Lallana

hypochondriac

Simple, at the moment he should either be in the reserves or loaned out to a League 2 side. He is one of those unfortunate young players who was made a star before he actually achieved very much. He will be good one day, but first he has to learn basic stuff like delivering an end product, in terms of a pass to a team mate, or a decent strike on goal. It is the danger of introducing players too soon. Drop him, give him the shock he needs that he is not invincible, then gradually reintroduce him when he got himself a decent haircut.

I do hope this is a joke...

One thing alot of people seem to forget about Lallana, is that he was diaganosed with a heart condition at about 16/17 - i think he still has to have checkups. He was close to actually quitting the game because of it...so cut him a bit of slack.

But he's not been too bad this season at all IMO - he's put in 100% pretty much every-game, but when we play like we did on Saturday (HOOF) then he's just played out of the game and becomes ineffective (not his fault at all)

When we grow as a team and develop a pattern to our play, he will be integral in it.

One thing alot of people seem to forget about Lallana, is that he was diaganosed with a heart condition at about 16/17 - i think he still has to have checkups. He was close to actually quitting the game because of it...so cut him a bit of slack.

But he's not been too bad this season at all IMO - he's put in 100% pretty much every-game, but when we play like we did on Saturday (HOOF) then he's just played out of the game and becomes ineffective (not his fault at all)

When we grow as a team and develop a pattern to our play, he will be integral in it.

Was that him? I vaguely remember that, but I thought we had released whoever it was.

Was that him? I vaguely remember that, but I thought we had released whoever it was.

Yep.

''The 2004/5 campaign started slowly for Lallana however as he required surgery to correct an irregular heart-beat - a condition discovered during the medical examination that followed a first call-up for the England Under 17 squad.''

Birmingham 2 weeks ago.... You seriously need to lighten up on Lallana. At the moment there are a lot of underachievers! AL needs to improve but the fact that you cannot see anything good in him suggests you haven't got a clue - respewctfully.

What do you mean 'lighten up' on Lallana? I love the way in which we have only two examples (West Brom in 08 and Birmingham 2 weeks ago) where he has made a recognisable contribution, and yet its ok to dismiss Paterson on what is it - 4 league games...?

Yet Lallana has had over a season as first choice and has gone backwards.

I didn't start the thread BTW so it's not just me wondering...

I'll revisit the subject at Xmas....my bet is he'll be angling for a move in January so I guess he'll be prolific in December.

He causes a big problem at the moment IMO. Clearly we shouldn't play him on the wing. It's not going to help with the width problem. Presuming Papa plays RW (I hope) then I would like to see Mills given a go LW. The problem then is where to play Adam. My team at the moment would be:

Davis

Thomas Trotman Jaidi Harding

Papa Hammond Schneiderlin Mills

Lambert Saganowski

So where does Adam fit in? Thoughts?

I have to agree with this team the only thing I would change is Murty for Thomas when fit.

I like Lallana he has great skill & ability but isnt producing the final ball & unbalances the team, I would have him on the bench & throw him on when 1 off the wingers had run themselves into the ground.

We have the leagues top goal scorer we have to supply him with chances & Adam isnt doing that at the moment.

Lallana was decent down the left in the first half, gave himself room, stayed out wide and caused some problems down the left. The second half was anonymous and he didn't have a clue how to play off Lambert.

His dead ball delivery is flat and awful and if he does get it airborne it clears everybody. Karen Carney for England Ladies could give him lessons on how to deliver a dead ball.

His problem is the more players we get in, the more difficult it is going to be to give him a game. This may be dawning on him but playing three positions in a match is counterproductive.

He is an enigmatic problem, he does have good control but lacks pace and isn't a natural goalscorer. He looks better on the left because he can go either way but on the right he only comes inside. We can't play him up front as he isn't strong enough. quick enough or cute enough to get us 20 goals a season. He just isn't strong enough to play central midfield.

It may well be, wide left is his best bet.

Lallana was decent down the left in the first half, gave himself room, stayed out wide and caused some problems down the left. The second half was anonymous and he didn't have a clue how to play off Lambert.

