Sponsorship and Corporate Hospitality

Dave Benson Phillips

Have never seen so few sponsors around the perimeter as yesterday, there was probabaly less than half a dozen non-Football League sponsorship boards around the ground.

Also, the corporate area was emptier than I have ever seen it before... probably less than 50 Corporate Hospitality customers.

I assume that the new marketing bloke is taking charge of this area and might explain why it looks so neglected?

Or maybe SFC are not good value for money in relation to say, The Rose Bowl, for advertising, sponsorship and Corporate Hospitality? I do know not only do we lose alot of revenue to the Rose Bowl, pretty much every Corporate member of staff at the Rose Bowl has left SFC to join them.

Edit - What a stupid title - Mods, please change to " Sponsorship & Corporate Hospitality "

That's ******** they have been like that for a while. The reason is a lot of the boards had been there ages and the agreements had expired.

For ages no one took them down so loads of companies got free advertising.

Source?

Regardless of the reasons anyway, the point is that we seem to be losing a hell of alot of sponsorship and advertising revenue. Have a look round Bristol Rovers next Saturday, or indeed anyone else in our division.

Seeing as we are all so obsessed with SFC maximising revenue. Someone in the Corporate Hospitality / Sponsorship department blatantly needs a rocket up their arse!

yeah did look empty but then i guess its just down to us having no shirt sponsor this season. As for the Rose Bowl, thats only good until cricket season ends.

Corp boxes, seen them emptier i our admin season

I wasn't talking about the boxes, I was talking about the suites. Probably less than 50 seats taken up... when you think the whole Corporate suites combines caters for more than 2000 when full.

Source?

Regardless of the reasons anyway, the point is that we seem to be losing a hell of alot of sponsorship and advertising revenue. Have a look round Bristol Rovers next Saturday, or indeed anyone else in our division.

Seeing as we are all so obsessed with SFC maximising revenue. Someone in the Corporate Hospitality / Sponsorship department blatantly needs a rocket up their arse!

Maybe thats why we have employed a corporate marketing guy who starts officially at the end of August. Perimeter hoardings didn't look much different to me, boxes are a different matter, but who wants to take their business colleagues along to see Leyton Orient?

So let me see if i got this right....

Your complaining about the lack of advertising boards around the ground?

Not sure if it is just me but i don't even notice stuff like that.....

Who knows maybe being owned by a multi-billionaire family meant they felt they didn't need to advertise?

At the end of the day having loads of them does not increase my enjoyment of football, in fact if anything it ruins it. So the fewer the better. Good job Cortese.

Have never seen so few sponsors around the perimeter as yesterday, there was probabaly less than half a dozen non-Football League sponsorship boards around the ground.

Also, the corporate area was emptier than I have ever seen it before... probably less than 50 Corporate Hospitality customers.

I assume that the new marketing bloke is taking charge of this area and might explain why it looks so neglected?

Or maybe SFC are not good value for money in relation to say, The Rose Bowl, for advertising, sponsorship and Corporate Hospitality? I do know not only do we lose alot of revenue to the Rose Bowl, pretty much every Corporate member of staff at the Rose Bowl has left SFC to join them.

Edit - What a stupid title - Mods, please change to " Sponsorship & Corporate Hospitality "

I can't give a reason for advertising boards, but I did hospitality last season and it was pretty empty then. I'd say that being in L1 is the main reason for this combined with the prices still being relatively high.

Have you tried get a company to spend out on corporate sponsorship at the moment. Most FD's have the purse well and truely shut. Also it is not a particularly good thing to offer clients - "Hey do you want to see dagenham and Redbridge at SMS or would you prefer a round of golf at Wentworth"

Lol.

If the corporate boxes were full of men in suits eating a light buffet lunch, Stu would probably be the first one on here shouting about how to get rid of the corporates and prawn sarnie munchers, and how we should be striving to get football back to the masses.

Sometimes it seems that this board is full of posters looking to blame the club rather than supporting it.

I'm sure it'll only be a couple more posts before someone states that it is Beelzebub Cortese's fault for ruining our club.

i should think that the trend of custom in the hosptality areas is the main reason Cortese has hired someone externally, and as he doesnt start for another week or so we aint going to see much movement in terms of price and/or package. The same will apply to the advertising boards.

Having said that on a practical level, I'm not surprised by the low take up (mind you 50 is preety dire regardless) because the Plymouth game was (obviously) on tv and more importantly an early kick-off. I wouldnt want to do hospitality that early....too early to eat really and more importantly not enough drinking time!!!!

And then saturday it was Orient...'nuff said!!

This club is a work in progress and Im sure it will just get better and better as time passes and as we move up the leagues.....

