Skates

SET

I see its bye bye to the Fratton End as its renamed the Jobsite Stand after their nerw shirt sponsers, The cost of a junior season ticket is more than the most expensive ticket at St Mary's, well no wonder thier cravan park is not full is it !!

But we won't. Even if we ended up Blue Square division 9 we'll still have a club in some form.....

Thats easy to say, and 2 months ago I would have said the same, but a few weeks ago, when we were that close to going out of exsitence, I felt like my heart was about to be removed. I might have got a new smaller one, but it would not have been mine and I would never have looked at it as mine. Triggers Broom mate. Cannot tell you how awful that was. I honestly hope you don't have to go through that, but I fear you may!

Because we're in exactly the same scenario that you had at The Dell. You only had a capacity of 15k yet you rarely sold that out. You can't judge it properly until we're in new stadium.

What link? Show me a bona fide press report that shows we were struggling to sell F.A. cup tickets. We could have sold those allocations out twice over....

Yes in exactly the same way our FOURTH division attendances outsold yours!

Ok, ask anyone actually IN football which is the bigger club- you won't like the answer....

I wouldn't....

Some blatant rubbish in there - I remember when we were at the Dell the joke was which two grounds are always sold out - Old Trafford and the Dell. It was virtually a sell out with season tickets alone, only the away fans varied week on week. Also, unlike yourselves, we have never been in the fourth division.

And I think you'll find anyone under the age of eighty and over twelve would still consider us the bigger club

That chart is pretty interesting actually it shows that the blue few have only ever had an average attendance about 20,000 once since the 1950's. Wonder how that would match up compared to ours?

Yes but if they had a bigger stadium they would have been getting at least 35k average because they are so massively supported. Thats why they now have their 45k seater stadium..............ooops spot the mistake(s).

In the last fifty years (ie since 1959) an average of 5248 more people per game have watched Southampton than Poopey. It's so difficult to decide which is the bigger club....

Something that always gets brought up by a couple of skates on another forum is:

Who has the highest attendance? (They seem to forget that The Dell could only hold 30k and St Marys only holds 32k)

Who has the highest overall attendance? (They seem to forget that Fratton Park was always bigger than The Dell)

Not really. All the time we're a Premier league club, with Sky money rolling in, someone will come in and buy us. We just need to make sure we don't fall out of the top flight that's all, because then we would be in trouble.

A sniff of the coffee will tell you that this is far more likely this year than it was last. You know it.

It's as though you're treading the same ground as us, but about three to five years behind.

The big difference that will work against you (in the short and long term) is the drastically declining appetite in the financial community for loaning new ground or ground improvement funds. Our administration didn't help you at all on that front. Far from it.

So the only way of boosting turnover (a bigger ground) might well be beyond your reach for the foreseeable future, which would mean that your prospects for surviving after relegation from the Prem would be dimmer than ours. It could get really ugly really quickly.

Here's a good bet.

Most firms are offering c 4/1 on Pompey being relegated. Apparently they were 6/1 but for some reason their odds are shortening!!

But you can get 10/1 on Pompey being bottom at Christmas with Bet 365. I reckon thats a cracker!!!! .

In the last fifty years (ie since 1959) an average of 5248 more people per game have watched Southampton than Poopey. It's so difficult to decide which is the bigger club....

But your whole argument falls apart yet again when you are selective. "In the last fifty years" is meaningless as you were above us for 40 of those 50. Try the same stat since records began, i.e. the WHOLE story. Different story then, not by much, but a different story. Hence it's never quoted, surprise surprise......

But your whole argument falls apart yet again when you are selective. "In the last fifty years" is meaningless as you were above us for 40 of those 50. Try the same stat since records began, i.e. the WHOLE story. Different story then, not by much, but a different story. Hence it's never quoted, surprise surprise......

You have looked at the chart, how are you even still argueing ???

Moron

A sniff of the coffee will tell you that this is far more likely this year than it was last. You know it.

It's as though you're treading the same ground as us, but about three to five years behind.

The big difference that will work against you (in the short and long term) is the drastically declining appetite in the financial community for loaning new ground or ground improvement funds. Our administration didn't help you at all on that front. Far from it.

So the only way of boosting turnover (a bigger ground) might well be beyond your reach for the foreseeable future, which would mean that your prospects for surviving after relegation from the Prem would be dimmer than ours. It could get really ugly really quickly.

Those Blue Meanies of long standing know about the fall from grace and favour and how quickly it can come about. While I'd gladly accept Saints gaining all the bragging rights I'd not want our county cousins out of existence. Otherwise who could we annoy by smiling smugly and knowingly (while all the time being well aware that what goes around might well come around!).

If they fall far enough I wonder if all the newly found plastics in Eastleigh will have a collective, ceremonial burning of the blue and gold shirts before assuring us that "I always was a Chelsea/Manc/Liverpool fan!"

Finnan and Viduka coming in! :D

Indeed, a truly terrifying prospect for their premier league opponents.

Has Eugen Bopp signed yet too?

Also, Belhadj and Utaka on their way. So that will leave Kanu and Nugent up front? Wow

Thanks for pointing that out - I really hadn't noticed..........;) good to see you have tho'.

Pre war figures are estimated, thats where your argument falls down.

I was born in 1949. Do you really suggest that I look at a period before I was born, in the middle if the last century, to establish whether Pompey or Saints were the better team historically?

Your arguments really are based on the thinnest straw-cluching.

:rolleyes:

I am prepared to accept that once, long before almost any of us were born, Pompey may have been a bigger club. But then so were Accrington Stanley if you go back far enough and even the Old Carthusians and Corinthians. I think your words - "In the last fifty years" is meaningless as you were above us for 40 of those 50 - has proved we are a bigger club than you. (It's like saying Britain is the most powerful country in the world because 100 yeears ago we had an empire)

Certainly our support has remained truer through good times and bad, and I think as your little flirtation with the big time draws iminently to a close the football world will look at your Prem days as an aberration, funded by shady money, rather than a 'big club' regaining its rightful place, and you'll be back struggling to average 10000 a game.

My Two pence

we are at a very low point..and even in the CCC ALL pundits..not most but ALL pudits/experts say we ARE a premiership CLUB in the wrong league...

I dont take that we have the devine right to be anywhere..we have to earn it and we are where we are because right now, we deserve it..but those looking in say we ARE a Prem..much like they say about Leeds

NOT ONCE for all those years you were not in the top flight did I ever really hear the same said about you...

WHEN you go down..after about 1 season, I doubt it will be said again..

Quote lifted from Sky Sports pages......LOL:D

Crouch has spent just one season at Fratton Park after joining from Liverpool, but Portsmouth boss Hart admits the club have no choice but to cash in.

Disappointed

"Obviously I'm disappointed to see Peter leave, but given the severe financial restraints in place here we had no choice but to accept an offer from Tottenham," Hart told the Sunday Mirror.

"I think people need to realise that Pompey have been punching above their weight and could no longer sustain the level of spending that has gone on here over the last three years."

Hart also insisted that the takeover spearheaded by Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim would not lead to a Manchester City style spending spree on the South Coast.

He added: "Even though a new owner is poised to come in our dealings in the market will be modest in comparison to the past."

absolutely hilarious - we must go back to before most of us were born - then we will remember they were good!

absolutely hilarious - we must go back to before most of us were born - then we will remember they were good!

Oi !! More respect from you please.

Don't you realize that they had to play Old Corinthians and the Royal Engineers twice per year during those days?

I don't wish them out of existence but I do wish them into reality.