His dead ball delivery is flat and awful and if he does get it airborne it clears everybody. Karen Carney for England Ladies could give him lessons on how to deliver a dead ball.

His problem is the more players we get in, the more difficult it is going to be to give him a game. This may be dawning on him but playing three positions in a match is counterproductive.

He is an enigmatic problem, he does have good control but lacks pace and isn't a natural goalscorer. He looks better on the left because he can go either way but on the right he only comes inside. We can't play him up front as he isn't strong enough. quick enough or cute enough to get us 20 goals a season. He just isn't strong enough to play central midfield.

It may well be, wide left is his best bet.

Is he left footed then? I always thought he was better on the right but I guess the Hearts goal might bear out your assessment. Personally I think he's got talent and worth persevering with. He's one of the few players we've got that has the ability to pick out a good pass in the final third (whether he always does that is a different question) but I'd rather have a player who has the talent even if it is largely unrealised than someone who might run and run but achieve the same result. We've got a fair number of cloggers in the side now - it'd be nice to have someone who can be the difference between a tough team hard to beat and a tough team that wins.

What do I know though? I thought Fernades was great (and still do) but he was slagged off continually as well.

the only place for lallana is a free role behind the front two, feeding everyone he can.

The most dangerous I have seen Lallana is when he receives or takes the ball into the box and goes at goal, normally on the right. I agree about the position, not sure he has the creative passing yet though.

All we need is either teamwork or an individual to unbalance a side and I firmly believe the flood gates will open. I am hoping Papa will do that and unlock all those near do wells that are hiding in the shadows at the present. And it will not matter if they have won there first 6 games on the bounce if someone can provide that spark.

Is he left footed then? I always thought he was better on the right but I guess the Hearts goal might bear out your assessment. Personally I think he's got talent and worth persevering with. He's one of the few players we've got that has the ability to pick out a good pass in the final third (whether he always does that is a different question) but I'd rather have a player who has the talent even if it is largely unrealised than someone who might run and run but achieve the same result. We've got a fair number of cloggers in the side now - it'd be nice to have someone who can be the difference between a tough team hard to beat and a tough team that wins.

What do I know though? I thought Fernades was great (and still do) but he was slagged off continually as well.

He is right sided but appears more positive and effective on the left side. His biggest problem is the unhelpful hype that he is the real deal, when all he is, is a young lad trying to make a breakthrough.

His end product is poor and he still hasn't got a nailed down position to call his own, despite the incessant promotion by some on here that he can play as a striker or central midfielder. He isn't strong enough yet to play in midfield and there is no evidence that he can get twenty goals as a striker.

I have finally this season discovered Lallana's talents, but I have also discovered his comparative ineffectiveness. He needs two things to progress to a level of football when we can stop debating him. Firstly ONE position, and secondly a clear idea of what he is on the pitch to achieve.

He has appeared most effective on the left, but I think that might be because he has worked up an understanding with Harding, and with James in CM as well it worked even better for him. However, we have both Fish and Holmes (if he ever stays fit) who are both left footed, so it seems a bit silly to work Lallana into the position where we have players already. We haven't got a RM, though, and fill in there with whatever is available. I'd leave Lallana on the right with strong instructions to stay wide and provide ammunition and move into the box when the ball is coming from the left.

Sounds simple to me.

All calls for him to play as a striker or in an offensive CM role are overrating his talent. Maybe one day if he can find that next gear it could be considered, but he isn't there or even thereabout yet.

I have finally this season discovered Lallana's talents, but I have also discovered his comparative ineffectiveness. He needs two things to progress to a level of football when we can stop debating him. Firstly ONE position, and secondly a clear idea of what he is on the pitch to achieve.

He has appeared most effective on the left, but I think that might be because he has worked up an understanding with Harding, and with James in CM as well it worked even better for him. However, we have both Fish and Holmes (if he ever stays fit) who are both left footed, so it seems a bit silly to work Lallana into the position where we have players already. We haven't got a RM, though, and fill in there with whatever is available. I'd leave Lallana on the right with strong instructions to stay wide and provide ammunition and move into the box when the ball is coming from the left.

Sounds simple to me.

