Driving on the right (i.e. left) side of the road

bridge too far

Watching the TV pictures from Japan, and seeing that they drive on the same side of the road as us, got me thinking.

How many other countries drive on the left?

Japan, obviously.

I guess some of the former colonies.

Malta

Where else, I wonder.

As a member with strong Maltese connections let me inform you of my many cousin's view on this.

"The Maltese drive in the shade"

I half expect ColinJB ? to support that view?

Early 1960's, you find alot of 'British' early VW Split screen campers actually started life in Sweden!

An old Brit VW Split Screen Camper Van has been turned into a mobile bar in Sukhumvit So1 7 in Bangkok It parks up outside a hotel every evening and drives home around 3am

Although there aren't many, roads that is, I believe they drive on the left in the Falkland Islands.

They do, I've driven on them (with one eye on the minefield map they give you free in Stanley)

Also drive on the left from South Africa all the way up the eastern side to the border between Kenya & Ethiopia.

The largest number of people who drive on the left are the Indians. Well that is where they are supposed to drive.

Found this bit from wiki interesting:

Safety factors

Research in 1969 by J. J. Leeming showed countries driving on the left have a lower collision rate than countries driving on the right.[29] It has been suggested this is partly because humans are more commonly right-eye dominant than left-eye dominant.[30][31][32] In left-hand traffic, the predominantly better-performing right eye is used to monitor oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror. In right-hand traffic, oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror are handled by the predominantly weaker left eye. In addition, it has been argued that left sided driving is safer for elderly people given the likelihood of their having visual attention deficits on the left side and the need at intersections to watch out for vehicles approaching on the near-side lane.[33] Furthermore, in a RHD car with manual transmission, the driver has their right (i.e. in the majority of people, dominant) hand on the steering wheel at all times and uses their left hand to change gear.

Cyclists and horse riders typically mount from the left hand side. This places them on the kerb when driving on the left.

Of the other most populous countries, apart from Indias 1155m, are Pakistan 169m, Bangladesh 162m and Indonesia 230m. So all in all, I guess about 2 billion drive on the left, give or take.

They do in Nepal. Incidentally, the Swedish switch to driving on the right led to a massive (temporary) reduction in crashes, as drivers took greater care because of their uncertainty.

And India. although no-one really follows the rules in either of these countries. Scary stuff!

And India. although no-one really follows the rules in either of these countries. Scary stuff!

I've heard that in India they have a rule called "might is right" which basically means that whichever vehicle is the bigger has the right of way. Sounds bizarre but apparently it works quite well.

Hong Kong

Which is fun as you have to change sides crossing the border from China

If you're rich enough you just have two cars, one registereded on each side of the border and get a bus between the two. My half brother owns a long-stay carpark on the HK side.

Watching the TV pictures from Japan, and seeing that they drive on the same side of the road as us, got me thinking.

How many other countries drive on the left?

Good point, I can't believe more people haven't spotted this through the scenes of devastation, "It's a tragedy, for sure, shocking footage, many people dying and huge dangers still to co...wait a minute...if you look through the houses being crushed and floating away, they seem to be driving on the...LEFT...OMG WTF".

Good point, I can't believe more people haven't spotted this through the scenes of devastation, "It's a tragedy, for sure, shocking footage, many people dying and huge dangers still to co...wait a minute...if you look through the houses being crushed and floating away, they seem to be driving on the...LEFT...OMG WTF".

Is your a**e full up yet, what with your head being up it?

As a member with strong Maltese connections let me inform you of my many cousin's view on this.

"The Maltese drive in the shade"

I half expect ColinJB ? to support that view?

Yeah, driven out there many times, they drive on the left.

:lol:

:lol:

A great deal of Asia drive on the left

Thailand, Malaysia certainly

Thailand for sure I got lost in Bangkok driving pull up to a policeman and asked him in English for direction to Pattaya and he spoke very good english head towards Bang Na