Students

Thedelldays

But did every student do that? No. Which was the point.

I condemn the behaviour that you describe above, but it wasn't everyone.

If there is some violence at a football game that you attended, is it fair to blame all fans who attended for the violence?

Of course, not, but someone or something needs to be held accountable. In the case of football, it's the club who get fined. In this case the Student body who organised the demo need to be held accountable. It seems like a minority of people, whether students or not, were responsible for the violence and as it was as a result of the demo, then the organisers need to answer questions. If this is going to happen in the future, then they need to question their methods of protest.

Of course, not, but someone or something needs to be held accountable. In the case of football, it's the club who get fined. In this case the Student body who organised the demo need to be held accountable. It seems like a minority of people, whether students or not, were responsible for the violence and as it was as a result of the demo, then the organisers need to answer questions. If this is going to happen in the future, then they need to question their methods of protest.

But can they be held accountable for everyone who turns up, they can't turn away undesirables from public streets can they?

The Dell Days, are you using this thread to audition for a writing position on the Daily Mail? Think you've got the moral outrage and indignation down to a tee.

Why does it seem that if you don't want to pay for someone else to go to uni.. And don't like watching people smash up public buildings that we will have to pay for to be repaired.. Mean you love the daily mail???

Christ

Why does it seem that if you don't want to pay for someone else to go to uni.. And don't like watching people smash up public buildings that we will have to pay for to be repaired.. Mean you love the daily mail???

Christ

Well you described them as the great unwashed, sounds like a sweeping generalisation straight from the Mail to me

Well you described them as the great unwashed, sounds like a sweeping generalisation straight from the Mail to me

Sweeping generalisations are DD's speciality. According to him, anybody who condemned the EDL mosque demo in Pompey the other week is a 'yoghurt-knitter', whatever one of those is.

lol..because I used the term "great unwashed" I MUST read, like, want to work for...The MAIL..

ok..I will stop using the term "great unwashed" and just use the word..."students" instead

Edited by Thedelldays

dull, dunce and co are right!!!!

Students today make my blood boil. Lazy layabouts sponging off us tax payers, lying in bed all day, smoking wacky bacy, shouting ban the bomb and complaining about grants etc

I have it on good authority that these trouble making commie/markist/soap dodger/anarchist no gooders are paid to cause trouble and get a cheque from Moscow and even get a free vegan packed lunch provided.

I didn't spend ten years finishing my HND and marching with the NF to put up with this. These people need to be either shot by the army or be given 10 years national service so they know what real work is.

Most of these students are not from Britain and should not be here at all. We need a BNP ruled country with no doctors, medicine or electricity so we can look after our own. Join my Express Crusade sponsered by All Whites' lemonade in making Britian great again and free of students, univeristies, commies, marxists, unions, council estates, public sector riff raff, foriegners i dont like etc

Most people like myself never needed to go to university in order to feel bitter and twisted. I was a model pupil at skool and got a B+ for making a model German airfix plane once. This has not held me back from fullfilling my life in my bedroom preaching the truth to the people.

Did i mention laptops!!! don't even get me started on kids who can't read and have poor lazy parents getting laptops to play computer games...

Yours disgusted

Stanley Jackboots June

Keyboard warrior

On a Crusade

Rhodesia

lol..because I used the term "great unwashed" I MUST read, like, want to work for...The MAIL..

ok..I will stop using the term "great unwashed" and just use the word..."students" instead

Delldays, I'm pretty sure that submarine that you ponce about all day in at tax-payers expense would have been designed by someone who was once part of "the great unwashed", same goes for the radar that stops you ass getting sunk by the Russians, and the missiles you might maybe actually get to use one day.

You don't have to go to university to be rich or successful, you've obviously proved that because you earn a living pushing a few buttons on a machine that some clever person has managed to create - society benefits from the furthering of knowledge, that's why people should be encouraged to study and learn.

You never know, one of those stone throwers at yesterday's demo might end up developing a wepeons system that stops you becoming fish food some time in the future.

I think university has to made more for the few but by that I mean only for those serious about going and studying hard for worthwhile subjects, regardless of background. I think the raised tuition fees will contribute to this which is why I am for them.

Get rid of the "golf course design" and "wine tasting" courses and focus on academic and core subjects that allow people to go into a certain profession.

Sadly the amount of these joke degrees boomed under the Labour government as one of the many ways to manipulate and get the unemployment figures down, and this contributed towards a lot of the decadent boozing culture that engulfs a lot of universities now. As a friend of mine found out if you aren't someone who likes going out to nightclubs and getting ****ed regularly you can very easily become socially excluded.

