SSN reports - Wotte likely to stay

Smirking_Saint

Should Wotte remain as manager?  

551 members have voted

1. 1. Should Wotte remain as manager?

• Yes - Long term
    • Yes - Short term only
    • No

it is not time for divisions. Wotte has stayed dignified and may or not be the best suited but he was very much part of this takeover. Some noticed how he said he spoke to the group a month ago when he was interviewed the other day. He knew who they were and they are impressed with him and so we have to give him a chance to prove himself. He has some difficult decisions coming up.

it is not time for divisions. Wotte has stayed dignified and may or not be the best suited but he was very much part of this takeover. Some noticed how he said he spoke to the group a month ago when he was interviewed the other day. He knew who they were and they are impressed with him and so we have to give him a chance to prove himself. He has some difficult decisions coming up.

+1

I fear he will be royally slagged off but he has acted with dignity and probably worked hard behind the scenes.

Also it has to be said he is the only one ready to move quickly and one would hope he has already identified targets etc.

I think we need continuity, and Wotte has been incredibly professional and dignified throughout this whole saga.

A chance to prove himself in happier circumstances has been well earned, in my view.

He has to prove himself on the pitch, which he has yet to do. So we shall see by the looks of it. I wish him well... well I wish him to do better.

+1.

Its time we all united as one & got behind everyone at the club from the owner to the manager. He atleast deserves a chance for the way he has conducted himself throughout this whole sorry but ultimatley successful saga.

I think we need continuity, and Wotte has been incredibly professional and dignified throughout this whole saga.

A chance to prove himself in happier circumstances has been well earned, in my view.

With a few new players I would expect him to get the team playing well

Continuity after only 6 months? Surely it makes little difference. I want a manager for 6 years, if Wotte can show he can prove he's good enough on the pitch I will support him for 6 years or more. But, so far he errrr... hasnt. I suppose it goes down as a shaky start, relegation?

Still, better luck this time Wotte. Go for it! Prove to us all you are better than the evidence suggests!

Wotte staying (as manager or head coach) would be disappointing, as we have such a great opportunity now to get a proven and high profile manager.

But that disappointment is insignificant next to the huge relieve that comes with knowing that our club has been saved.

+1.

Its time we all united as one & got behind everyone at the club from the owner to the manager. He atleast deserves a chance for the way he has conducted himself throughout this whole sorry but ultimatley successful saga.

Perhaps he deserves to be Director of Football? Honestly if people think he has performed well off the pitch could that be the role for him?

But, he HAS failed on the pitch... so far. Relegated 70% of the teams he has managed.

Calls for unity behind Wotte will last until he loses his first game in charge sadly.

Now Director of Football... if we must keep him... that has some potential.

BUT PLEASE - get a manger who we ALL can unite behind.

Edited by SaintRobbie

Give the guy a break. He will rise or fall by his actions this season, as it will be him that takes full responsibility from the start. He won't be taking over from a clown half way through this season. I will back what ever Marcus decides, after all it's his dosh that will save us. COME ON YOU SAINTS

Thoughts ??

Thank goodness that's over, or should I say ..just beginning.

My only real question is ;

WHO does our new owner take his advice from?

I'm assuming he didn't know of Saints before April and hasn't been a life-long fan (as I am )..and so which " football " people does he take HIS advice from in the planning of our future ?

We all recall the fateful takeover in 1996 and how RL stamped his authority in a sport he wasn't familiar with...namely FOOTBALL. I'd like to know who his behind-the-scenes advisers in the UK are....and how he will handle the club's traditions?

I'm not being negative - but for my part I'd hate to think that names like McMenemy and Le Tissier will only appear in the club's history books and that they can't have some sort of higher profile as ambassadors (or the like) as they are the people we associate most with our clubs history.

However WELCOME to our new owner! COYR !!!!!!!!

Thank goodness that's over, or should I say ..just beginning.

My only real question is ;

WHO does our new owner take his advice from?

I'm assuming he didn't know of Saints before April and hasn't been a life-long fan (as I am )..and so which " football " people does he take HIS advice from?