Many factors are in this equation one of the main being the current climate, its hard out there and is difficult to justify throwing £1500.00 at something you will not get a return from, done corporate a number of times but of late a day at the races seems more appealing to the masses due to our competition, fast forward a couple of seasons and by default you will see an uplift in both advertising and corporate sales.

Irrespective of the wealth of our owners they would want to maximise revenue streams although the removal of the shirt sponsor for this season alone was a fantastic gesture.

Lol.

If the corporate boxes were full of men in suits eating a light buffet lunch, Stu would probably be the first one on here shouting about how to get rid of the corporates and prawn sarnie munchers, and how we should be striving to get football back to the masses.

Sometimes it seems that this board is full of posters looking to blame the club rather than supporting it.

I'm sure it'll only be a couple more posts before someone states that it is Beelzebub Cortese's fault for ruining our club.

That would be true... if it wasn't for the fact I myself have been a regular Corporate Customer at SFC for the last 25 years.

It was just an observation, didn't blame anyone, just wondered why all of a sudden the Corporate area is deserted and the pitchsided advertisement non-existant.

With regards to the pitchside advertising, the photography ban will obviously scare off advertisers. With the Corporate Hospitality, I think the 1885 Club idea has devalued the product somewhat and over-priced for what it is. Definately in comparison to what's on offer at the Rose Bowl and Newbury/Goodwood/Ascot Racecourses.

Not a dig, just an observation. :D

I think you're observing in the wrong area Stu ;)

I / my business was a pitch side advertiser last season. I received the renewal information many months before the photography ban was mentioned, but we decided not to renew as every penny needs to be accounted for at the moment, and there is no tangible way to measure the success - or otherwise - of pitch side advertising.

Whilst it still remains a 'good idea' it's lack of measurability puts it on the back burner.

Besides, I don't think it went up until about the sixth game last season, so I'm kind of hoping that they will leave it up for the rest of this season once the contract runs out, if there are lots of empty spaces :D

I think you're observing in the wrong area Stu ;)

I / my business was a pitch side advertiser last season. I received the renewal information many months before the photography ban was mentioned, but we decided not to renew as every penny needs to be accounted for at the moment, and there is no tangible way to measure the success - or otherwise - of pitch side advertising.

Whilst it still remains a 'good idea' it's lack of measurability puts it on the back burner.

Besides, I don't think it went up until about the sixth game last season, so I'm kind of hoping that they will leave it up for the rest of this season once the contract runs out, if there are lots of empty spaces :D

Other Corporate areas and pitchside advertising seem to be aplenty at other grounds, I don't think it is just Southampton that have been through a recession. I think it is more of a case of 'value for money'. Locally, we have lost a massive amount of money to the Rose Bowl in every way, matchday and non-matchday events.

That would be true... if it wasn't for the fact I myself have been a regular Corporate Customer at SFC for the last 25 years.

It was just an observation, didn't blame anyone, just wondered why all of a sudden the Corporate area is deserted and the pitchsided advertisement non-existant.

With regards to the pitchside advertising, the photography ban will obviously scare off advertisers. With the Corporate Hospitality, I think the 1885 Club idea has devalued the product somewhat and over-priced for what it is. Definately in comparison to what's on offer at the Rose Bowl and Newbury/Goodwood/Ascot Racecourses.

Why pose the question when you know the answer unless your trolling for people to slag off our wonderful, innovative, price concious, cost cutting, waste removing chairman.

Why pose the question when you know the answer unless your trolling for people to slag off our wonderful, innovative, price concious, cost cutting, waste removing chairman.

I am debating, and giving my opinion. I am not saying my opinion is the right one, if it's not then bring something to the table...

Although it is funny that some people on here are now saying that maybe we don't need the money for advertisers... I bet if I look through their post history they will be complimenting Cortese on maximising revenue by adding fees too. Corporate Hospitality and Advertising/Sponsorship is a very significant part of a clubs income.

As I said... it's debate... just seems to be MASSIVELY down on numbers as opposed to last season.

How? The pitchside advertising is predominantly aimed at the supporters who attend the game, plus for televised games. Saints home games are on the BBC Football League programme every other week stilll, which is the media that pitchside advertisers will be hoping to exploit. Pictures of Saints game are very, very rarely used in the national papers at this level and when they are the probability of pitchside advertising appearing in them is not very high. OK, having extensive pictures in the Echo may lose a propensity of possibility of advertising space but not significantly so, again for the low probability of an advertising board actually appearing in print.

How? The pitchside advertising is predominantly aimed at the supporters who attend the game, plus for televised games.

I disagree. I was just having my regular afternoon w*nk over this old newspaper picture and when I finished I went out and impulse bought a new Ford Ka from Hendy. You'd be surprised at how powerful a really blurry, incomprehensible part section of a hoarding in the background of a tiny picture accompanying a succinct write-up from a League 1 game in the national press can be.

