Advice needed Re: Speeding/Driving Ban

Jonnyboy

I didn't see him as there was a car in front (about 20 yards) and he was hiding in the effing hedge!

I thought it was illegal to be hiding. Fixed camera's have to be painted yellow, why wouldn't that be the case for mobile camera's? That said, try proving he was hiding until the last moment!

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/van.htm One picture from Bitterne by pass

Edited by GenevaSaint

Of course the police are chasing statistics, and want to penalise anyone who does more than 1 mph over the speed limit. I got caught 20 years ago, about a year after passing my test, learnt my lesson and never been caught again.

There's a simple solution believe it or not, don't speed!

I and several people I know (almost all male blokes under 25 this has happened to) have been followed for long distances by police cars on Friday and saturday nights, a couple have been pulled over and given a warning for going a couple of mph over the limit, the rest have deliberately driven slightly under and not been pulled over.

One time a mate of mine gave me a lift back home once on a saturday evening. 5 mins into our journey a copper began tailgating us and at the next set of traffic lights a car swerved across in front of him, he braked sharply and the copper went straight into the back of us.

Copper started ranting at him and fined him, my mate appealed and a witness statement from me and another bloke later, he got a letter through the post 6 weeks later saying the copper had been "suspended indefinitely from duty".

I thought it was illegal to be hiding. Fixed camera's have to be painted yellow, why wouldn't that be the case for mobile camera's? That said, try proving he was hiding until the last moment!

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/van.htm One picture from Bitterne by pass

It was probably a case of standing very close to the hedge so that he camouflaged himself. That and overhanging branches made it very difficult to see him.

Of course the police are chasing statistics, and want to penalise anyone who does more than 1 mph over the speed limit. I got caught 20 years ago, about a year after passing my test, learnt my lesson and never been caught again.

Is it luck that you've never been caught, or can you, hand on heart, say you don't speed...ever?

I certainly don't speed in built up areas, but yep, I do sometimes elsewhere so fair enough if I get caught. It is a bit galling though when 30 mph limits have been introduced where it was previously 60mph (probably too much) or 40 mph (about right), and has been my entire life, and you get done. I'd love to see the reasoning behind why it's a 30mph at that particular spot, especially when other 40mph zones (Hursley Road, at the top of Hook Road) were reduced a couple of years later, that were more deserving of a lower limit. I can only assume the speed limits are set by the local council (Hook Road is Test Valley, Hursley Road is Eastleigh).

Edited by Chin Strain

Thanks for that, yes as a delivery driver it is very hard.

I got one for a red light in 2008 which I didnt even notice.

Then ive had 3 in quick succession (February, and 2 in April, either side of the birth of my son). The fourth was snapped before i even received the letter informing me about the 3rd so I had no chance to "change my habits." I think i might have a case on a technicality there.

The roads were pathetic - country road with no pavement, streetlights or houses, everyone does 50 on them (near Belbins industrial estate Romsey) yet becasue rich people live down long driveways these have been designated a 30.

How much is a lawyer likely to cost? Thanks again

i know this road VERY well as i work on Belbins Ind Estate...it's a bloody disgrace that Cupernham lane is a 30mph zone, there are only about 6 houses along it. I find it very difficult to keep the car under 30 on that road,BUT (and here is the crux of the matter) there are 30mph signs all along it, so you (as i ) have no excuse in ignoring the them.....

PS , i manage to keep it at 35mph, so not quite EVERYONE does 50.......but i know what ya mean...

best of luck with an appeal

i know this road VERY well as i work on Belbins Ind Estate...it's a bloody disgrace that Cupernham lane is a 30mph zone, there are only about 6 houses along it. I find it very difficult to keep the car under 30 on that road,BUT (and here is the crux of the matter) there are 30mph signs all along it, so you (as i ) have no excuse in ignoring the them.....

PS , i manage to keep it at 35mph, so not quite EVERYONE does 50.......but i know what ya mean...

best of luck with an appeal

thanks, its nice to have a bit of sympathy, i accept that i shouldnt have been doing over 35 but it is ridiculously hard not to. Wish my tax pounds were going towards prosecuting someone engaged in something more sinister than trying to do their job well and get home promptly to see their newborn.

i actually slow down at the entrance to Belbins so as not to annoy people entering and leaving the estate but otherwise I can only assume one of the millionaires living round there is a mason and has whispered in the ear of the council or police to keep the traffic noise down.

I and several people I know (almost all male blokes under 25 this has happened to) have been followed for long distances by police cars on Friday and saturday nights, a couple have been pulled over and given a warning for going a couple of mph over the limit, the rest have deliberately driven slightly under and not been pulled over.

One time a mate of mine gave me a lift back home once on a saturday evening. 5 mins into our journey a copper began tailgating us and at the next set of traffic lights a car swerved across in front of him, he braked sharply and the copper went straight into the back of us.

Copper started ranting at him and fined him, my mate appealed and a witness statement from me and another bloke later, he got a letter through the post 6 weeks later saying the copper had been "suspended indefinitely from duty".

suspended?! result!

Why should you be allowed to appeal?

You knew you were speeding, and it's not like you've been given any chances is it? Get caught once or twice maybe, but having not learnt your lesson after three times is just retarded.

Perhaps you should have changed your driving habits if your job meant so much to you.

I'm not sure what's going on here....maybe the world is about to come to an end or maybe there has been some cosmic sh*t going on, but I actually find myself agreeing with WSS. Maybe I'm just turning into a miserable old b*stard, like he is, but he does have a point. And as for the point about getting legal aid - get bf*cked, quite frankly. Why would a self confessed criminal like the OP be able to get assistance to protect themsleves from the very laws that they have admitted to breaking. Hanging is too good for you lot, that's what I believe anyway.

I'm not sure what's going on here....maybe the world is about to come to an end or maybe there has been some cosmic sh*t going on, but I actually find myself agreeing with WSS. Maybe I'm just turning into a miserable old b*stard, like he is, but he does have a point. And as for the point about getting legal aid - get bf*cked, quite frankly. Why would a self confessed criminal like the OP be able to get assistance to protect themsleves from the very laws that they have admitted to breaking. Hanging is too good for you lot, that's what I believe anyway.

haha because this hardcore criminal works hard, pays his taxes and is therefore entitled to whatever rights are legally available to him, moron

Gangsta for Life,

I have been stupid enough to get caught speeding for the fourth time.

From what I read this means I reach 12 points and get a 6 month ban. This will likely mean i lose my job.

Anyone know much about this? Is it worth appealing for a reduction in ban length? Anyone know a good lawyer? Thanks

Fear not. There is a couple of ways out of this

1) You can claim extenuating circumstances (You may do this only once) and your points will be added and stand upto 18 points but you don't get banned - you will have to drive like a Saint for the next 5 years.

2) Take a letter from your boss, saying you will lose your job and request a reduced ban - two or four weeks is the norm ( Two weeks holiday and two weeks of hardship)

3) Lose your job and huge impact on your family and would require the State to support you. Much larger fine, points added as per point one, but no ban. (This is much easier if you have havent had a previous conviction, but a single charge could ban you.

Fear not. There is a couple of ways out of this

1) You can claim extenuating circumstances (You may do this only once) and your points will be added and stand upto 18 points but you don't get banned - you will have to drive like a Saint for the next 5 years.

2) Take a letter from your boss, saying you will lose your job and request a reduced ban - two or four weeks is the norm ( Two weeks holiday and two weeks of hardship)

3) Lose your job and huge impact on your family and would require the State to support you. Much larger fine, points added as per point one, but no ban. (This is much easier if you have havent had a previous conviction, but a single charge could ban you.

Thanks!

So I should contact someone to represent me?

haha because this hardcore criminal works hard, pays his taxes and is therefore entitled to whatever rights are legally available to him, moron

Gangsta for Life,

I work hard and pay my taxes AND i stick within the law of the land. You may well work hard and pay your taxes but you have admitted that the laws of this country mean nothing to you. You are more than happy to break them, but you're not man enough to take the punishment. It is people like you that have dragged this country inti the mess we're in. You are slowly eroding the gene of common sense, which, in this case, states that laws are there for protect the innocent.....you don't care about that, you're happy to zoom around the country, putting young children, the elderly and disabled at risk and then, when caught, you try to find loopholes and ways out. Ken Clarke today will tell his fellow politicians that there are too many people in prison and that it serves no purpose as the short term senteced criminals simply go out and re-offend. I put you in that category.....a minor offence, but still an offence. However, where I differ from Ken Clarke is that I believe a stint in Jail is exactly what you need. You mention your young children (as if that's an excuse for your reckless habits on the roads of this once proud nation), well what is some maniac ran them over - how would you feel then? Would you demand justice or would you say "well, we've done broken the speed limits, it;'s what we do". Would you say that? I doubt it very much. For the safety of the British public, your licence should be revoked and you should be given 3 months inside to contemplate all the damage to law abiding peoples lives that you could do. Hang your head in shame.

I work hard and pay my taxes AND i stick within the law of the land. You may well work hard and pay your taxes but you have admitted that the laws of this country mean nothing to you. You are more than happy to break them, but you're not man enough to take the punishment. It is people like you that have dragged this country inti the mess we're in. You are slowly eroding the gene of common sense, which, in this case, states that laws are there for protect the innocent.....you don't care about that, you're happy to zoom around the country, putting young children, the elderly and disabled at risk and then, when caught, you try to find loopholes and ways out. Ken Clarke today will tell his fellow politicians that there are too many people in prison and that it serves no purpose as the short term senteced criminals simply go out and re-offend. I put you in that category.....a minor offence, but still an offence. However, where I differ from Ken Clarke is that I believe a stint in Jail is exactly what you need. You mention your young children (as if that's an excuse for your reckless habits on the roads of this once proud nation), well what is some maniac ran them over - how would you feel then? Would you demand justice or would you say "well, we've done broken the speed limits, it;'s what we do". Would you say that? I doubt it very much. For the safety of the British public, your licence should be revoked and you should be given 3 months inside to contemplate all the damage to law abiding peoples lives that you could do. Hang your head in shame.

Do people still fall for your wind ups? Cos they're getting pretty tiresome to be honest...

No, I don't get that. Impartial to what? The law? Motoring offences in general? I'm a massive petrol-head with a turbocharged hot hatch that likes to sit pinging quietly on my driveway, after a spirited excursion around my local countryside, but even I think someone who's been legitimately caught speeding on multiple occasions should man up and face the punishment. How is impartiality relevant?

Unless you mean impartiality to the users on here, in which case I'd have to ask why you picked up someone's opinion and called it as a wind up, when there's no evidence to suggest that.

If you don't think his post is a wind up, which you clearly don't, then I would suggest your impartiality is at question. I think this chats best saved for "our" area.

A perspective of impartiality.

Impartial moderation

Unless you mean impartiality to the users on here, in which case I'd have to ask why you picked up someone's opinion and called it as a wind up, when there's no evidence to suggest that.

Oh, you did mean that. Righto.

If you don't think his post is a wind up, which you clearly don't, then I would suggest your impartiality is at question. I think this chats best saved for "our" area.

There's only one way to sort this : FIGHT!

HarryHill_fight.jpg

Thanks!

So I should contact someone to represent me?

No i dont think so. I got caught doing 106 on the M27, which is technically a ban ( more than 30 miles over the speed limit)

I didnt take the duty solicitor as he looked about 12, and pretty gormless (Wise choice as it turned out) and made the case that at the time I was driving over 30k miles a year, had done so for the last 5 (represents about 15 years of driving for the average motorist), and this was the only speeding conviction i had ever had. I was the sole breadwinner with a child to support as well and took a letter from my boss saying it would cost me my job. Outcome was a big fine and 6 points.

A friend who was more similar to your case racked up the points that meant he would get a ban, had the same letter (From the same boss) and got four weeks - but..... and I don't know if it was a mistake or not, got a clean license after his ban, so he was infinately better off getting a short ban and then a clean license back afterwards.

The first point i raised - "Extenuating" is not the right word or phrase and can't rememer what it is called - but it does exist.

Do people still fall for your wind ups? Cos they're getting pretty tiresome to be honest...

How is that a wind up? The point I am making, if you could be bothered to try and lift the blinkers from your eyes and ignore your bizarre hatred of me, is that this man has broke the law, lots of times and is now looking for ways out of it. Maybe you think that's ok, that's up to you (although we are talking about the laws of this country - designed to protect us), but don't dismiss my opinion as a wind up just because it suits you. I think you're the one who needs to research the term impartiality, not Ponty. Basically, if people don't agree with you, then they're either on a wind up or they need to have a behind the scene "chat " with you. You need to sort your ego out a little bit.

No i dont think so. I got caught doing 106 on the M27, which is technically a ban ( more than 30 miles over the speed limit)

I didnt take the duty solicitor as he looked about 12, and pretty gormless (Wise choice as it turned out) and made the case that at the time I was driving over 30k miles a year, had done so for the last 5 (represents about 15 years of driving for the average motorist), and this was the only speeding conviction i had ever had. I was the sole breadwinner with a child to support as well and took a letter from my boss saying it would cost me my job. Outcome was a big fine and 6 points.

A friend who was more similar to your case racked up the points that meant he would get a ban, had the same letter (From the same boss) and got four weeks - but..... and I don't know if it was a mistake or not, got a clean license after his ban, so he was infinately better off getting a short ban and then a clean license back afterwards.

The first point i raised - "Extenuating" is not the right word or phrase and can't rememer what it is called - but it does exist.

He was lucky to get his license back clean as a ban would be treated in the same was as points to be cleared from the license.

How is that a wind up? The point I am making, if you could be bothered to try and lift the blinkers from your eyes and ignore your bizarre hatred of me, is that this man has broke the law, lots of times and is now looking for ways out of it. Maybe you think that's ok, that's up to you (although we are talking about the laws of this country - designed to protect us), but don't dismiss my opinion as a wind up just because it suits you. I think you're the one who needs to research the term impartiality, not Ponty. Basically, if people don't agree with you, then they're either on a wind up or they need to have a behind the scene "chat " with you. You need to sort your ego out a little bit.

Every mod (apart from ponty) sees the need to infract you, in fact, you are only 1 point of a perm ban. So I'm thinking, perhaps its not my personal opinion of your conduct thats the problem.

Every mod (apart from ponty) sees the need to infract you, in fact, you are only 1 point of a perm ban. So I'm thinking, perhaps its not my personal opinion of your conduct thats the problem.

Or, you could agrue that perhaps Ponty is the only mod that can see the humour in certain posts and judge correctly the way they were intended. The above posts on speeding do not fall into that category.

I think you'd be surprised how many people feel that way about the modding on here.

Or, you could agrue that perhaps Ponty is the only mod that can see the humour in certain posts and judge correctly the way they were intended. The above posts on speeding do not fall into that category.

I think you'd be surprised how many people feel that way about the modding on here.

Well, quite. However I'd be inclined to go with the majority than the minority, but then I've always been a sheep.

Well, quite. However I'd be inclined to go with the majority than the minority, but then I've always been a sheep.

In that case you are making a bad call. This forum has lost most of its humour. If some of that was encouraged instead of sanctioned perhaps you wouldnt have a dominace of 'everything is ****' threads.

In that case you are making a bad call. This forum has lost most of its humour. If some of that was encouraged instead of sanctioned perhaps you wouldnt have a dominace of 'everything is ****' threads.

As it happens, I'm not making any call. I merely respect the decision the majority of the moderators make.

I don't know WS's previous but I don't see a wind up here at all. I think there are some valid points

A little overstated perhaps but I'm not exactly appreciating the "It's perfectly safe to drive at 41 mph in a 30mph zone" and "I couldn't have learnt my lesson not to speed because I've only been caught 3 times" attitude of the original poster either. If anything the wind up is there IMO if there is a wind up at all

Edited by JackFrost

Reading through this, all I can see is a serious contribution to the debate from Wiltshire, followed by a self-confessed biased response and thinly veiled threat from Baj.

Wiltshire may have been responsible for wind-ups at times, but surely should only be encouraged when joining in sensibly? FWIW Ponty is by far the most impartial mod on here, I've rarely heard of petty, personal infractions dished out by him, even when he's being baited.

+1

TBF thats the only criticism i have of this place as all in all it is run very very well, but in some cases the moderation is pretty heavy handed. The majority like a bit of banter but some can't take any so where do you draw the line ??

Plus i got some points the other day for what was IMO nothing at all and a legitimate post.

Some of the stuff from wiltshire is clearly a wind up but most thick skinned people can take it with a pinch of salt, most of the time it can be pretty funny.

TBF this time he has summed things up quite well, i do feel sorry for JonnyBoy in a way but he has had 3 chances and can't even really see the error in his ways.

Edited by Smirking_Saint

Take a chill pill Saddam, youve never strayed over 30 in your life, but if you carry on like this you will be infracted and get a permanent ban you criminal you.

+1

TBF thats the only criticism i have of this place as all in all it is run very very well, but in some cases the moderation is pretty heavy handed. The majority like a bit of banter but some can't take any so where do you draw the line ??

