Lallana

hypochondriac

Have been a fan of Lallana from day one. Along with Schneiderlin, he is the best technical player we have at the club.

It's great to see Adam in such a rich vein of form, and long may it continue.

He took both his goals superbly well today and here's hoping for more of the same.

Lallana seems to be the perfect foil for Lambert in attack, and this could be the start of a decent partnership.

The "problem" Lallana had (and managers) is finding his role.

No-one can fail to see his ability.

He was not solid enough for CM

Didn't score enough, or look like scoring as CF (possibly conifence and partners)

Not fast enough for a winger.

He is now scoring, and looking like scoring - looking exciting alongside Lambert.

In this form, looks like both with score most games!

The "problem" Lallana had (and managers) is finding his role.

No-one can fail to see his ability.

He was not solid enough for CM

Didn't score enough, or look like scoring as CF (possibly conifence and partners)

Not fast enough for a winger.

He is now scoring, and looking like scoring - looking exciting alongside Lambert.

In this form, looks like both with score most games!

That is a very fair assessment.

"The Hole" suits him.

Yes, fair play to him, I have to say I was worried that the insistance on playing him was upsetting the structure of the team but the manager and coaching staff have found him a role, worked with him, and its begun to play dividends.

Thought he was very very good yesterday.

Lallana is the star of the team at the moment, without a doubt.

Now that we have money behind us, it will be interesting to see how we deal with approaches from the Premiership in January.

I thought it was Apfel Stroodle they served in Austria, not fecking great slices of humble pie...

Mr, Lallana and Schneiderlin are the weak links!!!! ;)

Welcome to the party, Alpine.

I lost count of the times over the last 12 months that I posted on here about the need to get off AL's back and give him time as he is going to be a top top good player.

Perhaps now after he has scored a couple, those that struggle to recognise young talent have the sort of evidence they need to tell them we have a player that is going places with or without us.

I'm not trying to suggest I'm some sort of great talent scout, any mug could see the boy is a cut above, but there were still fans on here that failed to spot it and harped on about his lack of goals despite it being his first full season.

Perhaps in future you will give Saints youngsters, that have a little about them, a little more leeway.

I lost count of the times over the last 12 months that I posted on here about the need to get off AL's back and give him time as he is going to be a top top good player.

Perhaps now after he has scored a couple, those that struggle to recognise young talent have the sort of evidence they need to tell them we have a player that is going places with or without us.

I'm not trying to suggest I'm some sort of great talent scout, any mug could see the boy is a cut above, but there were still fans on here that failed to spot it and harped on about his lack of goals despite it being his first full season.

Perhaps in future you will give Saints youngsters, that have a little about them, a little more leeway.

Ditto Chez. Will be interesting to hear Derry's assesment amongst others.

I have never doubted his ability talent or workrate the only doubts was how & where he fitted into the team & his end product.

Fair play to him & to AP it was clear it wasnt working with him playing wide the last couple of games he has played very well he finished very well on Saturday better finishing on tuesday & he could have had a hat trick.

Confidence is a wonderfull thing I hope he has a run & keeps scoring lets hope we see the best of him this season I would like nothing better than to watch the lad come good and get the best out of his natural talent.

Now that we have money behind us, it will be interesting to see how we deal with approaches from the Premiership in January.

Pardew said at the Fans Forum that we rejected Prem interest in the summer and that he persuaded Lallana to stay a while and win stuff here, early in his career.

I'd assume that the same will be the case next summer (assuming we don't get promoted).

hopefully the JPT this year will be a nice start :)

Definately. I know some on here find it a bit embarrassing that we're in it but we are where we are so let's look on it as a good opportunity to get in the winning habit!

Do you think Pardew saying he was after another striker on loan might have helped? I think maybe he was getting an 'I'm indispensable" notion that may just have been arrested.

Perhaps. I think playing him consistently in a position he is good in has helped as well. Maybe it has helped him to define in his own mind the job he is meant to do for the team.

but he's played left wing the last two games?

In the Echo it said Saints lined up like this against Gillingham

---------------------Davis---------------------

James------Trotman----------Jaidi------Harding

---------------------Wotton-------------------

-----------Hammond----------Mellis------------

----Waigo-----------------------------Lallana--

-------------------Lambert---------------------

HTH.

Originally Posted by alpine_saint viewpost.gif

Pardew said at the Fans Forum that we rejected Prem interest in the summer and that he persuaded Lallana to stay a while and win stuff here, early in his career.

I'd assume that the same will be the case next summer (assuming we don't get promoted).

It's not that difficult to keep hold of young players, if you have the money and a couple of years on their contract. Lallana can clearly see now that there is no substitute for playing and is going to be very cautious of moving to somewhere he is not guaranteed a regular place. If we were to get promoted this season, I can easily see him extending his contract. He's very pally with Drew and I can easily see Drew's amount of games with Wolves having an impact on his thinking.

Chelsea have some of the best young players going, but unless like Arsenal you are prepared to play them, they just seem to go backwards.