All calls for him to play as a striker or in an offensive CM role are overrating his talent. Maybe one day if he can find that next gear it could be considered, but he isn't there or even thereabout yet.

Stating the obvious however we may find that he won't do that and unfortunately may become a fringe player.

Stating the obvious however we may find that he won't do that and unfortunately may become a fringe player.

How very right you are. He needs to be given a proper chance by this proper manager and with proper instructions and coaching. The coaching set-up is certainly there to do it now. If his game still doesn't become a force in L1 then I'm afraid conclusions will have to be drawn. In footballing terms he isn't a youngster anymore.

He is right sided but appears more positive and effective on the left side. His biggest problem is the unhelpful hype that he is the real deal, when all he is, is a young lad trying to make a breakthrough.

His end product is poor and he still hasn't got a nailed down position to call his own, despite the incessant promotion by some on here that he can play as a striker or central midfielder. He isn't strong enough yet to play in midfield and there is no evidence that he can get twenty goals as a striker.

Sorry if I am sounding rude but you are so opinionated about AL.

I thinkl you believe that you know more than Pardew and the coaching staff! Sadly players are like the rest of us in that they respond to how people perceive them. How do you think AL preceives your ridiculous, negative opinions stated like you are some kind of expert? Give it a rest and coach under 7's please.....!

How very right you are. He needs to be given a proper chance by this proper manager and with proper instructions and coaching. The coaching set-up is certainly there to do it now. If his game still doesn't become a force in L1 then I'm afraid conclusions will have to be drawn. In footballing terms he isn't a youngster anymore.

You touch on an interesting point here. For me the coaching and tactics are short on quality so far too.

I thinkl you believe that you know more than Pardew and the coaching staff! Sadly players are like the rest of us in that they respond to how people perceive them. How do you think AL preceives your ridiculous, negative opinions stated like you are some kind of expert? Give it a rest and coach under 7's please.....!

You say sorry for sounding rude.....then you are. Derry does not believe he knows better than AP, but he does have an opinion on AL, as a lot of people do and he is not afraid to air it. I thought that was what this forum was about.

AL is a young player who is getting advice from lots of different people, some he will respect, many he wont.I am sure he has far better things to do than look for people's views on him from an internet forum.

Derry does not think he is an expert, he is in fact trying to find a solution to the fact that AL is a good footballer who needs to find his best position in the team, to make the most of his abilities in the team, before it is too late for him.

As for coaching under 7's, that is rude, Derry has coached at a decent level, and his opinions are always worthy of reading, in my opinion, as a lot of people's are on this site and always has a lot to offer in any debate.

I fear that Adam will be just another talented player, from a very long list of players that will never fulfill his potential,this may not entirely be his fault but he needs to start to show us what he is capable very soon otherwise he will find himself trying to prove his abilities in the reserves or at another club.

I have to agree with this .

No one should seriously doubt Adam Lallana's technical ability on the ball - but becoming an effective player requires so much more than just that . This lad's not blessed with outstanding natural pace or height , nor for that matter does he possess the upper body strength needed to overpower his opponents . He needs either to baulk up (this may come with age) or learn how to play around his limitations - pass and move might be a simplistic way of describing it .

A good team should be a balance of talented players mixed with hard grafters who can win the ball and give it to their more creative teamates . There should be room in the game for gifted young players such as Lallana or Schneiderlin - but we also need workers like Gillett around them .

Over to you Mr Pardew .

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Sorry but also your blind optimism about Lallana is clouding your judgement.

Maybe taking your blinkers off would allow you to see things as they are. It is one thing having a subjective opinion but you seem to be devoid of any football background.

As a matter of interest Teddy Nutkins is an ex Saints player.

I'm sorry, but he IS the most hard working player in the team. He was absolutely busting a guy chasing things down V Colchester.

Well for all of his 'hard work' he's not producing much. I'm sorry, have to accept your point but respectfully disagree.

Unfortunately there have been many Saints players who showed some initial promise but for some reason (hmmm..involvement with U21 get togethers,nights out in Bmth,their 'head not being right') flattered to deceive before drifting down the pecking order, then down the leagues.

Hang on...there isn't much further to fall is there?

I don't rate him - why?

Skillful? Yes.

