Jack Stephens

Bad Wolf

I wouldn't be mad if we paid someone 10 million to take him really.

Actually getting 10 million FOR HIM would be a fantastic result.

Wouldn’t get too excited just yet. Wouldn’t surprise me if Stephens is the “Okereke” in the Villa chase for Mings & Webster deals.

The ball was crossed from the right but Stephens ran away from his man and up the pitch towards the edge of the penalty area, but you're right he's useless at marking. Goes off chasing rabbits.

He ran towards the ball, which was at the edge of the penalty area. Then they played it right and crossed it. If he hadn’t run TOWARDS the ball, he would have been in a better position.

Either way, we agree on the important bit!

Watching the man city series on amazon and reminded me of the last game where city beat us to get 100 points. Defended really well all game and then one simple lapse of concentration by Stephens let Jesus in to score. That sums him up for me, looks decent on the ball but switches off too easily or makes a silly mistake and gets punished. Hes championship quality and if we sold him to villa i wouldnt be surprised if he struggled to hold down a starting spot

Watching the man city series on amazon and reminded me of the last game where city beat us to get 100 points. Defended really well all game and then one simple lapse of concentration by Stephens let Jesus in to score. That sums him up for me, looks decent on the ball but switches off too easily or makes a silly mistake and gets punished. Hes championship quality and if we sold him to villa i wouldnt be surprised if he struggled to hold down a starting spot

I just can’t believe that link is true.

He ran towards the ball, which was at the edge of the penalty area. Then they played it right and crossed it. If he hadn’t run TOWARDS the ball, he would have been in a better position.

Either way, we agree on the important bit!

We agree! He should have stuck to the man he was marking.

I think if he ever plays for the club again it should be in the DM role not CB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People keep saying this, but I think he'd still be as error prone.

He'd still give the ball away, probably lose tackles, and not be quick enough to recover.

The curx is that he's not a very good player what so ever and is so out of his depth as a regular at this level.

People keep saying this, but I think he'd still be as error prone.

He'd still give the ball away, probably lose tackles, and not be quick enough to recover.

The curx is that he's not a very good player what so ever and is so out of his depth as a regular at this level.

Yep. And he gives away penalties too readily. His ego is bigger than his boots. Doesn’t stay calm and in control.

I hope no prospective buyers are reading this :(

Before writing him off completely, I'd like to see if he can step up with a pre-season under Ralph and his team. After all he's had a series of crap coaches in his most important breakthrough and impressionable years. Pellegrino in particular seemed to want players to be 'soft-touch' in training.

Before writing him off completely, I'd like to see if he can step up with a pre-season under Ralph and his team. After all he's had a series of crap coaches in his most important breakthrough and impressionable years. Pellegrino in particular seemed to want players to be 'soft-touch' in training.

Nah, he had plenty of time under Ralph already. I think most can agree he's simply not good enough and is on a laughably big wage which only makes it worse.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

3 (re-)appearances.  3 clean sheets.

Honourable mention to the Cornish Baresi tonight.

Impeccable tonight, chuffed to bits for him. Huge credit for coming in after a period out of the team and looking match fit/sharpe from the first minute of the first game.

shoved a whole lot of “that” in many a pipe over the last few weeks. 

• Like 1

There’s been a lot of re-writing of history about Stephens this season. He was brilliant from the Aston Villa away game at the end of 2019 onwards, and a huge part of our upturn in form. He had a bad couple of games at the start of this season and people went back to slaughtering him. Pleased for him that he’s stepped into Vestergaard’s shoes brilliantly.

• Like 1

Never had an issue with him always thought he was capable - stepping into VVD's shoes and not cocking it right up was good enough for me - the lad is 26, for a central defender he is still a bit wet behind the ears, far too many on here thought VVD was flawless, he wasn't, he made plenty of expensive gaffs in our defence when he was with us - I thought he was excellent tonight once again, with the last ditch block. 

• Like 2

Very good performance but still one or two moments of madness in there, loose passes straight to the feet of oppo attackers one of which left them 2 on 2. Think he's sometimes guilty of being a little too comfortable with the playing it round the back, still needs to focus fully even on what should be a simple pass.

• Like 1