14480 Attendance tonight

exit2

I'm one of those 'stay-away' fans, not for any political reason, but partly because of geographical reasons, and partly because of huge disillusionment over what has gone on with the team over the last couple of years.

However, I went to the Ipswich game and then, against my better judgement, I went again last night. I found the Ipswich game frustrating, because there was some great football (Surman's goal) but also incredibly naive defending. But last night, I thoroughly enjoyed it. We played some excellent football, of which we should all be proud. It made it all the more enjoyable that it was all created by kids that have come through our youth team. Give me Lancashire over Powell any time, or Paterson over Rasiak.

I know his hands are tied financially, but Rupert Lowe must be given some credit for the approach he is taking. The easy thing to do would have been to appoint Pearson again and we would carry on struggling to make ends meet with no money and a bunch of mercenary players who are more interested in whether they get a contract renewal at the end of the season rather than collective team success.

Instead, he took a gamble and appointed an unknown who at least would follow the philosophy that Lowe wants. It still remains a gamble, but having spent a thoroughly enjoyable evening at St Mary's last night, I have confidence that it might just work.

In my opinion, Rupert Lowe is slowly putting the heart back into the club. A half-arsed consortium takeover right now could be the worst thing to happen to us.

The major problem now is that too many fans stay away and continue to stay away, further threatening us financially.

My pledge is that I will now make a much greater effort to go to games, as I saw a new set of Saints heroes last night, and I can't wait to see how Lancashire, Mills, Lallana and Paterson develop from here. If this is the quality of players that we are creating, both our present and future can be very bright, as long as these players are allowed to flourish at our club. They can only do that if the likes of myself come to support them, and therefore not force the club to cash in on them.

cracking post.

last bit needs to be drummed into some peoples head, just as the point the money they spend DOES NOT go directly to lowe.

lets face it even with 30k goiing every week, does not guarantee going up, but it keeps a young entertaining side together, which is important.

cracking post.

last bit needs to be drummed into some peoples head, just as the point the money they spend DOES NOT go directly to lowe.

lets face it even with 30k goiing every week, does not guarantee going up, but it keeps a young entertaining side together, which is important.

Naive in the extreme.

If a decent offer comes in for our players they will be gone quicker than you can say "share buyback".

Great post

indeed, some solid common sense there.

The hard fact of the affair is that if we don't get relegated Lowe+Wilde's system is a success. We have cut fabulous amounts of money from the outgoings and although there is a minor cut in the income as well it is a drop in the ocean.

4000 fans x£18x23=1.66 million per season

Chopping out all of the non performing dead wood= 6 million per season.

That's a business plan folks, whether you like it or not.

Bankers will be suitably impressed.

I'm one of those 'stay-away' fans, not for any political reason, but partly because of geographical reasons, and partly because of huge disillusionment over what has gone on with the team over the last couple of years.

However, I went to the Ipswich game and then, against my better judgement, I went again last night. I found the Ipswich game frustrating, because there was some great football (Surman's goal) but also incredibly naive defending. But last night, I thoroughly enjoyed it. We played some excellent football, of which we should all be proud. It made it all the more enjoyable that it was all created by kids that have come through our youth team. Give me Lancashire over Powell any time, or Paterson over Rasiak.

I know his hands are tied financially, but Rupert Lowe must be given some credit for the approach he is taking. The easy thing to do would have been to appoint Pearson again and we would carry on struggling to make ends meet with no money and a bunch of mercenary players who are more interested in whether they get a contract renewal at the end of the season rather than collective team success.

Instead, he took a gamble and appointed an unknown who at least would follow the philosophy that Lowe wants. It still remains a gamble, but having spent a thoroughly enjoyable evening at St Mary's last night, I have confidence that it might just work.

In my opinion, Rupert Lowe is slowly putting the heart back into the club. A half-arsed consortium takeover right now could be the worst thing to happen to us.

The major problem now is that too many fans stay away and continue to stay away, further threatening us financially.

My pledge is that I will now make a much greater effort to go to games, as I saw a new set of Saints heroes last night, and I can't wait to see how Lancashire, Mills, Lallana and Paterson develop from here. If this is the quality of players that we are creating, both our present and future can be very bright, as long as these players are allowed to flourish at our club. They can only do that if the likes of myself come to support them, and therefore not force the club to cash in on them.

Quality post - sums up my thoughts exactly

Well the majority seem to think that is the best team, playing the best football for a couple of years.

With all due respect, the team that reached the play offs a couple of seasons back was obviously much better than the current team (I would wager a bet that the current team don't finish as high as 6th this season).

Some of the football that season was also very good (scoring six against Wolves, five against Barnsley et al).

Last night was a very good performance (see my report on the match thread where I felt some players deserved 9's), but previously to that I had witnessed too shockingly poor matches at SMS (and was lucky to be away when we were turned over by Blackpool).

