14480 Attendance tonight

exit2

I think part of the issue has been that good peformances have been followed by bad performances on Sky. Those are the games that the "floating" fan sees.

you hit the nail on the head, we had great displays against Derby and Birmingham and then 2 crap games against QPR and Blackpool on sky and like you say the floating fans sees this and thinks things are just alot worse when really it seems more of a blip. That and the table position after those results

Well the majority seem to think that is the best team, playing the best football for a couple of years. It really is small minded people who quote that they are not going because of Lowe. It is the club, the team, the players that I support; I will passionately pay and watch Saints in whatever division we play in; when will people realise that we will not oust Lowe, we did not oust Lowe last time, shareholders did that and only a few at that.

The players need our support, and the few that say they go to away games, what all 1000 of you, how about the other 12-14k that have disappeared???

The problem with saints fans isn't turning up / not turning up to games, but the judgmental crap that spouts from some keyboard heroes who wish to turn non attendance into a "i'm a better fan than you", "Stay away? You should be ashamed!" argument, when frankly, there isn't an argument to be had.

Thankfully, between 13,000 and 14,000 of us are bemused by your 'protest' and look forward to seeing you back at SMS when you realise you may actually be missing out on something worthwhile. Personally, you will be about as welcome as the plastic premiership fans or god forbid some half-baked consortium based takeover.

The future of this club is in the hands of those at the club today from groundstaff all the way through to the players, coaches and directors. Deal with it and support their collective efforts or find another club worthy of your so called support.

Just to point out where you contradict yourself. On the one hand you castigate those who stay away and then tell them that they won't be welcome when they return. And I'm sure that the 13/14,000 are happy that you have chosen yourself as their spokesman to explain how they all feel.

Personally I would welcome a consortium takeover with open arms. For one thing I'm assuming that they will have more money available than this current shower to keep us afloat. For another, the current lot are hugely devisive and apart from people like you and Scabby, most would welcome the unity that they would bring to the fanbase.

As for your last sentence, what brazen arrogance to demand that anybody who doesn't like what is happening to our club should go and support somebody else. To plagiarise you, "You sad ignorant individual. Are you just simple or just a vindictive, vacuous cretin?"

When you were ranting on about Crouch with every post when he was chairman, what would you have thought had somebody told you that if you didn't like it, go and support another club?

I would yes.

Me and about 20,000 others who refuse to turn up to see a reserve team play.

As long as 14,000 muppets keep turning up we will never get the club we all yearn for.

Administration means bye bye to Lallana and Surman for peanuts, closure of the academy, selling off the land, the stadium and the training ground and more than likely a current encumbant buying 100% control of the club. What are you hoping administration will do?

I think the stay aways (because of Lowe) are probably a higher number than people on here would imagine. I also don't think closing the corners helped in fan/club relations.

I am not saying I agree with 'stay aways' but I understand their rationale.

I think if we could string together a decent run then we could claw a few back.

The sad fact is that people are staying away because of Lowe.

Rightly or wrongly, the very fact Lowe has come back has knocked the stuffing and passion out of a lot of fans, that some now prefer to play than watching at weekends, or doing something different all together.

I also believe the Itchen Corner closure has another small part to play in declining attendances. It was an area of the ground where lads could congregate and have a good drink pre-match, half time, after etc but the fact that the first blocks have been shut has stopped 40-50 non renewals and the occasional non regular crowd that would follow because of the social side of it.

That said, the lads are playing some tidy football and I can imagine it is eating into a lot of fans not being there, but some really have made the stand.

They'll be back one day, if the debt can go, we will rise again.

Support the lads

Just to point out where you contradict yourself. On the one hand you castigate those who stay away and then tell them that they won't be welcome when they return. And I'm sure that the 13/14,000 are happy that you have chosen yourself as their spokesman to explain how they all feel.

