SSN reports - Wotte likely to stay

Smirking_Saint

Should Wotte remain as manager?  

551 members have voted

1. 1. Should Wotte remain as manager?

• Yes - Long term
    • Yes - Short term only
    • No

I don't think sky can make their mind up.

on their review they've just said ''....has completed his takeover of southampton football club and confirmed that Mark Wotte will stay on as manager''.

we'll wait and see i guess, lots more to unravel over the next month.

Like i said before, maybe of benefit at the moment as he has been working with the players, understands them and hopefully has made his targets.

It is important however to install a team around him to support him, or even have someone to work with him ??

Just hope he has the respect of the players and can get the best out of them.

He has shown us loyalty, we should atleast give him a chance.

Worst possible scenario is to 'give him a chance' then sack him sometime into the season....that's Lowe tactics and we all know for a FACT that does not work. In fact, it's completely suicidal. Either appoint the guy, give him resources and the season, OR get shot of him now (perhaps back to the Academy) and appoint a Manager who has a successful track record and knows what they're doing. I vote for the latter choice - Wotte has shown us what he can(not) do.

I'd like a manager with the personal clout to bring in players that wouldn't normally come to League One.

Keegan would be my first choice.

A very good point. Money talks, but so too would a seasoned and well respected manager. And that is not Wotte!

Wotte has handled himself well over the last few weeks, but IMO he is a poor manager during the 90mins of football. Too many poor tactically decisions ;

- The diamond system with McG playing as a 3rd forward when we are being overrun in midfield;

- Playing a left footer (e.g. Smith) on the right wing and BWP (all right foot) on left wing means they are always cutting back into the oppo midfield.

- No organisation at defensive set plays, I still do do know whether we man mark or use zone marking (remember the 1st 30mins at Wolves). The players don't seem to know what they are suppose to do.

- No preparation before games as to which oppo players to watch, which to double up on etc, he just lets to players find out for themselves.

- His tactics for getting the ball from back to front usually involved a "route-one" hoof, even when the oppo midfield aren't pressing the ball.

I could go on for hours about his poor tactics and generally poor reading of a game. He may be a good manager Monday to Friday but for me he makes too many mistakes during games.

p.s. For info - For the people who control the Saints Trust site I think it has been hacked by somebody.

With so much knowledge you must have a big job in the game already, eh?

Great news for this club but a clean sweep is needed. Those saying give him a chance will be the same people saying boot him out 3 or 4 months down the line. Let's save ourselves the bother of all that. Get in a guy we can get behind for the longterm.

We need a manager who has respect in the game, someone who will get good enough players to drop down to play for us in League One. Our current squad will struggle under anyone next season, even more so with a guy who has pretty much a 50% loss ratio.

Let Wotte go back to his old job and everyone will be happy.

Like i said before, maybe of benefit at the moment as he has been working with the players, understands them and hopefully has made his targets.

It is important however to install a team around him to support him, or even have someone to work with him ??

Just hope he has the respect of the players and can get the best out of them.

He has shown us loyalty, we should atleast give him a chance.

There's a big difference between loyalty and "hanging on for dear life".

I know he had the Egyptian offer, but realistically, that's like being able to manage Totton when you're currently at the helm of Tottenham.

Poll? Or are the mods a little nervous? ;)

Should Wotte Stay as Manager?

A. Yes - he deserves a chance.

B. No - he relegated us and its time to get someone else to make this a truly fresh start.

C. No - but he should be given a job at Saints like DoF or Academy Director to retain his knowledge of the current playing squad.

D. Dont know.

why would mods be nervous?

65% want Wotte to stay - surprising but he seems the popular choice now!

Continuity after only 6 months? Surely it makes little difference. I want a manager for 6 years, if Wotte can show he can prove he's good enough on the pitch I will support him for 6 years or more. But, so far he errrr... hasnt. I suppose it goes down as a shaky start, relegation?

Still, better luck this time Wotte. Go for it! Prove to us all you are better than the evidence suggests!

not sure whether he should stay but happy to go with the new owners decision. I don't think last season is an esy one to judge him on it - guess Shearer had the same shaky start at Newcastle - relegating team already down.

but 80% want him gone in a short time

all management appointments are now short-term, if he is doing badly those who wanted him long term would want him out, if he does great those wanting short-term would want him to stay.

Should get a rolling contract to see if he has what it takes to get us out of this **** division........i think it is the least he deserves for staying around when it looked like all was doomed..............................

If after 3/4 months we are still lurking with the basement , then make the necessary change

I think we need continuity, and Wotte has been incredibly professional and dignified throughout this whole saga.

A chance to prove himself in happier circumstances has been well earned, in my view.

