Nigel's latest sayings

Crab Lungs

I really don't think he's the full ticket, y'know :o

"Taking care of business" and often referring to Sun Tzu's "Art of War" seem to be taking quite a lot of prominence in his interviews these days! Is he deliberately giving nothing away, or does he genuinely bluster and doesn't realise he's doing it? Pur-lease, don't get me wrong, I don't mind as he's doing a pretty good job but I just wondered what people thought...

... I mean... is he really one of those irritating, nauseatingly positive people? ;)

haha it can be annoying..

personally, he is of a breed that put their "interview" head on and just reels off the lines of sayings he has....that way he cant get into trouble, cant be contradicted, cant give anything away...

most managers do this..just in different ways...only the likes of fergie/wenger and co dont..but they have can do what they like I guess

Listen, Nigel has done a magnificent job since he has been in the building, at this magnificent football club, it's as simple as that. I'm not going to hide away from it, we as saints fans all have a smile on face, and are all pulling in the same direction. At the end of the day we all have the same common goal! We are winning games of football, with our group of honest hardworking players.

Together as one!

Ps. He is doing a great job, and comes across as a great bloke.

Edit- Sorry, could have left some for other people ;D

Listen, Nigel has done a magnificent job since he has been in the building, at this magnificent football club, it's as simple as that. I'm not going to hide away from it, we as saints fans all have a smile on face, and are all pulling in the same direction. At the end of the day we all have the same common goal! We are winning games of football, with our group of honest hardworking players.

Together as one!

Ps. He is doing a great job, and comes across as a great bloke.

Lol, forgot that one! You've also got to believe to achieve, right?

It does my head in as it sounds like its an act. I wonder if he speaks the same to the team or his wife? Its the same as the whole 3rd person thing when speaking about himself back in the interviews before he joined us.

That said, I know his interviews are going to be the same and the same lines are going to come out. So I tend not to bother reading his statements on the OS or listen in when he is on the radio or TV. All I really care about is the team doing well and us getting 3 points. If this is how he achieves that then I wont be moaning or having a pop.

If the results were going the other way more often than not I doubt his talking style would keep many friends with the fans though.

To be fair to NA, his half-time teamtalks always seem to make a difference, as the team comes out alot brighter and sharper. With Pardew, once we were stuck in a groove -for better or worse, it was always difficult to shift gear.

Yes he can come across as a bit evangelistic - temperamentally not my cup of tea- but if it works, fantastic.

What he has shown that his effusive, self-effacing style can work with big-time charlies (whatever that means in L1). Lots of his early critics said that while this might have worked for plucky underdogs like Scunny, it was totally inappropriate for Southampton where people were predicting that NA would be met with a dismissive smirk rather than a smile. Those critics have been proven wrong.

Edited by shurlock

haha it can be annoying..

personally, he is of a breed that put their "interview" head on and just reels off the lines of sayings he has....that way he cant get into trouble, cant be contradicted, cant give anything away...

most managers do this..just in different ways...only the likes of fergie/wenger and co dont..but they have can do what they like I guess

This.

It is obviously just a ploy.

He's a nice honest guy who seems to enjoy the job. Surprised he's still talking about coming 1st but nice to have ambition. Hope it continues when we go up and we aim for the top right away.

Would anyone prefer the megson style interviews? He just screams out loser. Or Darren fergurson who just seems to come across badly every single time.

Certainly wouldn't want a manager who whinges, blames other people and makes excuses, that's why I like Nigel's sickening positivity! However, I do enjoy his barking interviews.

Edited by Crab Lungs

Really like unassuming Nige and for once I really really want him to stay with us FOREVER. Future big name in the game imvho.

I kind of liked Pearson and still do but would like us to be properly associated with one manager again ala Lawrie Mac.

I have a strange feeling that this club is creating a quite amazing dynasty.

I think Adkins has been very clever in continually reinforcing key points. These messages will be totally clear to the players, ie. the importance of unity, hard work and all the squad being important.[not about 11 players]. The biggest thing I feel he has done is taken the pressure off the players, which I felt was there under Pardew and cost us points. By stressing we can only control the controllables and stressing one game at a time and drawing a blue line under the last game once it has been discussed I really believe the players have clearer heads going into each game. I think under Pardew players were prone to lose confidence after a poor result and I really do not think that is the case now. I think hes a character and we are lucky to have him. Long may he keep reeling out his phrases. I think sometimes they are very funny.

In nutty Nigel we trust

so what if he makes up new classic phrases & then uses his own classic catchphrase sayings every game he gets results

Seems a proper, good bloke

WGS used to upset the media every game

Alan Ball had a couple, give it to matty , I won the world cup

"Gordon, can we have a quick word?"

"Yeah, velocity..." walks off...

Quote from one of them "12,455 Southampton residents don't. That's how many empty seats at St Mary's yesterday!"

lol.

"once we are confirmed as champions"

"No one cares Adkins you muppet. The seagulls are owning this league and EVERYONE knows it"

Ha, and Bournemouth and BHA have the audacity to accuse us of arrogance. Everything those halfwits have said this season has been bordering on arrogant. One half decent season in god knows how many years and all of a sudden they're destined to be champions of the world.

Both clubs have significant chips on their shoulders.

Edited by Crab Lungs

"once we are confirmed as champions"

Ha, and Bournemouth and BHA have the audacity to accuse us of arrogance. Everything those halfwits have said this season has been bordering on arrogant. One half decent season in god knows how many years and all of a sudden they're destined to be champions of the world.

Both clubs have significant chips on their shoulders.

Brighton really are comedy value. Theres a new thread on Saints every time I pop on there.. according to them were a 'tinpot club'

Facepalm.

Those bum bandits down the road are hilarious! They're totally obsessed with us! If Adkins was manager of any other club they'd have no issues. I think it has something to do with the fact he's doing a very good job here and they obviously dont like the fact he believes they are catchable (which mathematically they still are).

I'd rather have Adkins thatn Mr Gus "if you dont want to play for my team then you can feck off, oh wait dont go, we're bestest buddies really are'nt we! Poyet" - T@SSER!

I really don't think he's the full ticket, y'know :o

"Taking care of business" and often referring to Sun Tzu's "Art of War" seem to be taking quite a lot of prominence in his interviews these days! Is he deliberately giving nothing away, or does he genuinely bluster and doesn't realise he's doing it? Pur-lease, don't get me wrong, I don't mind as he's doing a pretty good job but I just wondered what people thought...

... I mean... is he really one of those irritating, nauseatingly positive people? ;)

Crab Lungs..? I read you often. I even find myself agreeing with you on some occasions...but why do you need to start a thread

bringing into question the ..sanity, competence or dedication... of one of the most successful managers we've had in the sorry bunch since the start of this millenium?.

I'm old enough to recall the rhetoric of that upstart ..Lawrie Mc Menemy... who came down to the south coast with his Geordie

" attitude" in the early 1970's and woke everyone up and raised a lot of eyebrows. Now I know that Nigel Adkins is not the same

type of person but his direct style of interview technique does put journos in their place and disarm them from "stupid questions ".

NA is smart enough to know that you are only as good as your last game, and will get roasted if that winning run does not continue. In truth until we get automatic promotion at the end of this season ...he won't be able to relax and he knows that. I really don't think it's good to create doubts about his ability... until / if ..he eventually fails, which I hope he does not.