What worried me more last night

Thedelldays

I know what your saying. At the Ipswich game at SMS the other week, I was sat behind the dugout. JP was very static with his hands in his pockets, not saying or doing much, where as Jim Magilton was screaming instructions.

It might be that JP is watching and taking mental notes, and in the changing rooms shouts and screams.

I know what your saying. At the Ipswich game at SMS the other week, I was sat behind the dugout. JP was very static with his hands in his pockets, not saying or doing much, where as Jim Magilton was screaming instructions.

It might be that JP is watching and taking mental notes, and in the changing rooms shouts and screams.

I hope so as in the earlier games he was full of energy, motivating the players from the side, applauding them etc..

just seems flat to me...

probably nothing just something I noticed...JP with all the coaches and subs

Agree totally. Why was Jan not crying? If he cried I think the team would have gone on to win. I would like to see players holding each other when on the bench. I want to see people rocking or lying in a foetal position. This would all be positive and would help us no end.

:D

I don't think I have seen so much effort for such little reward

Agree totally. Why was Jan not crying? If he cried I think the team would have gone on to win. I would like to see players holding each other when on the bench. I want to see people rocking or lying in a foetal position. This would all be positive and would help us no end.

lol.

Delldays in 'Mountains out of Molehills' shock...

There's no right or wrong way to manage. It's all very well shouting and hollering on the sidelines, but does it really do any good? Poortvliet is more of a coach, and comes from that school of doing things. Unfortunately, that way is not employed much in Britain - we seem to prefer people who wave their arms about. The fact that Poortvliet uses this method is of no great concern to me.

What continues to worry me is the complete lack of any nouse in defending just about anything that is sent into the 18 yard area.

As for the young lad Lloyd James, just what the hell was he on? Never in position, completely skinned and totally bereft of any idea as to how to play, let alone defend.

Portaloo must be able to see this. The lads confidence will be shot to pieces if he is left in again to suffer as he did.

Sorry a complete shambles yesterday and the signs are worrying.

Still must be positive. At least I haven't splashed out any cash in advance this season and Milton Keynes and Northampton are not bad places to visit next year.

Perhaps he was jumping about when the camera wasn't on him?

Really, who cares? Wenger does not leap around much. Would much rather have a manager who thought things through than behaved like a chimpanzee on speed.

JP has a lot to think about and a lot to do. Judge him by his results rather than his histronics (or lack of them).

It is still early days. Nothing is going to transform this club over night. WE are far from the worst club in this division - sort the defence out and we will do fine. Coventry were down with us and have shot up the table.

Perhaps he was jumping about when the camera wasn't on him?

Really, who cares? Wenger does not leap around much. Would much rather have a manager who thought things through than behaved like a chimpanzee on speed.

JP has a lot to think about and a lot to do. Judge him by his results rather than his histronics (or lack of them).

It is still early days. Nothing is going to transform this club over night. WE are far from the worst club in this division - sort the defence out and we will do fine. Coventry were down with us and have shot up the table.

and they get to play experience players. and got investment to buy players.

they got it easy compared to us. But they've got far worse support than us.

Edited by Calvin

What continues to worry me is the complete lack of any nouse in defending just about anything that is sent into the 18 yard area.

As for the young lad Lloyd James, just what the hell was he on? Never in position, completely skinned and totally bereft of any idea as to how to play, let alone defend.

Portaloo must be able to see this. The lads confidence will be shot to pieces if he is left in again to suffer as he did.

Still must be positive. At least I haven't splashed out any cash in advance this season and Milton Keynes and Northampton are not bad places to visit next year.

James was poor against Norwich and james was very, very lucky to get away with it.

SOG,there is no sign that JP has the foggiest about defending in this league.

Which is a huge worry. He says the right things in general terms and perhaps he feels that it is inapproriate to single out one area for critisism, who knows? But we do concded far too easily and the fact that Kelvin has been our best player of late speaks volumes.

I have not taken to critising managers over the last few seasons because I think they have a very tough job here and have done what they can with what they have, but I am worried that JP seems happy to bring in more midfield and attacking options whilst not addressing the defensive fralties. Perhaps it is a Dutch thing? For all of the quality players the Dutch had and have they don't have much sliverware to show. Probably the greatest squad ever was the Brazil team in 1970, and they could defend.

I am guesing that the plan is to keep a group of youngsters together and spend time moulding them into a team. I can live with that, but if some of these players are not good enough and maybe never will be, I for one would not stick with them.

It is always a tough call, but I would rathe see a bunch of old warhorses at the back and use the youth in midfield and upfront for a time. It does nothing fo anyones confidence to see the way that teams cut through us at the back.

Lots of work to be done, just hope it is done in the right areas!

Which is a huge worry. He says the right things in general terms and perhaps he feels that it is inapproriate to single out one area for critisism, who knows? But we do concded far too easily and the fact that Kelvin has been our best player of late speaks volumes.

I have not taken to critising managers over the last few seasons because I think they have a very tough job here and have done what they can with what they have, but I am worried that JP seems happy to bring in more midfield and attacking options whilst not addressing the defensive fralties. Perhaps it is a Dutch thing? For all of the quality players the Dutch had and have they don't have much sliverware to show. Probably the greatest squad ever was the Brazil team in 1970, and they could defend.

I am guesing that the plan is to keep a group of youngsters together and spend time moulding them into a team. I can live with that, but if some of these players are not good enough and maybe never will be, I for one would not stick with them.

It is always a tough call, but I would rathe see a bunch of old warhorses at the back and use the youth in midfield and upfront for a time. It does nothing fo anyones confidence to see the way that teams cut through us at the back.

Lots of work to be done, just hope it is done in the right areas!

