Lallana

hypochondriac

I'm only overtly critical at times of him, because of the his performances for the last 18mths, and his attitude during pre-season. As you may recall (or you may want to look it up) there was a thread about him discussing when he told Wotte he wanted out around the time of the AFC Totton friendly - and check the reaction then from everyone on here then.

He didn't want to be here, didn't want to play in League 1, didn't want to play for Saints anymore - that was the gist of things.

Now my theory on his new found loyalty is based on he didn't get the move he wanted - perhaps no-one actually wanted him, I don't know.

Just because he's seen as integral to our play by some doesn't change that. You can forgive, but you cannot forget. I still believe he'll be angling for a move come January.

Just my opinion - you have yours and you're welcome to it. I haven't got a problem with that.

I'm sorry, but for me playing for Saints is like this, if someone acts that way and they're not committed and want out - a change of manager will not change that.

Can't agree with this .

I haven't seen a shred of evidence that Adam Lallana doesn't want to be here or that he's not trying his very best for the team - quite the opposite in fact . This lad puts a decent shift in - the problem is his work's not always very productive as yet .

Lallana is a quality player he knows it as well, i think his best role is behind the striker or a ronaldo winger role where he doesnt have to track back as much, he will score and set goals up for fun in this league if he is played in the right postion, im hopefull of seeing a saints win on saturday we have the right squad now we have lallana lambert papa and saga as attacking options and we have a quality defense line up and back up.

Lallana has no end product and when put in a position, hasn't got the discipline to stay there. He has a good first touch and can driblle well, his passing is not brilliant and his shooting is awful. If he wasnts to become a prem player then he really needs to sort these out.

Lallana is a quality player he knows it as well, i think his best role is behind the striker or a ronaldo winger role where he doesnt have to track back as much, he will score and set goals up for fun in this league if he is played in the right postion, im hopefull of seeing a saints win on saturday we have the right squad now we have lallana lambert papa and saga as attacking options and we have a quality defense line up and back up.

How long can we afford to keep him in the team while he learns how to do these things?

He has not developed as he should have done - after all he had an entire season in CCC, so he should be doing better in L1 -- and he isn't.

17 and unlike our glourious academy, he looks like a proper athlete. rather than an extra from "Oliver".

Ha ha - a couple of nights out with you Delia, should fill them out.

After yesterday's match am coming around to your way of thinking re Lallana. I was a fan and he has talent but at the moment he is flattering to deceive.

And because you are on page 3 of your 'how to be a football coach 101' pamphlet your opinion is more valid then, yes?

We will see how long it takes for him to learn how to put a decent dead ball in or start putting in crosses for the strikers.

If Pardew rated him as a goal scorer he wouldn't be taking all the corners, he'd be in the box.

Edited by derry

Ha ha - a couple of nights out with you Delia, should fill them out.

After yesterday's match am coming around to your way of thinking re Lallana. I was a fan and he has talent but at the moment he is flattering to deceive.

He's certainly got the flair and the skills and I was impressed by his close control and tricks when he first burst on to the scene. However, like you I just can't help but think that he hasn't fully made the step up yet. He's 22 at the end of this season, so he's got to do it fairly soon.

He certainly looked much better against Colchester, so is Div 3 going to be his level (and even then he has to deliver consistently)????

I just wonder as to whether he (and the powers that be) know what his best position is and can he perform there?? I don't think it's wide right, I don't think it's upfront and I haven't got him down as centre of the park controlling and dictating the game.

Should he play in the hole?? But if so, then you have to build a team around him to enable that to happen, but I just don't think his performances to date deserve that.

17 and unlike our glourious academy, he looks like a proper athlete. rather than an extra from "Oliver".

17..!!!

bloody hell

he looked pretty impressive when the charlton game was on sky last week...deffo detined for higher levels..

just shows how off the pace lallana is considering he is/was an U21 international..

Can't agree with this .

