Best Signing

paulwantsapint

Every manager has at least 1 good signing

Sir Father Ted Bates - Terry Paine

L McMenemy - To Hard really but Kevin Keegan massive signing

C Nicholl - Tim Flowers great keeper

I Branfoot - Ken Monkou quality cb

A Ball - Jim Magilton no frills players who done a job well

D Merrington - any of his youth players - as manager Neil Moss 2nd choice keeper

G Souness - Claus Lundekvam as the song said ' our Claus in the middle of defence '

D Jones - difficult Beattie, Pahars, Richards - Beattie probably just shades it.

G Hoddle -Tahar if only for that tackle

S Gray - short time lots of players Andres Svensen top mf scorer

G Strachan - difficult Niemi , Killer - Killer best defender I've ever scene for Saints

P Sturrock - Short time lots of players - Peter Crouch goals nearly kept us up

S Wigley - Kasey Keller well he helped us beat the Skates

H Redknapp - Ricardo Fuller?

G Burley - Kelvin Davis top keeper for last 2 seasons

N Pearson - Chris Perry added experience to defence

J Poortveilt - Spiderman how did such crap find such a good young player

M Wotte - did he sign anyone?

A Pardew - Difficult loads of players - but Rickie Lambert Goal Machine

Have I missed out a manager from last 55 years

Davis was a crap signing, but I'm struggling to think of anyone better which is pretty shocking.

Pearsons has to be Richard Wright IMO

Poortvillet didn't really sign Schneiderlin he was reccomended to Lowe by Prost and he signed him up.

Mark Wotte - JP Size

Pardew - Harding imo, what a bargain.

Davis was a crap signing, but I'm struggling to think of anyone better which is pretty shocking.

Poortvillet didn't really sign Schneiderlin he was reccomended to Lowe by Prost and he signed him up.

Mark Wotte - JP Size

Harding over Lambert? Don't think so.

Excellent thread.

Didnt realise just how well Dave Jones did in the transfer market, and how poorly Burley did. Had to laugh about Tahar

Agree that is hard to credit Schneiderlin to Poortvillet.

Although to be fair Rasiak was one of GB better ones...only for him to be stuck on the bench after reaching 21 goals :rolleyes:

Surely Pahars has to be Dave Jones best signing as good as Beatts and Richards were ?

KK is the obvious LM signing and he certainly generated more interest than any other signing in our history I would feel pretty safe in saying. However, for me it would be Bally, particularly first time around and Phil Boyer. No question in my mind that without these 2 we would not have got promoted in 1977/78 and that of course paved the way for signing players like KK, Golac, Shilts and Mark Wright.

Colin Clarke was an excellent signing for Chris Nichol and last but not least Ron Davies for me as Ted Bates best signing.

Poortaloo didn't find Schneiderlin, Prost did. Not many candidates for JP. Holmes, Wotton, Pulis, Forecast, Molyneux... it hard to guess which ones were him and which were Lowe.

WTF signed Saeijs and took Murty on trial. Given Murty's injury problems, JPS has to be the better signing.

Rasiak was Burley's best signing IMO. Too bad he never used him properly.

Redknapp had Camara on loan. The best permanent signing was Belmadi IMO.

Looking back on it Dave Jones made some damn decent signings for us, Beatts, Pahars, Richards, Kachloul, Marsden. Even Jo Tessem had a very good first full season here.

Probably worth noting that Rupert Lowe was responsible for the signings of Crouch and Niemi.

D Merrington - any of his youth players - as manager Neil Moss 2nd choice keeper

G Souness - Claus Lundekvam as the song said ' our Claus in the middle of defence '

D Jones - difficult Beattie, Pahars, Richards - Beattie probably just shades it.

G Strachan - difficult Niemi , Killer - Killer best defender I've ever scene for Saints

Did'nt Harry buy Peter Crouch?

if so I would say that Crouchy was his best signing. Played well for us and his career was re- vitalised.

Nope - Sturrock. Saggy gave him his debut though against Middlesbrough - MOM.

Played long before the Boro game. Scored in the third game of the season in a 2-1 home defeat to Bolton. Might have played in the first 2 games too.

Lawrie Mac had some good signings but I think Alan Ball was his best

Great thread. Just a few changes.

Sir Father Ted Bates - Big Ron

L McMenemy - Psycho

C Nicholl - Did he sign Jimmy Case?

D Jones - Marian

S Gray - Svennson, A

G Strachan - Killer

P Sturrock - Crouch

N Pearson - Stern John

M Wotte - He signed off with dignity

A Pardew - Lambo - easy!!

Oh and two best 'Bang for the buck' signings ever are Big Ron and Psycho - the 85 grand we ever spent!! (In my very humble opinion that is)

Edited by TijuanaTim

interesting thread Paul, BUT to be fair, you can't put Ted and Lawrie in the same category, as some of their successors. Ted was boss for 18 years and Lawrie 13... of the rest only DJ and WGS had more than about 2-3 seasons.

For Ted..TP has to be the best (along with John Sydenham) in the Div2 days. After 1966 promotion undoubtedly, without Ron Davies we would have been down the first year. As it was, after Davies finally left, we did get relegated.

One word has to be said about Mick Channons "unorthodox" signing but he was certainly our best player for 6-7 years after Paine and Davies went.

AS for Lawrie McMenemy...Apart from signing more than half a dozen England players, it's difficult to pinpoint more than a dozen others who were as good. There was a lot of media hype around KK signing, but he only stayed 2 seasons and therefore I rate Peter Shilton's 5 years stay (242 games) as a better signing. With 49 caps at Saints, he was No.1 England keeper the whole time.

Jimmy Case was LM last signing but made as big a contribution to Chris Nicholls sides as anyone that CN signed himself.

On a personal level, I liked Ivan Golac who I thought was the most entertaining defender we ever had, and would even bring those in the stands to their feet when he went on the attack.(** At the DELL, there were barely 6000 seated in the stands - the rest of us STOOD on the terraces.)

I wouldn't argue with most of the rest you chose though I thought DJ made some very good buys which didn't always show in the results. WGS was worth the job just for signing Michael Svensson and Antti Niemi.

Its too soon to judge AP's new boys, Lambert is superb, Harding and Hammond too but surely Forte is one of the safest CH we've had in a decade, and we haven't seen the best of Puncheon yet either.

The only real question is ..having set the standard now, who will we have as new signings NEXT SEASON ...can't wait:smt031

Edited by david in sweden

Great thread. Just a few changes.

Sir Father Ted Bates - Big Ron

L McMenemy - Psycho

C Nicholl - Did he sign Jimmy Case?

D Jones - Marian

S Gray - Svennson, A

G Strachan - Killer

P Sturrock - Crouch

N Pearson - Stern John

M Wotte - He signed off with dignity

A Pardew - Lambo - easy!!

Oh and two best 'Bang for the buck' signings ever are Big Ron and Psycho - the 85 grand we ever spent!! (In my very humble opinion that is)

nigel pearson didnt buy stern john

Lambert was great business, but for me the best signing so far by Pards is Puncheon. He looks like the real deal and, from a team perspective, he gives us so much. Is it any surprise that we've started ripping teams apart since he arrived?

Bear in mind he was around £200k.

and Davies went.

AS for Lawrie McMenemy...Apart from signing more than half a dozen England players, it's difficult to pinpoint more than a dozen others who were as good. There was a lot of media hype around KK signing, but he only stayed 2 seasons and therefore I rate Peter Shilton's 5 years stay (242 games) as a better signing. With 49 caps at Saints, he was No.1 England keeper the whole time.

Jimmy Case was LM last signing but On a personal level, I liked Ivan Golac who I thought was the most entertaining defender we ever had,

Well even if was "only" a dozen others it is still pretty impressive. A fairly accurate list of notable LM signings I think :

David Peach

Peter Osgood

Mel Blyth

Jim McCalliog

Peter Rodrigues- So there are 5 of the FA Cup winning side for starters

Ted McDougall

Alan Ball

Chris Nichol

Mick Pickering

Phil Boyer- 5 more along with Peach instrumental in our 1977/78 promotion success

Terry Curran

Ivan Golac

Charlie George

Mick Channon ( returned in 1979)

Dave Watson

Peter Shilton

Kevin Keegan

Alan Ball ( for a 2nd time)

David Armstrong

Mark Wright

Mick Mills

Frank Worthington

Joe Jordan

Mark Dennis

Alan Curtis

Jimmy Case

I would say that without any doubt that is an incredible list of signings by an standards!

I'd quite forgotten some of those but having seen most of them play, I'd have to say its REALLY impressive. The likes of Osgood, Charlie George, Dave Watson, Rodrigues, Jordan and Worthington looked good on the team sheet and must have been a tremendous encouragement to youngsters in the side - but to be fair most of them had better days behind them.

For purely inspirational signings ...you have to say KK and Peter Shilton.

Mc D and Boyer were always a threat together ..and having got one, he eventually had to sign the other.

But for me, the best of the rest were; Peach, Nicholl, Golac, Mark Wright, David Armstrong

Perhaps one of the most influential signings was seen AFTER LM left, that was the signing of Jimmy Case.[/

Jimmy was the best man in Chris Nicholl's side every season for more than 6 years after.

Edited by david in sweden

Excellent thread.

Didnt realise just how well Dave Jones did in the transfer market, and how poorly Burley did. Had to laugh about Tahar

Agree that is hard to credit Schneiderlin to Poortvillet.

Totally agree, just another sad epitaph on the blithering idiots CV - All his best players were already at the club ( Bale, Baird, Jones) etc, and apart from Kelvin and perhaps Rasiak who are/were decent for us, the rest of the £7million he spent was just pizzed up against the wall!

Compare his signings with Ted's, Lawrie's, Jones' and Pards' whose choices were considerably better to put it mildly.

Would credit Hoddle with Petrescu and Souness with Kevin Davies though, and Micky Evans did well for Merry Dave!

Played long before the Boro game. Scored in the third game of the season in a 2-1 home defeat to Bolton. Might have played in the first 2 games too.

Came on as sub in the season opening debacle at Villa :

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=428553

Southampton: Niemi ,Dodd ,Lundekvam ,Higginbotham ,Le Saux ,Fernandes ,Prutton ,Folly (Delap ,45 ) ,Nilsson (Anders Svensson ,45 ) ,Phillips ,Ormerod (Crouch ,68 )

Subs not used Smith,Kenton,

THAT TEAM HAS NO MIDFIELD !!!! At least he took the right two off...

Lambert was great business, but for me the best signing so far by Pards is Puncheon. He looks like the real deal and, from a team perspective, he gives us so much. Is it any surprise that we've started ripping teams apart since he arrived?

Bear in mind he was around £200k.

Can't argue with that, but then he was MK Dons' only decent player in the first leg at theirs too, it didn't take a great manager to spot him !

What stands out for me is how few good players Harry and Burley signed, and they probably changed 40 or so players in their time with us .

Burley had £7m to spend, when you think of what he did with it , it is truly,truly shocking.

In contrast ,Pardew on the other hand has spent very well ( so far )

A good read, but Lawrie Mac's best signing deserves a thread of it's own. KK obviously was the most exciting, but arguments could be made for Dave Watson, Chris Nichol, David Peach, Phil Boyer, Peter Shilton, Ivan Golac, Peter Osgood,and Alan Ball, all for various reasons.

Ditto. Generally Mr Reliable. It is natural that the goal scorers will get the glory, but for me Harding was a very astute bit of business and I would put him right up there as player of the season.

Personally I think you can give the title Mr Reliable to Lambert too. Of course as a goal scorer he is going to get the headlines but he's played pretty much every game and always gives 100%. I think he's Pardew's best signing because I can't see anyone who is more important to Saints at the moment. He may have cost a lot in relative terms but I'm sure he's going to pay it back and become a hero in the process.

Mark Wotte - JP Size

AP's best signing may turn out to be Fonte - time will tell.