SSN reports - Wotte likely to stay

Smirking_Saint

Should Wotte remain as manager?  

551 members have voted

1. 1. Should Wotte remain as manager?

• Yes - Long term
    • Yes - Short term only
    • No

he has handled himself well in the past month or 2, even with all the uncertainty. Im happy for him to be given a chance.

Couldn't agree more. You can't fail to respect the man and clearly he has impressed our new owner and more importantly when others only spoke of his removal he stayed loyal until it looked like Pinnacle were going to succeed and he walked before he was pushed without complaint.

Personally, I think he deserves a two year contract with promotion to the CCC by the end of it. I suspect others would prefer a 12 month rolling contract but if that is the case I think we need to be realistic about our aims this season and not chastise him if we simply have a season of safety and consolidation.

Why do so many say on here that Wotte "deserves" a chance?

Adjective: deserving (comparative more deserving, superlative most deserving)

1. Considered worthy of reward.

Please tell me what it is that he has done that makes him worty of reward?

I would suggest that the opposite is true.

I don't think it's a question of division and/or stability only a timing issue with no board to lay the foundations of ML's vision for the club and bring in the most suitable person.

I'm not impressed with Wotte's career at the many clubs he's been at either as coach, technical director or his time here but it's a new season and I hope he can at least learn from his first season at Saints and get the team to put in a decent performance.

Edited by Doctoroncall
html tags

So he had half of our games last season, got us relagated, was not even close to keeping us up. But deserves a chance?

If he kept us up then i would agree, he has not done anything to deserve staying on. If he is getting the job for being loyal then give it to the tea lady who worked 3 weeks without being paid, not to the ****er who got us relegated.....

I voted yes - short term, merely to provide continuity until ML has his exec. team in place.

I would have preferred to vote for "It's Markus' club and he can appoint whoever he likes. I will back that decision 100%, though I may not necessarily like it".

'Yes- Short term only' is the same as 'No - not for us in the medium/long term' isnt it?

So voted 'No' due to the confusion on that.

I think you can interpret it as 'No' - to go asap, short term - up to the end of this season and long term - beyond this season for a Saints manager.

I think you can interpret it as 'No' - to go asap, short term - up to the end of this season and long term - beyond this season for a Saints manager.

Thats really confused me now. Strikes me that the middle vote means 'Yeah but no but'.

I think its like voting Liberal Democrats. So, I will put it down as a neutral vote even though everyone voting on it is saying they dont want Wotte in the medium/long term and watch the poll for yes and no.

Why do so many say on here that Wotte "deserves" a chance?

It's a natural human reaction to give people the benefit of the doubt during the euphoria of a good news situation.

People need to detach themselves from the sentimentality of the moment and rationalise who would be the best manager for Saints going forward.

IMHO of course

It's a natural human reaction to give people the benefit of the doubt during the euphoria of a good news situation.

People need to detach themselves from the sentimentality of the moment and rationalise who would be the best manager for Saints going forward.

IMHO of course

Alot of truth in that Trousers. Be interesting to watch this poll develop even with that euphoria.

IMHO of course

You may well be right about the "euphoria effect". I know I was "euphoric" about Wotte's abilities after we drew with giants like Eastleigh and Totton ;)

Thank goodness that's over, or should I say ..just beginning.

My only real question is ;

WHO does our new owner take his advice from?

I'm assuming he didn't know of Saints before April and hasn't been a life-long fan (as I am )..and so which " football " people does he take HIS advice from in the planning of our future ?

We all recall the fateful takeover in 1996 and how RL stamped his authority in a sport he wasn't familiar with...namely FOOTBALL. I'd like to know who his behind-the-scenes advisers in the UK are....and how he will handle the club's traditions?

I'm not being negative - but for my part I'd hate to think that names like McMenemy and Le Tissier will only appear in the club's history books and that they can't have some sort of higher profile as ambassadors (or the like) as they are the people we associate most with our clubs history.

However WELCOME to our new owner! COYR !!!!!!!!