You will old pal. He is working tirelessly in a kind of Mackele (spelling?) role and allowing Hammond to get forward. Bizarrely he and Wotton are kind of interchangeable in this role, although only one of them can hit a pass beyond the end of my office...

Makélélé. And how far is your office from St Mary's? Perhaps you could coach Wotton until he can accurately hit your waste-paper basket, then get him to up his level until he can get the ball out of the office door nine times out of ten. After that, the sky's the limit.

Makélélé. And how far is your office from St Mary's? Perhaps you could coach Wotton until he can accurately hit your waste-paper basket, then get him to up his level until he can get the ball out of the office door nine times out of ten. After that, the sky's the limit.

Dorking to St Mary's - I dunno, 70 miles?

Waste Paper Basket - get with the programme, it's a recycling box these days! ;)

but he's played left wing the last two games?

No. he played as a supporting striker against Carlisle and Bristol R and then on the left against Gillingham - no doubt to give more cover to Harding, presumably to make up for Mellis' weaknesses against Bristol R.

Ditto Chez. Will be interesting to hear Derry's assesment amongst others.

He was a liability and underperformed for a year. Even his management didn't know where to play him.

His present form is down to two things, Waigo wide with pace opening up the opposing back four and a now fit Lambert bringing him into the game.

Other than that he is still playing narrow but because of the gaps is now able to get some chances. His goal came from being left free in a central left position due to our pressure down the right.

I said some time ago that I would judge him as a striker when I saw him play there. He is far superior to Saganowski at the moment and his unpredictability is much more effective there than in the middle or on the wing.

As long as he continues to score I wouldn't consider bringing anybody else in alongside Lambert but we need Holmes wide left or the chances will die out again as our right side will be blocked off as soon as teams see how we set up.

No. he played as a supporting striker against Carlisle and Bristol R and then on the left against Gillingham - no doubt to give more cover to Harding, presumably to make up for Mellis' weaknesses against Bristol R.

no he didn't. He played as a supporting striker against Carlise and left wing against Rovers. Mellis played down the middle in both games (Rovers and Gillingham) it was a 4-3-3 in both games.

Edited by Chez

He was a liability and underperformed for a year. Even his management didn't know where to play him.

His present form is down to two things, Waigo wide with pace opening up the opposing back four and a now fit Lambert bringing him into the game.

Other than that he is still playing narrow but because of the gaps is now able to get some chances. His goal came from being left free in a central left position due to our pressure down the right.

I said some time ago that I would judge him as a striker when I saw him play there. He is far superior to Saganowski at the moment and his unpredictability is much more effective there than in the middle or on the wing.

As long as he continues to score I wouldn't consider bringing anybody else in alongside Lambert but we need Holmes wide left or the chances will die out again as our right side will be blocked off as soon as teams see how we set up.

what's that you say?Unpredictability? I think the term you are looking for is fantastic ball skills. Why on earth would we bring Holmes in when Lallana is already playing left wing?

The difference between this 4-3-3 and the formation we were playing last season, was that when we were attacking down the flanks (left or right) the other wide player would tuck in and was joined by Mellis. We therefore mostly had 3 players in the box and 3 options to pick out. Last season we had McGoldrick or nobody and more often than not, it was nobody.

Holmes is not good enough for a place in the starting eleven....He has NO speed and is way behind the other first team players......Again ..He is NOT good enough........Even if he was to get some match time with other teams he would not reach our starting team..

He may have still have some injury issues but still lacks the speed for a winger and he does not come up to scratch in any other position. IMHO...Not my cup of tea old boy.

COYRs

what's that you say?Unpredictability? I think the term you are looking for is fantastic ball skills. Why on earth would we bring Holmes in when Lallana is already playing left wing?

I think it was meant to be a compliment. I think Adam has been really great recently but I also realise that he has been very inconsistent up until recently.

lallana has been playin well recently, he cannot be played as a box 2 box midfielder because he doesnt have the work rate needed, he plays best when he has lambert winning the ball for him in the air and playing it to his feet and allowing him to run at players and cause havoc in the opposition's half. he showed on sat against gillingham that he can finish wen the defenders are not tight on him, i believe he will have a good season. however we also need quality on the wings, papa waigo showed glimpses of what he is possibly capable of im just not sure that the likes of mills can do the same on the left.

Begrudging praise Derry - just say well done to the lad. I know you're some kind of coach, but why can't you just recognise his undoubted talent and impact on the team without some hidden criticism beats me. Then to go on about Holmes. Why???

You will old pal. He is working tirelessly in a kind of Mackele (spelling?) role and allowing Hammond to get forward. Bizarrely he and Wotton are kind of interchangeable in this role, although only one of them can hit a pass beyond the end of my office...

Yeh Wottons vision for the long pass is just awesome - would of thought one one the big boys will be in for him in January........ooowwwww should we cash in?

Personally, for the short time he played there, i liked the look of him playing off lambert. He's the sort of player who can pick up the lose balls around the defenders and with his fleet-footedness, he can create something from it.

for me....(at home anyway)..

