Rebellion protestors

OldNick

Yep, been following this on Twitter for a few weeks and I'm in full support of them.

The time for being nice, polite and playing by the rules has passed now. The social contract has been broken and this can't wait any more.

The Earth needs a massive paradigm shift, and attempts to get the world's attention have so far failed, so things like this have become a necessity.

Yep, been following this on Twitter for a few weeks and I'm in full support of them.

The time for being nice, polite and playing by the rules has passed now. The social contract has been broken and this can't wait any more.

The Earth needs a massive paradigm shift, and attempts to get the world's attention have so far failed, so things like this have become a necessity.

Lol, so causing disruption to normal people going around trying to get things done is right?

No doubt the emissions that these protests have caused will have added to what they want to stop.

They like most of us are Nimbys,they want others to stop but not in their own lives

Lol, so causing disruption to normal people going around trying to get things done is right?

No doubt the emissions that these protests have caused will have added to what they want to stop.

They like most of us are Nimbys,they want others to stop but not in their own lives

Yeah because finding a bridge closed and then having to find an alternative route is just such a massive hardship, right? It's insignificant compared to the kind of disruption that we are going to see in coming years if we don't start acting now to protect the environment and move towards a more sustainable way of life.

How do you know what mode of transport every one of them used to get there? Have you asked them all?

Yeah because finding a bridge closed and then having to find an alternative route is just such a massive hardship, right? It's insignificant compared to the kind of disruption that we are going to see in coming years if we don't start acting now to protect the environment and move towards a more sustainable way of life.

How do you know what mode of transport every one of them used to get there? Have you asked them all?

Do tell us about all of the things you do to help their cause?

Edited by Batman

Do tell us about all of the things you do to help their cause?

What would be the point? There's no answer I could give you that would satisfy you anyway.

Lol, I was going to start my own thread about this the other day but I thought better of it because I already knew which way the discussion would go.

Saintsweb not letting me down I see.

Just stating a fact.

If you were really an eco warrior, you would have told us all about it

F**k me. You've posted some ignorant drivel in your time, and this is right up there with the worst of it.

You have absolutely no idea about my environmental 'credentials', and just because I choose not to discuss it in detail with you, apparently that gives you the moral high ground.

Amazing. Just amazing.

A few lower emission cars and blocking an extra runway is of little consequence until countries like India, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh and Indonesia get their population under control. When you think about the amount of crap an extra billion people on the Indian sub-continent are going to dump into the ocean (and the number of species they are going to kill off through pollution and over-fishing) it's quite saddening.

F**k me. You've posted some ignorant drivel in your time, and this is right up there with the worst of it.

You have absolutely no idea about my environmental 'credentials', and just because I choose not to discuss it in detail with you, apparently that gives you the moral high ground.

Amazing. Just amazing.

I have been all around the world.

What ever you do, or 100% of the U.K. does is absolutely insignificant.

I have been all around the world.

What ever you do, or 100% of the U.K. does is absolutely insignificant.

Yes, I agree. I've just completed an environmental studies degree with the OU, so I know only too well what the global drivers of environmental destruction are, and that one country or one group can't change anything.

Global problems require global solutions, and I've already seen messages of solidarity with this group from other parts of the world. What happened in London today was just the beginning.

https://earth-strike.com/

It’s a force for good, I fully support it. No surprise at the usual nob heads on here disagreeing though.

We should all do more to limit our effect on the environment but real change can only be made when governments do something significant. They all will eventually but hopefully protests like these catch on and help speed things along a bit.

It’s a force for good, I fully support it. No surprise at the usual nob heads on here disagreeing though.

We should all do more to limit our effect on the environment but real change can only be made when governments do something significant. They all will eventually but hopefully protests like these catch on and help speed things along a bit.

I would argue that it is people that should drive change, not government.

Nothing stopping you (or millions of others) voting for the Greens and making Caroline Lucas the PM.....along with living a completely eco-friendly life style.

I suspect you don't do either of those.

Best to do nothing then?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

never said that.

if it was THAT important, the Green Party would be surging in the polls. They are clearly the only party committed to real change.