The trouble is we are still lacking a spine ie a decent natural goal scoring centre forward, a leader in the middle of the park and a dominant centre-back. No wonder we are starting to fall apart. Decent man though he may be I do think JP out of his depth.

The trouble is we are still lacking a spine ie a decent natural goal scoring centre forward, a leader in the middle of the park and a dominant centre-back. No wonder we are starting to fall apart. Decent man though he may be I do think JP out of his depth.

Agree we need more backbone but how do we get the winners needed in those positions to make this a decent team when, of course, as we all know, we're skint?

The alternative is that the manager instills it into the players we've got. I remember Peter Taylor (of Clough and Taylor fame) when asked on TV once what he looked for in signing a player, identified the ability to pass the ball. When pressed on the importance of the will to win he said he and Clough weren't bothered about that because they could put that in the players. It's down to JP to put the winning mentality into the youngsters. Can he do it?

Having said that Clough reckoned (to my mate when on holiday in Mallorca a years or so before he died) that the best signing he ever made was Dave Mackay who he persuaded not to retire and around whom he built his title winning side. We need another Bally or Jimmy Case. That's down to RL and MW.

i think you have completely missed the point here..:rolleyes:
How has he? Unless you have used words in their incorrect contexts he has summed up your point from a differing viewpoint.

I know you were joking, but you make a good point, I don't know quite what people expect.

There's no right or wrong way to manage. It's all very well shouting and hollering on the sidelines, but does it really do any good? Poortvliet is more of a coach, and comes from that school of doing things. Unfortunately, that way is not employed much in Britain - we seem to prefer people who wave their arms about. The fact that Poortvliet uses this method is of no great concern to me.

Well said.

I consider this as stupid an observation as when people used to berate Burley's post match interviews for being dull, which is as relevant to how the team played as it was to his performance in bed.

Missed the real point with James. He was trying to fill the whole of the right side, front and back on his own, as McGoldrick refuses to play where he is put, doesn't track back, and is totally selfish in the way he plays.

It needs the other players to pass the ball out to the empty right side and then tell him to get out there. He will then become the scapegoat.

James needs to just sit back and pass down the line rather than trying to do too much. He will then be less exposed and make McGoldrick look stupid.

SOG,there is no sign that JP has the foggiest about defending in this league.

Against Barnsley, Doncaster Rovers and the worst Norwich team in living memory.

Well, f**k me, I'm convinced...:rolleyes:

Those three teams appear to be in this league.

alpine = moronic idiot. QED.

Having only seen the 3 live games on Sky, it has appeared obvious from those games that our full backs are being exposed with sickening ease and they aren't able to stop crosses coming in from the byline.

We have the same problem from either freekicks or most clearly from corners where we appear to be a sixes and sevens every time.

My worry is that JP and his coaches think that if we encourage one/ two touch flowing attacking passing football this will overcome the frailties we have defensively.

Saturday's game sent alarm bells ringing in my head that we need to sort out our defence quickly otherwise this season will be a real struggle as any team with any nouse will review our match videos and use wingers to cause us constant problems.

From listening to the Norwich game we were lucky that Davis was outstanding and that if Sibierski had found the inside of the post rather than it rebound out off it we would have lost that match to IMHO.

It is so clear for any neutral watching let alone a fan, I worry why we have ignored it and keep signing midfield/ forwards on loan rather than full backs. It almost feels like deja vu, with Burley and his centre back problem. Do these 'coaches' have a blind spot or something?

i agee i think we had the same type of nonsense about pearson being out of his depth last season ,i backed pearson and am happy to back jan.

So Pearson wasn't any good because we were convinced he just jumped up and down on the touchline all game. Now Poortvliet is no good because he doesn't jump up and down enough.

Perhaps we should advertise the job for the next applicant specifying exactly how much jumping up and down would be adequate for us as fans?

By all means let's discuss the failings of the players or the tactics - but criticising the manager's reactions when we go 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 down so easily is surely pointless. The 4-1 scoreline (and the manner of our defeat) means we interpret Poortvliet's silence as weakness and Coleman's agitation as sign of a commanding manager. If the scoreline was reversed, we'd see Poortvliet's silence as being in control and Coleman's agitation as a sign of desperation. It's all subjective.

It gets a little ridiculous on this forum watching how each defeat leads to painfully self-conscious dissections of what the manager says, how the manager stands, what brand of underwear he wears, etc. etc.

The important stuff is on the field. Everything else is just a poor reflection of it - and as such is open to our own interpretations.

I thought his substitutions were brave and did change the flow of the game in our favour.

Exactly - but you won't get far on this forum displaying sense like that.

He made a change which got us back creating chances (although it left us as weak at the back as ever). It got us back to 3-1 and (if Macgoldrick had converted that bread and butter one-on-one) we could have been back at 3-2, even if we didn't deserve to be.

This forum seems to willingly find only the worst in things. We've complained about managers who can't use substitutes properly or change their system. Poortvliet did both and yet we're discussing whether he was making enough noise on the touchline. Bizarre.

Exactly - but you won't get far on this forum displaying sense like that.

He made a change which got us back creating chances (although it left us as weak at the back as ever). It got us back to 3-1 and (if Macgoldrick had converted that bread and butter one-on-one) we could have been back at 3-2, even if we didn't deserve to be.

This forum seems to willingly find only the worst in things. We've complained about managers who can't use substitutes properly or change their system. Poortvliet did both and yet we're discussing whether he was making enough noise on the touchline. Bizarre.

TOA I have got used to in the main shouting into the wind...or should be at the windbags.

This site is only lively after a defeat and then the anti's are in full throw, they have the International break to keep it going as well.