I haven't seen a shred of evidence that Adam Lallana doesn't want to be here or that he's not trying his very best for the team - quite the opposite in fact . This lad puts a decent shift in - the problem is his work's not always very productive as yet .

Like I said - search for the thread from the summer. You may even find a mention of it on the OS.

Like I said - search for the thread from the summer. You may even find a mention of it on the OS.

If you are talking about this 'Lallana wants out' thread then the whole story regarding Lallana alleged refusal to play for Mark Wotte seems entirely unsubstantiated :

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14612&highlight=lallana+leave&page=1

A brief unsourced item on Talksport or Sky (quite possibly planted by an agent) is not even close to being what I regard as proper evidence worthy of damaging a young players reputation . I judge a player not on press tittle-tattle but rather on what I see in front of me every other Saturday - based on that real evidence I'd say Adam Lallana is fully committed to doing his very best for this football club while he's here .

If you are talking about this 'Lallana wants out' thread then the whole story regarding Lallana alleged refusal to play for Mark Wotte seems entirely unsubstantiated :

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14612&highlight=lallana+leave&page=1

A brief unsourced item on Talksport or Sky (quite possibly planted by an agent) is not even close to being what I regard as proper evidence worthy of damaging a young players reputation . I judge a player not on press tittle-tattle but rather on what I see in front of me every other Saturday - based on that real evidence I'd say Adam Lallana is fully committed to doing his very best for this football club while he's here .

I like the way you've overlooked the comments on that thread. Well done.

Especially the link to the Sky Sports article confirming that he wanted out.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_5422063,00.html

Edited by Channon's Sideburns

Thought Lallana was quality in the first half but drifted in the 2nd.

Still though - his corners are crap!

Let Morgan take them, he seems to be very good at long range balls so maybe he has a decent corner. I remember the OS bigging his set-pieces up when he signed.

Trouble with a CM taking corners is that he's not where he should be if the the opposition win the ball and counter attack. Waigo can probably do the job well enough, looking forward to that against Yeovil, he and Morgan will take them apart, probably 6 or 7 nil to us.

He's certainly got the flair and the skills and I was impressed by his close control and tricks when he first burst on to the scene. However, like you I just can't help but think that he hasn't fully made the step up yet. He's 22 at the end of this season, so he's got to do it fairly soon.

He certainly looked much better against Colchester, so is Div 3 going to be his level (and even then he has to deliver consistently)????

I just wonder as to whether he (and the powers that be) know what his best position is and can he perform there?? I don't think it's wide right, I don't think it's upfront and I haven't got him down as centre of the park controlling and dictating the game.

Should he play in the hole?? But if so, then you have to build a team around him to enable that to happen, but I just don't think his performances to date deserve that.

Perfect summary for Lallana IMO. He presents AP with a bit of a dilemna frankly. However, I have to say that he showed some foresight to judge when to get on the ball for his goal on Saturday. That's the mark of a good player TBF - he is making it hard NOT to pick him, which can only mean good things for Saints in my book.

I like the way you've overlooked the comments on that thread. Well done.

Especially the link to the Sky Sports article confirming that he wanted out.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_5422063,00.html

I did see that Sky link actually , still can't see any quote from Adam Lallana in it however . You don't seem to understand the difference between evidence and hearsay .

Even if true (which is not proven) you do realise that nearly every young player in the lower leagues would like to play in the Premier League don't you ? Far from being a valid criticism many might say that a player showing no desire to play at the highest level wasn't ambitious enough .

I must repeat Adam Lallana seems to be fully committed to doing his very best for this club and the level of effort on display from him can't be criticised - what more can you ask from any player ?

I did see that Sky link actually , still can't see any quote from Adam Lallana in it however . You don't seem to understand the difference between evidence and hearsay .

Even if true (which is not proven) you do realise that nearly every young player in the lower leagues would like to play in the Premier League don't you ? Far from being a valid criticism many might say that a player showing no desire to play at the highest level wasn't ambitious enough .