Industrious? Maybe (but that is only good if it is effective);

Hardest Working? I think Trotman, Davis, Harding, Perry, James, and Lambert could have an argument with you on that one.

Yes, he's talented, but we are CARRYING him in this team - no tens of responses on here claiming him to be our best player is going to change that - only Lallana can change opinion.

He can start that by practicing corners and getting them away from the keeper.

Back to basics before anything eh?

Well for all of his 'hard work' he's not producing much. I'm sorry, have to accept your point but respectfully disagree.

Unfortunately there have been many Saints players who showed some initial promise but for some reason (hmmm..involvement with U21 get togethers,nights out in Bmth,their 'head not being right') flattered to deceive before drifting down the pecking order, then down the leagues.

I don't rate him - why?

Skillful? Yes.

Hardest Working? I think Trotman, Davis, Harding, Perry, James, and Lambert could have an argument with you on that one.

Yes, he's talented, but we are CARRYING him in this team - no tens of responses on here claiming him to be our best player is going to change that - only Lallana can change opinion.

Has he ****ged your mrs or something as you seem to have some sort of vendetta against one of Saints most talented and better young players which i find hard to understand seeing as most people who have seen him play recently think he's put in the effort and played well.

I don't rate him - why?

Skillful? Yes.

To be honest there seem to be more people who don't rate Lallana than do....or maybe it's just the same people repeating themselves?

All I know is that in the games I've seen we've lacked an ability to create chances and Lallana has the ability to do that (and yes I know he's been playing in those games). On the left I'd agree we've got better options (or at least when they're fit) but not on the right. I just don't think we've got anything better in terms of creativity and even if it doesn't come off well at least he's trying and is capable of doing something. I'm not sure we've got anyone else in the squad that can do that better so I'd rather support the lad and hope that his confidence improves.

So you're saying he's hampered by hype and then saying he shouldn't play as a striker because he can't guarantee 20 goals? Nothing like putting pressure on whoever is Lambert's striking partner then eh?

Out of interest who would you rather play on the right?

You say sorry for sounding rude.....then you are. Derry does not believe he knows better than AP, but he does have an opinion on AL, as a lot of people do and he is not afraid to air it. I thought that was what this forum was about.

AL is a young player who is getting advice from lots of different people, some he will respect, many he wont.I am sure he has far better things to do than look for people's views on him from an internet forum.

Derry does not think he is an expert, he is in fact trying to find a solution to the fact that AL is a good footballer who needs to find his best position in the team, to make the most of his abilities in the team, before it is too late for him.

As for coaching under 7's, that is rude, Derry has coached at a decent level, and his opinions are always worthy of reading, in my opinion, as a lot of people's are on this site and always has a lot to offer in any debate.

Look I apologise for my rudeness it was really not personal or intended. I like a lot of Derry's posts but he does have a real downer on AL. Consequently, I am just very frustrated at the continual criticism and over analysis of Lallana from, with respect, people who have coached or are ex-players. I don't profess to have coached anyone, but I have been watching since 1963 so I think I am allowed an opinion. I might add that your comment - to make the most of his abilities in the team, before it is too late for him- is typically negative, he's still a young player and I think young players probably do look at this type of site.

i

Matron. I am of a similar vintage as you, but I regard Lallana as the most over hyped and under performing member of our "world class academy.

The fact that he got round to covering back last week has been stated on here as proof of his worth, but surely this was the very least required.

The proof is in his stats. How many goals? How many assists? and please leave out league cup games, which leaves... Bug ger all.

If he's playing tomorrow and takes a corner in front of me, I may offend a lot of people.

Matron. I am of a similar vintage as you, but I regard Lallana as the most over hyped and under performing member of our "world class academy.

The fact that he got round to covering back last week has been stated on here as proof of his worth, but surely this was the very least required.

The proof is in his stats. How many goals? How many assists? and please leave out league cup games, which leaves... Bug ger all.

If he's playing tomorrow and takes a corner in front of me, I may offend a lot of people.

Who would you play instead?

Sorry you can't leave out cup games that's ridiculous! I don't think AL's been either fully trusted or backed by AP. Until he is folks will continue to criticise him whilst praising other under achievers like Hammond.

