The Good Old Days...

Guided Missile

...classic film of our team "training" from 75 years ago.

We weren't much better in a game as this demonstrates, but I can't help thinking that crowds were better, even though the standard was low and so were the wages...

...mind you, a few years, later in 1948, it all started going t!ts up, when the players made ridiculous demands. Watch this short piece to the end. We had the most contented players in the country, that season. I'm sure we still do...

GM - fantastic piece of research I loved them and laughed all the way through at the Mr Cholmondley-Warner sound a like. Sky TV what have you done to the game........£12 a week and that's your lot I say. Brilliant and thank you.

fantastic - the Dell looked shabby in 1934!

No Chocolate Boxes at The Milton End yet. ;)

But for for it made me realise that in those days they couldn't play night matches as there weren't any floodlights :cool:

It nearly seemed as if playing football was of secondary importance to them, Snooker, Billiards, Cricket and Pig Breeding seemed higher up the agenda :p

What fantastic images they were .... thanks for the link.

We weren't much better in a game as this demonstrates, but I can't help thinking that crowds were better, even though the standard was low and so were the wages...

...mind you, a few years, later in 1948, it all started going t!ts up, when the players made ridiculous demands. Watch this short piece to the end. We had the most contented players in the country, that season. I'm sure we still do...

VERY Interesting GM,

As a fan of over 50 years (and a history nerd) it's fun to see these old clips.

A few items refer to the period when my late father was an active fan, but what a pity there isn't more of this old Pathe-type material available. Many younger fans must be tired of us "oldies " going on about former heroes, but it's good to see the players skill and enthusiasm of the fans in that era.

Re yr. clips (highlighted) there is also several more games available see library column on the right. Includes Saints V. Man Utd Semi final.

A game I attended at Villa Park in April 1963 !

Wonderful stuff. Thanks for digging it out. Why do all the players look like they're in their forties?

Combination of poor wages, poor diet, hard paper round in their youth (no bicycle) and the fact they are probably over forty!

Now I feel really sorry for my old Dad, he had to watch that lot playing as a kid. One size fits all kit did them no favours and a bit of running up and down and lifting weights might have come in handy. At least it's daytime so they did a bitmore than turn up of a Thursday evening to do a little bit of exercise ready for Saturday

Certainly players weren't as big or as fit as today's crop.

However I wonder how the current prima donnas would have got on playing in heavy kit/toe cap boots on grassless pitches most of the year with a heavy ball to contend with.

And of course there were the 'challenges'!!

Some of these 'old boys' were tough ex miners/soldiers who took and expected no quarters. Some of the 'tackles' for the ball would be demed illegal in a court of law nowadays but were the accepted norm then.

Was looking at a clip of the 1956 Cup Final recently when Bet Trautman the Man City Keeper broke his neck.

The trainer pulled his goalie top over his head (no thought of spinal damage) to give to the outfield player who would temporarily replace him in goal (Bert came back to finish the game) and then put the 'cure all' cold sponge on his neck!!!!

Wonderful stuff. Thanks for digging it out.

Why do all the players look like they're in their forties?

...sadly because everyone did then. No film star types in those days, and times were hard.. in the Depression in the 1930's and after the war..(you must have read about that) when there was still food rationing four / five years after it was over. Even the teenagers looked like old men. Nutritional diets and training schedules were a thing of the future ...

(a pint of beer and a steak dinner was like a feast.)

NOTE: Having spent a bit of time recalling these old films, look at column on right of other related videos, Cup finals and Internationals from 1950's and 60's including AMAZING ENGLAND Eng v. N.Ireland 8-3 (Paine hattrick) and Eng.V World colour film of Englands 1963 Centenary game 2-1 win over Rest of the World (Paine scores Engalnds first) great stuff for the oldies to recall...and for the younger fans who've only ever heard the "names" of Greaves, Hunt, Law and Charlton.