• Lallana
    • Surman
    • Cork
    • Robertson
    • DMG
    • N/A

"Poortvliet is not overly concerned"

Pasted from his os verdict

Does that worry anyone else like it does me?

To be fair to Jan he didn't actually say that, that was the journalists take on it.

And having seen some of the other rubbish put up there by the OS "journalistic" team, then I wouldn't read too much into it!!!!!

Poor defending cost us dear, but I am really happy with our team generally and enjoyed the game.

We really played some neat stuff and had we had a finisher today, hen maybe we could have got 4 or 5 today.

Keep up the good work Saints I am very positive for the future.

Just learn to defend.

You enjoyed the game and are really happy?

You need a shrink mate.

Early on in JP's season I thought that we were too one dimensional and that teams would quickly suss us out and learn to negate us.

I do hope opposition managers don't read this forum but the game plan to beat us is simple.

1. Get the ball out wide and attack their full backs.

2. Get crosses in and hit their far post.

3. Kick Lallana (lean on the other yongsters).

4. When we lose posession, let them fanny about with it in midfield and get back behind the ball and organise the defence.

Guest Hacienda
simple really,we were beaten by a better team.

i didnt see anything in that performance to worry about ,we were simply outplayed by a more accomplished team.

:rolleyes:

To be fair to Jan he didn't actually say that, that was the journalists take on it.

And having seen some of the other rubbish put up there by the OS "journalistic" team, then I wouldn't read too much into it!!!!!

Maybe but if the feeling coming out of the club is that "they are not overly concerened " then we are in big trouble.

i didnt see anything in that performance to worry about ,we were simply outplayed by a more accomplished team.

Spot on once again.

I do wonder how long it will take some people to realise that we're crap and can't expect to go away to sides like Coventry and win.

OH dear!!

Yes we were beaten by a better team, a team low on confidence having, i believe not won in 8 and that does not worry you....:o

What are the highly confident and more accomplished teams such as Reading

going to us?....... i dread to think

SISU 4 - 1 Mike Wilde

Does anyone remember Wilde, under the guise of Saint Marc, starting a thread highlighting a negative slant on SISU in a Daily Mirror article?

So why was Wilde so opposed to SISU's 41p per share offer?

Was it EGO? - it's my trainset and i want to play with it.

Was it greed? - thinking he'd get more money if he held out for a.n.other investor.

OH dear!!

Yes we were beaten by a better team, a team low on confidence having, i believe not won in 8 and that does not worry you....:o

Probably beat us and then people will be on here moaning. The cycle will continue until we get a couple of decent results.

btw we already played the best side in the league twice and that didn't exactly end with an embrassing score line.

Probably beat us and then people will be on here moaning. The cycle will continue until we get a couple of decent results.

btw we already played the best side in the league twice and that didn't exactly end with an embrassing score line.

We will get mullered by Reading...

I guess you mean Birmingham as the best side, i don`t agree but it`s all about

opinions and mine is that Reading are the best side.

we started slowly and then started to control a bit of posession and then Cov got a goal from nothing.Aided by some poor lino and ref decisions.I only saw it on tv but the coverage was appalling we didnt get a chance to see a rerun of Bests shopt that hit the post and he looked miles offside.

We were poor in the last third and until Jan took the gamble we were toothless. The change made a massive difference and had Surmans flick gone in or DMG 1 on 1 been put away things would have been interesting.As I put in another thread I was annoyed with Surmans greediness when others were better placed and he shot instead of picking out a player.TV cameras clouded his judgement.Being the star player to nowdown the pecking order may havbe a bit to do with it.

We will get mullered by Reading...

I guess you mean Birmingham as the best side, i don`t agree but it`s all about

opinions and mine is that Reading are the best side.

I think you could well be right.Reading will be hell of a test.

OH dear!!

it doesnt worry me because it is expected,we are not a great team,we are not even a good team and we cannot expect to turn teams over very often.

we will probably be mugged by a few more teams in this league but i am confident that we will gain enough points to survive and that is all we should expect.

your expectations are obviously higher than mine but you have to be realistic,we are no longer a premiership team,we are no longer a top half championship team,we are a team that will struggle in this league and probably will flirt with relegation every week.

its not nice and i dont know the answers but it is reality,the kids have a lot of potential but its going to be a very steep learning curve.

dont worry too much about it,it is out of our hands,all we can do is offer our support every week and hope things come good as has been the norm for me for the last 40 years.

this season will continue to be up and down. my thoughts are.

