Do we really deserve to get promoted...?

david in sweden

most of the stats. seem to indicate that we do:smt113.

We are 2nd behind Norwich for goals scored 78 (Norwich 84)

.................................and for GD. Saints +36 (Norwich +39)

Only Swindon (7) have lost less games..Saints lost 8..(but twice to Swindon).

we have 3rd best defence . conceded 42 (Millwall 38, Leeds 41)

our 21 wins is the same as the current 4, 5 and 6 in the table.

Results give us 76 points from games played, which would put us in 6th place (above Hud.f.d )... were it not for the dreaded -10...but with one game in hand.

We were the only side to start the season on minus points and are ..(contrary to the predictions of a large minority on this site-look back to August postings) and are currently 22 points ABOVE the drop zone.Not so bad, eh?

ANSWER: Darn right!... we deserve to get the play-off spot - and when we do qualify in 6th place ..we'll win the bl**dy thing, too.

COYR !!!!!!!!!!

This says it all and answers those who say that Pardew has been too cautious and has lacked ambition. After the slow start he has done a fantastic job and if we are fortunate to make the play offs and win, we deserve it as much as anyone else in this league.

Taking away odd individual results, overall surely we can be delighted with this season?

RIGHT !!!!.....on recent form I think it's fair to say a lot of the CCC .......isn't ready for us ..COYR !!!!!!!!!!

LOL. I agree. Lets hope we get there. It still has a "window of opportunity" feel about it for me. Like when Burley p*ssed up the family silver when only seeking 6th playe in the CCC.

Assuming we do end up winning our remaining games we would have actually won 88 points. Looking back over the last 15 seasons this total would have won the division on 3 occasions and acheived 2nd place on 12 occasions!

78 points would have made the play-offs on 11 occasions.

I think this proves just how competitive League 1 has been this year and what a great job Pardew and hid team have done.

LOL. I agree. Lets hope we get there. It still has a "window of opportunity" feel about it for me. Like when Burley p*ssed up the family silver when only seeking 6th playe in the CCC.

Exactly, the lack of ambition from Burley compared to the ambition we're showing now are about as far apart as you can get. I'd love to get promoted this season, but if we don't, next season is going to be great. And the best thing about it is that when we do finally get back up to the CCC or NPC as it'll be called, we'll be in it to win it.

Saints more than deserve promotion. As much as any other club or more in the top 6 places. I fear for a downturn if we have to wait for next season. Still Pearson's done really well and I think Pardieu is going do just as well.

Well the stats tell their own story- we deserve promotion but that -10 in the end will probably cost us a play-off place (not that I haven't given up hope yet- we can still do it!).

But like Leroy Rosenior said on the FL show last night, we have to get over that and just win our last few games, that's all we can do.

We must be doing something right as they always say, a team that doesn't necessarily play that well (yesterday) and still win are a good side.

Tuesday is massive, and I don't expect Oldham to come and not bother as they aren't safe yet and they will have one eye on how Tranmere are doing in the other game v Brentford.

COYR

Exactly' date=' the lack of ambition from Burley compared to the ambition we're showing now are about as far apart as you can get. I'd love to get promoted this season, but if we don't, next season is going to be great. And the best thing about it is that when we do finally get back up to the CCC or NPC as it'll be called, [b']we'll be in it to win i[/b]t.

Doubt it, 5 year plan and all :D

ANSWER: Darn right!... we deserve to get the play-off spot - and when we do qualify in 6th place ..we'll win the bl**dy thing, too.

COYR !!!!!!!!!!

LOL reminded me of the post match Interview in the bath supping champagne :p with Micky Channon at Stamford Bridge when we'd just beaten Palarse and due to meet the Mighty Man Ure at Wembley in The Final...... 'tater said to Micky something along the lines of what a great acheivement it was to reach the Cup Final ... and in his great wiltshire / hampshire accent he replied ...ït's no bloody good just getting there , we've got to win the bloody thing now" which might not raise many eyebrows now, but back in the day, that sort of language had a 9 o clock curfew :lol:

the ccc will be weak next season with Hull likely to go into admin if relegated,Burnley & Pompey nothing to really fear(against this year with Newcastle &WBA) and lots of skint sides.We would have a realistic possibility of challenging for a play off place imo.Just need the miracle to happen this season

Of course we do. And we would have earned it if it wasnt for Beetroot-Faced-Bastard sabotaging this season before the last was finished.

Indeed, that was his parting shot, his final act of petulance and two fingers up to all of those who hated his guts. Just one week earlier and we would have been fine this season.

I will believe to my dying day that he did it on purpose and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

Agree totally there mate, i remember that whole season after every Burley interview with him talking about getting into the play offs what the f*** was he talking about ,surely after being backed by the board he to the tune of £7m the we should be going for top 2, drove me nuts all that. What happened to him? Was delighted when we got him, after his record at Ipswich and Hearts, was ****e for us and the sweaties.

