Bye-bye Dairy Milk

alpine_saint

The products will remain the same, like when Nestle took over Rowntree and MacIntosh. The only thing that will change will be the branding, although I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the Cadbury name for chocolate and Trebor for mints/sweets. Sad that another British institution disappears, none the less.

The products will remain the same, like when Nestle took over Rowntree and MacIntosh. The only thing that will change will be the branding, although I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the Cadbury name for chocolate and Trebor for mints/sweets. Sad that another British institution disappears, none the less.

You tell me where I can buy Toffos and Caramacs then, if you think things stay the same. Oh, and bloody Texan bars.

And I have it on good authority that they screwed up the recipe for Smarties.

To be fair think this is a good thing but only because of where I live, Cadburys have chosen to shut the Keynsham factory with a loss of 600 jobs to the local community, with this deal there is atill a hope it will be kept open.

well that's my thoughts anyway?

Absolutely no chance Kraft would keep the Keynsham factory open. They are just saying it to try and build up support. Look at what they did to the Terry's factory in York.

Likely to be asset-stripping.

F*ck, it finally went through then :(

So the massive pension funds etc. who are Cadbury's investors decide to turn an excellently-run company over to a low-growth peddler of American crap who'll ruin its products, just so they can make a quick buck in the here and now. Hyper-efficient capitalism at work, eh!

From the BBC report :

David Cumming, head of UK equities at Cadbury shareholder Standard Life, said that he would be agreeing, despite hoping for a higher price.

"I won't go against the view of Cadbury's management," he told the BBC.

"Kraft are getting a good deal. It's sad that Cadbury is gone, but business is business."

W*nker.

I think the biggest loss will be how Cadbury treats their workforce along with the great work they do in their community. It is one of the shining examples of how a company should be run. Yes make a profit, but the central theme for Cadbury was George Cadbury’s altruistic belief that his workers deserved respect and a good quality of life.

A sad day indeed.

I think the biggest loss will be how Cadbury treats their workforce along with the great work they do in their community. It is one of the shining examples of how a company should be run. Yes make a profit, but the central theme for Cadbury was George Cadbury’s altruistic belief that his workers deserved respect and a good quality of life.

A sad day indeed.

John Cadbury was a Quaker, and therefore had a modicum of respect for his employees.

I went to the Cadbury factory in Brum once, it was well good. The thing I was impressed with (apart from the chocolate waterfall) was how it started just in a shop, one bloke making chocolate, and how it has become almost a British institution.

And it's now the latest to be sold down the river. It's a shame.

found out something interesting the other day

according to QI, the dye made for the colouring of smarties is made from crushed insects.

hell of a lot of vegetarians that don't know that :wink:

Yup, as a vegie I've avoided it for a long time : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

Us veggies also have to avoid loads of other products made with geletine (e.g. fruit pastilles etc) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatine. Disgusting really when you think about it...

Anyhow, I for one shan't be missing the cheap palm oil, sugar and miniman coco mixture that Cadbury's pass off as chocolate..

Yup, as a vegie I've avoided it for a long time : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

Us veggies also have to avoid loads of other products made with geletine (e.g. fruit pastilles etc) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatine. Disgusting really when you think about it...

Anyhow, I for one shan't be missing the cheap palm oil, sugar and miniman coco mixture that Cadbury's pass off as chocolate..

So whose chocolate do you like then ?

Belgian, French, Austrian, Swiss and American chocolate are sh*t. Higher coco solids doesnt mean a tastier product.

So whose chocolate do you like then ?

Belgian, French, Austrian, Swiss and American chocolate are sh*t. Higher coco solids doesnt mean a tastier product.

On a personal taste preference Alps I'd choose a high quality dark chocolate over anything Cadbury's (or Hershey's) make. Country is irrelevent, as I'm sure each western country has plenty of very high quality chocolatiers...

A higher percentage of chocolate solid's doesn't make for a better taste (too much and it will be far too bitter). However, subsituting cocoa butter for (cheaper) palm oil (or other vegetable oil) will always make your product taste worse. Subsituting quality for polyglycerol polyricinoleate is not an acceptable way to make chocolate IMHO.

I've always been quite fond of Milka and just realised that is made by Krafts.....

Milka is sh*te. My wife eats is by the truckful. Tasteless sickly sweet sh*t. And, as you said, its made by Kraft already.

The only good think about Milka ? The inflatable purple cows used to sponsor World Cup ski races.

Talking of Chocolate, Montezumas are made locally (http://www.montezumas.co.uk/), just outside Chichester.

They do a Chilli and Lime Chocolate....sounds absolutely disgusting, but I have to say it was an incredible taste bud sensation.

Chili and chocolate go very well together. South American cooking recipes have being using both together for centuries.

The most ridiculous thing about the whole Cadbury takeover, was that they were perfectly capable of taking over other companies themselves, including Kraft. But like a true British company they keeled over and waited for the inevitable. A good British company, in all other aspects, will now turn into part of a company that makes downgrade cheese and chocolate products. It won't make any difference to me, as I don't eat enough chocolate nowadays to bother with the mainstream stuff. But it's a bloody shame all the same.

If they touch Dairy Milk there will be hell to pay in our house, seriously. The carp they have in America under the Cadburys name is shocking, they won't touch it for a while but like Alps says in time it will all become homogenous rubbish. Its a sad day indeed.

Yes, it tastes of ****...'Cadbury's' here is/was made by Hersheys I think. Only the Creme Eggs escaped and were genuine imports...but that's only every Easter.

They won't **** around with the recipes, they'll lose too much...far more than they save in cost cutting IMO.

An interesting point raised by Nick Clegg at PMQs. RBS, a British taxpayer owned bank, is lending Kraft the money to takeover Cadburys, which could put British jobs at risk.

Not sure how I feel about the government politicising the banks, mind.

It's only ****ing chocolate, FFS! Christ on a bike!! I can understand the split arses getting upset about it, but fellas, really, it's pansy fodder? Now if Fullers went into foreign ownership that would be different........

Wow, you're such a hard blerk...

"split arse" - heheheheh