Personally I would welcome a consortium takeover with open arms. For one thing I'm assuming that they will have more money available than this current shower to keep us afloat. For another, the current lot are hugely devisive and apart from people like you and Scabby, most would welcome the unity that they would bring to the fanbase.

As for your last sentence, what brazen arrogance to demand that anybody who doesn't like what is happening to our club should go and support somebody else. To plagiarise you, "You sad ignorant individual. Are you just simple or just a vindictive, vacuous cretin?"

When you were ranting on about Crouch with every post when he was chairman, what would you have thought had somebody told you that if you didn't like it, go and support another club?

Exactly. These people do not get it even now. Sorry but we (15000-20000) believe we are supporting and providing funds to Lowe Disunited not the Saints I have worshiped for over 30 good and bad years.

And if Admin then so be it - as other clubs have done we would start all over again without the disease that is chummy boy and his crew. It would be painful but it is preferable to the dire shambles that this club has become under Lowe.

And we can still go to away games cant we!

The sad fact is that people are staying away because of Lowe.

Rightly or wrongly, the very fact Lowe has come back has knocked the stuffing and passion out of a lot of fans, that some now prefer to play than watching at weekends, or doing something different all together.

I also believe the Itchen Corner closure has another small part to play in declining attendances. It was an area of the ground where lads could congregate and have a good drink pre-match, half time, after etc but the fact that the first blocks have been shut has stopped 40-50 non renewals and the occasional non regular crowd that would follow because of the social side of it.

That said, the lads are playing some tidy football and I can imagine it is eating into a lot of fans not being there, but some really have made the stand.

They'll be back one day, if the debt can go, we will rise again.

Support the lads

I think some people are staying away because of Lowe, but more than that are staying away because they are skint or have weighed up the options as to where they spend their money. As you said, a few wins and some will drift back again.

I doubt that more than 250, may be 500 if I am generous, are staying away purely because of the Lowe/Wilde alliance.

I would suggest the majority of last seasons "regulars" simply got fed up with the last few seasons crap and with mainly young, untried players at this level coming in could not see any chance of an improvement. Coupled with the economic crisis hitting most of our pockets and £26 to £28 a game plus other costs associated it is perhaps understandable that gates have hit such a low level.

A few wins, good football entertainment and a climb up the table and gates will no doubt improve to near to last seasons levels.

Those who did not attend last night missed a cracker of a game.

I spoke to a Norwich fan outside a burger van after the match.

After finishing his rant about Roeder, he mentioned our attendance.

This was his first visit to SMS since that amazing 4-3 game in our relegation season.

He was shocked at our turn out!

He said on that day, and on previous visits to The Dell we always had fantastic passion

:mad::(

Sorry Wes but you've missed the point for me ... I don't agree with everything Sundance says but as far as I'm aware he didn't stop supporting his team despite what he thought of the previous Board. It would appear that those you are defending have?

do they count all season ticket holders whether they go or not ?

Yes they do.

I wonder how many people are truly staying away becuse of Lowe, Saints always had a average of 21-22k when there was space at the Dell last season we had a few gates around that figure, so 6-7k people have turned their back on seeing Saints at home because of 1 part of the club.

As much as I am not enamoured by Lowe and Wilde I still support Southampton Football club the, only thing that staying away is going to do is drag the club ever downwards.

The Football I am watching this season is refreshing and honest and at times sublime, for the first time in a few seasons I feel that I am getting value for the ticket that I have purchased; nail Coventry on Saturday and the gate will be up......................... We are going to seriously spank someone this season at St Mary's and I want to be there to see it.

After all the Pro Lowe/Anti Lowe/I just support the team stuff, my excuse of money being tight and not being able to get the time off work to travel sounds a bit tame.:D

I do think the low attendances are a bit to do with the current economic slowdown to be fair. Coupled with uncertainty over how the team will fair it makes it less likely people will spend money on something that could ultimately leave them feeling cold.

I'm one of those 'stay-away' fans, not for any political reason, but partly because of geographical reasons, and partly because of huge disillusionment over what has gone on with the team over the last couple of years.