On form, if we get there, we do. Even if we don't make the playoffs to compete, we still do deserve to be in those playoffs, which we'd probably win. You can't blame a team for a -10 start. They are only a collection of well managed players, not the club itself.

You really do talk a lot of cr*p Alpine. There is a huge difference between targetting the play offs and seeking 6th. Please feel free to find any quote where he said he was aiming for 6th spot?

You have learnt nothing from that season have you? There are plenty of other teams hell bent on promotion too as we have found this year again - no one is going to roll over and make it easy for us.

That season as in this, we are one of the most competitive teams in the divison but we have no divine right to get promoted and it is a tough job.

I remember you saying that you felt that he was deliberately trying not to get us up. I supposed you think that too about Pardew as you find it impossible to come out and give him your full support.

Who exactly would you support in the job? It strikes me that anyone we employ is not good enough for you.

Burley was the best manager in a points for game ratio before Pardew came along yet neither of them can please you. I suppose we need someone who can guarantee 3 points a game. Good luck with that.

PS Roy Keane spent £8m of Ipswich's "family silver" this season - don't see them troubling Newcaste or West Brom.

Edited by sadoldgit

You really do talk a lot of cr*p Alpine. There is a huge difference between targetting the play offs and seeking 6th. Please feel free to find any quote where he said he was aiming for 6th spot?

You have learnt nothing from that season have you? There are plenty of other teams hell bent on promotion too as we have found this year again - no one is going to roll over and make it easy for us.

That season as in this, we are one of the most competitive teams in the divison but we have no divine right to get promoted and it is a tough job.

I remember you saying that you felt that he was deliberately trying not to get us up. I supposed you think that too about Pardew as you find it impossible to come out and give him your full support.

Who exactly would you support in the job? It strikes me that anyone we employ is not good enough for you.

Burley was the best manager in a points for game ratio before Pardew came along yet neither of them can please you. I suppose we need someone who can guarantee 3 points a game. Good luck with that.

PS Roy Keane spent £8m of Ipswich's "family silver" this season - don't see them troubling Newcaste or West Brom.

Christ you are f**king boring. You are the only person on this site who actually is daft enough to think Burley did a good job. Or maybe it just guarantees you a little bit of attention.

Edited by alpine_saint

Christ you are f**king boring. You are the only person on this site who actually is daft enough to think Burley did a good job. Or maybe it just guarantees you a little bit of attention.

You have probably forgotten but we made the play offs and would have made the final if not for a couple of individual mistakes by a couple of players.

We were winning every other game. Doesn't happen to us very often but we are doing thta now and yu still can't bring yourself to back the manager 100%.

Still, who needs stats eh. As for attention...how many poss exactly???

ps Do you have any comment about the money Keane has spent and where they are in the league???

I was wondering how long it would take you to bite. The bait was laid and you bit. Don't ever come back as a fish in another life.

Although I believe Alpine saw you posting and deliberately had a poke at you, he does have a point. Look at Burleys 7m of signings compared to Pardews 3m of signings and that tells you which one was on the bottle to much.

Indeed, that was his parting shot, his final act of petulance and two fingers up to all of those who hated his guts. Just one week earlier and we would have been fine this season.

I will believe to my dying day that he did it on purpose and nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

That really is a bit sad... If you believe that it just shows you dont know Lowe's ego. His ego and desire to stick two fingers up to the doubters and those that hated him (and his desire tos ave his shae value) is what drove him to come back and get into bed with Wilde... his desire was to save the club as he saw it from Crouch's incompetance... The fact thatthe OD had been reduced and was being brought back albeit slowly inline with the agreement with Barclay's was first step...

Lowe can be accused of many mistakes including the issue with Pearson and the dutch boys, but taking us into admin to spite us is pretty naive and unless you can prove it, libellous...

I was wondering how long it would take you to bite. The bait was laid and you bit. Don't ever come back as a fish in another life.

Although I believe Alpine saw you posting and deliberately had a poke at you, he does have a point. Look at Burleys 7m of signings compared to Pardews 3m of signings and that tells you which one was on the bottle to much.

Absolutely right!

Comparing Numpty Burley's success and demeanor with Pards is like comparing apples and pears.

Pards has bought well and delivered well.

Burley could not buy and deliver a newspaper!

Answer to original post question is a resounding "YES" BTW...

You have probably forgotten but we made the play offs and would have made the final if not for a couple of individual mistakes by a couple of players.

We were winning every other game. Doesn't happen to us very often but we are doing thta now and yu still can't bring yourself to back the manager 100%.

Still, who needs stats eh. As for attention...how many poss exactly???

ps Do you have any comment about the money Keane has spent and where they are in the league???

The only thing Roy Keane proves is your utter hypocrisy.

If Keane was Saints manager and he had performed like that for us this season you'd be on here boring the arse off everyone about how brilliant he is doing and do you know that Lawrie Mac took blah blah blah blah blah and he must be given five more years blah blah Mourinho coulnd't do any better blah blah blah..kids today these days blah blah blah.

