England Squad For World Cup

Um Bongo

Goalkeepers

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips

Forwards

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Hart - Good choice, would be my No.1 for this tournament

James - Getting on, but still a good keeper and lots of experience

Green - Good understudy for Hart, still not 100% convinced he's international standard though

Baines - Too lightweight for left back, Joe Cole should have the LM spot nailed down.

Carragher - Past his best, not international quality anymore

A. Cole - Questions about his fitness but best LB England have

Dawson - Decent enough, can't see him starting though

Ferdinand - Again, fitness in question, but best CB in the England pool

Johnson - Should definitely start RB, although if he gets injured England are screwed with no decent backup

King - If he's fit, could be good. If he's not, he'll be a liability

Terry - Will he be the same after the cheating scandal?

Upson - Dodgy season, dodgy player. Should've named Jagielka.

Warnock - 3 left backs in the squad, expect him to be turfed out for the 23

Barry - Don't think he'll be fit, but if he is then he should definitely go

Carrick - Better than Barry imo, very underrated. I'd start him.

J. Cole - Pleased he's got his space, very versatile and skilful. English Ronaldinho.

Gerrard - Obviously a shoe-in, has yet to impress me in tournament finals though.

Huddlestone - Has had a good season, but no pace and Carrick is a better holding midfielder

Johnson - Odd choice, one for the future perhaps but Downing would've been a better choice.

Lampard - Could be a key player for England if he's on form, he's a match winner on his day

Lennon - Not 100% fit but if he is then would be very useful to have in the 23

Milner - Vastly improved this season, very versatile and will be interesting to see how he copes at a major tournament finals

Parker - Decent player in a poor West Ham team, but not international standard anymore

Walcott - Not produced anything like his form against Croatia at international or club standard recently, but useful to have

Wright-Phillips - Will have a lot of competition for the RM slot, so needs to prove he's good enough

Bent - Been on fire in the Prem, whether he can replicate that at international level is another question, but he has the talent

Crouch - Should start up front with Rooney, needs to prove himself at a tournament finals though

Defoe - Good poacher, should leave the penalty taking to Lampard though

Heskey - Hmm. Interesting choice, good team player, but doesn't score goals. He'll definitely go to SA though.

Rooney - If he's on form at the finals, England will at least make semi's.

From that i'd leave out:

Carragher, Upson, Warnock, Parker, Huddlestone, Johnson, Wright-Phillips

Of those 30, my 23 would be-

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Theo Walcott,

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

For defence I'd drop Warnock, Dawson and either King or Ferdinand as you can't take two injury liabilities.

For midfield I'd drop Huddlestone (Carrick can do his job), Parker, Wright-Phillips (if Lennon is fit) and Johnson (would like to take him but Milner and Cole are better options on the left)

For attack I'd drop Bent (not convinced he can do it at international standard)

Surprised Zamora didn't make the final 30 after his Europa Cup season.

Surprised people don't rate Carrick, he's the glue in the Man Utd midfield. Really combatative, ball-winning midfielder, and he can pick out a pin-point pass anytime over the 90 minutes. You don't just command a £18m transfer fee if you're not something special. If I was Capello i'd set out something like this against the smaller nations (ie group stages):

-------------------HART-------------------

JOHNSON----TERRY----FERDINAND---A.COLE

MILNER----GERRARD----LAMPARD-----J.COLE

-----------CROUCH----ROONEY-------------

And then something like this when England come up against the bigger teams (Brazil, Italy, France etc):

-------------------HART-------------------

JOHNSON----TERRY----FERDINAND---A.COLE

-----------------CARRICK------------------

-------GERRARD------------MILNER---------

-----------------LAMPARD------------------

-----------CROUCH----ROONEY-------------

Carragher will be on the plane, no way Capello would have had the come back discussion. Makes useful cover across the back four.

Barry will always start in midfield ahead of Joe Cole if fit.

Bent will get left behind

Johnson will go as will one of Lennon or Walcott then it becomes another Pace man (SWP) or the more all round creativity of Joe Cole. Imagine Crouchy getting on the end of Jonson's crosses, has to be an option off the bench as would the direct pace of Walcott who probably shades ahead of Lennon

Milner would be a good cover for Cashley in an emergency so at least one of Warnock & Baines won't go

One of Huddlestone or Parker will go depending on Barry's fitness

Gonna fill a lot of newspaper back pages for the next few weeks

Surprised people don't rate Carrick, he's the glue in the Man Utd midfield. Really combatative, ball-winning midfielder, and he can pick out a pin-point pass anytime over the 90 minutes. You don't just command a £18m transfer fee if you're not something special.

He's lightweight toss. And Alex Ferguson will tell you exactly what he thinks about the "glue" holding his midfield together by selling him this summer.

spaz.gif X 10000000

Aside from Rooney, Joe Cole is the most technically gifted footballer in that squad. Some of the stuff he pulls off is magical. He's definitely not as good as Ronaldinho, but it's a shame that he doesn't have a regular place in the England team yet.

And as for Carrick, Man Utd will be a poor side without him. Ronaldo, Carrick and Rooney were the 3 reasons that Man Utd did so well last season, and now Ronaldo's gone, Carrick is leaving and Rooney is rumoured away, Man Utd will be seriously depleted.

Happy enough with that squad for now. Surprised not to see Gary Nevile who I think could do a job as 2nd choice RB, but also a wise old head in the training ground. Joe Cole has to go, class player and easily should start on the left for me. Everything else much of a muchness really, drop Carragher - Dawson has been better all season long.

How is SWP there yet Ashley Young isnt?

Well Ashley Young has been **** for England and his club side, SWP has at least shown a little bit of form for England.

Can't see SWP going either way, will probably be Walcott, Lennon, Milner and maybe Johnson.

How the f*ck does Heskey still warrant a place? The mind boggles.

Probably something to do with how many goals we scored in qualifying with him in the side, we scored the most goals in Europe...

There's no point fixing something that isn't broken.

I'd still take Carragher, he can fit in nicely anywhere in that back four, which will allow either an extra midfielder or an extra striker/winger

He can fit in nicely sure, just a shame he's been terrible all season, I honestly can't remember a single decent performance from him. Their Greek centre back has been a lot better which says a lot.

Right back really is a problem if Johnson gets injured...

Milner?

Shocked Jagielka didn't get a call up, he could do a decent job there.

Breaking news:

Nelson Mandela Apartheid Commemorative Game

ENGLAND BLACKS

Manager: John Barnes

Sponsor: KFC

[center]James
Johnson – Ferdinand – King – A.Cole
Walcott – Huddlestone – Wright-Phillips – Lennon
Defoe - Heskey[/center]

[i]Subs: Bent[/i]

vs.

ENGLAND WHITES

Manager: Ron Atkinson

Sponsor: BNP

[center]Green
Carragher – Upson – Terry – Baines
J.Cole – Gerrard - Lampard – Johnson
Rooney - Crouch[/center]

[i]Subs: Hart, Warnock, Dawson, Carrick, Barry, Milner, Parker[/i]

Who do you think will win? :confused:

Three at the back for the World cup?

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/05/14/england-world-cup-fabio-capello-three-man-defence-3-5-2/

Nice article about the pros and cons, personally I can't see it but I wouldn't be too suprised if we go with three at the back at some point.

Edit - BBC article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8681745.stm

Edited by Andy_Porter