Results 1 to 48 of 48

Thread: Why should we be concerned if Scotland leaves the Union

  1. #1

    Default Why should we be concerned if Scotland leaves the Union

    I very much love Scotland being part of the Union but what are the major advantages of having them tied to the rest of the UK?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,033

    Default

    Good luck to them I say. If we end up with a right wing Tory government with their hard Brexit it’s a no brainer from their point of view.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,194

    Default

    Balkanisation never ends well.

  4. Default

    Sooner they’re gone the better. Whinging jocks.

    Here’s the thing, if the English had their own Parliament & the sweaties didn’t, we’d never hear the end of it.

    People who want the status quo should be grateful that Nigels a unionist, but one day an English nationalist party will destroy it. It won’t be the sweaties leaving, it’ll be the English.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,240

    Default

    One of the most openly bigoted places I have ever been

    I hope the whinging sweaties bugger off soon

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    I very much love Scotland being part of the Union but what are the major advantages of having them tied to the rest of the UK?
    Why bother with England either? what's wrong with reverting to the kingdoms of Wessex, Merica, Anglia, Kent and Northumbria and give independence to Kernow?





    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Sooner they’re gone the better. Whinging jocks.

    Here’s the thing, if the English had their own Parliament & the sweaties didn’t, we’d never hear the end of it.

    People who want the status quo should be grateful that Nigels a unionist, but one day an English nationalist party will destroy it. It won’t be the sweaties leaving, it’ll be the English.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And here is national bigotry in all its glory.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    One of the most openly bigoted places I have ever been
    More so than this forum ?

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    And here is national bigotry in all its glory.
    And here is leftie pony in all its glory.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    And here is leftie pony in all its glory.
    The sooner we get Northern self government, the better.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,967

    Default

    Huge Tories hoping for breakup of the union. I’ve heard it all now.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    And here is leftie pony in all its glory.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Lefty pony decrying what can only be described as a nasty racist point of view. Ok.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Sooner they’re gone the better. Whinging jocks.

    Here’s the thing, if the English had their own Parliament & the sweaties didn’t, we’d never hear the end of it.

    People who want the status quo should be grateful that Nigels a unionist, but one day an English nationalist party will destroy it. It won’t be the sweaties leaving, it’ll be the English.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you finding people giving you a wide berth in the pub?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,676

    Default

    United Ireland. Independent Scotland and Wales. Out of the EU. Can you imagine what the state of our economy will be like.

    But at least we will have got our country back.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    United Ireland. Independent Scotland and Wales. Out of the EU. Can you imagine what the state of our economy will be like.

    But at least we will have got our country back.
    It will great. Good news, no?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    It will great. Good news, no?
    You want a United Ireland? We should give the Falklands back no?

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    You want a United Ireland? We should give the Falklands back no?
    yeah we need to cut all these free loaders loose

    Anguilla
    Bermuda
    British Antarctic Territory
    British Indian Ocean Territory
    Cayman Islands
    Falkland Islands
    Gibraltar
    Montserrat
    Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands
    South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
    Sovereign Base areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia on Cyprus
    St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Virgin Islands
    Portsmouth

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    You want a United Ireland? We should give the Falklands back no?
    Back to who?

    Falkland islanders are free to chose their own destiny.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    You want a United Ireland? We should give the Falklands back no?
    Back? It's only ever really been a British colony.

    This thread seems a waste of time and is just another place for less mature posters to use unpleasant language about other groups of people. Shame as there is a real discussion to have, but this is clearly not it. It's just another opportunity to dwell on stereotypes, cheap insults and general hatred.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norwaysaint View Post
    It's just another opportunity to dwell on stereotypes, cheap insults and general hatred.
    Brexit Britain writ large.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norwaysaint View Post
    Back? It's only ever really been a British colony.

    This thread seems a waste of time and is just another place for less mature posters to use unpleasant language about other groups of people. Shame as there is a real discussion to have, but this is clearly not it. It's just another opportunity to dwell on stereotypes, cheap insults and general hatred.
    umm no if that was the case Argentina wouldn't be kicking up a fuss. The first colonists where French who sold to it to Spain it was then a Spanish colony first administrated from Spanish South America later to become Argentina and Uruguay hence their claim to the islands.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    Brexit Britain writ large.
    Indeed. I gave up watching Question Time the other night because any time anyone mentioned anything pro remain their were loud boos from the audience. Brexit is brining out the worst in this country.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    umm no if that was the case Argentina wouldn't be kicking up a fuss. The first colonists where French who sold to it to Spain it was then a Spanish colony first administrated from Spanish South America later to become Argentina and Uruguay hence their claim to the islands.
    there a a huge number of reasons why Argentina kick up a fuss; it goes round in cycles.
    either way, the islanders don't want to be part of Argentina. Surely their 'votes' count... I know many don't agree with that policy (making peoples vote count for something) here but it is kind of important...unless of course, the falkland islanders didnt know what they were voting for?

