Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 217

Thread: Extinction Rebellion

  1. #101

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    No I think sensible precautions are fine. These batsh*t people including the founder of extinction rebellion are going on about cannabalism in Britain, about literal human extinction in our lifetimes and many of them are basically anarcho-communists using this green agenda to push their regressive policies.

    If someone sensible come out and suggests reasonable policies like plastic bag reductions or reducing dumping in the oceans then I'm fully supportive. If a load of smelly hippies want to go and clog up London and have a rave whilst telling everyone we have to panic now (and visiting McDonald's for a Big Mac) then I'll treat them with the derision they deserve.

    Everyone doing a bit will undoubtedly make a small difference and I'm supportive of that but that isn't what these people are "demanding." Giant sweeping changes of the economy and the hobbling of us as a nation may rapidly reduce our climate footprint but all it will really do is send jobs and opportunities abroad and ruin us as a nation. Let's have sensible conversations about what, we can realistically achieve without the silliness.
    You're playing the man not the ball, I doubt many people agree with the political views of the protesters. But our governments have been painfully slow in responding the climate problem and sensible conversations have not worked. What these guys are doing is a pain in the arse for many in London but if it puts climate back on the agenda it has to be a good thing IMO.

  2. #102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    No I think sensible precautions are fine. These batsh*t people including the founder of extinction rebellion are going on about cannabalism in Britain, about literal human extinction in our lifetimes and many of them are basically anarcho-communists using this green agenda to push their regressive policies.

    If someone sensible come out and suggests reasonable policies like plastic bag reductions or reducing dumping in the oceans then I'm fully supportive. If a load of smelly hippies want to go and clog up London and have a rave whilst telling everyone we have to panic now (and visiting McDonald's for a Big Mac) then I'll treat them with the derision they deserve.

    Everyone doing a bit will undoubtedly make a small difference and I'm supportive of that but that isn't what these people are "demanding." Giant sweeping changes of the economy and the hobbling of us as a nation may rapidly reduce our climate footprint but all it will really do is send jobs and opportunities abroad and ruin us as a nation. Let's have sensible conversations about what, we can realistically achieve without the silliness.
    well others think you may be wrong, but I see it that way as well.

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    You're playing the man not the ball, I doubt many people agree with the political views of the protesters. But our governments have been painfully slow in responding the climate problem and sensible conversations have not worked. What these guys are doing is a pain in the arse for many in London but if it puts climate back on the agenda it has to be a good thing IMO.
    Let's suggest hypothetically that Britain becomes carbon neutral overnight. What would be the plan after that given that you have already acknowledged this would do very little to combat global carbon emissions? What these activists are demanding is totally unrealistic unless you want to completely crash the economy and essential regress to a pre-industrial age. Frankly their attitude puts people who want to engage in sensible measures off entirely. Surely as well as raising awareness they should be looking to persuade and bring the electorate with them?

  4. #104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    There's been Doom and gloom from some for decades. Humans are remarkably adaptable and have only really had what you would call a "comfortable" life for around 100 years. I'm sure my children will be absolutely fine and even if there is some adversity, it's likely that the humans of the future are still going to be 100 times better off than our ancestors. Making predictions too far in advance is a fools game anyway.
    Unfortunately I don't see it that way - I feel like we're lose to a tipping point in all areas of life at the moment, and as I'm sure most parents on here feel, the thought of your kids going through pain, anguish and destitution is pretty unbearable. Unfortunately the environment is only one of those pillars, but the one that will likely affect the most people.

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    Unfortunately I don't see it that way - I feel like we're lose to a tipping point in all areas of life at the moment, and as I'm sure most parents on here feel, the thought of your kids going through pain, anguish and destitution is pretty unbearable. Unfortunately the environment is only one of those pillars, but the one that will likely affect the most people.
    I'm sorry you feel that way it must be a very scary way to live. Genuinely I feel sorry for some of hese activists, I don't doubt that the terror they feel and instill in their children is very real. I can't say that's a feeling I've picked up among people I spend my time with but we probably mix in different circles. I don't relish the prospect of my children going through pain or anguish but a certain level is to be expected in life and some adversity can be a positive thing for building resilience- just look at some of the mentally and physically weak individuals the west has turned out in the last few decades.

