Lambert & England

Tac-tics

What division was Steve Bull playing in when he went to Italia 90?

The old Division two or the current champsionship and his England career was long and distiguished wasn't it. Dont be so ridiculous, Lambert may be good at this level or the one above but would you seriously have him playing for England ahead of even this likes of Carlton Cole?

The old Division two or the current champsionship and his England career was long and distiguished wasn't it. Dont be so ridiculous, Lambert may be good at this level or the one above but would you seriously have him playing for England ahead of even this likes of Carlton Cole?[/quote

Be honest he's not good enough - no way!

:D

I hope you are joking.

A player of 28 years old that has never played above the 3rd Tier of English football.

Name some weirder things that have happened in football?

Jeff thomas, Keith Curle, andy Sinton and carlton Palmer all being in the same England squad.

All top flight players from a relatively poor pool of English players compared to the current generation.

relatively poor from any generation of players, Keith Curle and Geoff Thomas in particular where particularly appalling. Some people seriously though we'd win Sweden 92, is it any wonder we only scored once and didn't win a game.

A 17 year old kid who had never played in top flight being picked for the England world cup squad?

Think you're right though, a third division striker unproven at any level higher than that league playing in a world cup for a supposed top football nation would be particularly bizarre.

I actually think that he would be a great target man and could do the business. It might be different in another area of the park, but for that role I think he could do it and be better (i.e. score more) than Heskey. However, to do this he would need to be in the thoughts of a Prem or CCC club and we don't want that just yet do we?

Have to agree with most. I (like most saints fans) adore the guy. But he is not of an International standard, certainly not for England.

He is however a class above most at our level, and I sincerely hope we hang onto him for the near future. Can see us through League 1, the Championship and perhaps in desperation lower league Prem (if Steve Howard got a Premiership goal see no reason why Rickie Couldnt).

Have to agree with what was said above, it's embarrassing to think our fans would genuinely entertain the idea.

All top flight players from a relatively poor pool of English players compared to the current generation.

Steve Bull was first called up to England squad whilst a 3rd Div player and can't say the pool of players in 88-90 was poor considering we were a penalty shoot out away from the World Cup Final.

as per Wiki: While still playing in the Third Division, he was selected for the England team and scored on his debut against Scotland at Hampden Park.

Jeff thomas, Keith Curle, andy Sinton and carlton Palmer all being in the same England squad.

Wasn't that the golden era in which we went out in the first round of the Euros then failed to qualify for the world cup?

(which I believe is the point you are making, just seen your next post)

Guys...this is embarrassing

Having the username of a player that plays for a different club is embarrassing. Do you glow red every time you post?

I think the general gist of this thread is due to Lambert being the top scorer in this country, once Rooney is taken out of the equation. And that would be right. Cappello has always said he'd pick the team on form, again, Lambert would fit the bill. However, it is a massive leap of faith, ney, a cavern to leap over if you were to think Cappello were to pick Lambert for the World cup 'if' Rooney couldn't go. But I'll tell you something, seeing what we see week in week out, I'd choose Lambert over Heskey and Carlton Cole, probably over Darren Bent as well, due to Bent just not doing it for England.

Will it happen? Of course not, but, it should.

Having the username of a player that plays for a different club is embarrassing. Do you glow red every time you post?

I think the general gist of this thread is due to Lambert being the top scorer in this country, once Rooney is taken out of the equation. And that would be right. Cappello has always said he'd pick the team on form, again, Lambert would fit the bill. However, it is a massive leap of faith, ney, a cavern to leap over if you were to think Cappello were to pick Lambert for the World cup 'if' Rooney couldn't go. But I'll tell you something, seeing what we see week in week out, I'd choose Lambert over Heskey and Carlton Cole, probably over Darren Bent as well, due to Bent just not doing it for England.

Will it happen? Of course not, but, it should.

Why should it? Billy Sharp has started banging them in recently in the CCC, should he be calld up too? What about Pitman for Bournemouth he has had a good season? Do you you seriously think if David Beckham, a player who has played for three of the worlds biggest clubs, won every domestic trophy there is to win and over 100 England caps, was told to play in on of the top European leagues or he wouldn't be picked then a league one striker is going to be on Capellos thoughts?

Wouldn't be realistic, but then again Sven picked Theo. Let's have a dream, it doesn't do anyone any harm.

Come to think of it, the best scoring Belgian side at the moment plays in the 4th local regional league (the lowest you can think of) with over 150 goals and 3 strikers sharing 100 of them :).

With Cashley injured and Bridge ruling himself out, they should give Harding a look! ;-)

With all john Terrys problems off the field how about giving Chris Perry a go at Centre back? His experience could prove vital in a world cup semi final.

Spuds to be the new West Ham?

We could do a lot worse than Dawson/King/Huddlestone/Jenas/Lennon/Crouch/Defoe (tho obviously not all at the same time). You have to hand it to sack face - give him a cheque book and he seems to deliver.

smal point but only two of those players were Redknapp signings.

Makes you wonder though doesn't it, if Lowe had not been such a tightarse and let Redknapp sign who he wanted then i think he would have kept us up. It waas obvious that team wasn't good enough from the first day of the season.

If Lambert was Scottish, Welsh or had a grandmother from Trinidad and Tabago he'd have a chance at an international carerer but he is English so he has got no chance. Quite honestly with the summer coming up it's about time we started telling the world how awful he is so no one wants him.;)

I love Lambert but sorry - there's absolutely no chance of an international call up - he may be able to do it a lg1 level but he would get absolutely nothing out of international defences.

That said, I suspect he might be able to do a job for a lower premiership team especially as he takes a mean penalty - he wasn't out of his depth against pompey after all.

It would never ever happen. But I think he might actually be good enough. Comparable to Heskey or Cole anyway, if not better. Rather he just stay with us and hit 30 a season for the next few years though.

Maybe he'll be 30, in the top flight with us, scoring freely, and get a Euro 2012 place. Stranger things than that have happened.

No no no no no no no no no no no no.

I can't believe we are all having this conversation again.

Ricky Lambert is a Saints football genius, but he is NOT better than Carlton Cole.

Madness.

In FourFourTwo this month, Rickie is rated as the 30th best player in the Football League (i.e. discounting the Premiership). I think that's a bit harsh - possibly has a case for being in the top ten and certainly in the top 20.

But he's nowhere near England quality. Maybe about 15th chocie striker - and there aren't that many injuries!

I think had he scored the same number of goals at CCC level and bagged a load against Prem teams in a couple of cup runs there may be some millage in this, but 30 odd goals at League 1 and nearly 30 years old I will be suprised if he ever gets anywhere near an england shirt in the rest of his career.

No no no no no no no no no no no no.

I can't believe we are all having this conversation again.

Ricky Lambert is a Saints football genius, but he is NOT better than Carlton Cole.

Although I dont disagree, I cant see Carlton Cole bagging 30+ goals at league 1 level.

Cant see Lambert bagging 20+ goals at Prem level either mind but I suppose that shows the level they both shine at.