Championship fixtures released - Leeds at home first

stevegrant

Can you tell me in which games we were "torn a new one" please.

I will be brutely honest i can't name every game that i walked away from feeling that we underperformed and that we did not look a side that had the squad and resources we did.

If we were made to look very ordinary by some really poor sides there is a reason...we were poor.

I completely see your point of view,but i will not look at last season through completely rose tinted specs.

I will be brutely honest i can't name every game that i walked away from feeling that we underperformed and that we did not look a side that had the squad and resources we did.

If we were made to look very ordinary by some really poor sides there is a reason...we were poor.

I completely see your point of view,but i will not look at last season through completely rose tinted specs.

The difference is that in League One teams come to us and shut up shop. Any 11 men sat in front of a ball will be difficult to break down. This will not be the case in The Championship. We will see alot more time on the ball and will be playing teams that will come to us and give it a good go, this will make for a more open game and allow us to play.

I'm confident that were gonna more than cope in this season.

The difference is that in League One teams come to us and shut up shop. Any 11 men sat in front of a ball will be difficult to break down. This will not be the case in The Championship. We will see alot more time on the ball and will be playing teams that will come to us and give it a good go, this will make for a more open game and allow us to play.

I'm confident that were gonna more than cope in this season.

I certainly hope you are correct.

We should have more time on the ball,which inturn should allow us to "play".

Lets hope we are capable of doing so...perhaps even in the much vaunted style that Adkins professes us he wants us too.

It was vey rarely on show last season.

and neither am I. We were well beaten ONCE under Nige, once in virtually a whole season. There were times when i walked away feeling we should have done better, Notts County, Carlise, Colchester. Other times when i was angry, especially Wallsall, Tranmere away & Brentford, times when i thought we got out of jail, MK Dons D&R away to a certain extent, times when we were solid but unspectacular, Bournemouth, Sheffield Wednesday & Charlton home and times when we were bloody superb, Exeter, Oldham. The point is we won all sorts of games, games when were brilliant, games when we were just did the job that was needed and games when we just did enough to win. I am sure Manchester united will look back on their season with the same view as we have of ours. Of course we are going to need to step up a notch next season, we are going up a level but over a season you are not going to be brilliant for 90 minutes every week. Lets not forget we finished the season a ahead of a team that went over half of it unbeaten. You said we were regularly torn a new one by poor teams and you are wrong.

You said we were regularly torn a new one by poor teams and you are wrong.

The only spanking I saw us take was Huddersfield (A).

We were cr@p in a few away games, especially Tranmere but EVERY team gets tanked once in a while or fails to turn up.

At no stage were we "torn a new one" by anyone at SMS. The Brentford game, the worst I've ever seen Saints play, wasn't due to them, it was due to us.

Spot on.When we play on-the-deck there aren't many in the Championship who will stop us.

We were cr@p in a few away games, especially Tranmere but EVERY team gets tanked once in a while or fails to turn up.

At no stage were we "torn a new one" by anyone at SMS. The Brentford game, the worst I've ever seen Saints play, wasn't due to them, it was due to us.

It was the strength of our sqaud that got us through last season,not our playing style,this season we will need both in abundance.

FFS why do we only have good players? We should be playing like Barca as well, not just doing a professional job and winning comfortably!

Brentofrd at SMS

they were gifted at least 1 goal from a howler from kelvin (maybe both) and we missed good chances and hit the woodwork at least once...

at the end of the day, we got promoted they never...their manager was also sacked.

Brentofrd at SMS

they were gifted at least 1 goal from a howler from kelvin (maybe both) and we missed good chances and hit the woodwork at least once...

at the end of the day, we got promoted they never...their manager was also sacked.

Exactly. Our worst home performance wasn't "poor opposition tearing us a new one" but us playing sh*t and not taking chances.

If Birmingham win their Europa League Playoff on 18th/25th August, then the Saints vs Birmingham game on the 17th September will be moved to Sunday 18th September as the group stages start on Thursday 15th.

Hope not, can't make it then. Do they know who they've got in Europe yet?

I think I'll treat this upcoming season with caution. I was quite surprised with just how many wins we racked up towards the end of last season, and given Huddersfield went something like 28 games unbeaten you have to reason that we must have done extremely well to have beaten them to second. I don't think arguments like 'we play on the deck' are going to work. Arrogance from a style of play won't help one jot.

We've got a good squad and I always felt we had possibly one of the strongest squads if not THE strongest last season in League One, but we now require additions. Only when we've got a few more quality players in would I ever start thinking we're clear favourites in some games - looking at the fixture list I can't pick out any easy games.

Having said all that, I would place my hopes on a top half finish and perhaps an outside shot at the play-offs, which a lot of teams have at one point or another in any given Championship season. I lost count of the amount of teams that were at one point in with a shout of it last time - Leicester, Hull, Derby, the Skates, Watford and Millwall all fancied themselves for a play-off berth at times.

Looking at August's fixtures, I think at the moment I'd be happy with seven points off of Leeds, Barnsley, Ipswich, Millwall and Leicester. There are some games that for me will make or break a season - a trip to a place like Barnsley is one of them. Keith Hill is an arrogant tosser (I can safely say that having met the odious little man) but a decent manager, so that'll be a tough away game.

Certainly would be nice.

However,we will be up against a totally different class of opposition with a a much more level playing field interms of quality at our and others disposal.

Last season we had a massive advantage over many of our opposition.We should have done well.

• 2 weeks later...