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    there a a huge number of reasons why Argentina kick up a fuss; it goes round in cycles.
    either way, the islanders don't want to be part of Argentina. Surely their 'votes' count... I know many don't agree with that policy (making peoples vote count for something) here but it is kind of important...unless of course, the falkland islanders didnt know what they were voting for?
    How would you feel if the Falkland Islanders had voted to stay in the EU and now wanted independence?

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    How would you feel if the Falkland Islanders had voted to stay in the EU and now wanted independence?
    If they wanted that path, nothing to stop them leaving the UK flag (and protection). If that was the will of their people, fair enough

  26. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    United Ireland. Independent Scotland and Wales. Out of the EU. Can you imagine what the state of our economy will be like.

    But at least we will have got our country back.
    A United Ireland is a moral and just cause. Can’t believe there’s lefties on here arguing otherwise.

    As for the Sweaties. All we keep hearing about is how they’re being dragged out of The EU against their will. What about a The English, being held in the EU against their will. Simple solution, we leave the EU, the Sweaties leave the UK and we put up a hard border in between. Id give Krankie her second referendum. In the EU and out of the UK or in the UK and out of the EU. Make your choice.

    Nobody mentioned the Welsh, but it wouldn’t be the English economy suffering from any split. An independent England would be far further right leaning without having scores of Taffs voting labour. We could truly have a radical, low tax Government.

    Within 20 years the difference between England & the other 2 would be like East and West Germany pre-unification.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,819

    Default

    Argentina has never had a colonial population living there. The population of the Falklands has simply never been Argentinian.

    Their only claims are that they once owned it in theory and that they are the closest mainland, but they are close to it like Britain is close to Iceland.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,819

    Default

    As for Scotland and Ireland, I'd find it a shame if they left the union, but I could understand why people living in both might want to leave.

  29. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norwaysaint View Post
    As for Scotland and Ireland, I'd find it a shame if they left the union, but I could understand why people living in both might want to leave.
    But you can’t understand why an Englishman would want to?




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    But you can’t understand why an Englishman would want to?




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Want to what? Leave the United Kingdom? Of course I can. I did.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,819

    Default

    If you mean English people wanting England to be separate from any other country, I have no problems with that. I don't understand why there's a need for childish name calling and silly stereotypes, but I've understood that's the level of discussion many here go for. I guess I shouldn't expect too much sophistication on a football forum though, so my fault for looking.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    A United Ireland is a moral and just cause.
    When do you expect the Conservative and Unionist Party to agree with you ?

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    11,819

    Default

    Would Scotland be allowed into the EU - I recall from their referendum that there was a strong sense that they wouldn't meet the joining criteria, but not sure???

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    there a a huge number of reasons why Argentina kick up a fuss; it goes round in cycles.
    either way, the islanders don't want to be part of Argentina. Surely their 'votes' count... I know many don't agree with that policy (making peoples vote count for something) here but it is kind of important...unless of course, the falkland islanders didnt know what they were voting for?
    Two separate issues. I'm merely pointing out that Britain weren't the first to colonise the Falkland islands hence Argentina's claims. I'm not suggesting anything else with regards to sovereignty.

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Two separate issues. I'm merely pointing out that Britain weren't the first to colonise the Falkland islands hence Argentina's claims. I'm not suggesting anything else with regards to sovereignty.
    I don't think anyone has ever disputed that?
    Argentina's claims are a completely different conversation. and a defunct one

  36. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    Would Scotland be allowed into the EU - I recall from their referendum that there was a strong sense that they wouldn't meet the joining criteria, but not sure???
    There was certainly mention that there would be obstacles to joining and that it shouldn't be taken for granted. At the time Spain in particular were seen as obstructive as they didn't want Catalonia thinking they too could go it alone and join the EU.

    But times have changed, and in the event of Brexit if it ever happens I suspect Barnier and co will be more receptive to Scotland joining the EU, if only to p!ss England off. This could throw up a further and greater border issue than N Ireland.