Uhm - I fully appreciate the romanticism of having our legends involved, but its not necessary and can be counter productive. LM is known for being stong willed and opinionated and will it really help if the new owners want to do their thing with LM going on about how things have been done in the past - in an era when football was different - Happier with MLT, but what experience can he offer in terms of club direction - he has not been involved in the business and commercial side of clubs since he retired so it would have to be the right role. His Pinnacle involvement may have scuppered his chances though.

TBH, independent advice without Saints weight of history could be the best bet. We cant afterall recreate the 70s or 80s - as the game has changed so much especially commercially... we want a new era we new opportunity really...IMHO

Couldn't agree more. You can't fail to respect the man and clearly he has impressed our new owner and more importantly when others only spoke of his removal he stayed loyal until it looked like Pinnacle were going to succeed and he walked before he was pushed without complaint.

Which is exactly how I would have reacted if I wanted to keep my job options as open as possible.

Going into a strop on the 2nd April was hardly going to improve his prospects of getting a job for next season, whether at Saints or elsewhere. Was it?

Personally, I think he deserves a two year contract with promotion to the CCC by the end of it. I suspect others would prefer a 12 month rolling contract but if that is the case I think we need to be realistic about our aims this season and not chastise him if we simply have a season of safety and consolidation.

i do believe that is the 2nd time we have agreed on something ;-)

I think reading Markus Liebherr's statement on the OS that Wotte will only be in charge for the short term and will be replaced, as the article quotes him as saying that "We will assemble a strong management team at every level, we shall act rapidly" and then the article says he implied that an announcement of the management team will be made in early August.

This indicates to me that someone is lined up to take over with their own team of coaches.

In my opinion I think Wotte should have been given a season to see how he would cope and reward him for his loyalty but I don't think this will happen in reality.

Hmmm, apart from a 3 match spell I think he fell well short of the grade last season. I also believe there are far better managers available. Having said that, he has certainly carried himself with dignity during the past few months, he has already started with the pre-season preps, he knows the players and should know which areas we need to reinforce.

Ideally I would like us to get Tisdale in, but I can see why others believe he should be given a chance. If, as it appears he will be, given a chance I will (obviously) wish him every success in the world. However, I will reserve the right to criticise him should we not be climbing into the top half of the table by Christmas.

Whilst I have reservations about Wotte, I must commend him on how he has handled the situation & how he has stuck by the club when it would have been easy to walk away. He deserves to be given the chance to change our fortunes & most of our minds about his managerial expertise. Not sure anyone could have saved us last year, but that's another thing, If he's given the opportunity to re-build & then gets the results well fair enough. But its short term & results based for me do the buisness & see about longer term then.

If you think about it logically though Wotte shouldn't be here at all! Poorvliet and Wotte were both part of the same coaching team when Poorvliet left it was only fair and right that Wotte should have gone too

Wotte should stay as long as he remains professional and delivers good results.

If it becomes clear he is not up to the job with the resources he now has available to him, then he should be replaced.

But that doesn't mean he should be sacked without being given a chance. Nor does it mean that one or two bad results justify a sacking.

Ok....let's try coming from a more philosophical angle....

For all those saying "Give Wotte (another) chance"....if Wotte had never been at the club and a shortlist of potential new managers was being drawn up by our new owner and Mr Wotte was one of the names on that list...how many of you would be chosing Wotte as your first choice (assuming the 'usual suspects' would be on the aforementioned shortlist)

I would venture the number of people pinpointing Mr Wotte on a 'list of new managers' would be a tad less than the number of people saying "give him (another) chance".

At the end of the day, Wotte will never be a 'unity' candidate and it's unity that I trust the manager will be looking to achieve in his mission to re-engage the fan base and local community.

IMHO of course

I must commend him on how he has handled the situation & how he has stuck by the club when it would have been easy to walk away

Walk away to where? An obscure Egyptian team? How many other clubs were headhunting him?

Apologies if this sounds like a personal witch hunt....it's just that the phrase "he conducted himself well" is starting to annoy me just a tad...