However, I went to the Ipswich game and then, against my better judgement, I went again last night. I found the Ipswich game frustrating, because there was some great football (Surman's goal) but also incredibly naive defending. But last night, I thoroughly enjoyed it. We played some excellent football, of which we should all be proud. It made it all the more enjoyable that it was all created by kids that have come through our youth team. Give me Lancashire over Powell any time, or Paterson over Rasiak.

I know his hands are tied financially, but Rupert Lowe must be given some credit for the approach he is taking. The easy thing to do would have been to appoint Pearson again and we would carry on struggling to make ends meet with no money and a bunch of mercenary players who are more interested in whether they get a contract renewal at the end of the season rather than collective team success.

Instead, he took a gamble and appointed an unknown who at least would follow the philosophy that Lowe wants. It still remains a gamble, but having spent a thoroughly enjoyable evening at St Mary's last night, I have confidence that it might just work.

In my opinion, Rupert Lowe is slowly putting the heart back into the club. A half-arsed consortium takeover right now could be the worst thing to happen to us.

The major problem now is that too many fans stay away and continue to stay away, further threatening us financially.

My pledge is that I will now make a much greater effort to go to games, as I saw a new set of Saints heroes last night, and I can't wait to see how Lancashire, Mills, Lallana and Paterson develop from here. If this is the quality of players that we are creating, both our present and future can be very bright, as long as these players are allowed to flourish at our club. They can only do that if the likes of myself come to support them, and therefore not force the club to cash in on them.

I'm one of those 'stay-away' fans, not for any political reason, but partly because of geographical reasons, and partly because of huge disillusionment over what has gone on with the team over the last couple of years.

However, I went to the Ipswich game and then, against my better judgement, I went again last night. I found the Ipswich game frustrating, because there was some great football (Surman's goal) but also incredibly naive defending. But last night, I thoroughly enjoyed it. We played some excellent football, of which we should all be proud. It made it all the more enjoyable that it was all created by kids that have come through our youth team. Give me Lancashire over Powell any time, or Paterson over Rasiak.

I know his hands are tied financially, but Rupert Lowe must be given some credit for the approach he is taking. The easy thing to do would have been to appoint Pearson again and we would carry on struggling to make ends meet with no money and a bunch of mercenary players who are more interested in whether they get a contract renewal at the end of the season rather than collective team success.

Instead, he took a gamble and appointed an unknown who at least would follow the philosophy that Lowe wants. It still remains a gamble, but having spent a thoroughly enjoyable evening at St Mary's last night, I have confidence that it might just work.

In my opinion, Rupert Lowe is slowly putting the heart back into the club. A half-arsed consortium takeover right now could be the worst thing to happen to us.

The major problem now is that too many fans stay away and continue to stay away, further threatening us financially.

My pledge is that I will now make a much greater effort to go to games, as I saw a new set of Saints heroes last night, and I can't wait to see how Lancashire, Mills, Lallana and Paterson develop from here. If this is the quality of players that we are creating, both our present and future can be very bright, as long as these players are allowed to flourish at our club. They can only do that if the likes of myself come to support them, and therefore not force the club to cash in on them.

Great post

You sad ignorant individual. Are you just simple or just a vindictive, vacuous cretin? You are no doubt the chav who put the chav in Chaventry as you don't seem to have the intelligence to realise that by avoiding home games you and others like you are not feathering Lowes nest but your action is more akin to dumping in your own home and preventing the opportunity for the club to lay a few more eggs in the nest and continue its re-birth.

Continuing on a feathered theme you show all the attributes of a cuckoo and to put it mildly you are at best completely cuckoo. Even Leon Crouch still supports the team at home and I suspect he has more to be miffed at than you and your pathetic little protest.