We all recall the fateful takeover in 1996 and how RL stamped his authority in a sport he wasn't familiar with...namely FOOTBALL. I'd like to know who his

behind-the-scenes advisers in the UK are....and how he will handle the club's traditions?

I'm not being negative - but for my part I'd hate to think that names like McMenemy and Le Tissier will only appear in the club's history books

and that they can't have some sort of higher profile as ambassadors (or the like) as they are the people we associate most with our clubs history.

However WELCOME to our new owner! COYR !!!!!!!!

Does not need to get anybody with Saints knowledge just competant people in all areas as he suggests.

What traditions have we got except losing more games than we win

I agree that Wotte has acted with dignity over the last 3 months....but how else did people expect anyone in his position to act?

We have a wonderful opportunity to start afresh and we shouldn't let emotions get in the way of getting the best manager available in to do the job.

I just can't rationalise that, no matter how dignified he's been, Wotte is the best option going forward.

As I say, we have a wonderful opportunity. Let's not waste it by playing the sentimental card.

(to answer the inevitable next question....yes, I will support the club and Wotte if the new owner keeps him.)

I agree that Wotte has acted with dignity over the last 3 months....but how else did people expect anyone in his position to act?

We have a wonderful opportunity to start afresh and we shouldn't let emotions get in the way of getting the best manager available in to do the job.

I just can't rationalise that, no matter how dignified he's been, Wotte is the best option going forward.

As I say, we have a wonderful opportunity. Let's not waste it by playing the sentimental card.

(to answer the inevitable next question....yes, I will support the club and Wotte if the new owner keeps him.)

Well said

+1..

So where would you like us to be in January then

It takes time to build a team patience is key

Another three managers this season would be a joke

Indeed. We need to get the manager decision right from 'day 1'...Wotte doesn't need any 'chances'...he's been in the game long enough for the new owner to be able to judge his competency levels against that of other possible candidates.

Poll? Or are the mods a little nervous? ;)

Should Wotte Stay as Manager?

A. Yes - he deserves a chance.

B. No - he relegated us and its time to get someone else to make this a truly fresh start.

C. No - but he should be given a job at Saints like DoF or Academy Director to retain his knowledge of the current playing squad.

D. Dont know.

Edited by SaintRobbie

My view is simple. Is Wotte a good manager? Is he the best manager we can get? Is he a guy who will choose players to sign wisely? The clear answer is no. He has yet to get a team promoted anywhere in the proffesional game.

I fail to get how he has handled himself as well as people say, where else was he going to go? How many times did he mention other jobs he was offered in the news?

The guy was hear from the start of last season, he knew the players. He was manager for half the season and finished further from safety then what Jan left us.

The performances overall were pretty dredful, the Weds game will go down as one of the worst i have seen, at such a pivitol time in the season it was hard to stomach.

Wotte had his chance and failed, i did not see anything from his tenure to make me believe he has the ability to get this team promoted. I do not think the players respect him in a way thay would another manager etc.

He is a poor manager and his record shows it. His offers were from the Egyption league, hardly a good level of football, League one is probably x10 higher level then that.

The club needs a FRESH new start, no sentiments no gimmicks, we need to be realistic. If the club is to go forwards and go forwards right now then it needs to employ a manager with proven qualities in english football. It needs to employ the best manager it can and anyone who thinks Wotte is that man must be on something.

You know what will happen, he will get some money to spend and buy players he thinks are "world class". Then about 12-15 games into the season while were still bottom people will begin to get angry and do the whole "i told you so" **** that we have seen so much recently.

HOWEVER

If he is kept on and is given the ability to manage then we must get behind him regardless of our views. We owe it to the new owner.

Wise words my friend. Wise words.

HOWEVER

If he is kept on and is given the ability to manage then we must get behind him regardless of our views. We owe it to the new owner.

I fully agree with you St Marco, including the line above. But, the reality is within a couple of weeks of yet more Wotte inspired performances and the odd defeat he'll be slaughtered by the majority of fans.