Every team targets our right back, sorry but Lloyd James is no where near good enough at present. every thing goes down that flank and he was out of position alot. one of our main problems is square pegs in round holes all over, stick cork in at rb.

lancashire also is just not ready and these too were the main reason cov looked like they would score every time. that said i think mills has got potential.

i like blending in the youth as much as possible but not for the sake of it when they are not good enough.

Surman looks much better in the centre than anywhere else on the pitch. bwp did well when he came on but gillett i believe has not got it, he gives the ball away far too much whenever I see him play. tonight was qpr mark 2.

We looked better after the 3 subs but i would like us to go 4-4-2, I am not convinced by our system and having 2 wide forwards is ineffectual and means we have no cutting edge in and aound the box. felt sorry for robertson.

I like the football the lads try to play but with no cutting edge with our system and a china thin defense we are on a hiding to nothing.

a re think is required.

I agree with pretty well all this. James IS a weak link, and if I can see that, so can every manager in the CCC and we'll be targetted there every game. But it's not just James - with MCG in front of him there is no support or cover. The system we play naturally leaves us exposed wide at the back. By contrast Mills is beginning to look the part and has more support. i think Lancashire also gives us pace and is the right partner for Perry, Wotton or Killer.

The problem is how to change things around with the limited personnel. Cork could do a better job at RB but then we'd need Schneiderlin to be fit in midfield alongside Wotton. Agreed Gillet is also too lightweight. Where is Thomas?

There's also the question of where Surman plays best. on the basis of the last couple of games I'd like to see him in "the hole" instead of Lallana, move Lallana out right, and get Skacel into the team on the left - although finances/politics probably won't allow.

For what it's worth, if wee're going to persevere with one striker, my pecking order would be Pekhart, John, MCG, Robertson. one wonder goal hasn't impressed me and Pekhart showed good hold-up play and control at Doncaster.

Edited by Shroppie

we started slowly and then started to control a bit of posession and then Cov got a goal from nothing.Aided by some poor lino and ref decisions.I only saw it on tv but the coverage was appalling we didnt get a chance to see a rerun of Bests shopt that hit the post and he looked miles offside.

We were poor in the last third and until Jan took the gamble we were toothless. The change made a massive difference and had Surmans flick gone in or DMG 1 on 1 been put away things would have been interesting.As I put in another thread I was annoyed with Surmans greediness when others were better placed and he shot instead of picking out a player.TV cameras clouded his judgement.Being the star player to nowdown the pecking order may havbe a bit to do with it.

That line is exactly right the system we play week in week out

will NOT work enough over the course of the season, so as you say we were better after the changes, then why will JP revert to type for the next game?

it doesnt worry me because it is expected,we are not a great team,we are not even a good team and we cannot expect to turn teams over very often.

we will probably be mugged by a few more teams in this league but i am confident that we will gain enough points to survive and that is all we should expect.

your expectations are obviously higher than mine but you have to be realistic,we are no longer a premiership team,we are no longer a top half championship team,we are a team that will struggle in this league and probably will flirt with relegation every week.

its not nice and i dont know the answers but it is reality,the kids have a lot of potential but its going to be a very steep learning curve.

dont worry too much about it,it is out of our hands,all we can do is offer our support every week and hope things come good as has been the norm for me for the last 40 years.

It worries me big time because unlike you i don`t feel that the way we are heading (too much youth,not enough experience) will see us ok but will lead us to relegation.

We simply are not strong enough for this league in our current style.

That line is exactly right the system we play week in week out

will NOT work enough over the course of the season, so as you say we were better after the changes, then why will JP revert to type for the next game?

So yuo would start with 4 up front. The system didnt work because o

ur kids are not strong e

nough to bully the defence and we play intricate football. 10 games have gone and we are not languishing in the bottom cut adrift as many said we would be and relegated by christmas FFS. I only want us to stay upo this season , and then next push on. We need to hold our nerve.

For all Pearsons shouting his win ratio wasn't as good as JP's.

