What are you having for christmas dinner?

dune

They eat Mirror carp!

I've never tried it, but caught a chub when I was a nipper and cooked that. Tasted muddy which is how i'd expect carp tastes.

Apparently so.

Although being down here the chances of finding Fresh Water fish.... It is a desert & all that.

(No not the fish for pudding desert, not dessert.)

Anyway some of the menu is

Pierogi, Bean Soup (yuk), Polish Borsch, Mushroom Soup, Fried Fish (Alaskan Pollock - special offer at Carrefour this week! and no I have No idea how we can have French Alaskan Pollock down here cheaper than the local fresh stuff), Sauerkraut with beans, More fish, Bigoss, Golomki, Cheesecake. amongst others.

Hmmmm, yum yum, of course I love it darling.......

Luckily by the time the 4th or 5th Vodka shot goes down it ain't so bad

The big treat here is the entree of huge cooked prawns, 4 to 6 inches long and still swimming in the ocean on Christmas Eve. The drawback ? Twenty quid a kilo bought at 6am on Christmas Day from the Sydney Fish Markets. Followed by the usual Turkey,Leg Ham off the bone, roast veggies or salad (depending on the weather), Christmas pudding and custard plus a Christmas Trifle with lots of sherry ! Finish that lot off with mince pies and a cheese and fresh fruit platter........then a nice long sleep !! Merry Xmas !

christmas at the danish mother in laws (not in Denmark) - Roast duck, red cabbage, caramel potatoes followed by very, very thick rice pudding with hot cherry sauce.

Followed by turkey at mine the following day.

Then collapse in a bloated mass on the sofa and hope I can move enough in the morning to drive down to St Mary's.

After the footie off to a mates for more delicious food and lots of drink to celebrate 3 points for Saints and Brentford (mates team)

I'll be round my parents' in Christmas Day, so I'll be feasting on the usual Turkey with all the trimmings. My mum also buys a Ham and a joint of pork (my favourite meat by a million miles) to eat over the Christmas period, and has done the same this year, despite the fact Christmas Day is the only day I'm there for. (Mind you, I'll be stopping in a lot for free food, they only live ten minutes away!)

For the last 12 years though, my mates and I have had a tradition to go out on Christmas Eve and get thoroughly shytefaced, so I barely remember Christmas Days anyway.

Wild Boar delivered direct from this chap: http://www.thewildboarman.co.uk/

No filling the pockets of supermarket boardroom fat cats here.

gingertom.jpg

Wild Boar are dangerous, but Tom has established a trusting bond with his animals.

pregnanttom.jpg

A pregnant sow, due to give birth in December.

tomskids.jpg

Young Wild Boar are stripey and have a ginger colouring.

Bad Tom.

It was £50 for a 'mini hamper' (Smallish Roasting joint, sausages, minced boar meat and loin chops). Not cheap but should be worth it for the taste.

When we go back up to Harrogate we get a similar deal from a farmers butchers about 2 miles outside. Meat so fresh it's sometimes being delivered if you get there in the morning.

£50 gets you 3 chickens, shoulder of lamb, sausages, lamb chops, pork belly, but can mix and match to get all sorts. Excellent value for money and the meat is different class to anything you get in supermarkets.

When we go back up to Harrogate we get a similar deal from a farmers butchers about 2 miles outside. Meat so fresh it's sometimes being delivered if you get there in the morning.

£50 gets you 3 chickens, shoulder of lamb, sausages, lamb chops, pork belly, but can mix and match to get all sorts. Excellent value for money and the meat is different class to anything you get in supermarkets.

We never buy meat from a supermarket, our 2 local butchers are both awarding winning and the service is above and beyond.

The venison, direct from Cannock Chase, is top notch.

We never buy meat from a supermarket, our 2 local butchers are both awarding winning and the service is above and beyond.

The venison, direct from Cannock Chase, is top notch.

There is a butchers in Lyndhurst that do good venison. Venison steak is very nice.

Check out 'seriouslygoodvenison.co.uk' - just up the road from me- having the filet with a port and juniper berry sauce, spiced red cabbage puree, fondant pots, glazed root veg... perfect. Local crab and lobster salad to start.... mmm.mm and way too much fine wine - good thing about this is you get 90% of if it done before and it only takes 30 mins in the kitchen on Christmas day... glad to see pfc123 is on the beans - at least one skate knows when to economize - Happy Chrimbo to ya all - and that includes the Skates, Dune, Turkey and that sad tory **** GM! :-)

Peace and love man

Check out 'seriouslygoodvenison.co.uk' - just up the road from me- having the filet with a port and juniper berry sauce, spiced red cabbage puree, fondant pots, glazed root veg... perfect. Local crab and lobster salad to start.... mmm.mm and way too much fine wine - good thing about this is you get 90% of if it done before and it only takes 30 mins in the kitchen on Christmas day... glad to see pfc123 is on the beans - at least one skate knows when to economize - Happy Chrimbo to ya all - and that includes the Skates, Dune, Turkey and that sad tory **** GM! :-)

Peace and love man

Who is this Turkey you speak of?