Davis

James -    Trotman -    Jaidi -    Harding

Hammond    -   Morgan

Papa                               Mills
                Lallana

Lambert

I agree with this team best we have at the min IMHO the only thing i may have changed is Holmes for Mills

I have never critised his skills, but simply his "powder puff" shooting ability in the past. He is having an immense season so far and I must eat my words after his seconed goal on Saturday. He has obviously worked on this, so well done to him.

I think it was meant to be a compliment. I think Adam has been really great recently but I also realise that he has been very inconsistent up until recently.

I don't think it was. As I have said all along it was his first full season last year and he's still a young player finding his feet, so inconsistency is to be expected. Those old enough to remember MLT when he first started will know that even he put in some pretty torrid displays at times.

Lallana is a cut above the rest at this level. He will still play poorly at times but enjoy him while you can because he is going to be a very good player indeed and unless we push for promotion he might not be here next season.

Where to play Lallana had become a bit of a connundrum, but there are signs of some light at the end of the tunnel, as he is starting to form an understanding with Lambert and the two of them are beginning to complement one another.

Him being pursuaded to stay at the beginning of the season is starting to look like a good decision all round and he has seen that his mate Surman has hardly done much aside from warming the bench at Wolves. Anyway, by playing and scoring several goals this season, Lallana is doing his future prospects no harm and keeping himself sharp and developing his skills at the same time.

Happily, with a wealthy owner, we are no longer obliged to sell our budding young stars to raise the money to keep afloat. If anybody comes knocking for him, we can tell them to go and get lost if Alan Pardew wants to keep him. Naturally we would accept stupid money, but unless the player wants to leave, it is comforting to have this security for our future plans.

Where to play Lallana had become a bit of a connundrum, but there are signs of some light at the end of the tunnel, as he is starting to form an understanding with Lambert and the two of them are beginning to complement one another.

Him being pursuaded to stay at the beginning of the season is starting to look like a good decision all round and he has seen that his mate Surman has hardly done much aside from warming the bench at Wolves. Anyway, by playing and scoring several goals this season, Lallana is doing his future prospects no harm and keeping himself sharp and developing his skills at the same time.

Happily, with a wealthy owner, we are no longer obliged to sell our budding young stars to raise the money to keep afloat. If anybody comes knocking for him, we can tell them to go and get lost if Alan Pardew wants to keep him. Naturally we would accept stupid money, but unless the player wants to leave, it is comforting to have this security for our future plans.

agree with that. My concern though would be if AL says he wants to leave. We can't hold him against his will. I suppose we can at least hold out for the right price though. How long has he left on his contract? Why not offer him a new 5 year deal right here and now adn show we mean serious business. We need to follow Peterborough's lead as I think they did the same with McClean and Boyd.

I don't think it was. As I have said all along it was his first full season last year and he's still a young player finding his feet, so inconsistency is to be expected. Those old enough to remember MLT when he first started will know that even he put in some pretty torrid displays at times.

Lallana is a cut above the rest at this level. He will still play poorly at times but enjoy him while you can because he is going to be a very good player indeed and unless we push for promotion he might not be here next season.

It was a complement because unpredictability is an asset in certain areas such as the opposing penalty area. One of his goals when he turned the defenders to finish in the opposite corner was brilliant.

Lallana is not playing wide left, he sometimes rather belatedly gets wide but more often than not he is in the old inside left position.

We will need to create down both sides, at the moment the left is dormant, whilst the right is effective, if we can get a wide left player opening things up then it will open more space for Lambert, Lallana and Waigo and give the midfielders more scope on passing and getting forward. If we only create from one side, that will soon get blocked off by opponents as we get worked out and the chances will dry up again.

I question the need for a sitting midfield player, Wide men supporting the fullback in defence with midfielders getting up and down may result in a few more goals conceded but will more than pay it's way with goals scored, and be a lot better to watch.

Begrudging praise Derry - just say well done to the lad. I know you're some kind of coach, but why can't you just recognise his undoubted talent and impact on the team without some hidden criticism beats me. Then to go on about Holmes. Why???

Lallana in every position up to now has been a liability, playing off Lambert is giving him a new lease of life. His unpredictability and close control, twisting and turning in the penalty area is now an asset, as opposed to the same thing in midfield being a liability.

Holmes or better still a new quick wide left midfielder is a necessary requirement, as we will only be able to get away attacking down one side for a very limited period, because we will quickly be worked out by the opposition and countered. For that reason we have to introduce the alternative balance of penetration down the left. When we do that we can look forward to beating the best sides and creating loads of opportunities for your hero to shine.

Just as important is the fact the wide players actually protect our fullbacks. We look wide open down our left because of the space whilst the right is pretty compact because we are occupying the space..

Ridiculous. Very good though he's been in the last couple of games, I would say that Lambert is possibly the best player I have ever seen at 3rd division level - his touch, vision and intelligence are deserving of a higher level - I would never claim it to "without doubt" though.