Sadly a lot of universities in part now, are less "universities", and more school playgrounds designed for grown up kids.

Edited by JackFrost

Delldays, I'm pretty sure that submarine that you ponce about all day in at tax-payers expense would have been designed by someone who was once part of "the great unwashed", same goes for the radar that stops you ass getting sunk by the Russians, and the missiles you might maybe actually get to use one day.

You don't have to go to university to be rich or successful, you've obviously proved that because you earn a living pushing a few buttons on a machine that some clever person has managed to create - society benefits from the furthering of knowledge, that's why people should be encouraged to study and learn.

You never know, one of those stone throwers at yesterday's demo might end up developing a wepeons system that stops you becoming fish food some time in the future.

Well said.

I think university has to made more for the few but by that I mean only for those serious about going and studying hard for worthwhile subjects. I think the raised tuition fees will contribute to this which is why I am for them.

Get rid of the "golf course design" and "wine tasting" courses and focus on academic and core subjects that allow people to go into a certain profession.

Sadly the amount of these joke degrees boomed under the Labour government as one of the many ways to manipulate and get the unemployment figures down.

I understand your point, but what if you want to be golf course designer or run your own wine tasting business? Where do you go then? Work experience will only get you so far, sooner or later you will need to show ability on an 'educational' scale. Why do you think that companies send people on so many courses?

dull, dunce and co are right!!!!

Students today make my blood boil. Lazy layabouts sponging off us tax payers, lying in bed all day, smoking wacky bacy, shouting ban the bomb and complaining about grants etc

I have it on good authority that these trouble making commie/markist/soap dodger/anarchist no gooders are paid to cause trouble and get a cheque from Moscow and even get a free vegan packed lunch provided.

I didn't spend ten years finishing my HND and marching with the NF to put up with this. These people need to be either shot by the army or be given 10 years national service so they know what real work is.

Most of these students are not from Britain and should not be here at all. We need a BNP ruled country with no doctors, medicine or electricity so we can look after our own. Join my Express Crusade sponsered by All Whites' lemonade in making Britian great again and free of students, univeristies, commies, marxists, unions, council estates, public sector riff raff, foriegners i dont like etc

Most people like myself never needed to go to university in order to feel bitter and twisted. I was a model pupil at skool and got a B+ for making a model German airfix plane once. This has not held me back from fullfilling my life in my bedroom preaching the truth to the people.

Did i mention laptops!!! don't even get me started on kids who can't read and have poor lazy parents getting laptops to play computer games...

Yours disgusted

Stanley Jackboots June

Keyboard warrior

On a Crusade

Rhodesia

Do you post the same thing every time you don't agree with comments? F*cking dull c*nt.

I understand your point, but what if you want to be golf course designer or run your own wine tasting business? Where do you go then? Work experience will only get you so far, sooner or later you will need to show ability on an 'educational' scale. Why do you think that companies send people on so many courses?

I doubt there are even courses on wine tasting - viticulture - winemaking maybe. As long as the number of places on vocational courses is broadly related to the number of jobs available I dont care what people study. There are too many people doing crap courses at crap universities but thats a result of the drive to get 50% of 18 year olds into university - which was always a fundamentally flawed idea.

If you are going to protest then get noticed. If there was no trouble then nothing would change! Reveloutions did not happen with nice quiet protests. The Council tax was brought to a halt, and Thatcher was knocked from her perch just a few months later, and then a few months after this the Tories were out of power. If you want change and you want to protest then you sometimes have to take extreme measures.

I am not saying this to ruffle feathers. I am a 35 nearly 36 year old married father of two who lives in Royston Town in Hertfordshire. This is what I believe, as we do tend to mess about with protests and it is about time we got some balls as a unhappy nation and changed things. You have to admit get rid of Child Benefit and now the increase in the fees for students, does cameroon not like young people?

If you are going to protest then get noticed. If there was no trouble then nothing would change! Reveloutions did not happen with nice quiet protests. The Council tax was brought to a halt, and Thatcher was knocked from her perch just a few months later, and then a few months after this the Tories were out of power. If you want change and you want to protest then you sometimes have to take extreme measures.

I am not saying this to ruffle feathers. I am a 35 nearly 36 year old married father of two who lives in Royston Town in Hertfordshire. This is what I believe, as we do tend to mess about with protests and it is about time we got some balls as a unhappy nation and changed things. You have to admit get rid of Child Benefit and now the increase in the fees for students, does cameroon not like young people?

Revolution..........are you for real, and you a father of two ffs.

