football as a Saint is wonderful, it will always be something I treasure.

Cedric, it was good to see what he can do, but he was pushed out of the team by right by a back up utility player from the dutch league. Whether he wasn't gelling with our ex manager or just distracted by the upcoming tournament, not sure. He has a lot to prove this season though.

Great post, exactly my sentiments about José!

I'm Portuguese, I'm not a Southampton fan but I wanted to get Saints fans opinions on these two players based on the Euro and if that's made you like them even more

I'm pleased for Fonte that he's been personally successful with Portugal despite choosing to stay with Saints when so many others have left and not done anything as good - but he's already the longest serving player, captain and has proven himself over and over again for Saints with lots of different centre back partners.

I'm pleased that Cedric has added to his probable transfer value whenever we sell him - he's done ok for us, but isn't always first choice and hasn't done as well as hoped in the first season. Overall it's just great that no other Premier League players have won Euro 2016 and Saints have two of them. :)

Fontes biggest asset in my opinion is he brings out the best in his CB partner. Very much like Claus Lundekvam used too.Not always my favourite if I'm honest he gets away with quite a lot of fouls.but we're better with him in the side.

In Saints rise from League One to the Premier League he has been our best player.

To illustrate his determined character, our second season in the PL there were some defensive lapses, mostly by Fonte. He didn't shy aware from responsibility but worked hard to improve his game and the lapses soon disappeared and he brings out the best in his CB partner.

A worthy captain and role model at the club.

Jorge, bom dia

I live in Portugal. At our local bar, we have two signed flags, one by the Saints team 2015/2016 with the Portugal flag by its side signed by Jose Fonte and Cedric. What a night 10/7/2016.

To be fair, if you asked any Portuguese person prior the euros who Fonte was, they were unsure. Now, he has proved himself. He was overlooked in favour of Ricardo Carvalho who was completely hopeless and ineffective. Fonte has been the best kept secret for years, he is an organiser and a born leader. He is a credit to our club.

Cedric is a young player, if he stays with us he will improve. If he leaves for a so called bigger club, he will probably go the way of many others.....downwards.

Absolute legend and I cannot believe it took them so long to give him a game ahead of Carvalho and Alves.

Had quite a few Portuguese people I know slating José during the warm up games. Eating their words now. What a player and what a guy.

Right up there as one of our best signings ever, cost £1M - a ridiculous amount by today's standards, dropped a league to come to us and has risen 2 divisions whilst fighting off challenges for his place from a list of talented CHs at the club. It's no coincidence that his partners look very good when they play alongside him as Jose is a class act.

Now he's gone and won the Euros, not as a peripheral player but as an integral part of the team, a bit of a legend really.

I wonder what he'd be worth if he was 25 now? 20-30M?

Between Jose Fonte and Cedric Soares, they have both put Southampton on the map. Really and truly not too many people had heard of Fonte over here in Portugal. Cedric, has been in and out of the team, Jose no. It's all change now though. Most definitely they have heard of these two guys.

I think people forget that he scored the goal against Brighton that basically got us automatic promotion out of League 1, we certainly wouldn't have done that without him... The more and more you think about it it is a disgrace that he isn't on the banner!!!