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Let's suggest hypothetically that Britain becomes carbon neutral overnight. What would be the plan after that given that you have already acknowledged this would do very little to combat global carbon emissions? What these activists are demanding is totally unrealistic unless you want to completely crash the economy and essential regress to a pre-industrial age. Frankly their attitude puts people who want to engage in sensible measures off entirely. Surely as well as raising awareness they should be looking to persuade and bring the electorate with them?
    If you are put off taking measures to protect the future of the planet because of a few protesters in London then there really is no help.

    We all know it's going to take decades to become carbon neutral, if it is possible at all, and the protesters know that. All they are doing is trying to move things along a bit quicker because at the moment our governments accept the science but seem incapable of taking the tough action necessary.

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    If you are put off taking measures to protect the future of the planet because of a few protesters in London then there really is no help.

    We all know it's going to take decades to become carbon neutral, if it is possible at all, and the protesters know that. All they are doing is trying to move things along a bit quicker because at the moment our governments accept the science but seem incapable of taking the tough action necessary.
    Have you listened to their interviews? Because that isn't what they are saying at all.

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,145
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I'm sorry you are having difficulty understanding. Sensible and proportionate responses so that we are generally greener is a good thing. Mass panic, blocking half of London, hanging off every word an autistic teenager says and calling for meat and air etravel to be banned are things I'm not so enthusiastic about.
    But that’s not what you were claiming in your initial exchange with aintforever. You were taking him to task for the simple and correct observation that every little helps regardless what other people or countries do. Your position vis-a-vis the demands and tactics of Extinction Rebellion is a different point (one with which I have some sympathy).
    Last edited by shurlock; 09-10-2019 at 01:01 PM.

  9. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    If you are put off taking measures to protect the future of the planet because of a few protesters in London then there really is no help.

    We all know it's going to take decades to become carbon neutral, if it is possible at all, and the protesters know that. All they are doing is trying to move things along a bit quicker because at the moment our governments accept the science but seem incapable of taking the tough action necessary.
    Do you really thnk tha going carbon neutral is going to make a significant difference?

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Have you listened to their interviews? Because that isn't what they are saying at all.
    I don't care what they are saying, I just think anything that puts the problem on the agenda is a good thing.

    Governments are not disputing the science but they just play lip service instead of actually doing what is required, all they care about is appearing to be doing something to appease the electorate. Problem is it works, at election time they just need to be photographed planting a tree and riding their bike, mumble something about green technology and the issue just goes away. That is why we are where we are.

  11. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    If you are put off taking measures to protect the future of the planet because of a few protesters in London then there really is no help.

    We all know it's going to take decades to become carbon neutral, if it is possible at all, and the protesters know that. All they are doing is trying to move things along a bit quicker because at the moment our governments accept the science but seem incapable of taking the tough action necessary.
    Do you really think that going carbon neutral is going to make a significant difference?

    There's a lot more to it than that.

  12. #112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I'm sorry you feel that way it must be a very scary way to live. Genuinely I feel sorry for some of hese activists, I don't doubt that the terror they feel and instill in their children is very real. I can't say that's a feeling I've picked up among people I spend my time with but we probably mix in different circles. I don't relish the prospect of my children going through pain or anguish but a certain level is to be expected in life and some adversity can be a positive thing for building resilience- just look at some of the mentally and physically weak individuals the west has turned out in the last few decades.
    To be honest, I'm sure a lot of it is due to my sunny disposition and uplifting character (arf)!

  13. #113

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    I don't care what they are saying, I just think anything that puts the problem on the agenda is a good thing.

    Governments are not disputing the science but they just play lip service instead of actually doing what is required, all they care about is appearing to be doing something to appease the electorate. Problem is it works, at election time they just need to be photographed planting a tree and riding their bike, mumble something about green technology and the issue just goes away. That is why we are where we are.
    You said that all the protestors are doing is trying to move things on a bit quicker. They've stated quite explicitly that this is jot what they are doing and they do in fact have three "demands" which counter this too.