Look I apologise for my rudeness it was really not personal or intended. I like a lot of Derry's posts but he does have a real downer on AL. Consequently, I am just very frustrated at the continual criticism and over analysis of Lallana from, with respect, people who have coached or are ex-players. I don't profess to have coached anyone, but I have been watching since 1963 so I think I am allowed an opinion. I might add that your comment - to make the most of his abilities in the team, before it is too late for him- is typically negative, he's still a young player and I think young players probably do look at this type of site.

i

M.M. that is all fair comment, but maybe i did not say things how i wanted to.I actually really think AL is a very good footballer, but, like a lot of people find it hard to find a position in this team that amplifys best his, to me, undoubted ability.I would hate to see him leave the the club, but he may have to leave to reach his full potential in a team that would best suit his style.I hope he scores a hat trick today, finds me in the crowd, and firmly sticks 2 fingers up.:D

Sorry you can't leave out cup games that's ridiculous! I don't think AL's been either fully trusted or backed by AP. Until he is folks will continue to criticise him whilst praising other under achievers like Hammond.

So by playing him week in week out, Pards hasn't been 'fully trusting or backing him'?

Jesus..I hope you make these many excuses for every player. Given that you've supported Saints for a long time I'm surprised at your support for him - he wouldn't have got near the 1st team had we been still in the Prem.

and to answer an earlier criticism of my posts, there is no 'vendetta' against Lallana from me. I just happen to feel that he is not worthy of a place in the team at the moment - what's wrong with that?

That feeling is backed up with his 'Billy Big Balls' attitude towards Wotte in pre-season when he 'didn't feel like playing' - perhaps Wotte told him to pull his finger out?

I stand by my earlier assumption that he'll be angling for a move in January - League 1 or CCC doesn't suit him to be honest (too physical) - perhaps Surman can budge along the bench for him at Wolves or something.

Under achievers like Hammond? Jesus - he's been here 5 minutes and you're protecting Lallana who's been here for years...

So by playing him week in week out, Pards hasn't been 'fully trusting or backing him'?

Jesus..I hope you make these many excuses for every player. Given that you've supported Saints for a long time I'm surprised at your support for him - he wouldn't have got near the 1st team had we been still in the Prem.

and to answer an earlier criticism of my posts, there is no 'vendetta' against Lallana from me. I just happen to feel that he is not worthy of a place in the team at the moment - what's wrong with that?

That feeling is backed up with his 'Billy Big Balls' attitude towards Wotte in pre-season when he 'didn't feel like playing' - perhaps Wotte told him to pull his finger out?

I stand by my earlier assumption that he'll be angling for a move in January - League 1 or CCC doesn't suit him to be honest (too physical) - perhaps Surman can budge along the bench for him at Wolves or something.

Under achievers like Hammond? Jesus - he's been here 5 minutes and you're protecting Lallana who's been here for years...

In the absence of answering the question as to who you would play instead I'm assuming you have no answer. In which case what's the point of slagging Lallana off? Of course he wouldn't get near our team in the prem.....but we're not in the prem. He's a decent player, has the talent to be better and excites fans....what's the problem? You seem to be basing your assumption on his "billy big balls" attitude and to be fair that may be the case (I've never met him) but for me that doesn't show on the pitch.....and that's what counts. Cut him slack - he's not our worst player and could be our best player.

In the absence of answering the question as to who you would play instead I'm assuming you have no answer. In which case what's the point of slagging Lallana off? Of course he wouldn't get near our team in the prem.....but we're not in the prem. He's a decent player, has the talent to be better and excites fans....what's the problem? You seem to be basing your assumption on his "billy big balls" attitude and to be fair that may be the case (I've never met him) but for me that doesn't show on the pitch.....and that's what counts. Cut him slack - he's not our worst player and could be our best player.

The "billy big balls" attitude couldn`t be further from the truth AL is actually quite a grounded family orientated type lad,to many people believe all the **** that is written by a sad few.

Well done AL that's 3 in 9 - not bad for someone who you believe has a Billy Big Balls attitude!