It was a very good performance and I hope we buid on it, but I just think your claim is slightly OTT.

I spoke to a Norwich fan outside a burger van after the match.

After finishing his rant about Roeder, he mentioned our attendance.

This was his first visit to SMS since that amazing 4-3 game in our relegation season.

He was shocked at our turn out!

He said on that day, and on previous visits to The Dell we always had fantastic passion

:mad::(

A decade of Rupert Lowe has killed the spirit our club once had.

You sad ignorant individual. Are you just simple or just a vindictive, vacuous cretin? You are no doubt the chav who put the chav in Chaventry as you don't seem to have the intelligence to realise that by avoiding home games you and others like you are not feathering Lowes nest but your action is more akin to dumping in your own home and preventing the opportunity for the club to lay a few more eggs in the nest and continue its re-birth.

Continuing on a feathered theme you show all the attributes of a cuckoo and to put it mildly you are at best completely cuckoo. Even Leon Crouch still supports the team at home and I suspect he has more to be miffed at than you and your pathetic little protest.

People talk about the fantastic support at Doncaster but if half our number were there because they can't see their team play at home because they are prejudice towards the board their support, if we can call it that, is questionable, unhelpful (feathering the nest of our opponents instaed of ourselves) and about as welcome as the bell ringing skate in the Northam.

Clearly, you support a plan of all Saints fans going to away games and stay away from home games just to oust Lowe? If we all did that your plan would succeed but there would be nothing left to takeover. Can your tiny mind understand that? Thankfully, between 13,000 and 14,000 of us are bemused by your 'protest' and look forward to seeing you back at SMS when you realise you may actually be missing out on something worthwhile. Personally, you will be about as welcome as the plastic premiership fans or god forbid some half-baked consortium based takeover.

The future of this club is in the hands of those at the club today from groundstaff all the way through to the players, coaches and directors. Deal with it and support their collective efforts or find another club worthy of your so called support.

Looking for a bite?

Nah i won't bother, i pity you Sundance. They're even starting threads about you on B-anter now...

http://www.b-anter.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4110&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I hope our attendances improve and all, but I've noticed a different vibe around the place in the last couple of games, e.g. applause and encouragement when a move didn't come off last night instead of the now much more familiar sound of people screaming, "You're f*cking sh*t you c*nts, I hate you all," or other words to that effect.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game as a result of this and some football of genuine class.

indeed, some solid common sense there.

The hard fact of the affair is that if we don't get relegated Lowe+Wilde's system is a success. We have cut fabulous amounts of money from the outgoings and although there is a minor cut in the income as well it is a drop in the ocean.

4000 fans x£18x23=1.66 million per season

Chopping out all of the non performing dead wood= 6 million per season.

That's a business plan folks, whether you like it or not.

Bankers will be suitably impressed.

I'll hazard a guess that the cost to SFC in lost income for each missing fan is well 'north' of £18 a head . Excluding children and ST's matchday tickets cost between £16 -£28 each and then you have to factor in other losses such as reduced food and drink income , programmes , merchandise etc .

Using your 4000 fan number the drop in income could well be in excess of £2.5m a season .

Any savings made on 'chopping out the dead wood' as you put it are going to be more like £3m in reality - not the £6m you quote I'm afraid .

the clubs that get big crowds in the CCC sell lots of STs, usually with low entry point prices.

As another comparison, palace got 16000 for the Charlton game last night, a very poor turnpout for a local fixture, so its not only us.

The club will HAVE to either

1. Do much better match by match deals or

2. Sell lots of Sts

to get crowds up..

They really haven't tried hard to do either IMO.

I dont think the club as really tried.

Why not give each season ticket holder a free 5 match ticket for their Dad/Mum/brother/ sister as its nearly Xmas.

Also think of something for members (especially as I am one!)

Well hopefully last night's game will encourage a few "stay-aways" back, as they certainly missed out on a cracking goal and an excellent 2nd half, although I sympathise with the financial predicaments.

The "14k hardcore" left last night seemed much more positive and vocally supportive, and it is noticeable how all the players aren't afraid to shoot from outside the box now whereas the players we had a few years back were petrified. The 12th man was in place.

The 1,000 at Donny were fantastic too. Let's hope this support continues, but increases numerically!

I haven't been since Birmingham in the league due to weddings/work and courses. I'm not making excuses because I love going and have said all season that the kids are playing stuff worthy of watching. It actually really grates me at the moment when I can't go, but I should be there for the rest of this month's home games on Saturdays. Not everybody can make every week and I accept that being one of them. Less than 15K does makes us look like a bunch of mugs tho!

Whatever, the result on Sat, I'll be there for the Watford and Coventry return games this month. COYR.

The stay away fans will be the ones that kill this club. I'm far from being a lowe luvvie - he makes my skin crawl! But I don't go to the game to see him - I go to watch and support the team I love. I'm not sure what would make me stop going.

Saints through thick and thin. It's the thin time at the mo' so my thinking is they need us now more than ever!

Lowe or the stay aways - I used to think lowe would kill this club but no it'll be it's own fans - I never thought I'd see the day.

Im hoping with a good result at Coventry we will see a big improvement on the next home gate.

It looked very bare tonight and was a sad sight. But looking at other attendances around the league, it was to bad.

Only good point of it all is that I got home 20 mins after the final whistle.

Compared to other games! doncaster got 14,000 and they were in the conference not that long ago, anything less than the dell's capacity is embarassing

Lowe or the stay aways - I used to think lowe would kill this club but no it'll be it's own fans - I never thought I'd see the day.

It's ironic really that the fans Lowe used to sneer at are the ones who now call the shots and will see Lowe's shares become worthless.

It's payback time.:)

It's ironic really that the fans Lowe used to sneer at are the ones who now call the shots and will see Lowe's shares become worthless.

It's payback time.:)

Isn't it ironic, the song ?

In the lyrics there is a line "as the plane crashed down he thought well isn't this nice"

How great being empowered as you suggest must make you feel

I'm sorry but there's a number of people who have contributed to the demise of this Club from Deluded Chairmen, psycophantic Directors, reckless Executives, overpaid prima donnas, disloyal mercenaries, couldn't be ar5ed managers etc etc etc who would be much higher up the list of culpables than the long suffering grass root fans.

There have been a number of decisions that have fcuhked this Club over and they all came well before some fans decided to vote with their feet. That's the only decision they've ever made in this sorry tale.

Fans not turning up is a result of all of these decisions and it's a bit rich to be blaming them for the current state of the Club.

If anything, the supporters are the ony thing that is holding this Club together right now.

I'm sorry but there's a number of people who have contributed to the demise of this Club from Deluded Chairmen, psycophantic Directors, reckless Executives, overpaid prima donnas, disloyal mercenaries, couldn't be ar5ed managers etc etc etc who would be much higher up the list of culpables than the long suffering grass root fans.

There have been a number of decisions that have fcuhked this Club over and they all came well before some fans decided to vote with their feet. That's the only decision they've ever made in this sorry tale.

Fans not turning up is a result of all of these decisions and it's a bit rich to be blaming them for the current state of the Club.

If anything, the supporters are the ony thing that is holding this Club together right now.

Well said UP! You could probably add the constant stream of Tyre Kickers over the last 18 months, who were supposed to lead us to the promised land and at various times we have all hung our hat on. Many are just battle weary and have said enough is enough.

The crowds will slowly return, when the stayaways (for want of a better word) see that progress is being made (that means both on and off the field) and that their £24 is not just going down the drain.

Anyone brave/foolhardy/pig-headed enough to dispute this?

I don't think the state of the club can be layed at the feet of the stay away fans at the moment. But if it keeps up even if we start to climb the league then they really do have to start looking at themselves and how much they really do love SFC.

I think our gates are a disgrace. Also I hope the club could reward the fans who are sticking with the club now in the future if things get better. Not sure how but it would be nice.

Thought the game last night was great and these kids do deserve better from us. Because its not their fault that we find ourselves in this state.

Why dont the club give all ST holders another ticket for the game againts Watford or Coventry to give to a family member or friend and fill up the ground starting with the Chapel end. Understand some ST's holders will be upset giving away a free ticket but if it meant that a few of them came back and purchased tickets for another match it may be worth it. Would be good to see the Chapel full as well.

Wonderful post. Deserves to be cut and pasted and repeated in front of any and all flatcaps.

Anyone brave/foolhardy/pig-headed enough to dispute this?

I wouldn't dispute some of his points but I would readily dispute they are reasons for fans staying away. They are just smokescreens to the real reason and that is the return of Lowe. Branfoot, Wigley, the recession of the early 90's etc etc all had limited impact compared to what we see today.

As others more eloquent than me have said it is the stay away spitefull silly little fans who will bring this club down and force a fire sale that would make this summer's movements look like a gentle car boot at a village fete.

Well said UM.

Sums things up very well UP.

Sad to believe some are still peddling nonsense which blames the fans rather than those with managerial and financial responsibility. Perhaps those in place (past & present) are/were simply not up to the job?

Still, far better to sit on some rather sad pedestal and blame the "flat caps, sad ignorant individuals and vacous cretins" of recent posts than consider a seemingly unpalettable alternative. With these sort of attitudes and fans having been used to being treated as customers . . . . perhaps it's no surprise that some stay away? Isn't that a customer's perogative?

Disingenuous to blame the customers for the lack of profitability and success of a company rather than the various people who have run it rather badly the past few years.

Undoubtedly there are many reasons why people stay away, the economic situation, being one, but ultimately anybody who stays away has their own personal reasons for doing so and those reasons must be at least respected even if others do not agree with them.

Ultimately, there are exceptional and peculiar circumstances that this business operates under being in the entertainment business, but also having a strong element of fanatical support. The board has therefore mistakenly assumed that their customers will continue to support the team regardless of which division we are in and that provided costs do not increase unecessarily they will not be a factor either.

Well, they are mistaken. Apart from the basic concept that customers do not like to be taken for granted, the very board itself is divisive, with a large percentage of the customer base despising them. Until they are replaced, there will never be the unity that is necessary to move forward. They don't have the money to invest in the quality new players needed to add to the youngsters to gain promotion, so we will just bump along the bottom, selling the most promising players to keep afloat financially.

The biggest mistake they have made so far though, is in not recognising that the price for the product is not good value and they have done nothing to address this at all. It was naive in the extreme to assume that just because we are fans we would accept paying the same money that we paid to watch the stars of the footballing World in the Premiership as we would to watch the youngsters that we could watch for free last season.

Attendances would increase to a certain extent if we won most games, but the board need to address their pricing policies to encourage people to attend because they are getting value, not just because we might be winning games intermittingly.

Until they address this problem, then the blame for falling attendances lies firmly at their door.

Then why are so many saying that they are needed to return to stave off financial meltdown?

But thats a bit like opening the cupboard, nothing in there to drink except floor polish and a bottle of listerine.... sometimes its better to go thirsty.

Have idiots in the ground who give grief to the players, give grief to the manager and board, give grief to other supporters because they wont stand up or they wont sing or they wont sit down.... sometimes its just best that SOME people stay away.

Putting bums on seats IS the overall target BUT when the bums are ****holes then in my mind we are all better of with them not being there.

Brilliant post and everyone take note not a hint of a blame. So if the moaners would like to step up to the plate and criticise or challenge Battersea's comments then feel free I'll be interested in your whinging about ticket prices and the global economy vs the need to support the club financially. Football lives to a different set of rules and in its own micro-economy and its survived worse downturns than the current problems, so there are few genuine excuses other than your desire to watch 'Premiership' football only, by a club managed as a temporary toy by some bored oligarch.

If we continue to take Wes Tender's and Puff's view amongst many then lets continue to blame the board both past and present. Even Crouch and his cronies had the good sense to fix season ticket prices very competitively with their March Madness offer in line with our peer group so if you chose to ignore that offer more fool you or were you just a plastic waiting for the drop into League 1 and ready to walk away if boot boy didn't deliver (which he didn't, Wright did.).

£17 a game seems like good value to me especially based on the entertainment on offer on Tuesday but as any geniune fan will tell you some weaker souls dress up the entertainment factor as an over-inflated level of expectation on their part and that's why so many people from an early age choose to support the big teams of their day and not their local team. Wes and Co stop your boring moaning about ticket prices as you chose to miss out on the offers no one else and if you want perceived 'value' go and watch Chelsea or others of their ilk. Personally, I'm enjoying my football more than at any time since our relegation season.

Saturdays game is very important to future attendances as it is on sky and will be seen by all.To often in the past we have played well only to then be on the telly and serve up a nightmare display which is what the non attendees base their judgements on.

I feel this game is worth a lot more than just 3 points it could be vital to our future income stream and the atmosphere at st marys.

Saturdays game is very important to future attendances as it is on sky and will be seen by all.To often in the past we have played well only to then be on the telly and serve up a nightmare display which is what the non attendees base their judgements on.

I feel this game is worth a lot more than just 3 points it could be vital to our future income stream and the atmosphere at st marys.

Spot on.A win Saturday will bring in 18K plus next home game.

I think a level of consistency ( rare for Saints) is what will bring people back.......to be honest I was going to come back having been told of the Derby performance and standard of football improved............but then watching the Blackpool debacle made me think......."I don't want to watch such poor football"............now Saints are on a 2 match winning "streak" I am looking and thinking......"another false dawn".........

........Saturday on TV will tell..........and will have effect on future attendances.........another weak performance like Blackpool and I think about 13,000 at next game!!

With all due respect, the team that reached the play offs a couple of seasons back was obviously much better than the current team (I would wager a bet that the current team don't finish as high as 6th this season).

Ummmmmm, not sure UM?? That team was inconsistant and lacked passion throughout the season. They only played when they realised they had a chance and getting into the play offs and again when we played Derby in the 2nd leg. The two outstanding players who, imo, performed all seaosn were Bale and Jones, both came through the academy and both played for the club and team with pride and passion throughout the season.

The current team is playing better technical football; their passing is far more accurrate, their pace much faster. What they lack is the experience.

I would rather watch this team than any produced under Pearson, Burley or Redcrapp.

Guest Hacienda
But thats a bit like opening the cupboard, nothing in there to drink except floor polish and a bottle of listerine.... sometimes its better to go thirsty.

Have idiots in the ground who give grief to the players, give grief to the manager and board, give grief to other supporters because they wont stand up or they wont sing or they wont sit down.... sometimes its just best that SOME people stay away.

Putting bums on seats IS the overall target BUT when the bums are ****holes then in my mind we are all better of with them not being there.

In that case don't mither than they aren't there and don't point the finger at them for lose of revenue.

You cannot have it both ways.

Brilliant post and everyone take note not a hint of a blame. So if the moaners would like to step up to the plate and criticise or challenge Battersea's comments then feel free

OK. You're on. I suspect that I'll make a better job at putting forward some salient points than you did in answer to Um Pahar's post. My response will be directly against his points, shown below

I'll be interested in your whinging about ticket prices and the global economy vs the need to support the club financially. Football lives to a different set of rules and in its own micro-economy and its survived worse downturns than the current problems, so there are few genuine excuses other than your desire to watch 'Premiership' football only, by a club managed as a temporary toy by some bored oligarch.

You just don't get it, do you? Any more than Lowe and Wilde don't get it either. Ticket prices and the global economy impacting on the ability or the desire for fans to attend cannot realistically be compared to the need to support the club financially. If people make their own decisions that they cannot afford to go, or do not want to pay that amount, then that is up to them and does not make them a worse fan because their own priorities make more sense to them. As I already said, this is what the board rely on, but they need a reality check. As for football having survived this sort of crisis before, there was not the competition from seeing matches televised to this extent before. So you can still watch your team without leaving your armchair, so be realistic about the changing situation at least.

If we continue to take Wes Tender's and Puff's view amongst many then lets continue to blame the board both past and present.

Yes. Let's. The first sensible thing you've said so far.

Even Crouch and his cronies had the good sense to fix season ticket prices very competitively with their March Madness offer in line with our peer group so if you chose to ignore that offer more fool you or were you just a plastic waiting for the drop into League 1 and ready to walk away if boot boy didn't deliver (which he didn't, Wright did.).

What a lot of idiotic tosh! Who brought Wright in on loan? Perry and Lucketti too. And surely it was a sensible thing to do to wait until it was known whether we would be playing in the division below, as surely even you would not be stupid enough to believe that prices to watch the youngsters play in league one would be set at the same level as it is now. Oh, on second thoughts, I can see that would be a possibility, as Lowe still reckons that it is entirely reasonable to charge the same as when we were a Premiership club.

£17 a game seems like good value to me

Presumably you're talking about the cost per match had a March Madness ST been purchased? Otherwise, the cost is £24 upwards and it is that price which does not represent value and is probably putting off many.

especially based on the entertainment on offer on Tuesday but as any geniune fan will tell you some weaker souls dress up the entertainment factor as an over-inflated level of expectation on their part and that's why so many people from an early age choose to support the big teams of their day and not their local team. Wes and Co stop your boring moaning about ticket prices as you chose to miss out on the offers no one else and if you want perceived 'value' go and watch Chelsea or others of their ilk. Personally, I'm enjoying my football more than at any time since our relegation season.

I've already pulled you up for your arrogance in suggesting this. If you can't stand the moaning on this forum, go and post on the Chelski board. Perceived value at Chelsea is operated on the basis that they could fill the stadium many times over at those prices for most matches against some of the best teams in World football. In our case, we are charging prices commensurate with some Premiership clubs to watch youngsters in a half empty stadium. If you can't see that, then you're obviously not a good businessman, as these things are absolutely basic. These principles constitute what is known as supply and demand.

Battersea Saint

Originally Posted by batterseasaint

Fair enough on both points

Again, nothing to argue about here, either, although personally I'd rather have Rasiak instead of Paterson, accepting though that we are so p*ss poor we can't afford him.

Here is where I don't agree. There is no proof whatsoever that Pearson could not have stayed and having jettisoned the older players because of financial restraints, played mostly the youngsters. I also contest your assertion that Pearson could not have motivated some of the older players to a better performance level, as it seemed to me that he had already been producing some improvement with some of them.

The jury is out on that one. The results have been mixed as even you have admitted. We might have turned a corner, or we might have had a lucky night. Time will tell

Why? Why should it be half-arsed? Lowe is slowly putting the heart back in the club you say, but most agree that he and Wilde are the two most divisive forces against unity in the fan base in the club's history. Their replacement by others who might also bring more money to the table than Lowe/Wilde is also a good reason to prefer a takeover by a consortium or indeed a wealthy individual.

Yes, but what have the board done to encourage the return of those fans? Nothing.

And even if we do have them playing to a full stadium, the increased revenue will only ensure that we avoid administration and keep afloat. It will not mean that if the cream of the crop of youngsters get approaches from Premiership clubs offering to double, treble or quadruple their wages they will not be off like a shot. Would you stay under the same circumstances in their position?

A wonderful post. :smt023

Every real Saints fan does. But Um Pahars can't stand to admit that anything Rupert Lowe does could possibly be positive for Saints.

Well, I'm sure that you spent many a happy hour watching every available home reserve or academy match where most of these players were on show for free...

And yet another poster who deems himself worthy of speaking on behalf of others. What makes you the spokesman of every real Saints fan, Red & White? Define real Saints fans for me. Presumably by your inferred definition, anybody who liked watching any of the teams of the previous three managers doesn't qualify as a real Saints fan. How about those who do not attend matches for whatever reason, real fans of not? I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

originally posted by batterseasaint

i'm one of those 'stay-away' fans, not for any political reason, but partly because of geographical reasons, and partly because of huge disillusionment over what has gone on with the team over the last couple of years.

fair enough on both points

however, i went to the ipswich game and then, against my better judgement, i went again last night. I found the ipswich game frustrating, because there was some great football (surman's goal) but also incredibly naive defending. But last night, i thoroughly enjoyed it. We played some excellent football, of which we should all be proud. It made it all the more enjoyable that it was all created by kids that have come through our youth team. Give me lancashire over powell any time, or paterson over rasiak.

again, nothing to argue about here, either, although personally i'd rather have rasiak instead of paterson, accepting though that we are so p*ss poor we can't afford him.

not necessarily saying that paterson is better than rasiak, but my point is it is refreshing to see players who seem to want to play for saints out on the pitch. We have had more than our fair share of under-performing players on the gravy-train over the last few years.

i know his hands are tied financially, but rupert lowe must be given some credit for the approach he is taking. The easy thing to do would have been to appoint pearson again and we would carry on struggling to make ends meet with no money and a bunch of mercenary players who are more interested in whether they get a contract renewal at the end of the season rather than collective team success.

here is where i don't agree. There is no proof whatsoever that pearson could not have stayed and having jettisoned the older players because of financial restraints, played mostly the youngsters. I also contest your assertion that pearson could not have motivated some of the older players to a better performance level, as it seemed to me that he had already been producing some improvement with some of them.

true, no proof whatsoever. However, i can absolutely bet my bottom dollar that pearson wouldn't have had the same commitment as poortvliet to playing the style of football we are, with the personnel we are. I am quite sure he will have tried to build a hard-working, experienced side, with a smattering of youngsters and bargain-basement oldies with lots of experience at this and lower levels. At least lowe has had the balls to throw out the rule-book and try something different. I have no doubt that pearson would have been able to motivate the older players, but the point is, there would be no way of differentiating that approach from that of, say, barnsley and doncaster. To prove my point, look at the comparison in attitude between saints fans and barnsley fans right now. At least a reasonable percentage of saints fans right now see the future as pretty exciting because we are doing something a little different; barnsley fans are looking with trepidation to the rest of the season, knowing it is going to be a long, hard slog. As i said, hats off to rupert for trying something different, which he no doubt knew he wouldn't get from pearson, after their long and protracted conversations at the end of last season.

instead, he took a gamble and appointed an unknown who at least would follow the philosophy that lowe wants. It still remains a gamble, but having spent a thoroughly enjoyable evening at st mary's last night, i have confidence that it might just work.

the jury is out on that one. The results have been mixed as even you have admitted. We might have turned a corner, or we might have had a lucky night. Time will tell.

true. Which is why i say 'i have confidence that it might just work'. I'm a natural born pessimist when it comes to saints, but i saw a chink of light this week. The football we played did not just appear against norwich; it has been evident all season. However, we have let ourselves down with naive defending and silly mistakes. Our young players have learnt quickly and adapted, the result being 3 clean sheets. This more than anything gives me hope that this season could yet be a good one. The next step up is to keep clean sheets against the top clubs. If we can achieve that regularly, we will see ourselves in the play-offs.

in my opinion, rupert lowe is slowly putting the heart back into the club. A half-arsed consortium takeover right now could be the worst thing to happen to us.

why? Why should it be half-arsed? Lowe is slowly putting the heart back in the club you say, but most agree that he and wilde are the two most divisive forces against unity in the fan base in the club's history. Their replacement by others who might also bring more money to the table than lowe/wilde is also a good reason to prefer a takeover by a consortium or indeed a wealthy individual.

because all the 'evidence' of takeovers i have seen so far appear to be half-arsed; a series of wealthy-ish individuals clubbing together, and not quite getting enough cash together to make it happen. Let's be honest, if anyone had the money and the inclination to make it happen thus far, they would have done. What we will get instead is some consortium or other just about getting enough cash together to buy out the shares at lowe's over-inflated price, leaving very little to go on investment into the club. What little funds there are will stretch to buying a few experienced players which will create a team of mediocrity. Our 'unknown' manager will be sacked and replaced by a 'name' such as, i don't know, joe kinnear, for example. We will then wallow in mid-table mediocrity, watching incredibly mediocre football, while the fans will be sat there wondering 'what-if' about that young team we once had that showed so much promise.

the major problem now is that too many fans stay away and continue to stay away, further threatening us financially.

yes, but what have the board done to encourage the return of those fans? Nothing.

true, absolutely nothing. And didn't we also sack our commercial director in the summer as a cost cutting exercise? Surely a full-time commercial director would at least be coming up with some ideas. The board need to act, and act quickly. At the moment, they seem to be hoping that team performances will bring the crowds back. In today's financial climate, that alone will not see people like me flooding back in their thousands. They need to incentivise us in some way.

fwiw

BatterseaSaint

because all the 'evidence' of takeovers i have seen so far appear to be half-arsed; a series of wealthy-ish individuals clubbing together, and not quite getting enough cash together to make it happen. Let's be honest, if anyone had the money and the inclination to make it happen thus far, they would have done. What we will get instead is some consortium or other just about getting enough cash together to buy out the shares at lowe's over-inflated price, leaving very little to go on investment into the club. What little funds there are will stretch to buying a few experienced players which will create a team of mediocrity. Our 'unknown' manager will be sacked and replaced by a 'name' such as, i don't know, joe kinnear, for example. We will then wallow in mid-table mediocrity, watching incredibly mediocre football, while the fans will be sat there wondering 'what-if' about that young team we once had that showed so much promise.

Thank you for an intelligent response and I agree with most of what you say, your points are well made, even if we have a slightly different perspective.

It is only the above section that I chose to debate further. I don't accept that the price required to buy out Lowe's shares needs necessarily to be over-inflated. It could be that he and Wilde might accept that here was a chance to make at least something back on their shareholdings rather than risk getting nothing in the event of administration.

The low attendance numbers must be a serious concern to them and if a consortium made a reasonable offer to take over the club, Lowe and Wilde would incur the wrath of the fans if the consortium proved they have money to invest in the team, but made it clear that some of that money earmarked for team improvements would be swallowed up by Lowe and Wilde wanting more than a reasonable amount for their shares. The board of the PLC would have a duty to accept offers deemed to be in the interests of the PLC and would be obliged to put the offer before all shareholders. If it seemed that their own personal greed was a factor in their refusal to accept a takeover, then IMO that is the time that the weapon of last resort might well be used to oust them. That weapon is a mass boycott of home games by the fans. One or two of these demonstrations would have the bank ordering them to accept the takeover, or else they will pull the plug on their loans. I believe that it is only under these circumstances that a fan boycott would achieve the widespread support needed for it to be effective, but I'm equally convinced that it would quickly produce the desired effect of forcing Lowe/Wilde to sell for a reasonable amount. It might well be that the boycott is unecessary and that merely the threat of it is sufficient incentive to concentrate their minds. ;)

Regarding your scenario of JP being sacked, a mediocre manager being appointed to buy mediocre players who will give us unexciting mid-table obscurity, surely it does not need to be like that at all. What if the result of the new people coming in was that the main movers behind it were Saints fans who had appreciated the good aspects of Lowe's experiment and instead of the pettiness that has been prevalent between the egos of the past, were pragmatic enough to admit what was good and only attempt to improve what was not good enough? What if the money brought in was used to not only keep the youngsters here long term to develop and grow with us, but to bring in the quality players to supplement them and give more strength in depth? We have the nucleous of a good squad here and there only needs to be some fine tuning with it. Why shouldn't anybody taking us over realise that?

The big plus though, is that the new people, totally divorced from any connection to the protagonists who caused our downfall, would have the moral authority to issue a rallying cry to the fans to come and join them in a united attempt in restoring the club to its former glory. One of the things I dislike the most about our current situation is the division and antagonism between fans, most of whom only want the best for the club.

Why dont the club give all ST holders another ticket for the game againts Watford or Coventry to give to a family member or friend and fill up the ground starting with the Chapel end. Understand some ST's holders will be upset giving away a free ticket but if it meant that a few of them came back and purchased tickets for another match it may be worth it. Would be good to see the Chapel full as well.

excellent idea which the club should consider

Every real Saints fan does. But Um Pahars can't stand to admit that anything Rupert Lowe does could possibly be positive for Saints.

That's almost as lazy as the line trotted out by a few loons on here that most of us want the Club to lose so "we can be proved right".

Complete nonsense and when praise is worthy then I will (and have been) the first to deliver it.

I'm sure GM could even dig out some of my old posts where I have been supportive of Lowe and was happy to give him him praise.

Ummmmmm, not sure UM?? That team was inconsistant and lacked passion throughout the season. They only played when they realised they had a chance and getting into the play offs and again when we played Derby in the 2nd leg. The two outstanding players who, imo, performed all seaosn were Bale and Jones, both came through the academy and both played for the club and team with pride and passion throughout the season.