    The main problem is that "what is required" differs depending on who you talk to. Are we talking about gradual change which will have positive benefits and help us to become more environmentally friendly? Or are we talking about what extinction rebellion want which is something entirely different?
    Last edited by hypochondriac; 09-10-2019 at 01:19 PM.

  14. #114

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    18,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    But carbon zero in 11 years!!!
    True, that's unrealistic and probably unnecessary. But changing to renewables isnt as difficult or expensive as people think. New technologies are usually only more expensive than old initially until you achieve economies of scale. That's exactly what has happened to wind and solar but yet to happen for transport fuels.

  15. #115

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    But thatís not what you were claiming in your initial exchange with aintforever. You were taking him to task for the simple and correct observation that every little helps regardless what other people or countries do. Your position vis-a-vis the demands and tactics of Extinction Rebellion is a different point (one with which I have some sympathy).
    My point is that "striving to do our best for the planet" is entirely subjective and lives on a spectrum from sensible choices and legislation within our existing society to upending the oppressive capitalist system and living in a yurt and subsisting off the land alongside your fellow comrades. I see little purpose in changing my life in such drastic fashion when it will make very little meaningful difference to climate change other than making me feel a bit superior.

  16. #116

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,145
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    True, that's unrealistic and probably unnecessary. But changing to renewables isnt as difficult or expensive as people think. New technologies are usually only more expensive than old initially until you achieve economies of scale. That's exactly what has happened to wind and solar but yet to happen for transport fuels.
    This is interesting, especially in the context of Brexit.

    https://twitter.com/Gilesyb/status/1181574463197995010

  17. Default

    My Grandmother never went out of Dorset or Hampshire her entire life . Never flew, drove or owned a washing machine. Went through 2 world wars and spent her entire life ensuring my father didnít suffer the hardships she did. To complain that our childrenís future has been taken from them and is somehow bleak, is an insult to the millions like her that made this the luckiest generation to ever live.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #118

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,145
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    My Grandmother never went out of Dorset or Hampshire her entire life . Never flew, drove or owned a washing machine. Went through 2 world wars and spent her entire life ensuring my father didn’t suffer the hardships she did. To complain that our children’s future has been taken from them and is somehow bleak, is an insult to the millions like her that made this the luckiest generation to ever live.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe your generation pal.

  19. #119

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    My Grandmother never went out of Dorset or Hampshire her entire life . Never flew, drove or owned a washing machine. Went through 2 world wars and spent her entire life ensuring my father didnít suffer the hardships she did. To complain that our childrenís future has been taken from them and is somehow bleak, is an insult to the millions like her that made this the luckiest generation to ever live.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So your grandmother was a housewife that barely left the house? What exactly did she do to make your generation the luckiest to be alive? My mum was also a housewife and gave me a very nice childhood but it would be a bit of a stretch to credit her with doing much more than being a loving mum to her kids.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  20. #120

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    18,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    This is interesting, especially in the context of Brexit.

    https://twitter.com/Gilesyb/status/1181574463197995010


    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGXLuFNWkAAs6py.jpg

    Thanks. It echoes what I posted earlier. Transport emissions have continued to grow because shipping and aviation fuels are artificially cheap because they are tax free.

  21. #121

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    11,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    Unfortunately I don't see it that way - I feel like we're lose to a tipping point in all areas of life at the moment, and as I'm sure most parents on here feel, the thought of your kids going through pain, anguish and destitution is pretty unbearable. Unfortunately the environment is only one of those pillars, but the one that will likely affect the most people.
    Destitution? WTF?

    #head'sgone!

  22. #122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGXLuFNWkAAs6py.jpg

    Thanks. It echoes what I posted earlier. Transport emissions have continued to grow because shipping and aviation fuels are artificially cheap because they are tax free.
    No, because most homes have 2 cars or more, that the young generation think that if they have a birthday, squeeze a spot or have a stag do they must go to Magaluf/ Budapest / Barcelona perhaps both, hence travel fuel usage has grown. The tax was always low on airfuel

  23. #123

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A little island of red&white admidst a sea of blue
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    This is interesting, especially in the context of Brexit.

    https://twitter.com/Gilesyb/status/1181574463197995010
    In the context of Brexit, ending free movement of people, will certainly help in reducing carbon emissions from Transport. Importing less products and going home-grown or home-produced, will certainly help too.

