We're the Saints Chant

ART

Todat Art was very inspired and came up with what I think could be a very inspirational, motivational chant during games. There is also a certain provocative tone to get the opposition supporters worked up

I've taken the Chorus from John Farnham's "You're the Voice" and changed to "We're the Saints"

I've even done my very first Saints Fanvid with the song with words, failing miserably to replace voice with Saints. I decided to stop before I did any damage. :)

Hope you like the idea. Here's my video

Here are the simple lyrics

We're the Saints, try and understand it

Make a noise and make it clear

Oh-o-o-o, whoa-o-o-o!

We're not gonna sit in silence, we're not gonna live in fear

Oh-o-o-o, whoa-o-o-o!

Well i think its Brilliant . Saints really badly need some new chants , if there are any budding song writers out there then please come up with some new songs and if anyone has got any tunes or rhymes that they think will work , feel free to come up with some suggestions . Would love a chant to the tune of gilbert and sullivan - we sail the ocean blue, with maybe a passing reference to our matelot friends. The gauntlet is laid down

I dont mean this to disrespect you, I'm sure you're a lovely chap. I just want to make a clear differentiation between my opinion of this, and my opinion of you.

That is probably the worst idea for a chant I have every heard and I would ****ing die in my seat if someone starting singing it.

I dont mean this to disrespect you, I'm sure you're a lovely chap. I just want to make a clear differentiation between my opinion of this, and my opinion of you.

That is probably the worst idea for a chant I have every heard and I would ****ing die in my seat if someone starting singing it.

Mate ... back in the day we came up with some feckin shocking chants :-p

I blame the others though ... mainly Torres and Ewell.

That reply was one of the best Simon Cowell impersonations I've ever come across Baj. It comes to something when it's the Old Codgers who have to try and inspire something new in the Stands. We need badly something of class to replace the majority of mish mash we get 75% of the time. We lag sadly behind other clubs. :(

Mate ... back in the day we came up with some feckin shocking chants :-p

I blame the others though ... mainly Torres and Ewell.

very true....

duh duh duh duh duuuuh da duh duh duh daaa duh duh duh daaahhhhhhhh

WE LOVE YOU BLAYNEY.....

That reply was one of the best Simon Cowell impersonations I've ever come across Baj. It comes to something when it's the Old Codgers who have to try and inspire something new in the Stands. We need badly something of class to replace the majority of mish mash we get 75% of the time. We lag sadly behind other clubs. :(

Couldnt agree more. Afraid I can't come up with anything better... which is surprising considering I'm a musician...

Not too sure about that one. Too complicated for the Yoof to get there microbial brains around. And it hasn't got anything about shooting pompey in it so will be a non-starter in the back rows of the Northam.

What we need is something that old farts in the Itchen center and families in the Chapel can sing without associating themselves with the Northam Numpties.

Let's face it, things ain't ever been the same since we stopped having to sing

Swing Lowe....

Agree. That was a classic. Let's hope no one tries any thing similar with NC. Personally, I hope we all sing "Nigel Adkins Red Stripe Army" as loud as possible on Saturday. Give him a really good vocal welcome.

Whatever happened to 'You'll never walk alone' with all the scarves/flags etc out.

Would love to see that back.

Perhaps one for the Block 4 choir.

Well something like it would be good, but never like more than one club having the same song. Gets me right steamed up when I hear spurs sing "when the spurs go marching in". Bloody plagiarizers.

I actually like it. I fell it would be better played over the speakers though or something like that.

Whilst we are on the subject of singing..........PLEASE can the Northam slow down when they sing Rickie's song. You almost have to wait for the song to go round again before you can join in. The whole song is just far too quick. The Na na na na na na na Rickie Rickie bit is perfect but the rest is a blur until you get to Rickie Lambert, Southampton's goal machine.

Merci, I've have to open a bottle of the French tap water in case you decide to pop by. To tell you the truth I was on the verge of singing and adding multi voice effect. Just I'm a lazy sod these days, and couldn't be arsed to get the microphone fixed up.

Baj, I was delighted to read that you still consider yourself a musician. In the old days I used to follow your creations but like so often you changed websites. I spend most of my time these days promoting and tweeting prospective musicians, singers on Twitter. Let me know if you have anything you want promoted. Check out Sam Tsui, he's had 26 million hits thanks to all the retweeting.,

Let's face it, the Skates managed to do a near miracle to that Do you know the way to Amarillo or what ever it was called. I reckon a full stand rendition of We're the Saints with everyone doing the Wo hoo ohoo would really go down well

Well something like it would be good, but never like more than one club having the same song. Gets me right steamed up when I hear spurs sing "when the spurs go marching in". Bloody plagiarizers.

Even more annoying that they're better than us at singing it!