The "billy big balls" attitude couldn`t be further from the truth AL is actually quite a grounded family orientated type lad,to many people believe all the **** that is written by a sad few.

Well done AL that's 3 in 9 - not bad for someone who you believe has a Billy Big Balls attitude!

Yep, congratulations to AL. He should really have done better saving the goal we conceded and it was disappointing not to see him beat the entire Charlton team twice before lobbing the keeper from 60 yards. Until he does that week in / week out he'll remain the weak link in our team though.....

Well done for today AL.

See...some of us on here can actually still support the team without sarcastic posts trying to garner a reaction - I stand by my original view on him - a goal isn't going to change that..what do you expect me to say? - that I take it all back or you were right because he scored today? 'One swallow doesn't make a summer' as they say.

I hope it's the same next week, I shall watch with interest at the game.

One thing though, if you listened to Radio Solent you would have heard Kris Temple mention that in response to a texter complaining about his corner delivery that they'd watched him in training and he couldn't get the ball of the ground.

So, it's not just me.

As I said before, I'm not going to criticise him further until Xmas to review his form and progress, which I think is fair - after all it's what you all do to others isn't it?

Edited by Channon's Sideburns

Well done for today AL.

See...some of us on here can actually still support the team without sarcastic posts trying to garner a reaction - I stand by my original view on him - a goal isn't going to change that..what do you expect me to say? - that I take it all back or you were right because he scored today? 'One swallow doesn't make a summer' as they say.

I hope it's the same next week, I shall watch with interest at the game.

One thing though, if you listened to Radio Solent you would have heard Kris Temple mention that in response to a texter complaining about his corner delivery that they'd watched him in training and he couldn't get the ball of the ground.

So, it's not just me.

As I said before, I'm not going to criticise him further until Xmas to review his form and progress, which I think is fair - after all it's what you all do to others isn't it?

If you look at the defence of AL on this thread then there doesn't seem to be too many people suggesting he's a world beater - just a good player with the potential to be much much better. You appear (whether you want to or not) as being overly critical - that's what you were being called up on.

As I've said before the team does lack creativity so in the absence of anything better it's worth supporting AL isn't it?

Thought he did very well today and have been impressed by his recent displays.

However i also agree time for someone else to take the corners as they just seem awkward. I would let Morgan take them and if not him then maybe Hammond,Harding.

It would not hurt to try something different.

Thought he did very well today and have been impressed by his recent displays.

However i also agree time for someone else to take the corners as they just seem awkward. I would let Morgan take them and if not him then maybe Hammond,Harding.

It would not hurt to try something different.

One of his corners today just hit the first man and went off for a throw-in. He didn't look happy. I reckon Harding should take them on the left, Hammond is a big lad, need him in and around the box. Morgan to take on the right?

Maybe taking your blinkers off would allow you to see things as they are. It is one thing having a subjective opinion but you seem to be devoid of any football background.

As a matter of interest Teddy Nutkins is an ex Saints player.

And because you are on page 3 of your 'how to be a football coach 101' pamphlet your opinion is more valid then, yes?

If you look at the defence of AL on this thread then there doesn't seem to be too many people suggesting he's a world beater - just a good player with the potential to be much much better. You appear (whether you want to or not) as being overly critical - that's what you were being called up on.

As I've said before the team does lack creativity so in the absence of anything better it's worth supporting AL isn't it?

I'm only overtly critical at times of him, because of the his performances for the last 18mths, and his attitude during pre-season. As you may recall (or you may want to look it up) there was a thread about him discussing when he told Wotte he wanted out around the time of the AFC Totton friendly - and check the reaction then from everyone on here then.

He didn't want to be here, didn't want to play in League 1, didn't want to play for Saints anymore - that was the gist of things.

Now my theory on his new found loyalty is based on he didn't get the move he wanted - perhaps no-one actually wanted him, I don't know.

Just because he's seen as integral to our play by some doesn't change that. You can forgive, but you cannot forget. I still believe he'll be angling for a move come January.

Just my opinion - you have yours and you're welcome to it. I haven't got a problem with that.

I'm sorry, but for me playing for Saints is like this, if someone acts that way and they're not committed and want out - a change of manager will not change that.