Get rid of him! He was appointed as a cheap option by wilde and lowe and quite frankly is not good enough to take this club forward.

Sorry I don't think he is the right man to take us forward. Thank him for his commitment but I think even Wotte would prefer to be back in his previous post.

He strikes me as being a bit surprised he is still here himself

Now is the time for change, no point in 3-4 months when we are still bottom of the table. That will be seen as the new boss first mistake

I can't understand why anyone would want Keegan if Liebherr says we will build steadily and sensibly. Keegan would want obscene amounts of money to spend and would not be here for the long term: when the going gets tough he runs for the hills.

I can't understand why anyone would want Keegan if Liebherr says we will build steadily and sensibly. Keegan would want obscene amounts of money to spend and would not be here for the long term: when the going gets tough he runs for the hills.

you dont need a manager to stay 10 years to build steadily

You are a billionaire taking over a new business. The current manager paid to extract himself from a contact and was a very cheap option at the time of his original appointment. He has proved himself less than competent up to now. You are starting the season with a ten point defecit so need to hit the ground running. Are people serious when they say that Wotte should be given a chance? Think about it. Markus Liebherr is obviously successful so I cannot believe he will hand the most important job at the football club to someone who has never exactly acheived anything. It's not about sentiment and giving someone a chance. It's about a hard headed business decision and bringing in the very best man you can afford. If that's Wotte then we are in trouble. Forget continuity, we need a manager with a bit of nous who can inspire the players and fans and that is what will put bums on seats and get revenue flowing back into this great club. Let's set the bar high not settle for the same old same old. We need a rapid rise back to the Premier League and I'm afraid Wotte is not the guy to generate that intensity and passion. He was a makeshift during exteremely hard times. Someone new please or we are showing a complete lack of ambition.

You are a billionaire taking over a new business. The current manager paid to extract himself from a contact and was a very cheap option at the time of his original appointment. He has proved himself less than competent up to now. You are starting the season with a ten point defecit so need to hit the ground running. Are people serious when they say that Wotte should be given a chance? Think about it. Markus Liebherr is obviously successful so I cannot believe he will hand the most important job at the football club to someone who has never exactly acheived anything. It's not about sentiment and giving someone a chance. It's about a hard headed business decision and bringing in the very best man you can afford. If that's Wotte then we are in trouble. Forget continuity, we need a manager with a bit of nous who can inspire the players and fans and that is what will put bums on seats and get revenue flowing back into this great club. Let's set the bar high not settle for the same old same old. We need a rapid rise back to the Premier League and I'm afraid Wotte is not the guy to generate that intensity and passion. He was a makeshift during exteremely hard times. Someone new please or we are showing a complete lack of ambition.

Love your post, mate.

My sentiments exactly.

What would you say to KK : Year One?

Sums up the reality of the situation perfectly

Keep him on for the stability, been very loyal and the club seems to have got under his skin.

See how we go and look to move him to academy director long term unless he really gets to grip withth L1 - a valued addition to the club, just needs to find his calling.

But who is going to chose a new coach/manager? Surely there is no one presently at the club qualified or with enough knowledge of English football to make the selection. I can feel an Echo poll coming on. At least if the fans make the choice we can't moan when he turns out to be rubbish!

Wotte may have handled himself well as some posters are saying - He may be able to Talk the Talk

But in my opinion he should feel lucky to still be a part of this club. People have short memories - He is part of the reason we are where we are.

If so, then he is part of group with a large membership. Get over it.

Minsk, pity Pearson wasn't given a 12 month contract from the start then your one trick pony may have had the opportunity to prove his worth in even more difficult times. Still water under the bridge and Wotte deserves his chance as given the circumstances his record is comparable to Pearson's.

I think we need continuity, and Wotte has been incredibly professional and dignified throughout this whole saga.

A chance to prove himself in happier circumstances has been well earned, in my view.

Well put. He had the most impossible job and, whilst I'm not bowled over by him tactically and his choice of players he deems good, I think he's acted with extreme professionalism in dire circumstances and deserves a chance on a level playing field (i.e. a pre-season, a new start, hopefully some transfer budget and chance to add to the squad where he feels the need, giving him a chance to show us how he'd like to run the team with the support he needs).

Worth a shot. If not, the new gang can settle in, converse, plan and bring in some well suited manager to really drive the club forward.

After listening to AO's comments on Sainttv i don't think Wotte will be around for long. If ML can afford to employ someone like Cortese then he's not going to spoil the ship for a hapeth of tar.

Get rid of him! He was appointed as a cheap option by wilde and lowe and quite frankly is not good enough to take this club forward.