    Could one argue, that remainers are in fact, contributing to the destruction of the planet?

  24. #124

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    You said that all the protestors are doing is trying to move things on a bit quicker. They've stated quite explicitly that this is jot what they are doing and they do in fact have three "demands" which counter this too.

    The main problem is that "what is required" differs depending on who you talk to. Are we talking about gradual change which will have positive benefits and help us to become more environmentally friendly? Or are we talking about what extinction rebellion want which is something entirely different?
    I don't think gradual change is any where near enough, that is what we have now (new runway anyone?) - and I think the science backs that up.

    Extinction rebellion's targets are fanciful/impossible but they are bound to be, just to get the point across to fellas like oldnick who still don't understand the science.

  25. #125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    I don't think gradual change is any where near enough, that is what we have now (new runway anyone?) - and I think the science backs that up.

    Extinction rebellion's targets are fanciful/impossible but they are bound to be, just to get the point across to fellas like oldnick who still don't understand the science.
    So your understanding of science is to read what they are saying and take it chapter and verse. There are 2 parts to the thinking. Remember the Professors from Southampton University about 10-15 years ago where they unveiled years of work showing the world they had found how to produce energy from nothing. It was world news lol. They missed a basic theory in their calculations.
    I was told by another scientist about 40+ years ago that it was impossible to find more elements, that has been proved bunkum, the expensive space project that sent a probe to (?) mars and it ran out of fuel as they had calculated in litres when another had calculated in gallons. Dont believe all you read, take into account self interest, the amount of jobs that climate change has provided in the media and elsewhere, and its big business worth billions of dollars. That even on Attenboroughs programme about the seas that 70% of carbon dioxide comes from the seabed, that we are living in the times of social media where hysterical reactions are whipped up, by 24 hour news programmes that need something for the masses to watch.
    Yes there is a change in the worlds weather, well so it seems but in 1963 (56 years ago and we have not had anything like it since) it snowed for months on end with no sign of it ending, can you imagine Greta and in that situation she'd be putting on her gasmask and marching with her hoards telling us we are doomed.
    I want things to change but not at the panic rate that is being demanded by those self righteous people.

    We are due a very cold winter and the timing is about right for the protestors to say 'we told you so'

  26. #126

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sometimes here, sometimes there...
    Posts
    2,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    So your understanding of science is to read what they are saying and take it chapter and verse. There are 2 parts to the thinking. Remember the Professors from Southampton University about 10-15 years ago where they unveiled years of work showing the world they had found how to produce energy from nothing. It was world news lol. They missed a basic theory in their calculations.
    I was told by another scientist about 40+ years ago that it was impossible to find more elements, that has been proved bunkum, the expensive space project that sent a probe to (?) mars and it ran out of fuel as they had calculated in litres when another had calculated in gallons. Dont believe all you read, take into account self interest, the amount of jobs that climate change has provided in the media and elsewhere, and its big business worth billions of dollars. That even on Attenboroughs programme about the seas that 70% of carbon dioxide comes from the seabed, that we are living in the times of social media where hysterical reactions are whipped up, by 24 hour news programmes that need something for the masses to watch.
    Yes there is a change in the worlds weather, well so it seems but in 1963 (56 years ago and we have not had anything like it since) it snowed for months on end with no sign of it ending, can you imagine Greta and in that situation she'd be putting on her gasmask and marching with her hoards telling us we are doomed.
    I want things to change but not at the panic rate that is being demanded by those self righteous people.

    We are due a very cold winter and the timing is about right for the protestors to say 'we told you so'
    This seems abundantly clear...you agree with the reports; but, for some reason, you have an issue with the people that have reacted the most to the reports. How slow do you want the changes in order to keep you happy?....considering that there have been lobbying groups around for the best part of 30 years, you could argue XR are a bit slow in their reaction.....

