Les Reed - the cushiest job in the world?

Turkish

An undoutedly very well paid director of a premier league football club, 50 direct reports, in charge of player recruitment, behind the whole failing 'Southampton way' and most people seem has at least had some input into our new formaiton which we seem to have chosen in no small part simply because it's what Barcelona do. It seems to me that he's got a great job, involved in all the major decisions and seems happy to take the glory, yet is avoiding any of the flack when, like now, things are going badly.

It's my view that this man is equally, if not moreso responsible for the problems at this club as Adkins. Yet no one seems to be question his role, what he does or discussing where he has failed.

I was surprised to read he has 50 staff supporting him. He obviously has a huge influence on the whole club which on one hand (the Academy) is going very well, yet on the other (the first team) is going very badly.

He has nothing in his managerial record to suggest any input on how the first team play would be beneficial.

Reed said himself he is head of recruitment and I think most people agree that he has some involvement in the way we play, as he's also in charge of the academy and all teams at SFC play the same way. Yet no one seems to be asking questions about him when he's clearly failing so badly and letting other people take the flack.

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook

If Adkins does leave #saintsfc dont be surprised to see Les Reed replace him

I for one wouldnt be surprised to see this happen. Reed is Cortesi's trusted lieutenant for sure.

This would be an absolute disaster.

Reed said himself he is head of recruitment and I think most people agree that he has some involvement in the way we play, as he's also in charge of the academy and all teams at SFC play the same way. Yet no one seems to be asking questions about him when he's clearly failing so badly and letting other people take the flack.

its difficult when adkins comes out many times saying that he is solely responsible for the team and everything that goes with it...he could quite easily say nothing of the sort..and give one of his vague answers..but no, he really makes the pioint that it is on him........

So if you blame him for this season, why don't you also credit him for his part in getting the club successive promotions?

I have said it before and will say it again, modern football these days has this sort of arrangement. It is designed to protect the club against numpties such as Kean at BRFC.

I think it was a case that Cortese, Reed, Adkins and probably someone else sat around, looked at targets and ways to progress the club etc and agreed to it.

To say any one had overall responsibility is madness.

I can blame Reed for poor target aquisitions, and not finding more players, and possibly blame him for a 'rigid' 433 formation in the first team. But what if it isnt that rigid ? Perhaps Adkins feels he could make it work ?

Perhaps Adkins thought we looked solid enough last year and thought we would be ok with our defence with Maya ?

Problem is we dont know everything. I can agree the management team is to blame, and so Reed and Adkins need to go ?

But to try to blame others for Adkins being out of his depth is rediculous.

Les Reed was the main reason for the falling out with Pardew . Don't underestimate his influence at the club.

Quite. He turns up in April, suddenly rumours start to appear about all not being well with Pardew and Cortese. Coincidence? I'm sure we'll be told we've got anti saints agendas.

I'm sure we'll be told we've got anti saints agendas.

Well it is you that...

- says Reed is to blame when things aren't going well

- overlook his input in the successive promotions

If you really believe he is influencing us doing badly atm, why don't you think the reverse was true in the last two years of promotions?

You were being a total WUM this morning, but I do agree with you on this. It seems LR has a lot to say about what goes on at SFC, which would be expected given how NC would have worked in his banking days, and from articles I've read he definitely thinks he can bring the success he helped bring to the England set-up to Saints although from the sound of it he can just repeat theory and knows and can do jack-sht himself.

Quite. He turns up in April, suddenly rumours start to appear about all not being well with Pardew and Cortese. Coincidence? I'm sure we'll be told we've got anti saints agendas.

Changing your tune - you've always pinned it on Cortese. Cortese not happy that Guly didnt start at Bristol Rovers blah blah blah. Reed had to talk NC out of sacking NA blah blah blah. The list goes on and on.

Not a chance Reed will take the job if Adkins goes. If it's that cushty he won't want to jepobdise it by putting himself in the position that is the least stable in the any football club. It's because the managers position is so unstable in any club that we have someone like Reed being involved in big decisions at the club by the way. So that a manager change wont change things massively with **** loads of new demands etc. Any manager coming in will know the situation just as Adkins did when he signed his new contract.