Better than Dodd and Gorman and Pearson though eh Gammon? At least Lowe had the self-belief in his decisions to give Wotte a decent contract.

Wotte is more than good enough and has earned the right given the circumstances that he had to work under last season and the rumours from the Pinnacle bid. We need strong and determined leaders and ones not easily swayed by the need to be popular with the fans just the courage of their convictions. Wotte is the ideal man.

The grapes tasting a little sour tonight? Dip then in a fondue, works a treat.

Well put. He had the most impossible job and, whilst I'm not bowled over by him tactically and his choice of players he deems good, I think he's acted with extreme professionalism in dire circumstances and deserves a chance on a level playing field (i.e. a pre-season, a new start, hopefully some transfer budget and chance to add to the squad where he feels the need, giving him a chance to show us how he'd like to run the team with the support he needs).

Worth a shot. If not, the new gang can settle in, converse, plan and bring in some well suited manager to really drive the club forward.

Shock horror, I agree, must be that alpine fresh air.

I was concerned to hear Wotte tout Gobern as a potential replacement for Surman as Gobern looked distinctly below average when I saw him under JP last season. That said McGoldrick wasn't much better but no one can deny that under Wotte DMG was a completely different player and as a result I was sad to see him go.

There are signs that Wotte has the potential to be an excellent manager in more harmonius times and is recommeded by Martin Jol and given what he has achieved then I'd settle for his professional assessment over any amateur and jaundiced opinion.

Better than Dodd and Gorman and Pearson though eh Gammon? At least Lowe had the self-belief in his decisions to give Wotte a decent contract.

Wotte is more than good enough and has earned the right given the circumstances that he had to work under last season and the rumours from the Pinnacle bid. We need strong and determined leaders and ones not easily swayed by the need to be popular with the fans just the courage of their convictions. Wotte is the ideal man.

The grapes tasting a little sour tonight? Dip then in a fondue, works a treat.

There you again. Please explain how a manager/head coach who was involved with a team ALL season and ended up firmly at the helm when they got relegated is better than a pe(a)rson who has to come in with few games remaining, steadies a sinking ship and keeps it afloat?

Fancy pointing us to Wotte's and Pearson's points per game ratios?

I would rather we brought in a new manager who has the ability to attract real quality players.

Whilst Wotte should be praised for his actions in what has been a difficult time for the club, I think we need a new man at the helm.

I wouldn't be totally against the idea of MW reverting to his role with the Academy, but a fresh start under new ownership is best.

Whatever happens, I'm willing to give my total support to the team. Roll on August 8th!

Oh, and if Wotte is given the chance in lg1 we will see how he compares with Pearson then won't we?

I would fully expect him (with the addition of 10 points of course) to get us promoted as champions if, as you state, he is so much better than NP.

I guess time will tell, or (hopefully) not. ;)

I think he'll only be here short term till a replacement is sorted out. Fair play to the guy for sticking around, but every season we are outside of the prem = us missing out on those prem megabucks as well as low gates at sms. lower shirt sales etc etc. Get someone in with the proven experience to get us out of this league at the first attempt I say, which is also hopefully what the new owner says. :-)

NIce bloke stuck by us un the last few months but lets face it hes not for us, we need some one with a passion for the club and some one whose goung to stand on the line and show that to both fans and players as I said nice bloke but not for us, this is a fantastic new start for Saints and I for one would like to see a new manager for a new era

I think its crucial that the owner takes time to get the right people on board, these decisions will have the greatest impact on our future. Wotte rightly has been given a years contract and i think he should treat this as his reward for being loyal, in a time of great uncertainty.

I dont feel that Wotte is the right man for the job unfortunately, for many reasons, and to keep him in place will risk the likely need to remove him during the season with the effect of losing this season.

I am sure the new owner will be aware of the mistakes the idiot Lowe made in too many of his managerial appointments.

I therefor hope that we have a good manager in place ideally by the start of the season, giving Wotte our sincere thanks and appreciation for the way he has carried him self over this difficult time.

I agree that Wotte has acted with dignity over the last 3 months....but how else did people expect anyone in his position to act?

We have a wonderful opportunity to start afresh and we shouldn't let emotions get in the way of getting the best manager available in to do the job.

I just can't rationalise that, no matter how dignified he's been, Wotte is the best option going forward.

As I say, we have a wonderful opportunity. Let's not waste it by playing the sentimental card.

(to answer the inevitable next question....yes, I will support the club and Wotte if the new owner keeps him.)

Ultimately the owner or his representatives will decide. We can either sulk or get on with supporting the team and I am glad to see that the latter is your option (btw I would prefer a new manager too but I am happy to see what Wotte can do given the new set of circumstances)