A really fresh start - no Wotte on the pitch, and no Oldknow in the boardroom - would be the best possible situation.

Club greats such as Lawrie and MLT should be treated with the respect they deserve, and maybe be used in some PR activities, but should not have any official functions.

A clean sheet would be great!

I only hope he don't get the situation where we don't start the season well, go behind in a home game and then some of our more vocal and fickle fans starting hurling all sorts of abuse at Wotte while Markus looks on from the director's box.

Not the sort of impression of our club that we want to give him and could have him questioning what he was bought.

Give the guy a break. He will rise or fall by his actions this season, as it will be him that takes full responsibility from the start. He won't be taking over from a clown half way through this season. I will back what ever Marcus decides, after all it's his dosh that will save us. COME ON YOU SAINTS

It all depends upon Wotte Wotte has got to work with. We have a far weaker team and little time to correct matters. From everything I have heard Markus is a very cautious person in business and if that extends to Saints we could well be in for a bumpy ride. I get the feeling he will not be looking at promotion this season, more consolidation.

If this is the case Wotte really has his work cut out for him with hopefully some strengthening in the January window to prop up what we can get in now?

Certainly Wotte does not Earn a right to stay because of behavining in a dignified manner - that is afterall what ALL staff should show in such a situation, even if they decided to leave when their contract was up. What will earn him the right is results and good management - I think he has earned teh bnefit of the doubt and should be given a chance to demonstrate what he can do if building his own side, because of hjis loyalty, but results as with all managers are what counts - the tricky thing is HOW LONG you give someone to build a side and get them to gell... and thats where we all disagree really for ome it ont be good enough if we have not won at least 50% of games by Christmas, others will be expecting play offs some merely happy with slow progress....

Hmmm, and this from a man who didn't think the manager who saved us from relegation the previous season (unlike Wotte, and with a better points per match record than him in the CCC) was worthy to be kept on. I think the term you regularly used was 'boot boy' when reffering to Nigel Pearson? I believe he also 'remained loyal' over the close season.

Let's also not forget that Wotte was involved for the entire season during our relegation the the 3rd tier.

Wotte may have handled himself well as some posters are saying - He may be able to Talk the Talk

But in my opinion he should feel lucky to still be a part of this club. People have short memories - He is part of the reason we are where we are.

The official statement says there will be a new management team in August. I read that as not Wotte.

Yes but this could in effect be referring to the boardroom and senior staff, not the football 'managment' etc - had he meant that being continental he would surely have said 'coaching set up'...

Wotte should stay as long as he remains professional and delivers good results.

If it becomes clear he is not up to the job with the resources he now has available to him, then he should be replaced.

But that doesn't mean he should be sacked without being given a chance. Nor does it mean that one or two bad results justify a sacking.

Eastleigh 1 Saints 1

Totton 2 Saints 2 (one OG by Totton)

Much as I agree that Wotte has acted with dignity under fire he still did not produce spectacular results on the field. I feel we need a completely fresh start and if we can attract a bigger name - like KK as mentioned recently or someone of that ilk not only will it raise our profile amongst potential players but more importantly get bums on seats to watch the game

I cannot think of any available Manager who would be within the Saints price range and who would at the same time satisfy ALL the fans/supporters.

As ML has paid the money and I have not, I do not feel it is my right to tell him who to choose, but I would guess he will seek opinions from experienced advisers.

Meanwhile, as MW is our current Manager; he has my full current support.

For the moment!

Sky sports did another live update about 20mins ago, and the reporter 'understood' that they want to bring a new ''football manager'' to the club.

not sure where they heard it from though....

Good. Wotte's rubbish.

Cue a load of 'loyalty' balls.

I think Wotte should stay as Accademy Manager though

Would he want to though? After all he did go for the Egypt job as his 'pride' didnt allow him to prepare the team for someone else. (His words) Loyalty.... sort of.

I think he'd want to go. I would if I were him and the vast majority of fans at best only wanted you for a short period of time or didnt want you at all.