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Climate_Coalition

    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rbon-emissions

  27. #127

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    I don't think gradual change is any where near enough, that is what we have now (new runway anyone?) - and I think the science backs that up.

    Extinction rebellion's targets are fanciful/impossible but they are bound to be, just to get the point across to fellas like oldnick who still don't understand the science.
    Stuart Basden- one of the founders of extinction rebellion- has stated clearly that his movement is not about the climate, its about "patriarchy" , "heteronormativity" "white supremacy" and "class hierarchy." And you wonder why this approach from some of the founders gets people's back up.

  28. #128

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Stuart Basden- one of the founders of extinction rebellion- has stated clearly that his movement is not about the climate, its about "patriarchy" , "heteronormativity" "white supremacy" and "class hierarchy." And you wonder why this approach from some of the founders gets people's back up.
    If you look on their website you can see it is clearly about the environment.

  29. #129

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    So your understanding of science is to read what they are saying and take it chapter and verse. There are 2 parts to the thinking. Remember the Professors from Southampton University about 10-15 years ago where they unveiled years of work showing the world they had found how to produce energy from nothing. It was world news lol. They missed a basic theory in their calculations.
    I was told by another scientist about 40+ years ago that it was impossible to find more elements, that has been proved bunkum, the expensive space project that sent a probe to (?) mars and it ran out of fuel as they had calculated in litres when another had calculated in gallons. Dont believe all you read, take into account self interest, the amount of jobs that climate change has provided in the media and elsewhere, and its big business worth billions of dollars. That even on Attenboroughs programme about the seas that 70% of carbon dioxide comes from the seabed, that we are living in the times of social media where hysterical reactions are whipped up, by 24 hour news programmes that need something for the masses to watch.
    Yes there is a change in the worlds weather, well so it seems but in 1963 (56 years ago and we have not had anything like it since) it snowed for months on end with no sign of it ending, can you imagine Greta and in that situation she'd be putting on her gasmask and marching with her hoards telling us we are doomed.
    I want things to change but not at the panic rate that is being demanded by those self righteous people.

    We are due a very cold winter and the timing is about right for the protestors to say 'we told you so'
    You sound confused, if you don’t believe the science why exactly do you want things to change?

  30. #130

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    If you look on their website you can see it is clearly about the environment.
    Iíve been with Extinction Rebellion (XR) from the start. I was one of the 15 people in April 2018 who came together and made the collective decision to try to create the conditions that would initiate a rebellion. I was a coordinator of one of the original five working groups, and Iíve been organising with XR day-and-night since then (frugally living off my savings so I donít have to work, having quit an industry that paid me £1000/week). And Iíve been in RisingUp (the organisation from which XR has emerged) since the first RisingUp action in November 2016. Iím a RisingUp Holding Group member, and a member of the XR Guardianship Team.

    And Iím here to say that XR isnít about the climate.


    Sure it is.

  31. Default

    Woman on the Andrew Neil show is getting destroyed at the moment, they can't stand up to even the most simple questioning

  32. #132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    Destitution? WTF?

    #head'sgone!
    Look it up in a dictionary if you don't know what it means. It's over 6 letters and you're a Brexit voter so I assume that's what you meant.

  33. #133

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stalking Theo's Missus
    Posts
    12,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I'm sorry you feel that way it must be a very scary way to live. Genuinely I feel sorry for some of hese activists, I don't doubt that the terror they feel and instill in their children is very real. I can't say that's a feeling I've picked up among people I spend my time with but we probably mix in different circles. I don't relish the prospect of my children going through pain or anguish but a certain level is to be expected in life and some adversity can be a positive thing for building resilience- just look at some of the mentally and physically weak individuals the west has turned out in the last few decades.
    Make your mind up, do you want adversity as its character building or do you want an "economically thriving" country where the kids of the future have it 100s of times better than the past?