Plus i got some points the other day for what was IMO nothing at all and a legitimate post.

Some of the stuff from wiltshire is clearly a wind up but most thick skinned people can take it with a pinch of salt, most of the time it can be pretty funny.

TBF this time he has summed things up quite well, i do feel sorry for JonnyBoy in a way but he has had 3 chances and can't even really see the error in his ways.

Seems like no one is reading the entire thread

I accept the error of my ways, I will certainly be driving slower in the future, my only problem is with one particular stretch of road.

However I also think I am actually generally a safe driver who doesnt speed in built up areas where schools etc are about.

I accept dont do the crime if you cant do the time

But anyone suggesting someone should get three months for speeding is a nutcase or on a windup.

Edited by Jonnyboy

I accept the error of my ways, I will certainly be driving slower in the future, my only problem is with one particular stretch of road.

But anyone suggesting someone should get three months for speeding is a nutcase or on a windup.

Fair point well made

I was on 9 points not so long back, i'm now on 6 and in August i'll be down to 3. I'm basing this on points lasting 3 years, but i'm not completely sure the time is 3 years as i've heard this is the case but they stay on your licenece for 4 years. Can anyone clarify this please?

Edit, just checked and i'm actually down to 3 points already.:)

Edited by dune

I was on 9 points not so long back, i'm now on 6 and in August i'll be down to 3. I'm basing this on points lasting 3 years, but i'm not completely sure the time is 3 years as i've heard this is the case but they stay on your licenece for 4 years. Can anyone clarify this please?

Edit, just checked and i'm actually down to 3 points already.:)

They stay on your licence for 4 years, but only 3 years count for totting up purposes.

However I also think I am actually generally a safe driver who doesnt speed in built up areas where schools etc are about.

That's your opinion. I'm not sure that it's mine.

Well for what it's worth, you have my sympathy...having just spent 10 mins looking at that website GenevaSaint posted http://www.speedcam.co.uk/van.htm I can only say that's as scary as ****....I knew fixed speed camera's had grown on just about every street corner over there, but had no idea the Government were imposing their 'Stazi like' will on it's citizens the way it is with all those mobile camera vans.....That's not law enforcement...that's waaay beyond that....That's 'control'...... control with a fist of iron!...I saw some sights in East Germany, Poland and Russia back in the 70's ...I never dreamt i would ever see similar in the UK

Totaly shocking!....why do y'all put up with it?

Well for what it's worth, you have my sympathy...having just spent 10 mins looking at that website GenevaSaint posted http://www.speedcam.co.uk/van.htm I can only say that's as scary as ****....I knew fixed speed camera's had grown on just about every street corner over there, but had no idea the Government were imposing their 'Stazi like' will on it's citizens the way it is with all those mobile camera vans.....That's not law enforcement...that's waaay beyond that....That's 'control'...... control with a fist of iron!...I saw some sights in East Germany, Poland and Russia back in the 70's ...I never dreamt i would ever see similar in the UK

Totaly shocking!....why do y'all put up with it?

It's a joke. There is only one civilised county left in England that doesn't have any fixed speed cameras (or a MacDonalds for that matter).

It is obvious to the majority (Baj and me) that Wiltshire Saint is on a wind-up. The rest of you (Ponty, Junction 9, buctootim, soppyoldsod, Doctoroncall, norwaysaint, Smirking_Saint and Deano6) are in the minority and should get over yourselves.

For my money, WS is by far and away the best poster on here.

He/she indulges in proper satire in the tradition of Peter Cook, Willie Rushton, Armando Ianucci, Chris Morris et al. Unfortunately, this art form is largely missing from the mainstream media these days, the last good example being 'Brass Eye'. Earlier examples being That Was the Week That Was, Twice a Fortnight etc etc.

It is not to be taken personally. If you do then you are missing the point.

(Sorry WS, I'm sure you don't need anyone to fight your corner, but I for one would find this forum a much poorer place if you were banned).

It is obvious to the majority (Baj and me) that Wiltshire Saint is on a wind-up. The rest of you (Ponty, Junction 9, buctootim, soppyoldsod, Doctoroncall, norwaysaint, Smirking_Saint and Deano6) are in the minority and should get over yourselves.

He said the majority of moderators, you idiot. I'd hardly put the opinions of the majority of normal posters (especially ones who haven't paid) on the same level as the opinions of the majority of moderators.