People talk about the fantastic support at Doncaster but if half our number were there because they can't see their team play at home because they are prejudice towards the board their support, if we can call it that, is questionable, unhelpful (feathering the nest of our opponents instaed of ourselves) and about as welcome as the bell ringing skate in the Northam.

Clearly, you support a plan of all Saints fans going to away games and stay away from home games just to oust Lowe? If we all did that your plan would succeed but there would be nothing left to takeover. Can your tiny mind understand that? Thankfully, between 13,000 and 14,000 of us are bemused by your 'protest' and look forward to seeing you back at SMS when you realise you may actually be missing out on something worthwhile. Personally, you will be about as welcome as the plastic premiership fans or god forbid some half-baked consortium based takeover.

The future of this club is in the hands of those at the club today from groundstaff all the way through to the players, coaches and directors. Deal with it and support their collective efforts or find another club worthy of your so called support.

More prejudice rhetoric from the scoobylites.

Guest Hacienda
I think some people are staying away because of Lowe, but more than that are staying away because they are skint or have weighed up the options as to where they spend their money. As you said, a few wins and some will drift back again.

Totally and utterly correct.

From another thread.... (didn't want to highlight it in situ to avoid insensitivities)

Whilst writing I would also like to extend my extreme gratitude to those supporters who turned up tonight and gave their vociferous and unconditional support to our young team. I know that the lads appreciate your support very much and their performance tonight did all true Saints fans proud.

Kind regards

Good to hear this sort of feedback IMO

Yes they do.

I wonder how many people are truly staying away becuse of Lowe, Saints always had a average of 21-22k when there was space at the Dell last season we had a few gates around that figure, so 6-7k people have turned their back on seeing Saints at home because of 1 part of the club.

As much as I am not enamoured by Lowe and Wilde I still support Southampton Football club the, only thing that staying away is going to do is drag the club ever downwards.

The Football I am watching this season is refreshing and honest and at times sublime, for the first time in a few seasons I feel that I am getting value for the ticket that I have purchased; nail Coventry on Saturday and the gate will be up......................... We are going to seriously spank someone this season at St Mary's and I want to be there to see it.

But the last few seasons we were at the Dell the average was 15000 with 1500 away fans.

We are actually hitting the same figure now.

I think nearer the truth is that more than half the crowd purchased season tickets before the team news for the season was that everyone would now be paying to see the reserves in action.

Be interesting to see how many purchase next year.

I am bemused by the fact that many fans cannot come clean and admit they have been sold a duck again.

It's a "pup" old boy. I would have bought both of mine and will again. Much better than last year and most of the year before.

Sorry Wes but you've missed the point for me ... I don't agree with everything Sundance says but as far as I'm aware he didn't stop supporting his team despite what he thought of the previous Board. It would appear that those you are defending have?

I think that you've missed the points I made, but perhaps I didn't express them well. Beyond saying elsewhere that if anybody chose to stay away for whatever reason, that is their choice and their reasons are to be respected, I don't think that I otherwise defended those stayaways. That's entirely up to them. Attendance at games is not compulsory.

The main thrust of my post was to ask why Sundance felt that he was qualified to be the voice of all those 13/14000 fans and also to take him to task for his arrogance in suggesting that if anybody was unhappy with any aspect of the club currently that they shut up or go and support some other team. Anything you disagree with there?

I'm not sure that a large majority of the lost 5,000 or so fans are staying away because of Lowe - I would have thought it's more to do with the 'Credit Crunch'. Especially if you usually take the kids as well - it's just far too expensive when you have to make decisions on what 'luxuries' to cut from your life.

I work for the government and in real terms my wages have been dropping year after year due to below inflationary pay rises. If I hadn't have recently got promoted, I would have only been able to scrape enough money together to attend a couple of matches this season.

As it is, I can afford to go more often but all the Home games on a Saturday have co-incided with weddings/stag dos etc. Week nights are no good as the kids have to go to bed early! I've been desparate to see the new team play but the first opportunity I've got is the Watford match and I can't wait!

