Markus Liebherr RIP. All tributes here please.

camdijk

Immensely sad news - my thoughts & heartfelt condolences to all his family & friends

He was simply our saviour - a genuine Saint to whom we'll always be grateful. More than that he brought a decency & sense of enjoyment to the ownership of our club.

I'll never forget his taking pictures of the team with his own camera at the JPT Final & I'll always be grateful that Alan & the team won that for him to give him that moment.

Typically he seems to have put plans in place for his ongoing legacy to be carried through his epitaph with Saints.

Markus - I've thanked you from the bottom of my heart once before...again - thank you, thank you so very much RIP

To the Liebhrr family

My heart goes out to you, Markus has left us all a wonderful legacy at Saint Marys Stadium, I'm devastated that he will not see the end result but you can be assured that all Saints fans will remember Markus as the man who saved the football club we love. God bless to you and R.I.P Markus.

I am utterly gutted

We have lost by far the best owner of any club in England ...and a man who had a real passion for the club

His family must be devastated ......as are all his wider "family" in the fans who support the club which he so generously saved

I sincerely hope that we will see Saints back in the Premiership under his family's ownership very soon ...there could be no better tribute to what he wanted to achieve... I am truely sorry that he will not be there in person to see it

RIP Marcus

Markus,

I'm trying to convey in words how genuinely gutted I am for you not to see us get back to the Premiership, but I don't think I'll be able to articulate it in the way I wish, so I'll keep it short.

I really hoped for the gamble that you took that you would us fulfill your dream. Last year you were our hero for saving us. Now you are a true Saint.

RIP Saint Markus, patron Saint of Southampton Football Club. Sleep well big man.

I am not ashamed to say I wept a little in the car when the news broke. So sudden.

Thankyou for a wonderful 13 months Markus, I've had so much fun watching our revival, I hope it gave you the same joy.

For the sake of your memory we must now push on.

Markus Liebherr - a true Saint.

You didnt need to do what you did for this club but the fact you had faith in us and didnt take the easy option with a Premier League club shows the man you were.

Once a Saint, always a Saint. Rest in peace.

I too am in favour of the Markus Liebherr Memorial Stadium or at least a statue. This guy is as important as anyone in our history.

What a shock, and such sad news, a man that none of us knew, but we all took to our hearts, not just because he saved the club, but because he so clearly loved his football and loved Saints. Following on from the tragic news of Adam Stansfield, this is truly a sad day for real football. A year ago Markus gave me the best birthday present imaginable, difficult to think that 13 months on he is no longer with us. RIP Saint Markus.

Markus Liebherr im sure you will be watching from above , a successful man in his own right , a man who would have taken Southampton Football Club to the premier league , a winner who wouldnt stomach losing , a man who put his money into a club sunk with debt , and revitalised us all . One man who had a prefound effect on every one of us . Unfortunatly his life taken short from us .

You will always be in supporters minds everytime we go to St Mary's , im sure your family are very proud of you and all your achievments.

Sympathies to you and your family

R.I.P

34784_419001828814_606203814_4641959_4008503_n.jpg

him on pre season in switzerland.

Wow, what an amazing picture. That's put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye at the same time!

As always in these sad situations, one's first thoughts are those of sympathy to the people most deeply affected. Next are the thoughts of regret that Markus didn't get to see his ambitions realised in full but thankfulness that he was able to give us, and more importantly that Saints were able to give him, a cup win at Wembley. I only hope that Saints can continue to give the same pleasure and pride to his family as they clearly did to him.

As far as I'm concerned, there are only a very select few people who you could call Saints legends. I'm too young to remember Ted Bates in his pomp or to have seen Lawrie Mac's cup winning team or team of the early 80s but those two, along with Matty were my three legends. There are four now.

Thanks for everything Herr Liebherr. We can never truly repay you now but I know I will be roaring the team on with more passion than usual the next time I'm at SMS. And I'll have a lump in my throat.

Thank you.

what a truly shocking bit of news this is.

In a strange way i think this could work in our favour this season, as AP, the team and NC will be even more focused on achieving the goal of promotion, and securing any transfers that this needs.

RIP big man

Would love for you to have seen the five year plan come to fruition and for us to repay the tremendous faith you showed in us during our darkest hour. That you did it with such little fanfare speaks volumes to the kind of person that those closest to you will now miss.

Shall always remember seeing him take his seat, proudly wearing his saints scarf when he had first saved us.

Loved the comment from Cortesse saying that after a victory, can't remember which, his wife told him that Markus had got home and fallen asleep in his chair with a smile on his face.

Such a shame that he didn't see us promoted but am sure he felt some pay back at Wembley.

Quite simply, thank you for saving my club.

RIP

Well, seriously don't know what to say. Shocked and saddened by this horrific news.

I thought the win last night was going to kick start our season but this unfortunate event must surely be it now.

Come on Saints and all fans. Let's unite together and win it for Markus!

RIP. Enjoy your club on its quest up the leagues from above. It all began from your generosity...

You saved our club from extinction, you shared the same dreams for the club that we as supporters did, you were highly respected by all who knew of you and most of which never had the pleasure of meeting you. What a guy and what a loss to all. May you rest peacefully in heaven.

God bless.

You appeared in our darkest hour to save our club. We mourn your passing like that of a favourite uncle. Our thoughts are with your family at this difficult time as they will know first hand, that you were the lovely man that you appeared to us to be at a distance. Thinking of the good times we shared at the JPT final. Good night and God bless you.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})