I must repeat Adam Lallana seems to be fully committed to doing his very best for this club and the level of effort on display from him can't be criticised - what more can you ask from any player ?

Ah well...time to take your fingers out of your ears and stop saying 'La-La-La-La Can't hear you!!!' then.... ;-)

You seriously think that Sky, Talksport AND the Echo would take the risk of running that story without getting it verified?

And, in response to 'Ooh Matron' (medication's fine BTW, I use Calpol ;-) ) from earlier, the reason I mentioned the other thread in the summer was when you look at the respected posters on it (for example Fitzhugh Fella - who has seen enough Saints players over the years to make unquestioned judgment) and their views on Lallana you will see that this isn't about me being 'obsessive'.

As with this thread there were more questioning Lallana (importantly his play not his attitude) than were championing him. So there you go.

Saturday was the first time I'd ever heard a Radio Solent presenter comment on a player like that when Temple mentioned that Lallana couldn't get the corners at training off the ground - so he's an obsessive like me as well then?

Christ I'm starting to feel like Nineteen already.....

I only respond to comments on here as everyone else does - and I'm only having to repeat my point because the thought police are out and about trying to dodge the issues - it's the same as the issue with Pardew - now I believe he should be given time, but you have to set a time period where you HAVE to make a judgement..you can't carry on saying 'Oh it will come together' when you could be heading for swapping places with Bournemouth.

Which at the moment is a distinct possibility - or do you think we are 'too good to go down'??

How many times have we heard that before.... ;-)

Edited by Channon's Sideburns

The story was wrong. Lallana did not want out. He was still injured and Wotte was playing silly buggers with him, hinting that he was not committed. Adam will tell you that was far from the truth.

Thanks for that valuable clarification Weston - if only everyone on here was open to reason that sould really put an end to this nonsense one would have thought . Unfortunately I suspect there are some who'd prefer to retain their prejudices .

Thanks for that valuable clarification Weston - if only everyone on here was open to reason that sould really put an end to this nonsense one would have thought . Unfortunately I suspect there are some who'd prefer to retain their prejudices .

Ooooh...handbag! ;-)

Regardless of Weston's clarification (the cynic in me would think that Lallana WOULD say that to a Saints fan now he's staying), the fact you can only see one point of the Lallana argument speaks volumes.

Prejudices? That's a very strong word to use on an internet forum.

I think 'difference of opinion on whether a player is worth a guaranteed starting place' is a rather more elongated but truer statement.

Ooooh...handbag! ;-)

Regardless of Weston's clarification (the cynic in me would think that Lallana WOULD say that to a Saints fan now he's staying), the fact you can only see one point of the Lallana argument speaks volumes.

I think 'difference of opinion on whether a player is worth a guaranteed starting place' is a rather more elongated but truer statement.

I think this came via AL's own family.

I think you have made your view very clear on may occasions but a lot of people do not agree with you. Just accept it! I like him as a player whilst recognising his faults. Let's see what happens next.....

Ooooh...handbag! ;-)

Prejudice is a strong word I agree, but read your own posts they are incredibly negative......

Ooooh...handbag! ;-)

Prejudice seems to sum up your contribution to this thread rather well I'd say . If you have any real evidence that Adam Lallana refused to play for the team or that he's actively attempting to engineer a move out of the club then I suggest you provide it - otherwise you would be well advised to follow the old English common law tradition of considering a man innocent until proven guilty .

Ron was told this by Lallana's father, there is no question mark against his commitment. One league goal in a year isn't a good return. He has scored three goals this season which isn't bad however our whole season hinges on our performance in the league.

He is being criticised for not playing wide enough and not getting in decent crosses when he is supposed to be the wide man. His delivery from corners is pretty poor, hitting the near post in the last few minutes on Saturday with Jaidi, Trotman and Thomas in for the corner was inexcusable, not even reaching them.