QUOTE]

He had one less win, but less losses than JP and a lot more draws. In short, we were a much more difficult team to beat. It is only because of the stupid system that awards three draws the same same value as one win that skews the statistics in favour of JP. Even with one and a half points for an away draw, one for a home draw, NP would be ahead.

We were poor in the last third and until Jan took the gamble we were toothless. The change made a massive difference and had Surmans flick gone in or DMG 1 on 1 been put away things would have been interesting.

This sort of excuse-making is becoming as predictable as the sun coming out.

I really wonder how your optic nerves and brain manage to process information so completely differently from a lot of us...

Same old, same old............................

Let's face it, we were totally inept defensively and unless we get that sorted then all the good build up play will ultimately count for nothing. There is plenty of good stuff happening on the pitch but it just seems to fall apart on the edge of the oppositions penalty area and we look like a sunday league side when trying to defend.

I'm not even sure Svensson is up to it anymore, when he returns that is. It is with a heavy heart that I say that I don't think he will make that much of a difference as he seems a shadow of the player that he was. I doubt we'll get a consistent run week in and week out with him, of course, I hope he makes me eat my words. I can't help but think that although he's better than what we have and has that experience that we definitely need, I still think we should try and buy a no nonsense centre half, in the mould of Darren Moore and count every game that Svennson plays as a bonus.

I watched us last week at Doncaster and remarked to a mate that, at times, it was total football going forward but more like total b*ll*cks when defending.

So yuo would start with 4 up front. The system didnt work because o

ur kids are not strong e

nough to bully the defence and we play intricate football. 10 games have gone and we are not languishing in the bottom cut adrift as many said we would be and relegated by christmas FFS. I only want us to stay upo this season , and then next push on. We need to hold our nerve.

We had four strikers on but not 4 up front, even then we were 3 down by the time the change occured.

We need to start as a 4 -4 -2.

I do hope opposition managers don't read this forum but the game plan to beat us is simple.

4. When we lose posession, let them fanny about with it in midfield and get back behind the ball and organise the defence.

Steve, you forgot:

1) Watch them play pretty patterns in front of us for 15/16/17/18 minutes (insert number as required) while we hold our line 35 yards out, then realise they have no cutting edge and take the game to them knowing their fragile confidence will crack with the first goal conceded.

It worries me big time because unlike you i don`t feel that the way we are heading (too much youth,not enough experience) will see us ok but will lead us to relegation.

We simply are not strong enough for this league in our current style.

what do you suggest we do?

get a load of overpaid journeymen in to see us right? in the meantime going further into debt and still not doing any better.

didnt we try that last season?

you are probably right,we are going to struggle,we always were but we cant change it so whats the point in worrying about it.we will finish in the position we deserve and if that is bottom then so be it,that will be our level.i wont be happy if we do,but we wont be the first club to fall from grace in such a short space of time and we wont be the last.the leagues outside of the premiership are littered with teams who think they are bigger and better than they are,teams who think they should be easily beating coventry etc but the reality is we are just another skint team struggling to survive and dreaming of better days.

those days may come again but chances are they wont.sorry to **** on your birthday cake.

what do you suggest we do?

get a load of overpaid journeymen in to see us right? in the meantime going further into debt and still not doing any better.

didnt we try that last season?

you are probably right,we are going to struggle,we always were but we cant change it so whats the point in worrying about it.we will finish in the position we deserve and if that is bottom then so be it,that will be our level.i wont be happy if we do,but we wont be the first club to fall from grace in such a short space of time and we wont be the last.the leagues outside of the premiership are littered with teams who think they are bigger and better than they are,teams who think they should be easily beating coventry etc but the reality is we are just another skint team struggling to survive and dreaming of better days.

those days may come again but chances are they wont.sorry to **** on your birthday cake.

I suggest we "blend" experience with youth not rely on young lads

who are clearly not yet ready for the demands of this very physical league.

Is there another team in the CCC that is relying as heavily on youth as we are?

This sort of excuse-making is becoming as predictable as the sun coming out.

I really wonder how your optic nerves and brain manage to process information so completely differently from a lot of us...

Well you tell me where that is wrong? It is not excuses it is how I see it.You think had Drew or DMG scored a second things may have been different then?

You wallow in your happy to tell us how things are bad in defeat.It is your turn to point out how clever you are stating the bleeding obvious while others actually can understand why the club has to do what it has.We are still waiting to be told the 'alpine Plan' that would be able to cut the clubs 100K aweek losses , play star experienced players and sign some more, without having to rely on young players who in some cases are not quite ready.

Well you tell me where that is wrong? It is not excuses it is how I see it.You think had Drew or DMG scored a second things may have been different then?

And with the same very big IF, if they had taken their gilt edged chances in the first half, then we would have been 5-0 down at the break.

Using your IF card, we should have lost that game soemthing like 8-3.

isnt that what we are doing?

davis,wotton,perry,svensson(when fit),stern,thomas and skacel and euell maybe to return.

id say thats a pretty fair mix.

The truth is that Stern will only play occasionaly and if he has a bad game he will be dropped unlike McG,

As for Thomas, well he played a bit then was frozen out.

Euell well i believe he is fit now so i doubt it.

Killer will only play bit parts now.

As for Skacel,don`t make me laugh,it isn`t going to happen.

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

You wallow in your happy to tell us how things are bad in defeat.It is your turn to point out how clever you are stating the bleeding obvious while others actually can understand why the club has to do what it has.We are still waiting to be told the 'alpine Plan' that would be able to cut the clubs 100K aweek losses , play star experienced players and sign some more, without having to rely on young players who in some cases are not quite ready.

I've told you several times what I think is wrong with the "plan" and how it should be addressed. If you dont want to take note of it and accept that I have proposed an alternative (because you dont agree with it), then is not a lot I or anyone else can do to help you.

For all Pearsons shouting his win ratio wasn't as good as JP's.

QUOTE]

He had one less win, but less losses than JP and a lot more draws. In short, we were a much more difficult team to beat. It is only because of the stupid system that awards three draws the same same value as one win that skews the statistics in favour of JP. Even with one and a half points for an away draw, one for a home draw, NP would be ahead.

Perhaps somebody should have explained the stupid system that awards three draws the same same value as one win to Pearson when he took over. It's the only time I've ever heard the points system as stupid. It was changed decades ago when untalented managers realised they didn't have to do anything more than become hard to beat in order to survive.

Alot of peeps beating there selfs up over this result, FFS you had 20 strikes to there ten, they got lucky, Home banker ref, Dodge decisions going there way, Manger leaving it to late with the subs, Some on hear even saying they were the better side, (f*ckin crap)....reality pill, Lowe has murdered this side, (for you to survive he had no choice) You as saints supporters have had a generation of watching high class players in a saint shirt, You are no longer in the promised land, Before you Boo this set of lads next time they take to the field Remember They are Not the lads who got you relegated, At the moment they are keeping your heads above water, And survival is what this season is about.

Alot of peeps beating there selfs up over this result, FFS you had 20 strikes to there ten, they got lucky, Home banker ref, Dodge decisions going there way, Manger leaving it to late with the subs, Some on hear even saying they were the better side, (f*ckin crap)....reality pill, Lowe has murdered this side, (for you to survive he had no choice) You as saints supporters have had a generation of watching high class players in a saint shirt, You are no longer in the promised land, Before you Boo this set of lads next time they take to the field Remember They are Not the lads who got you relegated, At the moment they are keeping your heads above water, And survival is what this season is about.

And what comes next season that's going to be different, when we have sub-10,000 attendances, O Oracle of Wisdom ??

Your opinion is of no interest to us, so run along.

The truth is that Stern will only play occasionaly and if he has abad game he will be dropped unlike McG,

As for Thomas, well he played a bit then was frozen out.

Euell well i believe he is fit now so i doubt it.

Killer will only play bit parts now.

As for Skacel,don`t make me laugh,it isn`t going to happen.

i do agree that McG seems untouchable and i do agree that some of the older players are being frozen out but they still must be part of the training process,they still must have some influence over the youngsters.that aside KD,perry,stern,wotton and svensson are all regulars and to some extent surman could be considered as having a bit of experience.

it would be nice to have a couple more old heads but we just dont have the money and who's to say that they would better the cause..........it a gamble that we cant afford.