2d7x66g.jpg

How? The pitchside advertising is predominantly aimed at the supporters who attend the game, plus for televised games. Saints home games are on the BBC Football League programme every other week stilll, which is the media that pitchside advertisers will be hoping to exploit. Pictures of Saints game are very, very rarely used in the national papers at this level and when they are the probability of pitchside advertising appearing in them is not very high. OK, having extensive pictures in the Echo may lose a propensity of possibility of advertising space but not significantly so, again for the low probability of an advertising board actually appearing in print.

I am not saying that it is the only reason, but it is certainly a consideration you would take into account as an advertiser. And as far as 'TV Facing' sponsorship goes, I didn't notice one non-Football League sponsor on that side. When you look round other stadiums, it is not as bad for other clubs... just wonder what ours is doing wrong.

Cost, value for money and competition I guess.

Flybe had some prime advertising space the last few seasons, behind the goals, halfway line etc. As we don't have a sponsor this year there will be less pitch side advertising. FACT.

It stands to reason that if people decide they don't want to sponsor us, there will be less pitch side advertising.

Thanks for pointing that out.

The club did state they were still looking for a 'headline sponsor' though a few months ago... which they don't seem to have found.

Doesn't add a lot to this - but I know for a fact that Watford have dozens of hoardings pitchside that are still there, despite not having been "paid for" for two seasons plus. No one else is coming in for new ones so they've just been left rather than it looking bare.

I am not so sure it is not sports wide Stu.

When Hampshire played at Basingstoke in their annual 4 day county match, a chance for local corporate indulgence no one wanted to pay and we had very little. I believe the cost per person was £125 plus vat per day.

At the T20 final however, hospitality in the Robin Smith, Shaun Udal and Shane Warne suites vertually sold out. Cost in the Robin Smith was £599 plus vat per person with minimum table of 10.

Very little Corporate is sold for county games/pro40 or T20. Clubs round the counties report similar fall off. Money is being saved for the big events

I disagree. I was just having my regular afternoon w*nk over this old newspaper picture and when I finished I went out and impulse bought a new Ford Ka from Hendy. You'd be surprised at how powerful a really blurry, incomprehensible part section of a hoarding in the background of a tiny picture accompanying a succinct write-up from a League 1 game in the national press can be.

2d7x66g.jpg

Daily Telegraph, that'll be. Fact. How the hell that compels you to buy a car that didn't exist in Dowie's era is a bit odd mind.

It stands to reason that if people decide they don't want to sponsor us, there will be less pitch side advertising.

Thanks for pointing that out.

The club did state they were still looking for a 'headline sponsor' though a few months ago... which they don't seem to have found.

The club CHOSE not have a sponor this year, hence why there are "spaces" where the clubs MAIN sponsor would have had their pitch side advertising.

Have you not answered your own question? No MAIN sponsor = less advertising. It's not just pitch side as the programme, for example, would also have "spaces" where the clibs MAIN sponor would have been. Bloodyhell even the main entrance now has a blank "space" where the Flybe logo used to be.

But then you know this is one of the reasons don't you.

I was reading the article on the OS about this new carvery, at first glace I thought 'what a good idea, carvery's are popular, much lower key so wont intimidate people about the dress code/formality of hospitality and probably wont cost an arm and a leg' ....then I read on to see, that their idea of 'smart casual' was still pretty damn smart, no jeans, no trainer, no replica shirts, so what does this leave ...shirt trousers and shoes? ...so basically what i'd wear to normal hospitality then... riiiight, I continued to read on expecting a cheaper price (as it's being billed as a carvery and not a luxury 3 course dinner) ....they are still asking for £99 a head... what planet are they on, who's going to pay that for a midweek night watching saints in the rain against bolton ...or for that matter, any league one side... I think they are missing a trick really... we arent in the prem any more, the suites etc need price adjustment like everything else

The club CHOSE not have a sponor this year, hence why there are "spaces" where the clubs MAIN sponsor would have had their pitch side advertising.

Have you not answered your own question? No MAIN sponsor = less advertising. It's not just pitch side as the programme, for example, would also have "spaces" where the clibs MAIN sponor would have been. Bloodyhell even the main entrance now has a blank "space" where the Flybe logo used to be.

But then you know this is one of the reasons don't you.

The club stated when they announced that there would be no shirt sponsor that they still wanted a 'main sponsor' , we don't have one... so it suggests they couldn't find one! No?

No MAIN sponsor does not mean less advertising if they replace them with more smaller/local advertising.

On another point, even Draper Tools seem to have withdrawn pretty much all of their sponsorship this year... yet I notice them in the papers sponsoring pretty much every other fookin team in the country pitchside! Why don't they support their local club more FFS!!! And B&Q!!! Ordnance Survey, Skandia, Aviva Healthcare, British Gas, Fortis Insurance etc etc etc... plenty of massive companies with local interests in and around Southampton.

