Students

Thedelldays

Absolutely. One thing I havent found out is if this £21k salary will rise with inflation? For example, £21k in 2022 could well be the equivalent of todays £15k. This would mean graduates are paying back loans whilst not earning a great amount at all.

A £21k salary in todays money, at least in the south east, will get chewed up by all the overheads such as rent and council tax as you have mentioned, a 30-40k debt on top of that would be seriously depressing... a mortgage... forget it! If you have that kind of debt on your shoulders, you aint got no chance! A few of my friends are experiencing this with 15-20k debts round there necks, from debt accrued before the tuition fees came in! a mate who works in a building society reckons you need a £40k deposit if you want to buy a house for £150-200k.

its not painting a bright picture. I was a year before the hike to £3k a year tuition, so lucky!

I think the only way forward for young aspiring people are to go through commercial degrees, a BA in Tesco retail management, Bsc in Llyods Fincance etc... a commercial appentice as such, where you earn less, to contribute towards your education and training, but you dont finish with a lifetime of debt!

we currently pump out 0.5m graduates a year (in whatever discipline), Chinas pumping out 32m (60x us)...[/QUOTE]

I really don't get your point? China's population is circa 200x ours (1.34b vs 68m). Do you think we can compete with them on numbers? If you do and are University educated them I think you've put this arguement to bed.

Also, mortgages do not take Student debt into consideration at all, so completely forget that part of your arguement as well.

And yes, the point at which you pay this back does go up with inflation.

Bit harsh!

my final sentence was there for no real reason actually, other than to highlight where the intellectual elite will come from in the future in my opinion.

Just to annoy you, I have two vocational degrees, a well paid job and not a penny of debt. I am the kind of person who would now not consider going with the proposed debt figures in mind. I am also one of those people in Labours plans i think. I am not the 'educational elite', I was always middle of the road results wise, it was the hard work and endeavour that got me through, and on to a postgraduate. I am evidence that regular people did go to university and actually came out of it much better off than when they went in!

I think those that studied during my time were the last lot to ever see such heavily subsidised higher education. So lucky.

Absolutely no regrets for me, and thanks for subsidising it for me, i am however concerned and sympathetic towards those who will be affected by this tuition hike. Bearing in mind I started university in 2004, the tuition fees were 1.5k p.a if i recall, to do the identical degrees from 2012 onwards, you are looking at 9k p.a. A six fold increase in cost, i doubt the quality will be a six fold jump. I know this is not what we are discussing, but still, what a hike!

student debt and mortgages do need to be considered in my opinion. If you have 10/20/30k of university debt on your head, which you will be obliged to pay off over a timespan similar to a mortgage, the graduate shoudl take that into account. In the same way you would consider a loan for a car perhaps, the monthly payments may impact on how much you have to contribute towards a mortage. If your mortgage was £600pm, and your graduate debt £100pm, you will be looking at £700pm, not £600pm... so whilst you may be mortgageable with a student debt, I wouldnt completely disregard it if I were you!

Good to hear about the inflation (taking your word for it), because that would be a right stitch up.

P.S for the grammar police, I have not proof read or spell checked anything by the way!

Bit harsh!

my final sentence was there for no real reason actually, other than to highlight where the intellectual elite will come from in the future in my opinion.

Just to annoy you, I have two vocational degrees, a well paid job and not a penny of debt. I am the kind of person who would now not consider going with the proposed debt figures in mind. I am also one of those people in Labours plans i think. I am not the 'educational elite', I was always middle of the road results wise, it was the hard work and endeavour that got me through, and on to a postgraduate. I am evidence that regular people did go to university and actually came out of it much better off than when they went in!

I think those that studied during my time were the last lot to ever see such heavily subsidised higher education. So lucky.

Absolutely no regrets for me, and thanks for subsidising it for me, i am however concerned and sympathetic towards those who will be affected by this tuition hike. Bearing in mind I started university in 2004, the tuition fees were 1.5k p.a if i recall, to do the identical degrees from 2012 onwards, you are looking at 9k p.a. A six fold increase in cost, i doubt the quality will be a six fold jump. I know this is not what we are discussing, but still, what a hike!

student debt and mortgages do need to be considered in my opinion. If you have 10/20/30k of university debt on your head, which you will be obliged to pay off over a timespan similar to a mortgage, the graduate shoudl take that into account. In the same way you would consider a loan for a car perhaps, the monthly payments may impact on how much you have to contribute towards a mortage. If your mortgage was £600pm, and your graduate debt £100pm, you will be looking at £700pm, not £600pm... so whilst you may be mortgageable with a student debt, I wouldnt completely disregard it if I were you!

Good to hear about the inflation (taking your word for it), because that would be a right stitch up.