We continue to 'flatter' teams like Coventry and QPR by playing abysmally. Wake up and smell the coffee. There are few 'good' teams in this Division. Reading, Birmingham and possibly Wolves. Outside of those three there are the 'average' and 'mediocre'. Remaining in this league at the end of this season is just about all we can hope for.

i agree with a lot of what you are saying,but your team spent many many years languishing in the football wilderness (outside of the prem/old 1st div) so your supporters didnt really know any different and most of them had no experiences of playing at the highest level whereas a lot of our fans are a tad bitter about the whole relegation experience and will try and persecute anybody who doesnt change our fortunes overnight,they have been spoiled and are now acting like spoiled children when things dont go the way they want them to.

the reality is that most of the young lads out there are trying their best,but it looks like their best isnt good enough for most people.they will learn to cope with playing in this league but it will take time,the best we can hope for this season is just to survive.

We continue to 'flatter' teams like Coventry and QPR by playing abysmally. Wake up and smell the coffee. There are few 'good' teams in this Division. Reading, Birmingham and possibly Wolves. Outside of those three there are the 'average' and 'mediocre'. Remaining in this league at the end of this season is just about all we can hope for.

Agree with what you say until you got to the bit about the remaining teams being average or mediocre. Logically for there to be any average teams, there are above average, average and below average teams. It begins to look as if we are one of the below average teams, although one could only really make that assessment justifiably at the end of the season.

TBF not one of the goals can be attributed to Mills.... 3 of the 4 came from moves down our right side and the other was from a long throw...

By all means have a moan, but make sure you're blaming the right people... Mills has been doing a decent job.

TBF at least two of the goals were Mills fault - which game did you watch?????? The cross for the header he was actually marking his man but let him attack the ball and I think it was the fourth he was totally out of position, He is drawn to the ball and leaves his zone totally unprotected. Sorry but endeavour is not enough both full backs are no where near good enough.

I just keep thinking that always at the far post we are missing defenders. This is basic football ffs. Is it inexperience? Our young kids in defence just seem to be drawn to where ever the ball is and then we concede especially the fall backs

Exactly !!!!!

Well done BWP too the best we have seen from him for .........errrrrr a long time!!!

Saints have the uncanny ability to make the most average side seem like champions league contenders!!.......no doubt many Coventry supporters will see another false dawn after this result......no not be fooled, the next workmanlike side will bring them back down to earth with a bang............

............... I rarely attend SMS like many thousands of others who are disillusioned either with football itself or the manner in which Saints exist, but I do recall the opening game of last season when they managed to make Crystal Palace appear like world beaters too!

Little has changed........personnel, yes......... but the sum of all the effort..........no.......exactly the same........will be a long time before I want to put my hand in my pocket for that lot!!

It begins to look as if we are one of the below average teams, although one could only really make that assessment justifiably at the end of the season.

I would suggest looking back to the performances against Blackpool, Doncaster, and Barnsley. Three of the 'weaker' teams in the league against which we struggled. Yes, I know that we actually beat Donny, but they could have has 4 by half-time if it wasn't for KD. You don't need to wait until the end of the season; we ARE one of the below average teams, and we will finish well down in the lower half of this division. There has been nothing in any of the matches so far to suggest otherwise, we cannot defend, we cannot score, and the manager has only one, flawed, idea as to tactics.

Very poor defending - and far too many unforced errors in giving the ball away (and Surman was as bad as the others).

There were some nice passing moves but no cutting edge. We need a natrual goal scorer and don't seem to have one.

Disappointing - but defence is the real problem - they cut through like a knife through butter.

Top post, it really is that easy to find a game plan to beat Saints.

Comments on yesterday's lamentable result ve Coventry:

(1) Surman's talent is wasted if played anywhere else but midfield.

(2) Right back is our obvious weakest link and when James is beaten the crosses exposed the vulnerability of our centre backs.

(3) McGoldrick is a total waste of space.

(4) One loan striker up front doesn't work; we only improved against Coventry when Peckart came on to join Robertson.

(5) I'm getting worried that after 10 games Poortvliet doesn't appear to see what is blindingly obvious to everyone else.

Another typical away Saints performance.

What annoy's me the most is in the last 12 years we have managed 2 wins when being a goal down. At any level of football that is shocking but when most of those years are in the top flight and the remainder in the 2nd tier it is appalling.

When are we going to have a team with a heart and a strong backbone ?

This whole club is weak and us as fans should not have to put up with these lacklustre displays season after season.