Edited by bpsaint

For once Serge, we actually agree on something.

well sorry you morbid lot - I think this a storming good idea, it's about time we had some decent chants, there's enough of us old duffers in the Northam to be able to cope with chorus's of more than 3 syllables and teach the youngsters how to do it. Alternatively we could bring back that real stormer "Pompey's going down............"

I think that we are fortunate in that we have our very own anthem (OWTSGMI).

Spurs fans (and a few others) famously sing a rendition very well. Even at Swindon their fans sang their own version more often and louder than we did, but nothing changes the fact that in the footie world it is OUR song and it never sounds better or more fitting than when we sing it.

Re other songs that come and go, we had a great opportunity a few years ago when some blokes re-wrote that Karsie Chefs song about Ruby Skacel, here it is for posterity:

Although it got lots of airplay (and as one can see it has had almost 50,000 hits!) it also gets comments from his subsequent clubs fans. All in all a brilliant effort and professionally done by the sound of it.

HOWEVER....

It just does not work does it? Never once heard that on the terraces and I fear young ART's attempt is destined to fail in that respect also.

Keep trying though ART, you just need that little bit of inspiration that brought us the fantastic Rickie Lambert song. Although we have to admit that even that is a rip-off from other supporters and he may well be gone come January as NA and NC attempt to balance the books and bring in more versatile team-players. So yes, we need a new song but just not that one, sorry.

Having said all that, I do like you as a person ART, just that your work is lacking.

Edited by Big John

The problem with a lot of these is they're really limp, the kind of thing you'd expect to get going from an internet message board rather than a drunken away game and lots of persistence after (as was our case with Our Claus).

I still think we should have a proper shot at the Woolston Ferry, since i think it'd sound awesome with the whole northam singing it and there's no way that any other club's going to nick it either.

Oh and one last thing, the most annoying ****ing thing we do is that terrible handclapping thing when a free kick is going to be taken by someone other than Lambert. It makes me wince every time knowing we stole it from wimbledon ffs! Nothing makes us sound more like a bunch of "new football fan wimps" than that.

The problem with a lot of these is they're really limp, the kind of thing you'd expect to get going from an internet message board rather than a drunken away game and lots of persistence after (as was our case with Our Claus).

I still think we should have a proper shot at the Woolston Ferry, since i think it'd sound awesome with the whole northam singing it and there's no way that any other club's going to nick it either.

Oh and one last thing, the most annoying ****ing thing we do is that terrible handclapping thing when a free kick is going to be taken by someone other than Lambert. It makes me wince every time knowing we stole it from wimbledon ffs! Nothing makes us sound more like a bunch of "new football fan wimps" than that.

You mean the one that was used to maximum effect by Zulu warriors during the Boor Wars?

imho it adds to the moment, wouldn't fancy being the goalie with that droning behind me that's for sure.

You mean the one that was used to maximum effect by Zulu warriors during the Boor Wars?

Yup the same one that just sounds embarrassing now, guess time has taken the edge off it a little ;)

imho it adds to the moment, wouldn't fancy being the goalie with that droning behind me that's for sure.

yup i see them quaking in their boots every time.... not like the old days of the dell is it where some well placed abuse could actually be heard by the keeper. I can remember more than a few (but James and Schmeichel leap to mind) losing their game due to some less than grown up wind ups.

it would but it'd be sung so quickly and badly it'd sound sh*t and people would only remember the first line at the last two and clap over the top.

I'm not loving that chant to be honest.

It's difficult to come up with chants that use tunes that haven't been used for chants before. Coming up with a tune that will work is tricky, and who would have thought that Ricky Lambert tune would sound so good? What is it? When Johnny comes marching home?

Anyway, I've just thought of this, to the tune of Parklife by Blur. It's a chorus that works being shouted:

Oh, Southampton, we are Southampton,

and we play in red and white,

and we'll win the fight, cos we are the saints.

That's the best lyrics I can come up with at this hour.

It is old, but it is beautiful,

And its colors they are fine

It was worn at St Marys

and in the towns and this sash of old is mine.

My fathers wore it as a youth

In bygone days of yore

And at St Marys I love to see

The sash my fathers wore.

And when some day, across the sea

To Hampshires shores you come,

We'll welcome you in royal style,

To the sound of flute and drum

And Southamptons hills shall echo still,

From Thornhill to Aldermoor

As we sing again the loyal strain

Of the sash my father wore

It is old, but it is beautiful,

And its colors they are fine

It was worn at St Marys

and in the towns and this sash of old is mine.

My fathers wore it as a youth

In bygone days of yore

And at St Marys I love to see

The sash my fathers wore.

And when some day, across the sea

To Hampshires shores you come,

We'll welcome you in royal style,

To the sound of flute and drum

And Southamptons hills shall echo still,

From Thornhill to Aldermoor

As we sing again the loyal strain

Of the sash my father wore

That won't upset the Catholic supporters!