  37. #37

    Default

    I may be wrong but I thought that one of the issues was if Scotland were to join the EU they would be obliged to join the Euro. To me that would not necessarily be a bad thing but that could cause a few issues for many people !!

  38. Default Why should we be concerned if Scotland leaves the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    This could throw up a further and greater border issue than N Ireland.

    No it won’t. The NI border is unique because of the troubles & the Good Friday agreement.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamesaint View Post
    I may be wrong but I thought that one of the issues was if Scotland were to join the EU they would be obliged to join the Euro. To me that would not necessarily be a bad thing but that could cause a few issues for many people !!
    All member states except the UK and Denmark must work towards adopting the Euro, by developing and following a plan to meet the Covergence Criteria, ( financial governance rules ).

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,673

    Default

    Can't believe people are advocating over turning a "once in a lifetime" ( SNPs own words) referendum that only happened 5 years ago. Surely the Scots aren't allowed to change their minds are they? How undemocratic would that be to the people who voted remain in 2014...

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  41. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Shirley
    Posts
    2,001

    Default

    We'd have to find somewhere else to park our Trident subs.

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    We'd have to find somewhere else to park our Trident subs.
    the MOD is the biggest employer in Scotland other than the NHS.
    milk and honey up there

  43. Default Why should we be concerned if Scotland leaves the Union

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Can't believe people are advocating over turning a "once in a lifetime" ( SNPs own words) referendum that only happened 5 years ago. Surely the Scots aren't allowed to change their minds are they? How undemocratic would that be to the people who voted remain in 2014...

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    They’ve had 5 years remaining . We haven’t even had 1 minute out of the EU.

    It’s ridiculous to have a vote on independence before the EU/UK relationship is sorted. Once that is sorted, the Sweaties can vote on Remaining with that relationship , or leaving the UK.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  44. #44

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,676

    Default

    If they do gain independence, what happens to the Union Jack? I assume the blue background and white cross come out too?

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    West Coast Portugal/Romsey
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    There was certainly mention that there would be obstacles to joining and that it shouldn't be taken for granted. At the time Spain in particular were seen as obstructive as they didn't want Catalonia thinking they too could go it alone and join the EU.

    But times have changed, and in the event of Brexit if it ever happens I suspect Barnier and co will be more receptive to Scotland joining the EU, if only to p!ss England off. This could throw up a further and greater border issue than N Ireland.
    The EU have said that if the UK Brexit then Scotland will too brexit. They can reapply but it would be more than likely that Spain would veto their joining due to Catalan probs. Spanish also having a say about Kosovo and their non interest of small broken away states and vetoing their joining. Also, the Scottish deficit is so high that that silly woman in charge of the SNP cannot see that they would lose all subsidy from jolly old Uk which prop up free NHS including teeth, medicine, education inc Uni etc who will pay for this the Eu? They are just not that stupid yet still Sturgeon walks around grinning can’t stand her so if it means they leave to get rid, good bloody riddance.

  46. #46

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    18,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Portugalsaint View Post
    The EU have said that if the UK Brexit then Scotland will too brexit. They can reapply but it would be more than likely that Spain would veto their joining due to Catalan probs. Spanish also having a say about Kosovo and their non interest of small broken away states and vetoing their joining.
    That's odd. I could have sworn one of themes of the leave debate was Britain had to get out because we couldnt stop Turkey, Ukraine and Kazakhstan joining.

  47. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    That's odd. I could have sworn one of themes of the leave debate was Britain had to get out because we couldnt stop Turkey, Ukraine and Kazakhstan joining.
    We, the people, couldn’t . Just as we couldn’t stop Romania, or Poland joining. Only the Government has a veto. British Government policy was for Turkey to join, in fact the PM & leader of the Remain campaign stated he was “angry at the lack of progress in the negotiations “ before adding that “the UK will do everything it can to help Turkey "pave the road from Ankara to Brussels".



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    18,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    We, the people, couldn’t . Just as we couldn’t stop Romania, or Poland joining. Only the Government has a veto. British Government policy was for Turkey to join, in fact the PM & leader of the Remain campaign stated he was “angry at the lack of progress in the negotiations “ before adding that “the UK will do everything it can to help Turkey "pave the road from Ankara to Brussels".
    That's true - but simply makes the point eloquently that much of what people blame the EU for is actually the result of UK Government policy or the way it applies EU law - such as not imposing restrictions on freedom of movement as other states do.
    Last edited by buctootim; 13-11-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •