Cats

CB Saint

Get a fox :)

Funnily enough, we used to have one of those in the area. Mangey looking thing with a tendancy to cr4p in my porch. Haven't seen it for a while and to be honest, having got used to a cr4p free porch, I rather not see him again.

Funnily enough, we used to have one of those in the area. Mangey looking thing with a tendancy to cr4p in my porch. Haven't seen it for a while and to be honest, having got used to a cr4p free porch, I rather not see him again.

I remember that.

My parents have these detectors that emit a noise that cats don't like - it does work as they're had them for years without having to pick up cat mess. I can't remember what they are called but the principle is the same as the Mosquito device for pesky kids.

I have a similar thing to discourage the moles. The mole ones certainly don;t bother the cats. In fact I am not certain they bother the moles that much. The day after I first installed them a mole hill appeared not six inches away from the noise thing.

I am not at one with nature

Theres some stuff called Lions Roar, you can get it in garden centres. Its dried lion ****. A domestic cat wont go near it, and no, we cant smell it. My mate in hedge end swears by it, he had a real problem with his neighbours cats wrecking his garden.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
I have a similar thing to discourage the moles. The mole ones certainly don;t bother the cats. In fact I am not certain they bother the moles that much. The day after I first installed them a mole hill appeared not six inches away from the noise thing.

I am not at one with nature

My parents had dreadful mole trouble in their house in France. They tried everything on the market, sonic disruptors, smoke bombs, windmills. Nothing worked; the garden looked like the Somme on a bad day. We even tried a shotgun to scare them. The trees took it badly, the moles just continued with their digging, crapping and general bad behaviour.

My parents had dreadful mole trouble in their house in France. They tried everything on the market, sonic disruptors, smoke bombs, windmills. Nothing worked; the garden looked like the Somme on a bad day. We even tried a shotgun to scare them. The trees took it badly, the moles just continued with their digging, crapping and general bad behaviour.

It's getting close to "mole season" now. Trouble is, it starts to become obessive. I get more and more angry as the army of moles excavate my lawn until I turn into that Bill Murray character from caddyshack. Even if you do manage to kill them (I waive any non-lethal criteria when it comes to moles) the s0ds from next door move into the tunnel complex.

Theres some stuff called Lions Roar, you can get it in garden centres. Its dried lion ****. A domestic cat wont go near it, and no, we cant smell it. My mate in hedge end swears by it, he had a real problem with his neighbours cats wrecking his garden.

This could work - just looked it up.

BTW it's Silent Roar. Lions Roar is a Millwall fanzine but I can understand the confusion - it full of sh*t too;)

Does it have to be dried or can I just swing by Marwell and ask them for a bucketful?

The ultrasonic cat scarers ( eg http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=ultrasonic+cat+repellent ) do seem to work, with two problems I have found though:

- if you live in a particularly cat infested area like me then the batteries only seem to last a couple of months - so I buy the batteries in bulk eg http://www.battery-force.co.uk/category-9V-9V_Batteries.html

- they only detect cats passing through the horizontal plane that the device is mounted at, so if you have one mounted on your lawn then it should keep them off of your lawn, but if the cats can get from fence to tree to birds without touching your lawn, then you'll want another one mounted up at fence level or some other method to keep them out. Emptying a bucket of water at them whilst they're perched on the fence seems to persuade them not to return for a while, allegedly.

This site has some more 'creative' ideas:

http://tinyurl.com/ybm4z7s

BTW it's Silent Roar. Lions Roar is a Millwall fanzine but I can understand the confusion - it full of sh*t too;)

Does it have to be dried or can I just swing by Marwell and ask them for a bucketful?

Was about to order some and saw this review, hmm...

The local critters just seemed to find the 'fact' that there was a bigger cat on the block a challenge to their territory. Consequently they dumped with even more regularity.

I have 2 cats myself and if they are ever doing something I dont want them to do' date=' I just squirt them with water! They soon learn not to bother doing it anymore![/quote']

I get the whole "soak the cat negative reinforcement" thing. The only drawback is that I have to hang around all day waiting for them to turn up to be negatively reinforced. I think I need a more passive measure.

I am ****ing sick of clearing cat **** out of the garden for half the weekend. I intend to collect it all in a big bucket and dump it all on the doorstep of a cat owning neighbour. The ultrasonic things didn't do a thing for us and it's not possible to spend 24 hours watching the garden with a hose in your hand.

Cat **** is very toxic as well, so especially dangerous if you've got small kids who want to play in the garden. I used to like cats, now I ****ing hate them.

I was told citrus fruit was good to keep cats away - how true it is I don't know, although having a garden full of rotting fruit will not be nice to look at!

Cats hate the smell of citrus fruit. When I peel an orange and offer it to them, they pull a face and back up.

I know someone who owned a cat but wanted to stop it scratching at their bedroom door to get in at first light. They left orange peel at the door to keep it away.

It worked, temporarily - until the cat got bored of chewing the peel and scratched at their bedroom door to get in.

Very pleased to report that there is now one very wet cat in the neighbourhood. Little git came in range of me and a bucket of water. Sucks to be him right now.

Little victories.

It should count itself lucky. I was once working in the garden whilst my wife was upstairs ironing. She emptied the contents of the steam iron over me. Luckily she didn't drop it.

I stand corrected, nice one :D and I assume its dried because if it was just a bucket of lion carp it would smell worse than the cats.

just noticed 2nd post, I will ask keith if it still works. He doesnt like to spend money, so if he's still buying it........

Edited by scotty
woke up

six foot wall around garden with 18in of steel wire mesh at right angles on top. Keeps our British short hair in and all other Cats out!,,,,,simples;)

I've just noticed your location. If I lived there I would have the same and it would be to keep the cats out!

Right, so you are in prison, figures. :D

Jillyanne,,,,you little minx its not as bad as it sounds. the netting has Passion flower lightly entwined thuw it and a string of 60 BC colored lights on the edge, Very affective when switched on for BBQs in the summer,

Jilly your Bengals would love it:cool:

There are certain odours that cats don't like. I do know that bleach is one but you can't put that on the garden. Certain plants attract them and others repell them.

Take a look at what this dame does with her Chiquita pussy. Brilliant idea.

http://www.youtube.com/user/landaloup#p/a/u/2/KtL8Yh1FY5s

I don't think Cat nip is going acheive the desire cat free result. The last thing I need is a garden full of stoned moggies. They would probably get the munchies and eat the dafodils. It just wouldn't do.

However on the subject of plants - which ones do cats really hate?. Any suggestions? Idealy they will be nice to look at and not make the garden unihabitable to humans.

I don't think Cat nip is going acheive the desire cat free result. The last thing I need is a garden full of stoned moggies. They would probably get the munchies and eat the dafodils. It just wouldn't do.

However on the subject of plants - which ones do cats really hate?. Any suggestions? Idealy they will be nice to look at and not make the garden unihabitable to humans.

Try a google search using the following "natural cat repellent plants".

Plenty of replies to think about.

Get yourself a garden full of Cacti.

Pretty sure the little feckers will not enjoy their visits then, might even **** the moles off too.

Catch a cat as it is sh*tting in your garden and then make an example of it. Tie it to some kind of frame and leave it out for other cats to see. They won't even dare coming into your garden again. Let the cat die, slowly, out in the garden. Maybe go out there and make a point of slashing it up a bit or ripping out it's claws in front of other cats. Then, when it dies, cut its head off, stick it on a pole and wait for the next one to come along. Then do the same thing. I have only had to do this once, because after the neighbourhood cats had seen what happened to the one I caught, they never bothered me again - just be prepared to be patient as you might need to nail 2 or 3 of them up.

Catch a cat as it is sh*tting in your garden and then make an example of it. Tie it to some kind of frame and leave it out for other cats to see. They won't even dare coming into your garden again. Let the cat die, slowly, out in the garden. Maybe go out there and make a point of slashing it up a bit or ripping out it's claws in front of other cats. Then, when it dies, cut its head off, stick it on a pole and wait for the next one to come along. Then do the same thing. I have only had to do this once, because after the neighbourhood cats had seen what happened to the one I caught, they never bothered me again - just be prepared to be patient as you might need to nail 2 or 3 of them up.

I did that to some neighbours who kept using my back garden as a short-cut to the shops. Eventually it worked after 3 or 4 examples.

I'm up for parole in 2050.