As to the latter, I doubt DC likes the thought of a bankrupt country either. You may jump up and down, you may throw your teddies out of the proverbial pram, but how about you give us the foresight of your solution!! and not just bang on about raising taxes, like the student body suggests.

This thread is a great example of how many people seem unable to separate the key points when discussing issues such as this.

The way I see it, the following are all being discussed, but one issue is often clouding another, and an opinion on one area does not and should not automatically lead to a specific opinion on another, but that is the assumption that so many make.

1 - The violence initiated from within the demonstration.

2 - The reaction by the Police.

3 - The right to a degree education.

4 - How to fund a degree education.

5 - The current government proposal on the above.

Personally speaking:

1 - I completely and entirely condemn the violence.

2 - I do not believe the Police response helped, and incited further trouble.

3 - I believe everyone should be entitled to apply for a degree education, with places going to those who meet specified academic standards. Those who don't meet those criteria however, should still have the opportunity to learn in other ways, through vocational training or NVQ's etc... Degrees are the top of the pile, but other forms of education are just as important to help improve all levels of society. And I say that as an employer as well as an individual.

4 - I see the education of future generations as being something in the nations interest, not just the students'. I recognise the need for fiscal prudence, but I believe there are other ways in which education could be state-funded without these measures, and that if possible, that is how it should be.

5 - Given my fundamental difference of opinion above, clearly I do not support the Government's current proposals. HOWEVER, if it is to happen, I firmly believe that with a bit of commons sense and some basic understanding of how to budget, the new system should not prevent anyone going to University if they really want to. I support those who are (peacefully) protesting about it, and until such time as it is decided, believe it is important to exercise that democratic right, but IF it passes into law, then that is when I feel people should be realistic and honest about their own situation and I am confident that if people really want to, then most will be able to pay their way.

It depends on the field but the majority of employers in my experience far prefer relevant work experience to a relevant degree.

It's the same for me. I have no problem at all with young people wanting to be educated so they can get a decent job. It's the people who don't think they should pay for their degree, even though all of them can afford it, and so thrown their toys out the Pram. Defacing a monument to war heroes and a statue of Sir WC isn't exactly endearing them to the rest of the nation.

Me neither, and I have no problem at all with people wanting to protest. We live in a country where you can protest and that's great. But turning it into the disgrace that we saw yesterday overstepped a line.

But did every student do that? No. Which was the point.

I condemn the behaviour that you describe above, but it wasn't everyone.

If there is some violence at a football game that you attended, is it fair to blame all fans who attended for the violence?

You're absolutely right, but unfortunately, as is always the way, a minority ruined it for a majority, and it's the violent, disrespectful ****s that are in the news headlines today, and unfortunately they've stained and tainted what should have been peaceful demonstrations which should have shed the students in a good light.

So Dr Who

are you implying you wnt to see the Labour party back in power through a thuggish campaign then?

Its there bleeding mess and the Banks I guess who got us in to the debt we are all in.

How many graduates went into the financial sectour 1000's I guess

am not saying this to ruffle feathers. I am a 35 nearly 36 year old married father of two who lives in Royston Town in Hertfordshire. This is what I believe, as we do tend to mess about with protests and it is about time we got some balls as a unhappy nation and changed things. You have to admit get rid of Child Benefit and now the increase in the fees for students, does cameroon not like young people

Sweeping generalisations are DD's speciality. According to him, anybody who condemned the EDL mosque demo in Pompey the other week is a 'yoghurt-knitter', whatever one of those is.

......but on this particular student issue he is right on the money.

Badger

I hope the student recovers. he should do

but reading his mothers comments, I suspect he been hit on the head a few times..............!!!!!

Mrs Matthews, 55, an English literature lecturer at Roehampton University, said her son had described being struck as "the hugest blow he ever felt in his life".

2 - I do not believe the Police response helped, and incited further trouble.

What are the police supposed to do? They got lambasted after the last student demo for not doing enough. They have got the worst job in the world imo; damned if you do, damnedif you don't.

What are the police supposed to do? They got lambasted after the last student demo for not doing enough. They have got the worst job in the world imo; damned if you do, damnedif you don't.

I completely agree and it was more an observation than a criticism. However from what I observed and some feedback from a member of the family who was up there for both protests, there were incidents that were handled poorly.

That is not a reflection on the Police as a whole, but on individual officers who find themselves having to make split second decisions on a situation unfolding infront of them. Some of them get it wrong IMO, and their reactions then incited others. We also don't know how well prepared individual officers are to be put into such a scenario. I can only imagine how scary it must be to be a Police officer in that situation.