Lallana is putting his own position under threat because dead ball situations realise a high proportion of goals across the leagues but we are poor. Holmes puts in good crosses and dead balls, if he gets into the team it will put Lallana's position in the team in jeopardy, unless he starts to deliver an end product, providing good delivery and scoring more league goals.

Ron was told this by Lallana's father, there is no question mark against his commitment. One league goal in a year isn't a good return. He has scored three goals this season which isn't bad however our whole season hinges on our performance in the league.

He is being criticised for not playing wide enough and not getting in decent crosses when he is supposed to be the wide man. His delivery from corners is pretty poor, hitting the near post in the last few minutes on Saturday with Jaidi, Trotman and Thomas in for the corner was inexcusable, not even reaching them.

Lallana is putting his own position under threat because dead ball situations realise a high proportion of goals across the leagues but we are poor. Holmes puts in good crosses and dead balls, if he gets into the team it will put Lallana's position in the team in jeopardy, unless he starts to deliver an end product, providing good delivery and scoring more league goals.

Agreed - unfortunately because I mentioned the events of this summer (Wotte etc) in one of my posts it allowed others to berate me on that point rather than accepting that I held a different view to theirs re: his performances.

I wish I could have put it as succinctly as Derry above - what has been typed there is a fantastic synopsis of my thoughts.

Can we end the accusations of 'vendettas' now please?

Thats it get behind our boys again,Shelvey isn`t a saints player fact,so best thing to do is get over it and get encouraging who is .

You really are a sad bastard

I don't know who rattled your cage, but in the (mistaken) belief that this was a discussion forum, I answered a question about Shelvey.

However, thank you for your "fact". It did worry me that he was wearing the wrong colour shirt on saturday and I'm sure Delldays thanks you too.

On checking your post history, I hope for Adam's sake, that you are a family member, rather than some kind of stalker.

I don't know who rattled your cage, but in the (mistaken) belief that this was a discussion forum, I answered a question about Shelvey.

However, thank you for your "fact". It did worry me that he was wearing the wrong colour shirt on saturday and I'm sure Delldays thanks you too.

On checking your post history, I hope for Adam's sake, that you are a family member, rather than some kind of stalker.

Just dont like to see a player get continuous slatings on here when he`s not doing that bad god help him when he has a mare,by the way i think you`ll find there is plenty of stalkers in the posters above.

Agreed - unfortunately because I mentioned the events of this summer (Wotte etc) in one of my posts it allowed others to berate me on that point rather than accepting that I held a different view to theirs re: his performances.

I wish I could have put it as succinctly as Derry above - what has been typed there is a fantastic synopsis of my thoughts.

Can we end the accusations of 'vendettas' now please?

Well this is all quite fun! Personally I'd play him on the right and despite asking the question a few times no one has suggested a better alternative - until they do I'll continue to want him in the starting XI. He may not be as good as the hype and he probably shouldn't take corners (that should be a coaching issue though and not a criticism of the player - unless he bullies the other players and they're scared of him).

Besides which I still think he's one of the few players capable of something - granted he doesn't always do it but at least he can try. On the right we've only really got 3 other candidates that I can see - James, Thomson and Waigo. Two of those don't seem to me to offer the same threat and Waigo possibly might but I get the impression he's thought of as more a striker. If Waigo proves to be the man in that position then I'll agree though.

Lallana has been selected for the League One team of the week:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~1797142,00.html

He's also the joint highest scorer for us so far. Not bad for someone who has no end product and doesn't add to the team...

fair play to him..but you say that as if we have been good and banging in the goals..

Lallana has been selected for the League One team of the week:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~1797142,00.html

He's also the joint highest scorer for us so far. Not bad for someone who has no end product and doesn't add to the team...

1st league goal for a year. I wouldn't hurry to canonise him just yet. Pity he didn't get a 2nd near the end, instead of putting a free header back out to the wing,

• 3 weeks later...