Finally - the strangely high amount of TV coverage we're getting at the moment can't help attendances. My mate supports Wolves who are getting 1 match so far (in Oct) to our 5 and he can't believe it!

I would yes.

Me and about 20,000 others who refuse to turn up to see a reserve team play.

As long as 14,000 muppets keep turning up we will never get the club we all yearn for.

Well this 'reserve' team play better football than we did last year, have more passion in their little fingers than the team last year and are willing to get stuck in.

The stay-aways are the muppets in my eyes, though you'll come running back when a 'big match' pops up.

I'm not sure that a large majority of the lost 5,000 or so fans are staying away because of Lowe - I would have thought it's more to do with the 'Credit Crunch'.

Why hasn't that affected any other clubs then? Derby get 30,000 a week, Norwich is sold out every week without fail and even QPR manage 14,000 with their silly prices.

There are no excuses for our terrible attendances at the moment.

I wasn't going to go last night with all the stick I'm getting from people I used to call my mates in the Northam stand. But in the end I used my season ticket to get in the chapel end with my dad and enjoyed every minute of the game. Only lowlight was the atmosphere in the chapel was sh!te.

Administration means bye bye to Lallana and Surman for peanuts, closure of the academy, selling off the land, the stadium and the training ground and more than likely a current encumbant buying 100% control of the club. What are you hoping administration will do?

I really don't know why you bother explaining. If people really don't understand the implications of administration, or worse do, and let their prejudices overrule common sense, they don't merit attention.

Wow, that attitude is going to win back a lot of stay-aways...:rolleyes:

We won, we played some terrific football and supporters were thoroughly entertained. Have I won you over yet? Will you and your like be at the next home game? Will you ****.

Stay away `fans' will only ever come back when we are challenging for promotion (if at all) not because supporters talk nicely to them on here.

I really don't know why you bother explaining. If people really don't understand the implications of administration, or worse do, and let their prejudices overrule common sense, they don't merit attention.

there are far too many idiots on here suggesting that adminstration would be a good thing. This theory needs to be put straight now and then otherwise before you know it it has become `FACT' on here.

The only way out of the mess (without a major investor) is to cling onto this division with our fingernails for the next few seasons and with a much lower wage bill we can balance the books, reduce the overdaft and perhaps turn the corner.

I have to say I'm becoming increasingly fed up with every other new post on this forum being about fans / attendance. On page one alone we have the following (very closely) related threads:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2530

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2532

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2563

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2550

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2527

I'm sure everyone appreciates the revenue from attendances is key to our future however people do not need to justify why they do or don't go to games and certainly not to uber-fans who come across as though they are better than others.

Good football will bring them back and like it or not so will the Premiership. SFC is not alone in that attendances fall when droppping a division - it's a fact of life whether people find that hard to swallow or not. I'm open in that I don't go as much as I used too but I went last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Let's try having a few more threads on football rather than the petty point scoring and one-upmanship that is so prevelant right now.

Guest Hacienda
Saints dont need supporters like you. Best you stay away.

Then why are so many saying that they are needed to return to stave off financial meltdown?

the clubs that get big crowds in the CCC sell lots of STs, usually with low entry point prices.

As another comparison, palace got 16000 for the Charlton game last night, a very poor turnpout for a local fixture, so its not only us.

The club will HAVE to either

1. Do much better match by match deals or

2. Sell lots of Sts

to get crowds up..

They really haven't tried hard to do either IMO.

We won, we played some terrific football and supporters were thoroughly entertained. Have I won you over yet? Will you and your like be at the next home game? Will you ****.

Stay away `fans' will only ever come back when we are challenging for promotion (if at all) not because supporters talk nicely to them on here.

its not just stay aways though.

I strongly suspect that lots of people are just going less often.

There are lots of people who like going to see the Saints, but aren't prepared, at the moment to go week in, week out, especially in the uncertain financial climate.

Teens £10

2 games for £30.

3 games for £50

might work.