Haha if reed gets made manager I wonder how many people calling for Adkins head will be happy? Failure of a manager with Charlton you can't take this bloke seriously as a member of the first team staff. Leave him to get on with his academy work as he seems o know his business there.

So if you blame him for this season, why don't you also credit him for his part in getting the club successive promotions?

He joined us in April 2010, by then the core of the side that won promotion from L1 was already in place. Lambert & Fonte were here before he got made 'head of recruitment' So no, I give him no credit for L1 promotion.

The championship, the momentum carried through from the championship, we over performed as a squad but he did make some key signings in Cork and Sharp, so for that I give him credit in his 'head of recruitment' role. I do feel that Adkins had more control of first team last season.

What is quite clear is the Adkins is a different man this season. Last season he tinkered and altered tactics match to match. Now he is continually aging square pegs in round holes, persisting with a formation that isn't working and we don't have the players to play properly. Add to this our joke of a transfer window where Adkins is on record as saying he wanted goalkeepers and centre halves to strengthen the first team and he got a centre back the day before the window shut then Reed, as 'head of recruitment' has failed to give the manager the tools to do the job.

Well it is you that...

- says Reed is to blame when things aren't going well

- overlook his input in the successive promotions

If you really believe he is influencing us doing badly atm, why don't you think the reverse was true in the last two years of promotions?

Can you give me a chance to answer you prat.I've answered your points on 31.

Edited by Turkish

An undoutedly very well paid director of a premier league football club, 50 direct reports, in charge of player recruitment, behind the whole failing 'Southampton way' and most people seem has at least had some input into our new formaiton which we seem to have chosen in no small part simply because it's what Barcelona do. It seems to me that he's got a great job, involved in all the major decisions and seems happy to take the glory, yet is avoiding any of the flack when, like now, things are going badly.

It's my view that this man is equally, if not moreso responsible for the problems at this club as Adkins. Yet no one seems to be question his role, what he does or discussing where he has failed.

I'm assuming Les Reed decided to play 4-4-2 against Spurs, yes? Just asking because you were fairly vocal about the whole 4-3-3 thing after West Ham.

turkish...desperate to blame reed at all costs.....;)

Not at all Jamie. I said on another thread all three are to blame. Everyone keeps on about firing Adkins, maybe it's not all his fault though and other people in the background need to take some of the flack.

Changing your tune - you've always pinned it on Cortese. Cortese not happy that Guly didnt start at Bristol Rovers blah blah blah. Reed had to talk NC out of sacking NA blah blah blah. The list goes on and on.

I'll give Reed credit for that, he did talk Cortese out of sacking Adkins in the summer. I think most agree he has a significant input into the first team, especially where transfers are concearned, so his role needs to be questioned.

Reed said himself he is head of recruitment .

He joined us in April 2010, by then the core of the side that won promotion from L1 was already in place. Lambert & Fonte were here before he got made 'head of recruitment' So no, I give him no credit for L1 promotion.

The championship, the momentum carried through from the championship, we over performed as a squad but he did make some key signings in Cork and Sharp, so for that I give him credit in his 'head of recruitment' role. I do feel that Adkins had more control of first team last season.

What is quite clear is the Adkins is a different man this season. Last season he tinkered and altered tactics match to match. Now he is continually aging square pegs in round holes, persisting with a formation that isn't working and we don't have the players to play properly. Add to this our joke of a transfer window where Adkins is on record as saying he wanted goalkeepers and centre halves to strengthen the first team and he got a centre back the day before the window shut then Reed, as 'head of recruitment' has failed to give the manager the tools to do the job.

Please show show me where Reed said this?

Paul Mitchell was appointed by Saints for that role. He is even listed as "scouting and recruitment manager" on the club's website.