I was reading the article on the OS about this new carvery, at first glace I thought 'what a good idea, carvery's are popular, much lower key so wont intimidate people about the dress code/formality of hospitality and probably wont cost an arm and a leg' ....then I read on to see, that their idea of 'smart casual' was still pretty damn smart, no jeans, no trainer, no replica shirts, so what does this leave ...shirt trousers and shoes? ...so basically what i'd wear to normal hospitality then... riiiight, I continued to read on expecting a cheaper price (as it's being billed as a carvery and not a luxury 3 course dinner) ....they are still asking for £99 a head... what planet are they on, who's going to pay that for a midweek night watching saints in the rain against bolton ...or for that matter, any league one side... I think they are missing a trick really... we arent in the prem any more, the suites etc need price adjustment like everything else

I think that is the point I am making as well... the club need to realise that although people have the same Premiership aspirations, we are not there yet, and until they are they can't get away with charging £117 for a Carvery! This has been proven beyond reasonable doubt by the lack of uptake.

If it's bad now, just wait until it's the renewal time for sponsors. Clotese's ban on photographers will mean that any business would be foolish not to ask for a discount at the very least, i'd expect many to just walk away and advertise elsewhere.

If it's bad now, just wait until it's the renewal time for sponsors. Clotese's ban on photographers will mean that any business would be foolish not to ask for a discount at the very least, i'd expect many to just walk away and advertise elsewhere.

just like the renewal on STs..?

just like the renewal on STs..?

The 'renewal' on season tickets WOULD have been down, no doubts about that. Luckily the club attract extra success chasers which softened the blow and made it look less of a big deal than it was. But we have talked about it a million times and it's boring now. We are talking about something completely different... get with the programme or go comment on another thread.

Did you not know that business is currently in recession and this type of expense is normally reduced until conditions improve?

The problem with a lot of Corteses decisions are that they are not thought through. The £3 ticket tax for example was just a profiteering exercise to rip off fans that want to order tickets over the phone. However much in the same way that ban on photographers was a profiteering exercise, both **** people off and both can cost the club money. In the case of the photographer ban the result will mean that firms who pay to advertise will receive less exposure so they won't be getting as much for their money - this is a negative against using the club, in the case of the ticket tax it's an extra cost which bumps up the cost of watching the club which coupled with poor results (as we have seen) will make me and others think twice before going to a game.

Comparing as like for like as possible, I used Sheff Weds

Exec Box Hire

Sheff Weds £88+VATpp

Saints £110 - £135+VATpp

Exec Club

Sheff Weds £71+VAT

Saints £120+VAT

'Carvery'

Sheff Weds £55+VAT

Saints £99+VAT

Although not sure whether beer is thrown in with Wednesday... still.... even without, a marked difference in prices...

The problem with a lot of Corteses decisions are that they are not thought through. The £3 ticket tax for example was just a profiteering exercise to rip off fans that want to order tickets over the phone. However much in the same way that ban on photographers was a profiteering exercise, both **** people off and both can cost the club money. In the case of the photographer ban the result will mean that firms who pay to advertise will receive less exposure so they won't be getting as much for their money - this is a negative against using the club, in the case of the ticket tax it's an extra cost which bumps up the cost of watching the club which coupled with poor results (as we have seen) will make me and others think twice before going to a game.

Although i agree somewhat with your sentiment about ticket tax, its a shame that it is this and 'results' (all 2 home league games in which we have created very many chances and been somewhat unlucky) that you feel will stop you from going. The ticket tax is totally unjustified IMO but if you order cinema tickets online, if you buy theatre tickets, music concert tickets etc... you still pay ticket tax. Would this stop you from seeing your favourite band etc.. ?

As for advertising - I just don't know. Is Cortese banking on promotion and then hoping that by holding off on advertising he will get a better price next year ? If the team play well then we will appear more on TV - isn't that where main exposure is ? A few photos from the games in the Sun etc.. are not going to offer any company top exposure for advertising surely ?

Are we once again reading too much into the 'lack' of advertising as a way of again criticising all thing Cortese ? Or is advertising down because companies just don't have the money especially for a league one side ?

The general consensus was that ticket tax, no ST payment plan and lack of half season tickets would f**k with attendances - well that doesn't seem to be the case. It was believed that the 'one-off' shirt was another rip-off, but by looking around the town and on match days, they seem to have proved quite popular so sales seem to have off-set lack of main sponsor anyway.

Seems to be more questions than answers but lets not let that stop us from trying to have another go at Cortese.

He is no 'saint' but certainly don't see him as the anti-christ as some seem so keen to cast him as.