P.S for the grammar police, I have not proof read or spell checked anything by the way!

more likely to be six times worse

At £21k pa a gradutate will pay nothing.

At £22k pa a grad will repay £90pa

At £30k pa a grad will repay £810pa

At £50k pa a grad will repay £2610 pa

At £150k pa a grad will repay £11,610 pa

And if you haven't managed to repay it in 30 years its written off

On the face of it, it doesn't sound too bad. You won't repay a huge sum until you reach a decent salary. BTW I believe that under the new proposals, the monthly repayments actually fall for low earning grads. The current salary threshhold is £15k pa.

and how much is this all going to cost to administer?

I hope you're only saying that because I've not been clear. I don't mean that people from poor background are unlikely to be able to become successful. What I mean is that young people from poor backgrounds might have less confidence that they will become wealthy post-university than someone who comes from a background of high earning family.

But I don't think they would. I think that the disadvantage they have is that their parent's don't have the contacts, and they don't have 'family history' on their side - the sort of nudge nudge wink wink agreements that get you into an Oxbridge college because daddy went there.

Parading your prejudices as facts doesn't make them any more true. What evidence do you have that 'academic institutions' offered courses of the lowest denomination?

And it's not baby boomers who are making government policy - Clegg, Cameron et al are MUCH younger than that.

http://www.sportsjournalists.co.uk/courses-and-training/academic-slams-mickey-mouse-journalism-courses/

http://www.birminghampost.net/news/west-midlands-education-news/2010/03/08/universities-urged-to-drop-mickey-mouse-degrees-to-ease-funding-crisis-65233-25987705/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/02/19/degrees-are-just-taking-the-mickey-115875-22053849/

**** me Verbal, you are full of it today. Teh internet is full of examples, just a few above. Or maybe i'm wrong? Maybe a BA in Dance with Equine Studies is just what this country needs? And Clegg and Cameron are trying to SORT OUT the problem not implement it, or is that too difficult for you to understand? Did you do a BSc in Firing from the Hip perchance?

But I don't think they would. I think that the disadvantage they have is that their parent's don't have the contacts, and they don't have 'family history' on their side - the sort of nudge nudge wink wink agreements that get you into an Oxbridge college because daddy went there.

Well I don't disagree that having contacts helps you a long into Oxbridge and then into good jobs. But many kids from disadvantaged background don't even bother applying for university because their expectations are too low. Rightly or wrongly the perceptions held in relation to the whole tuition fee debate will and indeed are putting off kids from poor backgrounds from considering university - this has been reported serveral times in the last few weeks in mainstream media reports.

The problem with these fees is no matter how they plan to get students to pay it back, the idea of getting in over 50K of debt is way way more off-putting to someone from a deprived background. I'm not from a deprived background but my parents were not hugely well off and when I went to uni I was terrified of getting into debt and worked/saved instead of getting loans. Under this current system there is no way I would go to university.

The argument that "you will get a high paid job at the end of it so should pay" is right in some cases but most of the really highly paid people I know didn't go to uni - why get 50K in debt to study something worthwhile when you can earn more selling mortgages and have no debt?

Surely it's important for the country that the brightest people better themselves and are not put off, I would just raise the tax level for the very rich to pay for it because if you work along the rationalle that graduates get the highly paid jobs then they would be paying for it anyway.

Edited by aintforever

Let me put it this way. If I had just left college and got a place in medschool, and my parents didn't have a bean between the pair of them, I'd still go for it under the proposed scheme.

You've missed my point, the perception held by many many young people means that they wouldn't have bothered even applying to medschool in the first place.

I keep hearing student protesters and critics of the proposal screaming that it will stop people even going to university because they cant afford to repay the enormous debts they would run up. tbpf, if nothing else its doing a decent job of weeding out the degree-course gene pool; if a prospective student genuinely cannot grasp the simple concept that they will not have to repay any of the "debt" until and unless they are earning a relatively high salary (which in all likelihood they would never have commanded without a degree), then I would question whether anybody, even themselves, ought to be paying for that person to undertake further education at all.

I keep hearing student protesters and critics of the proposal screaming that it will stop people even going to university because they cant afford to repay the enormous debts they would run up. tbpf, if nothing else its doing a decent job of weeding out the degree-course gene pool; if a prospective student genuinely cannot grasp the simple concept that they will not have to repay any of the "debt" until and unless they are earning a relatively high salary (which in all likelihood they would never have commanded without a degree), then I would question whether anybody, even themselves, ought to be paying for that person to undertake further education at all.

Quite,

I'd be interested to do a survey on which courses a lot of these protesting students are doing.

You've missed my point, the perception held by many many young people means that they wouldn't have bothered even applying to medschool in the first place.

If what you assert is true, then i suspect these perceptions were already there and all the extra course fees have done is added additional weight to the arguement.

iirc you only pay towards the first 3 years of a medicine degree, your clinical years are paid for by the NHS or something. it's basically the same as any other degree, except you get to dissect **** and actually get contact time for your money, whereas degrees like mine you get nothing other than some notes, a couple of useless lectures and get told to do it yourself.

Was listening to the radio last night and the Ian Collins show were debating this issue...

The supporters of the protests kept going on how the country is behind them and how clegg has let everyone down..

Sorry, but what planet are these people on???

What they are protesting for is very much against the elected mandate.. In that the labour party would have done the same.. The libdems have to concede on this seeing as their views in tuition fees are very much in the minority...

Personally I feel sorry or the wannabe nurses, doctors, scientists, engineers etc..

But what I detest, is the thought of funding someone doing the likes of media studies or those who want to go to uni for lifestyle reasons...

Why is it society seems to be judged on hoe many people go to uni??

watching BBC news with snooker balls being thrown at the police...policemen in hospital with injuries...absolute disgrace

gold balls being thrown..police being shot with paintballs...flares thrown at police horses

ffs

who the fuk do these muppets protesting like this think they are.

I stand by what I said above

edit - I wonder if the NUS or students in general will be prepared to cough up for the policing costs..? or the costs of putting right the vandalism their lot have caused

Edited by Thedelldays

according to a truely repulsive woman on GMTV, todays protests in London are going to be peaceful and any violence and disorder will be the fault of the police.

So when you see Londons monuments covered in graffiti and buildings on fire with windows smashed, remember it was the Police that did it.

yep.....poor students on their blaming the police for disrupting their peaceful protest..

yeeeaaah right

The Police love it Delldays, probably some of them in the station now ensuring there is no evidence of them beating up protesters, whilst ensuring the media film as much as they can of Police officers getting hit. They are just as bad when push comes to shove, if you are going to surge at protesters on an horse then expect to run the risk of falling off. They will kettle them now and give the protesters a good beating.

Its a difficult job but I bet a lot of these are the same thugs in uniform that volunteer to Police the big football matches, a good excuse to justify giving someone a good beating with a truncheon, as the adrenalin buzzes around the body. Then just point out they were the aggressors.

I'll never forget the footage of that man they killed for the heinous act of being awkward and walking slowly with your hands in your pockets. I bet that officer is working today, front line and swinging his truncheon like a good one.

To be fair, the Met can be a bunch of c*nts as well.

which the worst being reported is that they "charged" a lively group on horse back...

whilst being pelted with snooker balls, things on fire being thrown at them..fireworks being thrown at the police horses...being SHOT with paint balls.

coppers in hospital..one which is described as very serious

yet, not one mention from the great unwashed about police brutality (when im sure they would love to)

I am amazed no one has got a kicking

edit - OH NO...someone is claiming the police ha stolen his keys..

which the worst being reported is that they "charged" a lively group on horse back...

whilst being pelted with snooker balls, things on fire being thrown at them..fireworks being thrown at the police horses...being SHOT with paint balls.

coppers in hospital..one which is described as very serious

yet, not one mention from the great unwashed about police brutality (when im sure they would love to)

I am amazed no one has got a kicking

edit - OH NO...someone is claiming the police ha stolen his keys..

Hopefully the rozzer in hospital is the same one who pushed me whilst saying "I ****ing hate football fans" at Millwall away last year.

Have a mate in the force, he confirmed that a large element of those who regularly take part in the riot squad are complete tits.

Having said that, it is never the police's fault. never ever.

not this time it seems....not one mention of police brutality..from a group that would not doubt shout from the rooftops if pushed over by a copper..

i am amazed how little police react in face of such provocation

yeah...always the police fault..

update - one student is claiming their protest in being hijacked by people with violent motives..

probably the police too

unless, you think the police control the BBC/ITV/SKY reporters/helicopters..?

I take it you have not been reading about the Wiki leaks of late? That tells you all about governments and their view on using the media to tell us what they think we want to here and to control us, Wiki is showing them for the liars that they are and governments don't like it - only there are allowed to lie, deceive and tell us they know best or it's in our interests.

Reagan summed it up when he said something along the lines of "Government is the problem, not the solution"

Read 'Media Control' by Naom Chomsky to gain further insight. I'm sure you won't but I would advise it.

not this time it seems....not one mention of police brutality..from a group that would not doubt shout from the rooftops if pushed over by a copper..

i am amazed how little police react in face of such provocation

Depends where you're getting your information from. The Guardian blog is reporting an unconscious protester being attended to by paramedics and wheelchair bound protester being dragged away by police without his chair. Who to believe?!

BTW, it mentions paintballs but implies they were thrown, not SHOT!

Depends where you're getting your information from. The Guardian blog is reporting an unconscious protester being attended to by paramedics and wheelchair bound protester being dragged away by police without his chair. Who to believe?!

BTW, it mentions paintballs but implies they were thrown, not SHOT!

im watching it live on BBC news as I type

im watching it live on BBC news as I type

what the entire protest? Have they got the whole scene covered in one camera angle while you keep a tally of the injured?

I don't wish violence on anyone, indeed the last time I got involved in any violence was a minor scuffle at school when I was about 9 years old. Having said that Delldays, this is small beer compared to political protests of the past, you better steer well clear of 'library' footage of the Poll Tax riots or the Miners Strike - it will give you nightmares.

I'm in London now, went out for a mooch at lunch and have witnessed the Students, most steaming drunk and blatently up for a tear up. I hope those on here appeasing them were the same ones saying our fans that merely shook a fence in the deby game this year deserved 2 year prison sentances as they were tearing up loads of fences trying to get at the police earlier. Will the standard have mug shots of every single fence rattler on their front page like the Echo did?

Have completely ruined their chances of any sympathy - anyone that has seen it with their own eyes (or to be fair, the footage on that Tory loving right wing bastion of student hating - the BBC) will vouch for it.

Complete idiots that would all be facing years inside if they were football fans acting 10% as bad as they are today at or around a football match. Acting no better than the rioting Moscow fans last night. Hope they don't get in the way of my train home....

It doesn't matter if it is drunk students, subversive elements or anachists, the headline tomorrow will be that the student protest are incapable of being peaceful. therefore the next time they try to organise one, there will be even more riot police and it will escalate from there.

The minute a demonstration turns violent, it loses public support. Even the nUS leadership recognised that after the last episode.

I trust these students were not skipping lectures that Ihave subsidised on their behalf.;)

Just leaving work now.

Got to cycle past this mob to get to the station. Watch the news later for reports of students being mown down by a nutter on a Boris Bike.

I'll only aim for the ones that are wearing masks to protect their identity and are clearly up for a ruck.

Virtually the same argument, except students aren't notorious for their inherent racism and thuggish behaviour at every single demonstration.

Are you sure Mikey?

It seems to me that the past three demonstrations - is that all of them? - have definitely involved thuggish behaviour! First there was the attempted murder from the fire extinguisher thrower, that would be classed as thuggish wouldn't it? That one also included the unlawful entry of a building, which then got 'trashed' and lots of the furniture set on fire, surely that's bordering on thuggish isn't it? Then the next demonstration involved the students destroying a police van, setting off the fire extinguishers, stealing all the equipment from inside it - are we getting close to thuggish yet? Then there's todays 'demonstration' which according to the pictures being shown on Sky news appear to be pretty thuggish to me.

Perhaps someone has re-drawn the boundaries on what is and isn't thuggish behaviour and not told me - presumably they haven't told the judges sitting on the various 'football violence' cases either, as I saw lots of fence shaking today on the news, which is apperently - according to the judge - very thuggish behaviour.

I simply do not see why I should subsidise a young lad who does not know what he wants to do....and just want to explore himself by doing a course in media studies......smoke and party for 3 years...

Err.... maybe because without an educated society there is little opportunity to create wealth. The wealthiest nations have the best education systems. Fact. If the government wants to save money they could start by cutting back on our pointless armed forces.

By Jove....I've worked out what the problem is here.

It's the mis-labelling of the student fees as "debt".

The student fees aren't 'debt' in the true sense of the word. It's effectively a future monthly payment to the Chancellor of the Exchequer. In other words it's a relatively small amount of additional tax wrapped up indifferent words.

I know that I will have to pay the exchequer around £2,000 a month for the next 25 years or so. Does that make me in debt by £50,000 as of today? Using the same logic as the anti fees brigade, the answer is yes.

Everyone: take a step back for a moment and look at the fees in a new light - they are simply an extension to your monthly/annual/lifetime tax commitments. And those who are better off tend to pay more tax.

It all seems pretty logical to me. It's the mis-use of the word 'debt' that is confusing people...

Strewth, I'm too profound for my own good sometimes.... ;-)

Err.... maybe because without an educated society there is little opportunity to create wealth. The wealthiest nations have the best education systems. Fact. If the government wants to save money they could start by cutting back on our pointless armed forces.

im all for degrees in medicine, engineering etc to be paid for.....but media studies, david beckham studies and the like..??

nah...

lol at the students shouting "tory scum"...do they not realise labour would have done the same..?