  34. #134

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,362

  35. #135

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Make your mind up, do you want adversity as its character building or do you want an "economically thriving" country where the kids of the future have it 100s of times better than the past?
    Seems you didn't read what I wrote. Modern society that is economically prosperous with a "certain level" of adversity will still be hundreds of times better than previous generations had it.

  36. #136

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,145
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I’ve been with Extinction Rebellion (XR) from the start. I was one of the 15 people in April 2018 who came together and made the collective decision to try to create the conditions that would initiate a rebellion. I was a coordinator of one of the original five working groups, and I’ve been organising with XR day-and-night since then (frugally living off my savings so I don’t have to work, having quit an industry that paid me £1000/week). And I’ve been in RisingUp (the organisation from which XR has emerged) since the first RisingUp action in November 2016. I’m a RisingUp Holding Group member, and a member of the XR Guardianship Team.

    And I’m here to say that XR isn’t about the climate.


    Sure it is.
    I’ve seen loads of them (work takes me Westminster way quite a bit) and they seem pretty normal as a whole: pensioners, teachers, scientists, religious groups, NHS workers, young mothers, students who are clearly concerned about the environment. Not the types I’d hang around with but a far cry from some of the media caricatures. Of course you get weirdos and for some XR is a vehicle for other causes. But that’s true of most fringe social movements. Perhaps leave your sheltered suburb, get out a bit more and give the Brendan O’Neill articles a rest for a day pal. It would do you good.
    Last edited by shurlock; 09-10-2019 at 08:06 PM.

  37. #137

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stalking Theo's Missus
    Posts
    12,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Seems you didn't read what I wrote. Modern society that is economically prosperous with a "certain level" of adversity will still be hundreds of times better than previous generations had it.
    How much adversity is just right?

  38. #138

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    How much adversity is just right?
    That's going to differ on an individual basis. For most people it will be somewhere between a 15 year old being packed off to war in 1914 and some of your commie mates crying because the server burnt their avocado toast.

  39. #139

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stalking Theo's Missus
    Posts
    12,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    That's going to differ on an individual basis. For most people it will be somewhere between a 15 year old being packed off to war in 1914 and some of your commie mates crying because the server burnt their avocado toast.
    Being packed off to war at 15 years old is an acceptable level of adversity for you Mens Rights Brexiteers? Gald I'm not your child and excuse me if I want a bit better for my kids.

  40. #140

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Being packed off to war at 15 years old is an acceptable level of adversity for you Mens Rights Brexiteers? Gald I'm not your child and excuse me if I want a bit better for my kids.
    Lol! You can't read pal.

  41. #141

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stalking Theo's Missus
    Posts
    12,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Lol! You can't read pal.
    You're no shurlock.

  42. #142

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    You're no shurlock.
    I accept your apology. You messed up and it's OK to admit that.

  43. #143

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,362

  44. #144

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,594
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    She agrees that we should ban cars, stop flying, ban gas heating and ration meat within the next 6 years. She then ends with "we put a man on the moon!" Fruit loop.

  45. #145

    Default

    Amazing, and she is a spokesperson, thanks for posting that up . Zion Lights if that is her birth name you can imagine her parents and the environment she was brought up in.
    I liked reading the comments about her and using a NASA scientist who helped put a man on the moon, and then went onto say about the millions of tons of fuel used. Fantacists, and hopefully as more of the nonsense these people are exposed the more sensible people will drop away and accept we can help but only in time.

  46. #146

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sometimes here, sometimes there...
    Posts
    2,642

    Default

    There will be a tipping point in the not too distant future, where the evidence will be even more convincing than it is now....and any attempts to belittle the appearance of protestors, the way they perform on TV, their political viewpoints, how they dress etc will look even more embarrassing than it does now.

    To be fair, trying to converses with a load of numbskulls on a football forum, is probably not the best place to debate these issues.

  47. #147

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    12,697

    Default

    Wow! You can tell a society has progressed when a political jibe involves your choice of toast topping. Who thought an avocado could be so defining as indicator of someone’s political leaning?

  48. #148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marsdinho View Post
    There will be a tipping point in the not too distant future, where the evidence will be even more convincing than it is now....and any attempts to belittle the appearance of protestors, the way they perform on TV, their political viewpoints, how they dress etc will look even more embarrassing than it does now.

