Best Chinese in Southampton

Mattio

Why are there so many utterly terrible Chinese takeaways these days? Since moving to my house a few years ago I've tried many of the local take aways and, with one or two rare exceptions, most of the food that comes back has been absolutely shocking. Just gloopy, salty, tasteless muck for the most part.

I've heard Pilgrim House is good, and I'm a fan of Little Buddha. Most other Chinese takeaways I give a very wide berth.

Tangs isn't bad. They do a buffet that is apparently freshly prepared. A buffet is not something you would eat in a Chinese, as having the food standing under heat for an hour or two is totally against the principles of Chinese cuisine. Buffets in an Indian restaurant are good, as the flavours can develop further.

I agree with you, Kraken, the standard of Chnese takeaways is generally awful.

The Noodle bar in St Marys st yes St Marys st is really good, had dinner their last week.

Well priced and a decent menu and very often full of Chinese people eating there, which is a good sign.

A bit further a field is Imperial in Lyndhurst, never heard a bad word said about it, and to top it off Gary the owner is a Saints fan

Interesting how people can have different experiences!

I am over at the end of the week and usually have a Chinese at the Riverside or Kams Palace in Parkgate area. Both very good IMO, but pricey.

Pilgrim House has gone downhill. Decor is crap, service worse and food even worse.

Kachina is excellent. Great service and food.

Cant believe the nice words for little Buddha, the place stinks of grease and the food is bloody awful.

Kams Palace is apparently the best for dim sum according to a Chinese relative who knows a good restaurant when he sees one. Pilgrim House used to be good but has apparently gone downill in the last couple of years. Not sure if it's down to a change in management or chef or what.

Manadrin Chef has gone down Hill . Was good but I think there was a change of owners

The chinese down there are far better than up here. Our chinese buys most of their ingredients from lidls.

I watched them buying loads of cheap tins of chopped ham and pork I order special singapore noodles with pork.

I got tastless noodles with lots of chopped ham and pork . it was rank . A pot noodle would have had more taste

I envy you gouys in Southampton having a decent chinese restuarants down there

The Noodle bar in St Marys st yes St Marys st is really good, had dinner their last week.

Well priced and a decent menu and very often full of Chinese people eating there, which is a good sign.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186299-d1535839-Reviews-Fusion_Noodle_Bar-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

We always used to go there, but they have changed their menu having previously been quite authentic to now selling typical westernised fare you can get at almost every other takeaway.

Oriental Express in Shirley is good if you want a proper chinese or if you're brave enough, have dim sum at Kam's Palace and order duck tongue, chicken feet or rainbow ox honeycomb (stomach lining)

I think the trip advisor review could be read as written by a compettitor. I keep reading completly untrue reviws about Pilgrims. We go there, we get good all you can eat , we request more starters, extra things like muscles in black bean, extra sauces, they are polite, I have never met the searly staff or the fight on the restraunt floor!. The only "incident" in about 12 big group visits was dropping a bowl of rice and then hillariously vacuming it up into a dyson! We often make an all you can eat last from 1pm-6pm and we are not hastled.

TripAdvisor-removes-reviews-trust-sloganhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2036846/TripAdvisor-removes-reviews-trust-slogan-website.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I would also reccomend Water Margin in Baddesley.

Edited by tony13579

We always used to go there, but they have changed their menu having previously been quite authentic to now selling typical westernised fare you can get at almost every other takeaway.

Oriental Express in Shirley is good if you want a proper chinese or if you're brave enough, have dim sum at Kam's Palace and order duck tongue, chicken feet or rainbow ox honeycomb (stomach lining)

I tried Oriental Express last night and must admit it was almost perfect very clean un greasy with polite staff, Only downside was size of portion.

For takeaways I'm gonna nominate New Jade Palace in Woolston, it's my benchmark when it comes to other Chineses. I live closest to Bitterne Triangle but have never rated the ones down there so will always go a little further to Woolston. I'm not a fan of Magic Wok but do intend to give Chop Suey a try as I've heard good things.

Been too long since I've eaten out at one, not completely sure why. Will have to be done. Sadly I currently think this will most likely happen down in Southsea. Albert Road in fact.