In any case it wouldn't just be Mitchell, purchases would likely be a combination of Adkins, Mitchell, Reed, Cortese and other members of coaching and scouting staff. Cortese ultimately has the final say, which is only right as he is the man in charge of the money.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Please show show me where Reed said this?

Paul Mitchell was appointed by Saints for that role. He is even listed as "scouting and recruitment manager" on the club's website.

In any case it wouldn't just be Mitchell, it would likely be a combination of Adkins, Mitchell, Reed, Cortese and other members of coaching and scouting staff. Not solely down to one man.

http://www.2ndyellow.com/2012/five-minutes-of-your-time-please-les-reed/

Here you go. He says himself he is responsible for 5 departments one of which is scouting and recruitment.

He manages 50 staff which cover 5 pillars, they include recruitment and scouting. So all scouts report to him and he heads up the recruitment department. Adkins has 3 direct reports, all coaches.

Edited by Turkish

What is quite clear is the Adkins is a different man this season. Last season he tinkered and altered tactics match to match. Now he is continually aging square pegs in round holes, persisting with a formation that isn't working and we don't have the players to play properly.

Fulham home 4-4-2

Spurs home 4-4-2

Leeds United 4-5-1

Granted the other games we started 4-3-3 but we swapped to 4-4-2 in the second half vs Wigan. Didn't we change tactics/formation against Everton as well?

Not that I expect a response, you ignore these games every time they're put to you.

http://www.2ndyellow.com/2012/five-minutes-of-your-time-please-les-reed/

Here you go. He says himself he is responsible for 5 departments one of which is scouting and recruitment.

He doesn't in that article say...

Reed said himself he is head of recruitment .

That is Paul Mitchell, he is listed on Saints website as "scouting and recruitment manager" and was previously the head of recruitment at MK Dons.

Not if it was Reed that decided to spunk all our money on a crocked South American instead of some experienced defenders.

maybe Adkins is doing the best with what he has got to work with?

I think the truth would be somewhere in the middle.

Reed is an experienced football man, surely to christ one of NA or LR could see we needed defensive recruits, I reckon we hedged our bets on a couple that didnt happen.

Either way we are better than we are playing, a decent defensive coach would be able to make a better hash of it ?

Fulham home 4-4-2

Spurs home 4-4-2

Leeds United 4-5-1

Granted the other games we started 4-3-3 but we swapped to 4-4-2 in the second half vs Wigan. Didn't we change tactics/formation against Everton as well?

Not that I expect a response, you ignore these games every time they're put to you.

Everytime they're put to me? Two of the have been in the last 3 days, one of which was tonight. when have they been put to me?!

He doesn't in that article say...

That is Paul Mitchell, he is listed on Saints website as "scouting and recruitment manager" and was previously the head of recruitment at MK Dons.

Sorry, am I missing something?

'I am responsible for what we call the football and development centre, FDSC incorporates coaching, Sports medicine and science, scouting and recruitment, Kit and equipment and the academy'

He says he clearly says he is responsible for scouting and recruitment. No where does he mention Paul Mitchell, who will no doubt be on of the 50 staff that reports to him.

Turkish is spot on. This guy runs the football and recruitment side, which is in a mess. NA gets the tools that are largely determined by others, and presumably the head of recruitment has a large role in those recruitments.

The recruitment during the Reed era has largely been shambolic.

It staggers me that people call for NA head but can't look further up the food chain.

Not if it was Reed that decided to spunk all our money on a crocked South American instead of some experienced defenders.

Ramirez was injured by accident in training after he joined the club. To call it "spunking all our money on a crocked South American" is bizarre. Ramirez is comfortably our best player and will have a big impact on our season.

Ramirez was injured by accident in training after he joined the club. To call it "spunking all our money on a crocked South American" is bizarre. Ramirez is comfortably our best player and will have a big impact on our season.

Our budget was blown on a player we arguably didn't need to the detriment of players we did. Are you seriously saying we needed Gaston more than a top notch left back and centre back? No one attacking player can compensate for a poor defensive unit.

Edited by egg