The current team is playing better technical football; their passing is far more accurrate, their pace much faster. What they lack is the experience.

I would rather watch this team than any produced under Pearson, Burley or Redcrapp.

I would much rather watch a winning team, and I'm sure that the current team won't win as many as that play off team did (if they do then I would only too happily accept you are right).

The only way that football teams get judged is by the number of points they amass and 11 points after 9 games (although it is early days) is not a patch on 75 points from 46 games.

I've only seen four games so far, but the parts of the first three was some of the worst stuff I have seen for ages. The Norwich game was much, much better, but we have to be consistent and get points on the board if you're going to convince me that this team is better than that play off team.

Of course it could be (i.e. it has potential), but as we stand here today the record of the two teams is not comparable.

I've only seen four games so far, but the parts of the first three was some of the worst stuff I have seen for ages.

Did you go at all (even if it was just to SMS) last season? If you did then you simply cannot stand by a word of the above statement. Unless, that is, your definition of ages is June & July?

PS I take it this is not one of those occasion when you are the first to give credit and praise where it is due?

Did you go at all (even if it was just to SMS) last season? If you did then you simply cannot stand by a word of the above statement. Unless, that is, your definition of ages is June & July?

PS I take it this is not one of those occasion when you are the first to give credit and praise where it is due?

Well I suggest you go and read my Norwich Match Reaction post then if you want praise where it's due.

I also didn't think our performances at the back end of last season were that bad, and compared to the Barnsley game this season (where I was soooo bored) then they were much better. The Ipswich game was on a par with some of the dour stuff served up at the end of Burley's reign (so maybe my ages relates back to that point!;)).

Well I suggest you go and read my Norwich Match Reaction post then if you want praise where it's due.

I also didn't think our performances at the back end of last season were that bad, and compared to the Barnsley game this season (where I was soooo bored) then they were much better. The Ipswich game was on a par with some of the dour stuff served up at the end of Burley's reign (so maybe my ages relates back to that point!;)).

I struggle to understand how you are unable to see that some of the football we have played, and continue to try and play, this season, does not compare favourbaly with the disappointing dross served up much of last year under both Burley & Pearson.

May be its my time of life, but I am walking away proud of and encouraged by the team's efforts and displays this season. I don't recall doing that much at all last year (possibly with the exception of Bristol City at home)

Yesterday i emailed David Luker to see if the club had any ticket promotions lined up ala Sheff Utd & this was his response:

Hi Lee

We are looking at ways of boosting the crowd numbers, although winning games is the sure-fire way of doing this!

Discounting tickets is a dangerous game as you start to erode the main benefit of a season ticket, and whilst you may not mind this, many would. This would eventually lead to poor renewals next year meaning we are robbing peter to pay paul. Remember, this happened a lot in the year after we were relegated and supporters were very unhappy and we lost many, many season ticket holders because of such schemes.

We will continue to see what we can feasibly do without risking upsetting our core market

Best wishes

David

Guest Hacienda
I struggle to understand how you are unable to see that some of the football we have played, and continue to try and play, this season, does not compare favourbaly with the disappointing dross served up much of last year under both Burley & Pearson.

May be its my time of life, but I am walking away proud of and encouraged by the team's efforts and displays this season. I don't recall doing that much at all last year (possibly with the exception of Bristol City at home)

You'd be hard pressed to argue that the performances against Barnsley, Blackpool and QPR were any less pants thatn anything last season.

Just because it's willing nipper playing crap doesn't make it less so.

That said, at other times, some of the football has put last season into sharp relief.

Yesterday i emailed David Luker to see if the club had any ticket promotions lined up ala Sheff Utd & this was his response:

Hi Lee

We are looking at ways of boosting the crowd numbers, although winning games is the sure-fire way of doing this!

Discounting tickets is a dangerous game as you start to erode the main benefit of a season ticket, and whilst you may not mind this, many would. This would eventually lead to poor renewals next year meaning we are robbing peter to pay paul. Remember, this happened a lot in the year after we were relegated and supporters were very unhappy and we lost many, many season ticket holders because of such schemes.

We will continue to see what we can feasibly do without risking upsetting our core market

Best wishes

David

Season ticket holders in cutting off nose to spite face shocker! ;)

As Mr Luker says, winning games will naturally boost attendances (due to the increase in quality of the commodity on offer) but, paradoxically of course, a good crowd boosts the chances of starting a run of winning games in the first place. So, a few "one off" discounts to get a better match between "quality" and "price" is sensible economics.

Season ticket holders shouldn't go into a season with "it's only about the value I get" blinkers on. They are effectively buying shares in the club and, as we all know, the price (value) of shares can go up and down depending on the fortunes of the company being invested in.

Season ticket holders 'moaning' about non-season ticket holders getting 'perks' is missing the simple economics of the situation.

IMHO of course

Edited by trousers