Kevin Davies

OldNick

thinking about his return when he plays for Bolton tuesday.

Strachans decision to let him leave on a free was probably one of the worst mistakes of his tenure (playing Tessem instaed of Davies in the cup final as well)

Davies has gone on to prove himself as a top PL striker and he was not used enough by WGS. i do understand that BT was on fire but KD was a massive loss

thinking about his return when he plays for Bolton tuesday.

Strachans decision to let him leave on a free was probably one of the worst mistakes of his tenure (playing Tessem instaed of Davies in the cup final as well)

Davies has gone on to prove himself as a top PL striker and he was not used enough by WGS. i do understand that BT was on fire but KD was a massive loss

Agree, but I'm sure many fans would have chosen to do the same - if I remember rightly, Kevin wasn't always entirely loved..

While undoubtably a bad decision, perhaps not Strachan's worst, which for me would be:

1) Failing to find adequate cover for Michael Svensson (made worse by successive managers repeating the same mistake).

2) Failing to take a risk and play Fernandes at Cardiff.

3) Failing to resign when Lowe refused to stump up for Drogba, Saha, Malbranque etc

4) Selecting players based on nationality over ability, cf. Telfer, McCann etc.

TBH he was stagnating at Saints'. He was always a better player than Beattie but never had his hunger (apart from burgers) or desire. I think Strachan (with some help from Allardyce, of course) actually saved his career by bombing him out.

some of that was down to the manager not rating him. WGS was a fitness man and should have worked on that as Allardyce soon got him up to scratch. Man management is so important and I felt KD never had an arm put round him and told that he was a top player.

Self confidence can be very brittle even with pro footballers and that is why some do well at certain clus and not at others.

Agree, but I'm sure many fans would have chosen to do the same - if I remember rightly, Kevin wasn't always entirely loved..

While undoubtably a bad decision, perhaps not Strachan's worst, which for me would be:

1) Failing to find adequate cover for Michael Svensson (made worse by successive managers repeating the same mistake).

2) Failing to take a risk and play Fernandes at Cardiff.

3) Failing to resign when Lowe refused to stump up for Drogba, Saha, Malbranque etc

4) Selecting players based on nationality over ability, cf. Telfer, McCann etc.

no 1 is the main reason why we are where we are where we are now. The Drogba situation was down to us not getting international clearance, i dont know about Saha and Malbranque but I do recall we the rumours were we were trying to buy De foe.

Tessem was chosen ahead of KD for the cup final and that was more important on the day when we were trying to get an equaliser, especially as their back line was weakened and another big forward would hvae been better to have been brought on instead of the powder puff Tessem.

During a Saints radio commentary Matt Le Tissier said that people didn't understand Kevin. That he was a confidence player, and needed fans, manager. colleagues to believe in him. I spotted this sensitivity when his mate got killed, how it really effected him, his play. Sam Allardyce obviously knew this and was able to work near miracles on the lad. For me, Strachan didn't have the patience, man management skill to deal with Kev, Scott MacDonald and one or two others. He preferred someone else worked on them.

I am hoping that one or two players like Kev would consider returning to Saints now they are reaching the end of their Premiership careers. Alan Pardew I'm certain would really get the most our of a player of Kev's caliber.

I came on to start a new thread to spread this exciting news and this thread was top if the board! Spooky!

tell him that he should come back for a third time. I for one would be pleased as he would give us that edge against the big back lines we will face if go up to the CCC. Of course at present there is no chance but in a couple of years

He was good when, as a young player , he came to us from Rotherham I believe. He went to Blackburn where he was poor and had stick from the fans. When he came back to us he always appeared lazy and I was not disappointed to see him go. Must admit though his career blossomed since under Big Sam.

He was good when, as a young player , he came to us from Rotherham I believe. He went to Blackburn where he was poor and had stick from the fans. When he came back to us he always appeared lazy and I was not disappointed to see him go. Must admit though his career blossomed since under Big Sam.

chesterfield I think....

will never forget that goal he scored against everton....shame he never got a look in for England

chesterfield I think....

will never forget that goal he scored against everton....shame he never got a look in for England

Yup, Chesterfield. he rose to fame in that cup run of theirs with the 'disallowed goal'. I agree that it was a big mistake to let him go. A replacement would have cost several million.

Davies, Beattie and one size were the three involved.

Even though Davies was released by Saints immediately after the cup final and One Size was signed just before the following season. I doubt their paths/lines ;) ever crossed.

Davies was rumoured to have turned up late for a home game (Leeds?) not for the first time, where WGS had picked him to start. Was then told he wouldn't play again. He was never considered for the Cup Final.

I don't remember any allegations of substance abuse when he was at Saints. Sounds a bit like hearsay to me. Gossip and rumours, not the band. With regards to his Saints career, I think it was pretty much over when he left us. He looked fairly overweight and was rumoured to be on a fairly heafty wedge too. He needed to move on and I can't remember too many tears be shed when he left. Then I wasn't on Saints Forever in 2003 so maybe I missed it.

Also Tessem came on as a late sub for Anders in the Cup final. Not sure what's particularly wrong with that, I can't see as KD would have made any difference. I think Jo merited an appearance far more than Davies based on that season, although Davies did get an injury time equaliser in the 4th round game at home to Millwall, so we have him to thank for that.

Both Oakley and Davies were slated week in, week out for strolling around the pitch looking disinterested. They were always rated very poor by 90% of the people who commented on match reaction threads. Davies was on enormous wages and playing terribly and we couldn't believe at the time that we'd been lucky enough that another club had taken him on.

Oakley was criticised constantly until he was injured long-term, then he became the very player we needed. Then he came back and wasn't that good and everyone criticised him again. I remember him and Prutton getting arun out in some cup match after relegation and everyone agreeing that they were poor and disinterested and we needed to get rid. Naturally, once he was gone again, he was once more the very player everybody said we were missing.

It's very confusing not being able to get to games and having to read the opinions of others who were at the game. Everyone's rubbish until they're not playing, then they're brilliant. I reckon if Hammond gets injured now and is out for a while, he'll pretty soon be considered our best player. People will go on about how he does the simple stuff nobody notices really well and how he is just what we're missing. Then he'll come back and everyone will say he's **** again.

Even though Davies was released by Saints immediately after the cup final and One Size was signed just before the following season. I doubt their paths/lines ;) ever crossed.

Davies was rumoured to have turned up late for a home game (Leeds?) not for the first time, where WGS had picked him to start. Was then told he wouldn't play again. He was never considered for the Cup Final.

Well he was in the squad and it was between KD or Tessem who took the last place on the bench

Yeah we popped in for a cheeky burger for lunch and there he was, complete with Vietnamese nanny in tow looking after the sprogs.

Is your missus blonde? If so, you sat at the table next to me, my missus and my dear mother - you lucky thing!

We all forget Davies was a donkey at his second spell with us. We gave him enough chances but he always seemed to be lumbering around missing chances. When he went to Bolton he seemed to shed a lot of weight which transformed him. I guess WGS should have tried that.