New Manager Gossip & Rumours

saint lard

We need an impact manager to connect with the team immediately and attract a couple of decent loans. The squad quality is largely good enough to deliver promotion.

The impact manager thing is a double edged sword, if Billy big boots came in and basically said you are lot are bunch of L1 nothings and I’m going to sort you out I don’t think we would get the impact we desire. Alternatively a highly respected (in football circles if not fans minds) achieving young(ish) manager who can connect immediately with L1 players might have the impact we desire. While football management appointments are always a risk, I believe the least risk is Adkins.

In fact I truly hacked-off seeing this myth bandied about on here. Fact of the matter is, a particular type of manager and managerial approach will suit a particular squad make-up. Saints squad is effectively nearly all Pardews boys selected to do a job for his approach, .

So the only manager that could work with Pardews squad is Pardew himself??!

Where is there any evidence that NC had interfered with management of the first team?

Because he txt Pardew after the bristol rovers game asking why pardew didnt play Guly for longer!! and i am ITK, know someone who was on the coach that day

except that I'd say that one or two players have gone slightly backwards since they've been here,not all but some.

But then as you know I put that squarely down to to the coaching staff not been up to the technical level already existent in those players.

Puncheon & Hammond I would agree with. But on the other hand there are more players who have come on leaps and bounds... Barnard, Lallana, Lambert the most significant.

Because he txt Pardew after the bristol rovers game asking why pardew didnt play Guly for longer!! and i am ITK, know someone who was on the coach that day

A text after the match does not constitute interference. It is a normal question - one that many fans also wanted to ask. HTH

the fans patience will be thin if we get a manager who doesn't make us sit up. A 'name' will get more time than an Adkins of the world.

IMO there is a good chance that we wont go up this season, as the fans will be very edgy unless we start to look like a proper team. That will in turn cause its own pressures.

If this goes wrong and the fans turn, NC will walk and the family may lose interest.NC may have faced pressure in business but it is nothing like the stuff football fans can administor.

The saga is starting up again.

Of course if we get an appointment that can satisfy the majority things could be more positive, but i suggest Adkins will not be that person.

I will support who comes in but I dont see the players or fans getting anything from an appointment like him/Brown?Hart etc

the fans patience will be thin if we get a manager who doesn't make us sit up. A 'name' will get more time than an Adkins of the world.

IMO there is a good chance that we wont go up this season, as the fans will be very edgy unless we start to look like a proper team. That will in turn cause its own pressures.

If this goes wrong and the fans turn, NC will walk and the family may lose interest.NC may have faced pressure in business but it is nothing like the stuff football fans can administor.

Of course if we get an appointment that can satisfy the majority things could be more positive, but i suggest Adkins will not be that person.

I will support who comes in but I dont see the players or fans getting anything from an appointment like him/Brown?Hart etc

But we as fans must get real here too !

We are a 3rd tier club - A big club granted but nonetheless currently knocking around the lower leagues!

It would be an absolute coup of unprecedented magnitude for somebody of M O'N's standing to drop down 2 levels of capability to manage us!

It is far more likely that we must accept a candidate befitting our current level and status, but perhaps with the capability to drive us towards the well published objective of Prem football.

Edited by Foxstone

[/b]

But we as fans must get real here too !

We are a 3rd tier club - A big club granted but nonetheless currently knocking around the lower leagues!

It would be an absolute coup of unprecedented magnitude for somebody of M O'N's standing to drop down 2 levels of capability to manage us!

But Brown was a Premier League manager who is out of work as well. I would not expect him to take a job with us either, but he really wants it, so why not MoN?

This bit is critical IMHO. As I think FF said at the time, when you get taken over by a billionaire and become a rich mans toy, you become beholden to them. We need the Liebherr's continued involvement and investment. I happen to think NC is crucial to retaining that. Whether we like it or not, I feel we have to keep NC.

What is annoying for me is that we still do not know whether Cortese "removed" Pardew on the spur of the moment, or because a "situation" was forced on him.

If it were the latter, then most prople would be more sympathetic to Cortese's predicament, that he had to suddenlt start looking for a new Manager from "scratch"

If it were the former, then it would be seen as shooting himself in the foot, by not lining someone up in advance

Finally, IF he had his sights on the likes of Martin O'Neil, then, IMHO, that shows his lack of understanding of Football in the UK

Quality, successful Prem Managers would NOT step down to Division One. Only Failed Prem Managers would grab at it as a means of kickstarting their careers

In our current position, ie Division THREE, I think getting Adkins from the CCC, would be the best we (and Cortese) could hope for, UNLESS of course Cortese ties his hands behind his back by making him answerable (Footballwise) to too many "knowalls" (Cortese included

Never under estimate the role of Psychology in football.

The fans at SMS are "edgy"

The players feel under pressure at SMS

This is a REALLY big issue for us this season, we have already dropped stupid points at home and if we are going to get promoted then SMS MUST become a fortress.

To do THAT, the fans have to ease up on the players OR something else has to happen.

That "something else" must stop the fans being edgy - hence why we express the feelings that we need a WOW factor (and mitigate that with the usual Saints fans "expect to be disappointed so it will be Adkins, or whoever)

The Saints job needs a damn good manager BUT it needs that edgy feeling to be taken away IF we are really going to move up the League QUICKLY, the players mustn't feel under pressure at home, they must PERFORM....

So while a good guy like "an Adkins" will get us there eventually, I worry about the whelmed status levels we feel.

I think there is as big a danger signing a "Young 'un" as there is in signing an old wise head.

Never under estimate the role of Psychology in football.