    To be fair, trying to converses with a load of numbskulls on a football forum, is probably not the best place to debate these issues.
    Yes there may well be a tipping point and perhaps the numbskulls may not be who you are pointing at. From that same twitter there was this and the links if you need them are on that. It was also on there that in 40 years the sea level has risen by 1.5cm. There will have to be a sudden rush for it to raise 1/2 a metre.
    I may add that I am not against society doing something to reduce our pollution and do so in my own life, but I have a great distaste to these people who are basically using lies and extreme fear (especially when young children are being frightened)disrupting normal peoples lives and having a jolly
    LIST OF DOOMSDAY PREDICTIONS THE CLIMATE ALARMIST GOT WRONGHere isthe sourcefor numbers 1-27. As you will see, the individual sources are not crackpots, but scientific studies and media reports on “expert” predictions. The sources for numbers 28-41 are linked individually.
    1. 1967: Dire Famine Forecast By 1975
    2. 1969: Everyone Will Disappear In a Cloud Of Blue Steam By 1989 (1969)
    3. 1970: Ice Age By 2000
    4. 1970: America Subject to Water Rationing By 1974 and Food Rationing By 1980
    5. 1971: New Ice Age Coming By 2020 or 2030
    6. 1972: New Ice Age By 2070
    7. 1974: Space Satellites Show New Ice Age Coming Fast
    8. 1974: Another Ice Age?
    9. 1974: Ozone Depletion a ‘Great Peril to Life
    10. 1976: Scientific Consensus Planet Cooling, Famines imminent
    11. 1980: Acid Rain Kills Life In Lakes
    12. 1978: No End in Sight to 30-Year Cooling Trend
    13. 1988: Regional Droughts (that never happened) in 1990s
    14. 1988: Temperatures in DC Will Hit Record Highs
    15. 1988: Maldive Islands will Be Underwater by 2018 (they’re not)
    16. 1989: Rising Sea Levels will Obliterate Nations if Nothing Done by 2000
    17. 1989: New York City’s West Side Highway Underwater by 2019 (it’s not)
    18. 2000: Children Won’t Know what Snow Is
    19. 2002: Famine In 10 Years If We Don’t Give Up Eating Fish, Meat, and Dairy
    20. 2004: Britain will Be Siberia by 2024
    21. 2008: Arctic will Be Ice Free by 2018
    22. 2008: Climate Genius Al Gore Predicts Ice-Free Arctic by 2013
    23. 2009: Climate Genius Prince Charles Says we Have 96 Months to Save World
    24. 2009: UK Prime Minister Says 50 Days to ‘Save The Planet From Catastrophe’
    25. 2009: Climate Genius Al Gore Moves 2013 Prediction of Ice-Free Arctic to 2014
    26. 2013: Arctic Ice-Free by 2015
    27. 2014: Only 500 Days Before ‘Climate Chaos’
    28. 1968: Overpopulation Will Spread Worldwide
    29. 1970: World Will Use Up All its Natural Resources
    30. 1966: Oil Gone in Ten Years
    31. 1972: Oil Depleted in 20 Years
    32. 1977: Department of Energy Says Oil will Peak in 90s
    33. 1980: Peak Oil In 2000
    34. 1996: Peak Oil in 2020
    35. 2002: Peak Oil in 2010
    36. 2006: Super Hurricanes!
    37. 2005: Manhattan Underwater by 2015
    38. 1970: Urban Citizens Will Require Gas Masks by 1985
    39. 1970: Nitrogen buildup Will Make All Land Unusable
    40. 1970: Decaying Pollution Will Kill all the Fish
    41. 1970s: Killer Bees!

  49. #149

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    12,697

    Default

    So I’m thinking if avocado on toast = the far left, does beans on toast = the far right?
    Also does the type of bread count? I’m assuming white bread right, brown bread left?