That is the reality. Sentiment is right. But this time realism rules before idealism.

Indeed. We need to get the manager decision right from 'day 1'...Wotte doesn't need any 'chances'...he's been in the game long enough for the new owner to be able to judge his competency levels against that of other possible candidates.

I believe Wotte deserves his chance, but even if he didn't it I'm sure Markus isn't foolish enough to rush a new appointment without proper information and advice. If I had just taken over a club in Switzerland I wouldnt change the manager until I had a full bank of knowledge and a professional team guiding me. Wotte will stay as manager in the interim - and in the meantime has the chance, based on performance, to make the 'keep or change' decision an easy one.

Edited by buctootim

Definitely give Wotte a chance for next season - partly because it's going to be hard to attract a people to a third division side on -10 and that goes for players as well as managers.

The task for next season is to stay up and build for the future. Whether that future includes Wotte I'd say we'll know by Christmas.

I believe Wotte deserves his chance, but even if he didn't it I'm sure Markus isn't foolish enough to rush a new appointment without proper information and advice. If I had just taken over a club in Switzerland I wouldnt change the manager until I had a full bank of knowledge and a professional team guiding me. Wotte will stay as manager in the interim - and in the meantime has the chance, based on performance, to make the 'keep or change' decision an easy one.

I think you may be right there Tim.

Wotte has handled himself well over the last few weeks, but IMO he is a poor manager during the 90mins of football. Too many poor tactically decisions ;

- The diamond system with McG playing as a 3rd forward when we are being overrun in midfield;

- Playing a left footer (e.g. Smith) on the right wing and BWP (all right foot) on left wing means they are always cutting back into the oppo midfield.

- No organisation at defensive set plays, I still do do know whether we man mark or use zone marking (remember the 1st 30mins at Wolves). The players don't seem to know what they are suppose to do.

- No preparation before games as to which oppo players to watch, which to double up on etc, he just lets to players find out for themselves.

- His tactics for getting the ball from back to front usually involved a "route-one" hoof, even when the oppo midfield aren't pressing the ball.

I could go on for hours about his poor tactics and generally poor reading of a game. He may be a good manager Monday to Friday but for me he makes too many mistakes during games.

p.s. For info - For the people who control the Saints Trust site I think it has been hacked by somebody.

i dont think wotte will be here for the long haul

the statement said they want to get the right management in place at all levels..

no doubt the sensible for th markus to do was give wotte a 12 month contract for continuity sake...get the board room sorted and get adivce on who is the best longer term appointment..

that is how i read it anyway

He has earned the opportunity by his very professional behavior this summer, standing by the club and going about his business, reassuring the players, and so on.

It is very important in football to have reasonable stability and continuity in management and in the team, and to make your changes wisely and after careful evaluation and consideration. Time will tell if Wotte is really up to the job; if he shows that he isn't up to it by the results on the pitch, the new owner will by then have had time to weigh options and make a new appointment, rather than acting in a rush right now.

i dont think wotte will be here for the long haul

the statement said they want to get the right management in place at all levels..

no doubt the sensible for th markus to do was give wotte a 12 month contract for continuity sake...get the board room sorted and get adivce on who is the best longer term appointment..

that is how i read it anyway

Again, I think you could be on to something there. I'm interested as to whether people think he can attract decent players in to the club to rescue us from relegation to League 2 this season RIGHT NOW WHEN THEY ARE NEEDED? At the moment the squad looks like the failed Youth programme continued.

He has earned the opportunity by his very professional behavior this summer, standing by the club and going about his business, reassuring the players, and so on.

It is very important in football to have reasonable stability and continuity in management and in the team, and to make your changes wisely and after careful evaluation and consideration. Time will tell if Wotte is really up to the job; if he shows that he isn't up to it by the results on the pitch, the new owner will by then have had time to weigh options and make a new appointment, rather than acting in a rush right now.

Remind me, how long has Wotte been in professional football management now?

My fear is that a sentimental feel good factor is in danger of clouding people's judgement on Wotte's career.

Anyway, one has made one's point and one trusts the new management to make the right decision.