But he's someone else's manager so you slag him off left right and centre.

Much like your hypocrisy when you were using Chelsea as an example that money doens't buy success. Chelsea. Stretching the definition "no success" to absolute breaking point.

But hey, just make any lame-ass contradictory argument to make the same of guff points you always do.

I'm not disagreeing with your general thoughts but to be fair...

regardless of the players ability / potential ....the league you are in dictates the level of the fee.There are quite a few " million pound players " in CCC who are not good enough for a place in our present squad but clubs still pay out the money.

Who could buy a striker (like Lambert) for £1 million in CCC?..but it's a fortune in L1.

If you move up to CCC ..£1 million wouldn't buy a reserve team player.

Could you buy a player of Puncheon's calibre for that fee in CCC ?

Fonte wouldn't be out of place in a Prem.side and I think that Lallana is.. as good as / better than Surman a year ago.

At least half our present team wouldn't be out of place in CCC either, but you would get any of then for less than £2 - 3 million EACH.

Edited by david in sweden

The only thing Roy Keane proves is your utter hypocrisy.

If Keane was Saints manager and he had performed like that for us this season you'd be on here boring the arse off everyone about how brilliant he is doing and do you know that Lawrie Mac took blah blah blah blah blah and he must be given five more years blah blah Mourinho coulnd't do any better blah blah blah..kids today these days blah blah blah.

But he's someone else's manager so you slag him off left right and centre.

Much like your hypocrisy when you were using Chelsea as an example that money doens't buy success. Chelsea. Stretching the definition "no success" to absolute breaking point.

But hey, just make any lame-ass contradictory argument to make the same of guff points you always do.

What a strange individual you are.

I haven't slagged Keane off. I have simply made the point that spending shedloads of cash does not guarantee you success.

Do you think that is a concept that you can handle?

If you are so sure that money can buy success please tell me what is the amount you have to spend a) to guarantee winning the European Champions Cup and b) Divison 1.

Surely then all Chelsea and Southampton have to do is to spend that money and we are sorted!

:)

What a strange individual you are.

I haven't slagged Keane off. I have simply made the point that spending shedloads of cash does not guarantee you success.

Do you think that is a concept that you can handle?

If you are so sure that money can buy success please tell me what is the amount you have to spend a) to guarantee winning the European Champions Cup and b) Divison 1.

Surely then all Chelsea and Southampton have to do is to spend that money and we are sorted!

:)

It's hypocrisy because you've decided that after less than a year in the job, Roy Keane is unsuccessful. What happened to the "it took Lawrie Mac five years relegated in first season blah blah blah". If it was one of your favourites on here judging a manager after less than a year and a single season you'd be apoplectic.

But hey, just make it up as you go along and sod consistency, eh?

As for your "tell me the amount" masterstroke, what a pathetic idiotic comment from Mr "no such thing as a black and white answer". Utterly, utterly idiotic. But so very you, darling. So jolly, awfully clever :rolleyes:

Spending money is as close as you can get in football to guaranteed success.

Have a look at the top of the football tree, and have a look at the bottom.

Let me know when Cheltenham Town are in the Champion's League and then tell me I'm wrong.

Edited by CB Fry

It's hypocrisy because you've decided that after less than a year in the job, Roy Keane is unsuccessful. What happened to the "it took Lawrie Mac five years relegated in first season blah blah blah". If it was one of your favourites on here judging a manager after less than a year and a single season you'd be apoplectic.

But hey, just make it up as you go along and sod consistency, eh?

As for your "tell me the amount" masterstroke, what a pathetic idiotic comment from Mr "no such thing as a black and white answer". Utterly, utterly idiotic. But so very you, darling. So jolly, awfully clever :rolleyes:

Spending money is as close as you can get in football to guaranteed success.

Have a look at the top of the football tree, and have a look at the bottom.

Let me know when Cheltenham Town are in the Champion's League and then tell me I'm wrong.

Depends what you mean by success Mr Fry.

I understand that Burley is running the London Marathon, not bad for an alchy is it? Isn't this what we are talking about? The likes of Alpine seem to think that if Burley spends £7m in the CCC and Pardew £3m in Div 1 then it should guarantee promotion.

Why should it?

I understand that Burley is running the London Marathon, not bad for an alchy is it? Isn't this what we are talking about? The likes of Alpine seem to think that if Burley spends £7m in the CCC and Pardew £3m in Div 1 then it should guarantee promotion.

Why should it?

You just keep repeating the same, worn-out tedious sh*te, refusing to take in fairly robust rebuttals of your comments when posted, then make fun out of others for not answering your questions in a manner to your satisfaction.

Back to that washing basket for you...

You just keep repeating the same, worn-out tedious sh*te, refusing to take in fairly robust rebuttals of your comments when posted, then make fun out of others for not answering your questions in a manner to your satisfaction.

Back to that washing basket for you...

Yep, I'm just off to root through the dirty Calvins looking for the irony ;)

(p.s. I am still waiting to hear how much it will cost us to buy promotion)