• Hotel
    • Indoor Ski Slope
    • Monorail
    • Petting zoo
    • MASSIVE Wetherspoons
    • Argos
    • The original Ted Bates statue
    • Rollercoasters

Nicola Cortese was saying on the TV today that we are possibly looking at moving away from St Mary's to a bigger stadium.

Blimey I almost fell off my chair, I love the plans they have for us and I sure am going to enjoy this journey.

My question is where?

And do we turn St Mary's into the training ground?

Nicola Cortese was saying on the TV today that we are possibly looking at moving away from St Mary's to a bigger stadium.

Blimey I almost fell off my chair, I love the plans they have for us and I sure am going to enjoy this journey.

My question is where?

Why turn St Mary's into a training ground if we are improving Staplewood? Sell St Marys off, build at Stoneham Lane.

I think we might have to wait 24 hrs to find out more.

solentsport #Saintsfc chairman Nicola Cortese gives BBC Solent some interesting answers to listeners' questions. Hear the results tomorrow from 2pm.

It still won't be April 1st in 24 hours though ? :confused: :o :)

NC might be carried away with the demand for Wembley tickets. What he needs to consider is that a bigger stadium is only needed if we think we would sell out for say playing Wigan at home in the Prem.

It's great to be mortgage free and I hate us to lose this status. Considering how much money new stadia cost even Markus could not/would not use his own money to fund a new ground so it would have to be financed via bank loans and I would prefer us to spend the money it would cost pay off the mortgage each year on new players rather than a white elephant that would allow our players to play in front of 15k empty seats for all but a handful of games every season.

NC might be carried away with the demand for Wembley tickets. What he needs to consider is that a bigger stadium is only needed if we think we would sell out for say playing Wigan at home in the Prem.

It's great to be mortgage free and I hate us to lose this status. Considering how much money new stadia cost even Markus could not/would not use his own money to fund a new ground so it would have to be financed via bank loans and I would prefer us to spend the money it would cost pay off the mortgage each year on new players rather than a white elephant that would allow our players to play in front of 15k empty seats for all but a handful of games every season.

I don't know perhaps they think St Mary's is a bit of a dump (not the stadium but the surrounding area) Pity we can't all hear this latest media bite from Cortese so that we can hear what it's all about.

My question is where?

Rent it to poopey?

NC needs to chill the **** out! he is talking crazy imo

Good to hear these plans though, shows massive ambition from him and ML.

These are exciting times for us all.....jump on board the express train to fun times

Choo choo

I'd like a one way ticket to fun times please.

This just gets better and better.

Has this been taken out of context?

If he was serious then that's disappointing and a bit of a worry.

It's an indication that Cortese is starting to let his ambition run away with him - this is what gets football clubs into trouble!

I love SMS, it's a cracking stadium and us fans have grown into it - you don't hear many people talk about The Dell anymore

If they have major ambitions, then buy the the surrounding industrial estate and the gasheads. Once they are safe to pull down the whole land will be quite extensive

It's an indication that Cortese is starting to let his ambition run away with him - this is what gets football clubs into trouble!

I love SMS, it's a cracking stadium and us fans have grown into it - you don't hear many people talk about The Dell anymore

If they have major ambitions, then buy the the surrounding industrial estate and the gasheads. Once they are safe to pull down the whole land will be quite extensive

This would be more ambitious and more appealing at the same time for me.

I'd hate the thought of moving ground ffs. We have a ground in the part of our City we started out at. Imagine a souless out of town ground off the motorway, like Bolton's and Coventry's. This has to be a joke.

wowzers..

if they are looking at possibilities of moving then they want to have other facilities that SMS cant provide...

as for the sizeo of the ground..when we were half decent in the prem, we sold out nearly every week..

Exactly, if we can do that when we are fighting relegation in the Prem then being a top 10 side will see us selling 40k+ easily.

Are the gasometers not listed or something like that. I thought we couldn't get them pulled down.

I'd hate the thought of moving ground ffs. We have a ground in the part of our City we started out at. Imagine a souless out of town ground off the motorway, like Bolton's and Coventry's. This has to be a joke.

I do like the location we are in, but maybe there is somewhere in the city he is looking at?

That would indeed be an absolute disaster, a nightmare, and a load of sh!t.

Doubt it, I presume the owner wants a state of the art affair with shopping malls, leisure facilities and all that, which we'll never get at St Mary's it's too scruffy.

ok, own up, who asked 'when will you move us to a state of the art stadium befitting of the club. We're far too good for this sh1t hole'

Lol! I suspect it was in answer to a question about whether we were looking into expanding the stadium once we returned to the Premier League and I don't really think he would have said once we get there, we will abandon St Mary's and build a new stadium. However if the requirement is there, we will look at the most cost affective way of of increasing the capacity and that would not rule out moving to a larger stadium.

You could well be correct, I think our optimum may well be around 35k, really not a great deal of value if that turns out to be the case. I really doubt the cost of an extra 8000 seats at St Marys would be cost effective, something like 3 times the cost of the original seats. That just does not square when you can raise ticket prices a marginal amount and arrive at the same figure!

You can get some very good predictions of Premier take up by looking at crowds with success in League 1, CCC and comparing what happened last time in the Premier.

I do like the location we are in, but maybe there is somewhere in the city he is looking at?

I would be sad to leave SMS (cant see it myself) but I was also sad when we left The Dell...

IF we moved..then it would probably be for something pretty special...and it would have to be to be better than SMS

I would be sad to leave SMS (cant see it myself) but I was also sad when we left The Dell...

IF we moved..then it would probably be for something pretty special...and it would have to be to be better than SMS

Maybe they're thinking of buying the Guildhall? :D

Our stadium is perfect as it is. Location, size, etc. As already said, it's our home now. How can anyone seriously think moving is a good idea!

Ah, I see what he's done there.

Very clever, and yep a good idea.

Wonder if it will work.

Ok, you've lost me now, do explain....

And, as far as i'm concerned, to be mooting the idea of leaving a UEFA 4 Star standard stadium while we are at third teir level is rediculous.

This would be awesome. It would be great to have a unique stadium with it's own design like the Emirates or new Spurs stadium (if ever built).

Remember in the prem we were selling out 32k weekly for all the teams only 5 years ago. If we ever get to the prem and are challenging for euro places regularly there is no reason we couldn't get to 40-50k regularly.

Well anything out of the city, regardless of size, amount of amenities etc, would be worse full stop.

And that's coming from someone who doesn't even live in Soton.

well..that is your opinion..

I cant see them moving the team away..but if they did..eastleigh would be perfect...they could add all sort of other facilities to the site that would not be viable where it is now.

so, how do you go about getting a stadium built in eastleigh...:cool:

Doubt it, I presume the owner wants a state of the art affair with shopping malls, leisure facilities and all that, which we'll never get at St Mary's it's too scruffy.

A Conference Centre maybe and I dare say they want somewhere with loads of parking, which can also be used as a park and ride/market etc. like the Madejski, which gives extra revenue streams outside of matchdays.

Any move to the middle of nowhere with no decent pubs nearby would be a load of crap.

Coventry is one of the worst places to go and watch football, and the new Colchester ground is in the middle of nowhere. Days out at Reading are ruined by the location of the Madejski.

A Conference Centre maybe and I dare say they want somewhere with loads of parking, which can also be used as a park and ride/market etc. like the Madejski, which gives extra revenue streams outside of matchdays.

also a hotel......maybe near the airport..it would on the edge of southampton....and near pompey..with london 70-odd miles away

This will be the intention no doubt. But I think it would be hard to get planning permission for land elsewhere.

On the recent 'expand the Kingsland' thread, didn't somebody point out that the additional 8000 seats would cost over £3k each (i.e. upwards of £24m for a 40k seater stadium. How much would it cost to expand even further, to 50k say? As this wasn't in the original plans, surely this would cost even more than £3k per seat.

If 50K capacity or more is the ambition, might it not actually be cheaper to start from scratch rather than expand?

Edited by Joensuu