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes. And of course, I fully accept that it was some within the protest started it all and therefore are wholly to blame for the trouble in the first place. I just feel it is a valid observation that *some* Police actions did not help.

Most of my friends go to uni. They go there to get wasted. All their favourite past times are putting peanut butter in geeks hair and pushing them in streams. All my friends that are not yet at uni want to go to get wasted. All my friends that have left uni are massively in debt and can't find a job. That's why things need to change. Everyone is facing cuts - such as the public sector - but they don't go out vandalising things. The way everyone has jumped on the bandwagon show that most of the people out there have no interest in uni fees at all - they just want to be aggressive to Police and smash a few windows. I can understand people being f*cked off with Clegg - I can't really see how the Lib Dems can rebuild after this catastrophe - but I fully expected it. Tories are a party that support the different classes of people more than most and uni is something that normally higher class, well educated people would go to. Not idiots who want to get high all the time. This is why things need to change.

I think the people outraged at the Lib Dems really need a reality check. EVERY election they can promise voters the moon and the stars, knowing they will never be in government and will never be required to act on these promises. Now they have a foot in the door with the coalition, suddenly they've got half a chance of pushing a few of their policies through. Unfortunately many of them are completely unfeasbile, like the promise not to raise tuition fees.

I went to university because my employer at the time, the BBC, wouldnt let me onto the trainee producers programme unless I had a degree. They said "go to university get a degree, doesnt matter what subject and we'll take you on then". I spent three years having a good time, getting laid, drinking and studying psychology, a subject I had an interest in but no vocational relevance for 90% of the people who take it. Good value for me but cant see how the country or the BBC gained by spending thousands so I could get a none relevant piece of paper. Tertiary education is good thing - but there are too many perverse incentives and disincentives totally out of kilter with whats good for the country and individual.

Why do people think that a factor which will allow people to advance themselves to enable them to earn more and more be free ??

I bet 90% of the students will never ever end up paying off all of the debt anyways.

How many of the bankers that got us into this financial sh*tstorm are paying back the money that they p*ssed away on bad investments? The condems are still refusing to regulate the banking industry, even though that evil little p*ick Nick Clegg promised to do so in his manifesto! Meanwhile the bankers are sitting back in their members clubs drinking their fine scottish malts and port, whilst waiting for thier fat Christmas bonus paid for by our taxes. So why should students have to pay even higher tuition fees, when their parents have paid their taxes and that money has gone to some fat cat banker to keep him and his property portfolio ticking along nicely.

Before any of say "but bankers pay taxes as well" you should find out how much tax they pay, having worked with a few whilst on business at Barclays trading house, I can tell you that they have very efficient tax vehicles which mean that they pay very little tax, in a lot of cases no more or even less than any rank and file member of the armed forces or the police.

It's their cycle of greed and Labours lack of backbone to do something about their industry that got this country into this mess, they should be doing more than their fair share to get it back out of it again.

Whilst nothing is done by this government to level the playing field, which currently allows their mates to get away with carrying on in the same fashion as before and with Cameron and Clegg continuing to tell us that we are all in this together and that the tough decisions that put more hard working decent and honest people out of work, have to be made, i'm afraid that these protests will become an every day thing and become increasingly more violent. That is what happens when people feel that they don't have a voice or aren't being listened to.

Going back to this picture:

3ytv8u5

The disrespectful **** swinging there is Charlie Gilmour, son of Pink Floyd's guitarist David Gilmour.

He surely can't be short of money with his dad part of one of the world's biggest bands at that time. David Gilmour is worth about £80m.

He said he did not realise the monument commemorated Britain's war dead. How ignorant do you have to be?!

Edited by RedAndWhite91
Don't know why the photo isn't showing, but it's the one I posted earlier on this thread of the ****** climbing the cenotaph.

I think the people outraged at the Lib Dems really need a reality check. EVERY election they can promise voters the moon and the stars, knowing they will never be in government and will never be required to act on these promises. Now they have a foot in the door with the coalition, suddenly they've got half a chance of pushing a few of their policies through. Unfortunately many of them are completely unfeasbile, like the promise not to raise tuition fees.

I agree to an extent, but it's not like the LDs are actually 'in power' as they are effectively just the Tories' lapdogs. The other alternative in this situation is that they could have all voted against the bill. The knock-on effect of that would have been the break-up of the coalition, meaning a new general election would have to be held. If that happened, A lot of people who voted Lib dem would choose not to do so again, and with Labour being lead by Miliband we would surely end up with a tory majority.

What the Lib dems have done is go against their principles in order to cling to the little amount of power they have.

Going back to this picture:

3ytv8u5

The disrespectful **** swinging there is Charlie Gilmour, son of Pink Floyd's guitarist David Gilmour.

He surely can't be short of money with his dad part of one of the world's biggest bands at that time. David Gilmour is worth about £80m.

He said he did not realise the monument commemorated Britain's war dead. How ignorant do you have to be?!

I'm not defending his actions, but you don't have to be personally affected by something to make a stand against it.

And how does trying to pull the flags from a war memorial equate to making a stand?

As I said, I wasn't defending his actions and I also happen to not agree with his method of protesting. All I was saying is that everybody has the right to protest about anything they feel strongly about, personally affected or not.

I'm not defending his actions, but you don't have to be personally affected by something to make a stand against it.

I think with that amount of wealth you are so far detached from reality that you can't be personally affected by anything, evident with his not knowing of what the cenotaph is and what it represents.

You think the comments to the scenes yesterday are hysterical?

If you bothered to read my previous comments on yesterday I think you will find that I do not. Andy's post has appeared on numerous other threads where dune and yourself have got on your high horse over something (again, not counting yesterday's events in that).

If you bothered to read my previous comments on yesterday I think you will find that I do not. Andy's post has appeared on numerous other threads where dune and yourself have got on your high horse over something (again, not counting yesterday's events in that).

sorry..I think any demo that turns into thuggery (no matter from which group) should not be tolerated....

having pictures of KIDS peeing over winston churchill, smashing up government building, assaulting police and ripping flags off of the cenotaph being beamed around the world...was quite frankly...embarrassing and sad..

if that means im getting on my "high horse" then so be it...

IMO, when protests stop being protests and turn into down right, freestyle vandalism..the police should be allowed to up the ante...but that is my opinion

sorry..I think any demo that turns into thuggery (no matter from which group) should not be tolerated....

having pictures of KIDS peeing over winston churchill, smashing up government building, assaulting police and ripping flags off of the cenotaph being beamed around the world...was quite frankly...embarrassing and sad..

if that means im getting on my "high horse" then so be it...

IMO, when protests stop being protests and turn into down right, freestyle vandalism..the police should be allowed to up the ante...but that is my opinion

I think I need a lay down. I agree with you. :uhoh: :lol:

'students', 'them', what exactly are people talking about? basically a huge and diverse group. making any comment about such a large group will be wrong. of course there are morons, lazy people, wasters, of course some protestors will get violent. some might not even be students, not care about the cause but want to get involved, others will be thick students, some might even be intelligent but violent students, I'm sure there's a mix of every kind.

but amongst them will also be future doctors, scientists, researchers, chemists etc. it amazes me that so many people have such a grudge against what it essentially education. all this generalised dislike of 'students', is it bitterness, jealousy? it certainly doesn't seem to come from happy, content people. I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on uni that's for sure. at no other point do you get that experience, that much fun, socialising, sport, girls, but also, yes, education. that's still the key part. all these myths about hardly any lectures, lazy students, well that's only true for the courses that won't get you anywhere anyway. I had about 22 hours lectures, 12 hours tutorials and about 14 hours study to do each week. So 48 hours, well beyond the working week. for my master's, it was far more than that.

the problem comes with the ridiculous notion that everyone should go to university. of course they shouldn't. if everyone has a degree then a degree isn't worth much. not everyone should even have the chance, it should be about performance and ability. the only leveller should be treating all schools equally, so getting good grades from a rough school in a dodgy area is as good as being at a private school.

As for paying for it, well you just have to make sure it's worth it. it has to be something you want to learn more about, you need to make the most of it and use it later. we ended up with too many universities, too many pointless courses and no way to pay for them. it didn't take a genius, or student, to work out where that was heading.

it's easy now to moan about students, but I'm grateful the rises didn't come in before I went, because I just wouldn't have been able to and I'd have been gutted. I'd still love to go back, solely to study more.

Adiran, I have the feeling you're wasting your time. This place, on this subject, is a sea of synaptically challenged, gimlet-eyed resentment, expressed with the kind of vengefulness that betrays a deep-seated and rather pathetic envy of students en masse.

Some of the behaviour yesterday was utterly disgraceful...and still, the great unwashed try to blame the police..

Edit - what has prince Charles got to do with any of this..

Don't get me started on the person urinating on the Churchill statue and disgracing the cenotaph...

If this is the so called future of the country then we are fukked.. Free degrees or nor

Students on the radio calling the police a disgrace for not providing food and hot drinks???

My god

Spot on !

nutshell.jpg