  50. #150

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sometimes here, sometimes there...
    Posts
    2,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    Yes there may well be a tipping point and perhaps the numbskulls may not be who you are pointing at. From that same twitter there was this and the links if you need them are on that. It was also on there that in 40 years the sea level has risen by 1.5cm. There will have to be a sudden rush for it to raise 1/2 a metre.
    I may add that I am not against society doing something to reduce our pollution and do so in my own life, but I have a great distaste to these people who are basically using lies and extreme fear (especially when young children are being frightened)disrupting normal peoples lives and having a jolly
    LIST OF DOOMSDAY PREDICTIONS THE CLIMATE ALARMIST GOT WRONGHere isthe sourcefor numbers 1-27. As you will see, the individual sources are not crackpots, but scientific studies and media reports on “expert” predictions. The sources for numbers 28-41 are linked individually.

    1. 1967: Dire Famine Forecast By 1975
    2. 1969: Everyone Will Disappear In a Cloud Of Blue Steam By 1989 (1969)
    3. 1970: Ice Age By 2000
    4. 1970: America Subject to Water Rationing By 1974 and Food Rationing By 1980
    5. 1971: New Ice Age Coming By 2020 or 2030
    6. 1972: New Ice Age By 2070
    7. 1974: Space Satellites Show New Ice Age Coming Fast
    8. 1974: Another Ice Age?
    9. 1974: Ozone Depletion a ‘Great Peril to Life
    10. 1976: Scientific Consensus Planet Cooling, Famines imminent
    11. 1980: Acid Rain Kills Life In Lakes
    12. 1978: No End in Sight to 30-Year Cooling Trend
    13. 1988: Regional Droughts (that never happened) in 1990s
    14. 1988: Temperatures in DC Will Hit Record Highs
    15. 1988: Maldive Islands will Be Underwater by 2018 (they’re not)
    16. 1989: Rising Sea Levels will Obliterate Nations if Nothing Done by 2000
    17. 1989: New York City’s West Side Highway Underwater by 2019 (it’s not)
    18. 2000: Children Won’t Know what Snow Is
    19. 2002: Famine In 10 Years If We Don’t Give Up Eating Fish, Meat, and Dairy
    20. 2004: Britain will Be Siberia by 2024
    21. 2008: Arctic will Be Ice Free by 2018
    22. 2008: Climate Genius Al Gore Predicts Ice-Free Arctic by 2013
    23. 2009: Climate Genius Prince Charles Says we Have 96 Months to Save World
    24. 2009: UK Prime Minister Says 50 Days to ‘Save The Planet From Catastrophe’
    25. 2009: Climate Genius Al Gore Moves 2013 Prediction of Ice-Free Arctic to 2014
    26. 2013: Arctic Ice-Free by 2015
    27. 2014: Only 500 Days Before ‘Climate Chaos’
    28. 1968: Overpopulation Will Spread Worldwide
    29. 1970: World Will Use Up All its Natural Resources
    30. 1966: Oil Gone in Ten Years
    31. 1972: Oil Depleted in 20 Years
    32. 1977: Department of Energy Says Oil will Peak in 90s
    33. 1980: Peak Oil In 2000
    34. 1996: Peak Oil in 2020
    35. 2002: Peak Oil in 2010
    36. 2006: Super Hurricanes!
    37. 2005: Manhattan Underwater by 2015
    38. 1970: Urban Citizens Will Require Gas Masks by 1985
    39. 1970: Nitrogen buildup Will Make All Land Unusable
    40. 1970: Decaying Pollution Will Kill all the Fish
    41. 1970s: Killer Bees!
    Scientific methodology includes the following:

    • 1- Objective observation: Measurement and data (possibly although not necessarily using mathematics as a tool)
    • 2 - Evidence
    • 3 - Experiment and/or observation as benchmarks for testing hypotheses
    • 4 - Induction: reasoning to establish general rules or conclusions drawn from facts or examples
    • 5 - Repetition
    • 6 - Critical analysis
    • 7 - Verification and testing: critical exposure to scrutiny, peer review and assessment
    • I reckon most of those predictions are at stage 6 or 7 above.....more and more data will provide more accurate claims. Which is what seems to be happening at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •