Skates

SET

This article is simply not true, the Premier League themselves confirm this stupid FAPP test wasn't a problem: http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1728687,00.html

Reading both articles, it seems to indicate that Fahim might be deemed fit to be chairman in his own right, but that the FA are not satisfied that he is OK to be the owner of the club until they have investigated whether any of his finance comes from others who might not be deemed to be fit and proper persons. Fair comment?

It's all very strange, and I'm sure any sensible Pompey fan would be wanting answers to some difficult questions.

It seems that Sulaiman al-Fahim has enough personal wealth to finance the takeover, and pay off the debt, but that after he's paid for all that it sounds like he will be running out of cash. Al-Fahim was probably always a middle-man of some description. Would the Guardian have put their neck out and suggested that Thaksin Shinawatra could be involved, rather than just saying 'someone' if they didn't have evidence?

Obviously Shinawatra has plenty of money, but would be unable to pass the fit & proper person test (I guess due to vote rigging*). Perhaps this is an attempt to get him in via a different route? (Apparently he's got some form of surprise up his sleeve for his birthday on Sunday http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/149887/no-one-knows-about-big-surprise-of-thaksin ).

It all sounds to me a bit like the Premier League have approved al-Fahim, but are watchin the situation closely to see if he gets money from elsewhere...

This would all help to explain reappointing Hart... At first when you think you can get the money in, you are talking about Manchini et al. But once you realise the PL are scrutinising your finances, you realise you can't take over the club if any dodgy cash is handed over. However the new Chairman would be forced to make some form of appointment, simply to keep the team fit (and to prevent total chaos in Paulsgrove). So al-Fahim goes for a stop-gap appointment. If the minimum term Hart will agree to is 2 years you have to go with that; but al-Fahim is probably hoping the PL pay less attention in coming months and don't ask questions when millions start appearing in Pompey's bank account...

Can anybody else make more sense of the strange noises coming from Fratton?

Just something else of possible interest:

http://www.eufootball.biz/Clubs/7350-premier_league_blocks_portsmouth_takeover.html

*vote rigging alleged of course! Heard from a mate in Thailand, that what he acually was doing was paying people to vote, but 'not specifying who for'... as the majortiy of his support are based in the countryside, but rarely vote, his pay to vote scheme caused the countryside turnout to massively increase, hense he was elected.

This article is simply not true, the Premier League themselves confirm this stupid FAPP test wasn't a problem: http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1728687,00.html

My reading of this is that although they are happy that Dr Al has passed the test they are essentially issuing a warnnig that should the proposed beneficial ownership change they will re-do the test on any new investors.

This follwos on from Dr Al initially acting as a broker, but after the FAPP was initiated changing his mind and claiming that despite what was said previously he was buying with his own money and no investment from any 3rd parties.

The premier league is just covering off the laughably feeble attempt to get around the FAPP test by adding non-FAPP investors after the purchase has gone through.

My reading of this is that although they are happy that Dr Al has passed the test they are essentially issuing a warnnig that should the proposed beneficial ownership change they will re-do the test on any new investors.

This follwos on from Dr Al initially acting as a broker, but after the FAPP was initiated changing his mind and claiming that despite what was said previously he was buying with his own money and no investment from any 3rd parties.

The premier league is just covering off the laughably feeble attempt to get around the FAPP test by adding non-FAPP investors after the purchase has gone through.[/quote

from wikipedia...

[edit] Controversy

While Fahim often uses the honorific "Doctor" before his name, the legitimacy of this title has been questioned. Fahim claims to have acquired a Ph.D. in real estate investment from the Kogod School of Business at American University in Washington.[4] However, the school has no such program and records there do not indicate Fahim acquired any degrees other than his MBA.[23]

My take for what it's worth is that it's probably too early to draw many conclusions. The oddest thing is Gaydamak continuing on the board which suggests he hasn't been paid in full and that maybe Crouch has to be sold in order for that to happen. This in turn would suggest Al Fahim has cash flow problems at least to some degree. We may not know until next year how much money he's going to put into the club. FA are just covering themselves, there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary. There may of course be other secret investors but who knows. On the one hand it doesn't look at present as if we are mega rich on the other the only viable way of making money out of the club is to develop it and build a new ground, that surely has to be his intention. Watch this space.

My take for what it's worth is that it's probably too early to draw many conclusions. The oddest thing is Gaydamak continuing on the board which suggests he hasn't been paid in full and that maybe Crouch has to be sold in order for that to happen. This in turn would suggest Al Fahim has cash flow problems at least to some degree. We may not know until next year how much money he's going to put into the club. FA are just covering themselves, there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary. There may of course be other secret investors but who knows. On the one hand it doesn't look at present as if we are mega rich on the other the only viable way of making money out of the club is to develop it and build a new ground, that surely has to be his intention. Watch this space.

As you say, too early to draw conclusions, but there are several similarities to scenarios that we have suffered ourselves from prospective investors/owners. We had the Paul Allen - we are super rich dream. Also the numerous tyre kickers and Walter Mittys who gather around these takeovers.

Seemingly, you started with the Paul Allen and evolved into the tyre-kicker realm almost with the same person, this so called Dr. Fahim.

Conjecture that he had consortium backing of many wealthy individuals has given way to it being only him. Now, it could be that those backers might not have passed the right and proper people criteria set by the FA. Since then and more recently it appears that Fahim is not as wealthy in his own right as some thought and that people who had underwritten some of his wealth and influence in the Middle East are now distancing themselves from him. On the one hand top players are being sold at an alarming rate and on the other hand the stopgap mediocre manager is kept on instead on the top flight big name manager who was touted. Fahim announces that he will bring in Maradona, who will himself be key to getting in some top name players. On the one hand signals are being transmitted that belts need to be tightened to pay of massive debts and on the other hand presumably Maradona and his players will not come cheap either.

Barrow boy chancers like Redcrapp can smell a rat a mile away and all of a sudden is making noises that perhaps he isn't interested in Crouch after all, as he is too expensive. This will signal others getting the message too and sensing that if the financial situation at Pompey is becoming critical and that the new owner is not as wealthy as he would like people to believe, then the vultures will begin circling as they did over Southampton.

We've had all that heartache and anxiety these past few months and thank God it is all resolved by a solution beyond our wildest dreams. Down the road, I suspect that the euphoria of a couple of months ago has been replaced with a nervous feeling that they are stood over a trapdoor.

We've had all that heartache and anxiety these past few months and thank God it is all resolved by a solution beyond our wildest dreams. Down the road, I suspect that the euphoria of a couple of months ago has been replaced with a nervous feeling that they are stood over a trapdoor.

Not really. All the time we're a Premier league club, with Sky money rolling in, someone will come in and buy us. We just need to make sure we don't fall out of the top flight that's all, because then we would be in trouble.

As for your solution beyond your wildest dreams, it's no good saying you're the fourth richest club in the UK, because you plainly are not as in it's your OWNER who might be worth x number of millions. If he doesn't feel inclined to spend any of it (and so far it doesn't look like he is) where does that leave you? Scrabbling around the bargain basement bins trying to put a team together.

If Pardew can do that and turn you into a promotion winning team he's a genius. I don't think he is a genius, but the jury is still out on that one I suppose......

Not really. All the time we're a Premier league club, with Sky money rolling in, someone will come in and buy us. We just need to make sure we don't fall out of the top flight that's all, because then we would be in trouble.

As for your solution beyond your wildest dreams, it's no good saying you're the fourth richest club in the UK, because you plainly are not as in it's your OWNER who might be worth x number of billions. If he doesn't feel inclined to spend any of it (and so far it doesn't look like he is) where does that leave you? Scrabbling around the bargain basement bins trying to put a team together.

If Pardew can do that and turn you into a promotion winning team he's a genius. I don't think he is a genius, but the jury is still out on that one I suppose......

Where has he said he wont spend any?

Infact he was quoted as saying there is a budget but they wont reveal to others the amount plus

Pardew has said there are good frees available that hes looking at AND feelers have been put out to other clubs about players he wants to find out costs etc PLUS

hes looking at loans

Hardly sounds like we are rooting through the bins yet does it?

Where has he said he wont spend any?

Infact he was quoted as saying there is a budget but they wont reveal to others the amount plus

Pardew has said there are good frees available that hes looking at AND feelers have been put out to other clubs about players he wants to find out costs etc PLUS

hes looking at loans

Hardly sounds like we are rooting through the bins yet does it?

Hmmm, maybe, but if you've got money to burn, which of course you must have as the fourth richest club in the country, why bother with freebies? You're absolutely loaded!

Go on, **** it, splash the cash, make the football world sit up and take notice!!

As for your solution beyond your wildest dreams, it's no good saying you're the fourth richest club in the UK, because you plainly are not as in it's your OWNER who might be worth x number of millions. If he doesn't feel inclined to spend any of it (and so far it doesn't look like he is) where does that leave you? Scrabbling around the bargain basement bins trying to put a team together.

I'll put it in a nutshell.

We are where we are and virtually everybody is very happy with our future prospects, being debt free, good stadium, wealthy owner and a manager with a record of success in gaining promotions from both this division and the fizzy pop. If you believe that Markus Liebherr bought us for us to scrabble around in the basement of English football, then you are deluded.

Where do you disagree with my summary of your position? It looked really good three months ago, but of late it is beginning to look a bit precarious. You have an owner of unquantifiable wealth, your previous owner still on the board, high debt levels, a crappy old stadium and no concrete plans for a new one. Even if we fail to gain promotion this year with the -10, the following year looks realistic. On the other hand, I suspect that there is growing unease along the road as to whether you can stay up this coming season or not. As you say, if you are relegated, you will be in real trouble.

I am not sure it is that simple - your last set of accounts for Portsmouth City Football and the group company Miland Development 2004 Ltd show companies with a combined net worth of negative £179 million - the current financial liabilities that these 2 companies have make the Sky money a drop in the ocean. Incidentally, both these accounts are for year ending March 2008, I should imagine things have got worse in the past 12 months or so. My personal opinion is that Portsmouth are on the brink.

Go on, **** it, splash the cash, make the football world sit up and take notice!!

probably because we're in division 3 and no one would come here. What the club needs, and what i hope they do, is to build a decent side that aren't all bought in. To settle the infrastructure down and (if needs be) spend a season consolidating before pushing forward.

a five to eight year plan to get us back to top level football would be far more sensible than throwing money at the problem and potentially ending up riddled with debt and relying on a "wealthy" arab to bail us out.

Just a thought.

I'll put it in a nutshell.

We are where we are and virtually everybody is very happy with our future prospects, being debt free, good stadium, wealthy owner and a manager with a record of success in gaining promotions from both this division and the fizzy pop. If you believe that Markus Liebherr bought us for us to scrabble around in the basement of English football, then you are deluded.

Where do you disagree with my summary of your position? It looked really good three months ago, but of late it is beginning to look a bit precarious. You have an owner of unquantifiable wealth, your previous owner still on the board, high debt levels, a crappy old stadium and no concrete plans for a new one. Even if we fail to gain promotion this year with the -10, the following year looks realistic. On the other hand, I suspect that there is growing unease along the road as to whether you can stay up this coming season or not. As you say, if you are relegated, you will be in real trouble.

Yeah, maybe. I can see where you're coming from re PFC but I just don't see us having any medium to long term problems as long as we stay up. For us that has to be the short term goal.

I suspect that we won't really know our true respective prospects until the day after the transfer deadline. By then we'll see if either of us has got any cash/ambition.....?

I am not sure it is that simple - your last set of accounts for Portsmouth City Football and the group company Miland Development 2004 Ltd show companies with a combined net worth of negative £179 million - the current financial liabilities that these 2 companies have make the Sky money a drop in the ocean. Incidentally, both these accounts are for year ending March 2008, I should imagine things have got worse in the past 12 months or so. My personal opinion is that Portsmouth are on the brink.

Well you WOULD like to think that, wouldn't you? We'll see......

Hmmm, maybe, but if you've got money to burn, which of course you must have as the fourth richest club in the country, why bother with freebies? You're absolutely loaded!

The new owner will not splash cash willy-nilly. He did not get rich that way. He's expecting Saints to earn his investment by endeavour, honest hard work, and with the help of a few staged signings. It will take time, but SFC will get there through good footballing principles - eventually.

Well you WOULD like to think that, wouldn't you? We'll see......

Of course! But the accounts don't lie.....the offshore company in the Virgin Islands that is the ultimate parent company is also an interesting feature.

I just can't see why you'd be a good investment - massive debts, the need to fund a new stadium, no likelihood of increasing turnover in the near future. Your rise to and existence in the top flight if football has been built on foundations of sand and potentially will/has put the very existence of your football club in jeopardy - has it been worth it? I am afraid that unless someone with serious money comes to your rescue, or the Dr has in fact got some £££'s then the future is looking very bleak for you.

probably because we're in division 3 and no one would come here.

If you pay the wages, they'll come. We did that off the back of Crouchies' five million from Villa. That was the crucial change of tactic that Redknapp managed to talk Mandaric into. We signed some top banana players (at Championship level) for sweet F.A. but paid them top dollar.

Your problem appears to be that you're applying the same tactic but not offering the wages. Pay them the money...

a five to eight year plan to get us back to top level football would be far more sensible than throwing money at the problem and potentially ending up riddled with debt and relying on a "wealthy" arab to bail us out.

Just a thought.

But if my above assertion is correct (and it is early days to be fair) you won't get there in 5,8 or even 10 years! Your academy is largely bankrupt of talent on last seasons evidence, and if you're not paying top wages, where are the players coming from?

You might well consolidate this season, but on the evidence so far, you don't stand an earthly of doing any more than that........

The new owner will not splash cash willy-nilly. He did not get rich that way. He's expecting Saints to earn his investment by endeavour, honest hard work, and with the help of a few staged signings. It will take time, but SFC will get there through good footballing principles - eventually.

Fair enough, but with Pardew? nope, sorry can't see it. Doesn't have the galvanising personality to be able to turn sows ears into silk purses. A nice guy by all accounts, knows the game very well and wants it played the right way, but not a miracle worker.....

Fair enough, but with Pardew? nope, sorry can't see it. Doesn't have the galvanising personality to be able to turn sows ears into silk purses. A nice guy by all accounts, knows the game very well and wants it played the right way, but not a miracle worker.....

I'd take Pardew over Hart any day!!

I just can't see why you'd be a good investment - massive debts, the need to fund a new stadium, no likelihood of increasing turnover in the near future.

Well, there must be some reason? For a provincial club we do have a pretty attractive history- Four major trophies, the navy connection, a city that's improved so much over the last 10 years. A pretty passionate fanbase that makes a hell of a racket, even characters like Westwood all add a bit of colour to the place. Yeah, it's a good club in many ways....

Your rise to and existence in the top flight if football has been built on foundations of sand and potentially will/has put the very existence of your football club in jeopardy - has it been worth it?

Yep, every minute has been a gas. I posted yesterday that we've had more fun in the last 7 years than you've had in the last 30. Three trophies- Championship, Asia cup (ok, not a massive deal) and another F.A. cup. Played in the UEFA cup (as cup winners, not by default), seen some truly brilliant players come and go- Diarra was genuinely worth the admission money alone.

IF it goes tits up tomorrow we'll be gutted, of course we will, but we'll look back with a lot of pride and satisfaction at actually getting good value for money for a good few years after seeing 40 years of poo.....

Think you have the wrong man. Our owner is worth billions not millions. I think you've missed some noughts somewhere.

Now please tell us how much your new owner is worth?

We will wave as you pass us by on your way down whilst we take our rightful place in the Premier league as the South Coasts number 1 club.

Think you have the wrong man. Our owner is worth billions not millions. I think you've missed some noughts somewhere.

Now please tell us how much your new owner is worth?

We will wave as you pass us by on your way down whilst we take our rightful place in the Premier league as the South Coasts number 1 club.

The thing that would worry me if I was a skate would be that he (regardless of how rich he is or isn't) is still not the owner. The deal has still not gone through.

Not becuase I would be worry that it might not complete but becuase the way that everything is being done just doesn't feel right. There is more to it than meets the eye, I suspect not a good thing for our fishy friends.

I'd best shut up now though as I'm beging to sound like a broken record....:-#

Well, there must be some reason? For a provincial club we do have a pretty attractive history- Four major trophies, the navy connection, a city that's improved so much over the last 10 years. A pretty passionate fanbase that makes a hell of a racket, even characters like Westwood all add a bit of colour to the place. Yeah, it's a good club in many ways....

Yep, every minute has been a gas. I posted yesterday that we've had more fun in the last 7 years than you've had in the last 30. Three trophies- Championship, Asia cup (ok, not a massive deal) and another F.A. cup. Played in the UEFA cup (as cup winners, not by default), seen some truly brilliant players come and go- Diarra was genuinely worth the admission money alone.

IF it goes tits up tomorrow we'll be gutted, of course we will, but we'll look back with a lot of pride and satisfaction at actually getting good value for money for a good few years after seeing 40 years of poo.....

In the cold light of day, if you really did go under I don't believe for a minute you really would think it had been worth it.

The thing that would worry me if I was a skate would be that he (regardless of how rich he is or isn't) is still not the owner. The deal has still not gone through.

Not becuase I would be worry that it might not complete but becuase the way that everything is being done just doesn't feel right. There is more to it than meets the eye, I suspect not a good thing for our fishy friends.

I'd best shut up now though as I'm beging to sound like a broken record....:-#

When crouch leaves the Skates will have no decent players left and it is already too late to gell a team together in the Prem. See you in The Championship on your way down!

I posted yesterday that we've had more fun in the last 7 years than you've had in the last 30. Three trophies .... Asia cup

LMFAO

The Asia cup!!!! Wow!!!!

I am so envious of any club that wins the ...... ASIA CUP!!!

Pardew's track record in the lower divisions isn't at all bad. He worked miracles at Reading when they were close to being down and out

He was promoted to manager of Reading after a successful spell as caretaker in 1999. He turned the club around from Division 2 relegation strugglers to promotion candidates. His régime increased the fitness of the squad and he reached the Play-Off final in 2001, and automatic promotion to League 1. In his first season he finished 4th.

He took West Ham to Premiership promotion in 2005 and the Cup Final in 2006. True he wasn't so successful with Charlton, but they were losing key players due to financial troubles just like Saints were.

What we now need and have is a manager with successful experience in the lower leagues. He'll do.

ML is a billionaire for a reason, he is an astute businessman.

Any muppet with money can throw it at a one trick pony for a couple of years in the hope that it will achieve something.

It takes a bit of business accumen to structure a successful company, especially where the initial returns on your investment are going to be low or non exisitent.

You cannot buy long term success as a football club, better clubs than pimpey have tried and failed, ask Blackburn, Newcastle etc....

We know that it is going to be a long haul, the difference between you and us is that we have an owner who we have confindence in and know that WHEN we get back to the top flight it will be as a long term, sustainable football club and not a rich mans play thing.

if you are that great why do you still not have very many supporters?

The link to the extra day of general sale for your fa cup tickets was going around nationally with fans all laughing at the club without supporters.

Will be very embarrassing if our third division attendances beat your premiership ones!

Little club, had bit of money thrown at it for a couple of years and did ok (not that great for the wage bill). Better team than us for last few years without a doubt.

Would be astounded if you are above us in 4 years time.

if you are that great why do you still not have very many supporters?

Because we're in exactly the same scenario that you had at The Dell. You only had a capacity of 15k yet you rarely sold that out. You can't judge it properly until we're in new stadium.

The link to the extra day of general sale for your fa cup tickets was going around nationally with fans all laughing at the club without supporters.

What link? Show me a bona fide press report that shows we were struggling to sell F.A. cup tickets. We could have sold those allocations out twice over....

Will be very embarrassing if our third division attendances beat your premiership ones!

Yes in exactly the same way our FOURTH division attendances outsold yours!

Little club, had bit of money thrown at it for a couple of years and did ok (not that great for the wage bill). Better team than us for last few years without a doubt.

Ok, ask anyone actually IN football which is the bigger club- you won't like the answer....

Would be astounded if you are above us in 4 years time.

I wouldn't....

In the cold light of day, if you really did go under I don't believe for a minute you really would think it had been worth it.

But we won't. Even if we ended up Blue Square division 9 we'll still have a club in some form.....

What is our debt at the moment?

Some skate on another forum seems to think we still have massive amounts of debt but I am sure that it was cleared once the takeover was complete?

We don't owe anything to anyone. Liebherr purchased the assets of Southampton Leisure Holdings (the club, stadium, training ground etc), the money for which was accepted by the creditors as settlement for the outstanding debt.

But we won't. Even if we ended up Blue Square division 9 we'll still have a club in some form.....

That is the way to think about it.You are a fan not a plastic , but the majority will desert you, Im not under any illusion that if we were in the Blue square a lot would us as well.

The best thing for all this is that I notice a lot more humble posts and not such giving it the big one. No transfer gossip today I notice.

uh! tickets for your very important third round tie defending the fa cup, 13k is a poor gate, which includes opposition fans, i s'pose it was plastics day off.

please be honest and don't bull shlt, admit things aren't right.

League one- you can achieve promotion fairly easily without having to spend much.

Premiership- you better get the chequebook out if you want to survive up there.

Perhaps the other teams in Div 1 have the same strategy to get promoted

Because we're in exactly the same scenario that you had at The Dell. You only had a capacity of 15k yet you rarely sold that out. You can't judge it properly until we're in new stadium.

What link? Show me a bona fide press report that shows we were struggling to sell F.A. cup tickets. We could have sold those allocations out twice over....

Ok, ask anyone actually IN football which is the bigger club- you won't like the answer....

I wouldn't....

lol - don't think you even convince yourself!

Lets see how many you get after a few poor games - you won't even fill your little clubhouse.

Fact - Saints used to be sold out every home match in the final years at The Dell

no we sold out the Dell and needed the new ground - you are showing that you don't need one (maybe worth doing what we did last season and shutting parts of yours this season!

I got it sent by a Cardiff fans and had good laugh- do remember solent going over to talk to someone who had to queue up at 0700 on day of general sale to make sure that got one, quite pitiful really

remember wearing a T-shirt on african tour years ago which had southampton written on it - not football one, and bloke shouted out -ahh Kevin Keegan, guess you have the same with Alan Biley.

I wouldn't....

I know skates rely on memories of some very old people to justify that they were once a big club, but no-one outside Portsmouth thinks that at all.

Hardly been in top flight, don't think you have broken into top half have you?

Very very poorly supported.

Cup win - which is big success and must have been great day - but not one that stuck with neutrals.

My guess would be with neutrals across the country you would struggle to be rated in top 40 teams of recent years.

Nothing wrong with that - I accept we are doing crap recently, you should be able to accept the team you support is not particularly big but just enjoy it for what it is.

Just look a bit silly with this we would be a big club its just.....

QUOTE=SW5 SAINT;393100

Fact - Saints used to be sold out every home match in the final years at The Dell

Yes, we did. If the stadium was not sold to capacity, it was only because the away team didn't fill its allocation. We always sold ours, the bulk of it with STs.