What ever labour and the conservatives do is nothing more than win a few votes and PR. Lets not pretend for one minute that your car tax is paid to 'fight' your emission foot-print......just wrapped up as such.

at the end of the day, the vast majority of us just want someone else to do something about it. People make the difference.

I would argue that it is people that should drive change, not government.

Nothing stopping you (or millions of others) voting for the Greens and making Caroline Lucas the PM.....along with living a completely eco-friendly life style.

I suspect you don't do either of those.

I try to be as green as possible but could do more. You don’t have to live like Stig of the Dump to support these protests though.

People are effecting change, it just takes too long with our system of democracy which favours the big parties. People voting Green has caused the main parties to include more environmental policies in their manifestos but they just say enough to get elected but don’t take the tough measures needed. I think history will show that these protesters are in the right, just like people who mentioned global warming 30 or 40 years ago have been proven right.

I try to be as green as possible but could do more. You don’t have to live like Stig of the Dump to support these protests though.

People are effecting change, it just takes too long with our system of democracy which favours the big parties. People voting Green has caused the main parties to include more environmental policies in their manifestos but they just say enough to get elected but don’t take the tough measures needed. I think history will show that these protesters are in the right, just like people who mentioned global warming 30 or 40 years ago have been proven right.

The longest journey begins with a single step.

basically, you feel good because you support the idea. It gives you that fuzzy feeling inside.

At the same time, not really prepared to do that much about it...

basically, you feel good because you support the idea. It gives you that fuzzy feeling inside.

So easy to be a cynic who can have a consistent stance of not giving a sh1t

never said that.

if it was THAT important, the Green Party would be surging in the polls. They are clearly the only party committed to real change.

What ever labour and the conservatives do is nothing more than win a few votes and PR. Lets not pretend for one minute that your car tax is paid to 'fight' your emission foot-print......just wrapped up as such.

at the end of the day, the vast majority of us just want someone else to do something about it. People make the difference.

Hadn't you noticed, Jeremy Clarkson isn't as popular as he was 10 years ago? You're going to have to get some new opinions from someone else.

I think I do more than most, driving to London to protest wouldn’t really make sense though. I’m glad the protests took place and hope they catch on because our government is failing us. Our democracy is not great for making tough long term descisions.

So it seems that it is all talk and no action. Set examples by living without a ar or a foreign holiday. Walk to the local shop and buy your groceries and lug them back home in all weathers.

It looks great standing on a bridge waving a flag ****ing off people who are trying to get around, while you giggle with your mates.

You're hypocrites and if you read this you are using energy that has been created by the thing you are fghting against.

Oh and before you say about renewables, the energyand resources they use to be created are just as damaging.

Another question, explain this being down to mankind. Obviously something is going on with the climate but is it all due to us?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

Oh and before you say about renewables, the energyand resources they use to be created are just as damaging.

This is an extremely misleading claim.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140616093317.htm

US researchers have carried out an environmental lifecycle assessment of 2-megawatt wind turbines mooted for a large wind farm in the US Pacific Northwest. Writing in the International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, they conclude that in terms of cumulative energy payback, or the time to produce the amount of energy required of production and installation, a wind turbine with a working life of 20 years will offer a net benefit within five to eight months of being brought online.

Another question, explain this being down to mankind. Obviously something is going on with the climate but is it all due to us?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

Oh I do love this argument: "The climate has changed in the past due to reason 'A', therefore reason 'A' must be the only cause". It's a total fallacy.

Have you even looked at the graph in the wiki entry about the medieval warm period?

275px-2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png

US researchers have carried out an environmental lifecycle assessment of 2-megawatt wind turbines mooted for a large wind farm in the US Pacific Northwest. Writing in the International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, they conclude that in terms of cumulative energy payback, or the time to produce the amount of energy required of production and installation, a wind turbine with a working life of 20 years will offer a net benefit within five to eight months of being brought online.

Whereas gas, coal and oil powered turbines use massive amounts of energy in their construction and then continue to burn it inefficiently once ongrid. Even apart from the climate implications renewables makes economic sense for an energy importer like Britain because you cut imports and increase local employment. This is a relatively new field and some issues like transport fuel for aircraft and guaranteed continuity of supply remain to be resolved, but the argument about direction of travel is over.