The fans at SMS are "edgy"

The players feel under pressure at SMS

This is a REALLY big issue for us this season, we have already dropped stupid points at home and if we are going to get promoted then SMS MUST become a fortress.

To do THAT, the fans have to ease up on the players OR something else has to happen.

That "something else" must stop the fans being edgy - hence why we express the feelings that we need a WOW factor (and mitigate that with the usual Saints fans "expect to be disappointed so it will be Adkins, or whoever)

The Saints job needs a damn good manager BUT it needs that edgy feeling to be taken away IF we are really going to move up the League QUICKLY, the players mustn't feel under pressure at home, they must PERFORM....

So while a good guy like "an Adkins" will get us there eventually, I worry about the whelmed status levels we feel.

I think there is as big a danger signing a "Young 'un" as there is in signing an old wise head.

I have pointed to the fans expectations being a pressure for months now. Last season it was enjoyable as the fans were all behind the team on matchdays. This season there has been a seed change after AP said there were going to be no excuses and we were going for the title. A foolish raising of our hopes and adding extra burden on the team.

Saturday night felt like the bad old days, a feeling I thougth had gone for a few years.

I think whoever we get in, we can write this season off due to all that has already gone on. The new manager will be judged on next season and Cortese will have to just take this poor season on the chin. Next season will be a whirlwind one though with all guns blazing...

Did we say that least season?

We can argue and discuss the merits/ demerits of experienced / up and coming managers and whether we should appoint MON, Adkins, Howe or Brown. The fact is that ANY manager is a gamble of one sort or another for different reasons. Some people who were successful one place are unsuccessful on promotion - others succeed. Whoever is appointed, we need to get behind them big time to get ourselves out of the hole we are in. We need the new manager, the team and the fans all pulling together. If we don't then it doesn't matter a damn who we appoint.

Did we say that least season?

This season is far more mental than the last already :scared:

We should have given Pardew this season though, he deserved it after what he made out of the troubles of last season.

Cant see Cortese denying the new manager a full season next season though........ actually, who knows what goes on in his impatient head. I'd like to think he's learning from his mistakes though.....

And that is your evidence? This fatuous phrase is used to justify passing any rumour - even ones made up just to see how far it goes.

Perhaps if NC connected with the fanbase a little better there would be no need for rumour or speculation.

We have to judge him on what he does rather than what he says atm until he decides or not to communicate a little better.

As far as the sacking of Pardew is concerned, he could clear this up in one sentence if he so wished as I am sure he is clever enough to do it without causing too much fallout. If he did this then at least he would gain more respect from some of us.

Perhaps if NC connected with the fanbase a little better there would be no need for rumour or speculation.

We have to judge him on what he does rather than what he says atm until he decides or not to communicate a little better.

As far as the sacking of Pardew is concerned, he could clear this up in one sentence if he so wished as I am sure he is clever enough to do it without causing too much fallout. If he did this then at least he would gain more respect from some of us.

You cant go discussing employment issues in public! Cortese cant say anything meaningful about why Pardew was sacked so he might as well say nothing.

Where is the evidence that Cortese makes the right decisions? If Cortese had replaced Pardew at the end of last season he could have appointed some young manager and given them a lot of time to get the team onside and playing well. The irony is that the longer Cortese leaves things the more power he will may have to cede to the new Team manager to attract a big name.

However Cortese is unwilling to cede power to the team manager having decided that Les Reed was more important to the Club's success than Alan Pardew. Duh.

Today we have a different situation where the new Manager will have to start making an impact within a few games to avoid the pressure piling up. A name that attracts back large crowds could of course create their own impetus but a has been or a no name, will not have that luxury. Which is why I am expecting Cortese to do the wrong thing because with Les Reed they have killed off the chances of a big name. I am expecting some gullible no name or a desperate has been and that we will be in a full crisis by November.

You cant go discussing employment issues in public! Cortese cant say anything meaningful about why Pardew was sacked so he might as well say nothing.

Cortese authorised the statement that it was all about co-operation between the first team and Les Reed's empire. That was a very clear and meaningful statement of the cause.

http://www.skybet.com/betting/football/manager-specials/t10002896.html

Say what you want about odds, but it doesn't go to 1/7 for no reason. I'd say it's 99.9% certain Adkins has the job.

You get there because he was a short price anyway and now people have seen it reported by sky so are lumping more money on. Strachan went to 1/5 last year!!!

According to an ex player I spoke to there will be a press release explaining why pardew and his coaching staff were sacked, but not until the new manager is appointed. The details of the apparent press release seem a bit extreme and like bull**** to me - be good if things were cleared up though.

According to an ex player I spoke to there will be a press release explaining why pardew and his coaching staff were sacked, but not until the new manager is appointed. The details of the apparent press release seem a bit extreme and like bull**** to me - be good if things were cleared up though.

This wont happen. It would be unprofessional and possibly warrant legal action if it tarnishes Pardews reputation.

http://www.skybet.com/betting/football/manager-specials/t10002896.html

Say what you want about odds, but it doesn't go to 1/7 for no reason. I'd say it's 99.9% certain Adkins has the job.

Yes but this could have happened due to the news that he is being interviewed. It was on Sky Sports News this morning and on the radio I believe. Is strange that none of the other managers have come out in the press that they are being interviewed.

Still not nailed on, but someone knows something as he has been favourite for a few days now!

Just a thought, could it be Nigel Pearson?

Fits in with some of the rumours - young up and coming English manager, proven at this level, a familiar face, would be a possible WOW factor with a lot of the fans (judging by what was said when he left). Just can't fit in the MON bit, and then can't win them all.

Hasn't made a great start at Hull. Not ITK, just a thought?