Xavi - "i'm Barcelonas Matt Le Tissier"

Saint_clark

"I'll tell you who I used to love watching - Matt Le Tissier. He played for Southampton, a small club with a small stadium. But he would never leave. He wasn't like a typical English player and he would have done well in Spain. He had offers all the time to leave, but he stayed where his heart is."

In the latest edition of 442. Was a nice little surprise when I picked it up. :D

Massive praise for Le Tissier.

Messi and Iniesta got all the praise last season but they wouldn't have got anywhere near the treble without Xavi. He pulls all the strings and makes them play, it's the same with Spain he was the best player at the last Euro's by a long way.

Xavi is the sort of player who could walk into any side in the world, Essien and Iniesta are the only two midfielders close to his level.

Edited by Andy_Porter

"I'll tell you who I used to love watching - Matt Le Tissier. He played for Southampton, a small club with a small stadium. But he would never leave. He wasn't like a typical English player and he would have done well in Spain. He had offers all the time to leave, but he stayed where his heart is."

In the latest edition of 442. Was a nice little surprise when I picked it up. :D

Great praise for a great player from another great player - Although I dispute the small club label!

Xavi/Iniesta/Senna are an awesome midfield for Spain - And not good news for our world cup hopes either !

Great praise for a great player from another great player - Although I dispute the small club label!

Xavi/Iniesta/Senna are an awesome midfield for Spain - And not good news for our world cup hopes either !

Compared to Barcelona we are...plus when MLT was in his prime we were always battling relegation in a 15k stadium so we can't be too harsh on Xavi.

Unlike MLT, Xavi's national side recognise his talents!

I've always thought Xavi was immense as a player the way he stays out of the media and gets on with it and consistantly performs at the highest level never ceases to amaze me. However he couldn't score the same sort of goals that Le Tissier could. But nothing wrong with at least trying.

Great to see Le God get this sort of recognition from top class players who aren't English.

Massive praise for Le Tissier.

Messi and Iniesta got all the praise last season but they wouldn't have got anywhere near the treble without Xavi. He pulls all the strings and makes them play, it's the same with Spain he was the best player at the last Euro's by a long way.

Xavi is the sort of player who could walk into any side in the world, Essien and Iniesta are the only two midfielders close to his level.

I'd lump Fabregas in there too. I think he's possibly better than Iniesta...

Small club? :o Ok fine lol

Le Tissier had genuine opportunities to go to Liverpool, Man United, Spurs and Chelsea during his career and didn't go.

And this is while he was playing for us in perpetual relegation battles in front of 15,000 fans in a toilet stadium.

We're bigger than the league we are in now, in fact we're bigger than most now, but in the terms Xavi is talking about we were/are a small club.

Fair play to him though, high praise indeed.

PS - anyone else see Le Tiss on the Grumpy Old Men Christmas Show last night? LOL.

Well, some would argue that we are a slightly smaller club than Barca.

They'd be wrong but you know how it is...

PS - anyone else see Le Tiss on the Grumpy Old Men Christmas Show last night? LOL.

Yes, I did. I thought to myself that he's not grumpy or old, but it was good to see him. I must be a grumpy old man myself, as I find myself nodding my head at everything they say on that show. ;)

Any link to this article online?

was this on the BBC? doesnt appear to be on iplayer?

It's called Grumpy Christmas or something.

Don't fall over yourself to watch it. I didn't see the whole prog but I think Matty was only on for one spot, saying something about cracker jokes. So you get about a minute of Le Tiss in an hour.

what is WSC ???

When Saturday Comes

The article is complete rubbish though. I think the journalist went straight to the press box, didn't speak to any fans and didn't do any research whatsoever. In short we used to be in the premiership, we should never have left the Dell, now we are in league 1 and everything is a disaster. Apparently our owners must regret splashing out on a carpet with SFC written in it now. Coz, as we know, we are really strapped for cash at the mo.

Xavi is top, top player. When England played Spain in a friendly a couple of years ago he ran the game. Shame England don't have someone like him who just wants the ball all the time.

But, he's only saying what we all know! Matt was proper world class...I know, I saw him play.

Whatevere happened to Javi????

Nothing. I am reading :)

I gave one of my Le Tiss shirt to Xavi on Dec 2nd 2009. Now I just got one left. I already knew a couple of years ago about his admiration for Le Tiss and Cantona. He has mentioned a few times. And Kiko Narváez also admires him, it's a long list of admirers. Why surprised? Delighted.

Feliz Navidad