Shock Wins

paulwantsapint

1960 FA Cup Man City (div 1) v Saints (div 3) at Maine Rd

Man City 1 Saints 5 Reeves 4 O,Brien

It just doesn't get better than that. Thousands of Saints Supporters walking together through the centre singing before and after the match. The special trains brought most of the supporters in together.

It just doesn't get better than that. Thousands of Saints Supporters walking together through the centre singing before and after the match. The special trains brought most of the supporters in together.

That's the one! The great Bert Trautman was in goal for City as well - Terry Paine got rave reviews in the papers.

Some time in the 1960s we won 4-0 at Old Trafford (or was it 4-1?) - either way, it was Ron Davies' match. Can't remember what year it was, as I was very young at the time...

And I'll always remember our 1-0 win at Anfield late in 1981 - I was sitting in a student hostel in Moscow, listening to the results on the World Service. We were a pretty decent team then, but winning at Anfield was all but unheard of.

Some time in the 1960s we won 4-0 at Old Trafford (or was it 4-1?) - either way, it was Ron Davies' match. Can't remember what year it was, as I was very young at the time...

And I'll always remember our 1-0 win at Anfield late in 1981 - I was sitting in a student hostel in Moscow, listening to the results on the World Service. We were a pretty decent team then, but winning at Anfield was all but unheard of.

1969, we won 4-1 at Old Trafford with Ron Davies scoring all four saints goals.

:) Glad to say I was there.......Not so glad to say I was there a season or two later when we gut stuffed 6-0 and the coach broke down on the way home :(

spot on, i was there! man city 1st. div - super saints 3rd. div. john sydenham ended up with the ball which fetched £300 odd at an auction for ted's statue!

we all ended up at man u's supporters club, free drinks all round, those were the days!

I would say:

Southampton 4 - Liverpool 1 - 20 Oct 89

Liverpool were still seen as one of the biggest teams in English football and our

4-2-4 formation totally obliterated them. Can't remember who scored but the team

consisted of Le Tiss, the Wallace Brothers, Paul Rideout et al.

I remember seeing that score and just feeling immense pride in the team.

A superb result on a scale the same as beating Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal nowadays.

I would say:

Liverpool were still seen as one of the biggest teams in English football and our

4-2-4 formation totally obliterated them. Can't remember who scored but the team

A superb result on a scale the same as beating Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal nowadays.

MLT crossed for Rod Wallace to score and vice versa to score two of them. Rideout got one as well.

I would say:

was that not the game where Le Tiss scored inside the first 2mins, they had Grobbelaar in goals and wore a yellow/gold strip?

i think we were 4-0 up at one point, it was a night game and snowing?

or am i thinking of another game?

Yeah it's hard to see past that one. Man City high in the top division; Saints going well in the 3rd Division, and with a reputation for attacking football. City scored first, and then Saints overwhelmed them.

Afterwards, the famous keeper Bert Trautmann** who had been in goal for Man City, came up to congratulate John Sydenham saying, what a load of rubbish I had in front of me. But according to Syddo, 3 of the goals were his fault.

**The keeper who played on despite breaking his neck in an FA Cup Final.

was that not the game where Le Tiss scored inside the first 2mins, they had Grobbelaar in goals and wore a yellow/gold strip?

Another game.

Following on from a four or 5 goal win at Loftus Rd we were as exciting a team as I ever saw.

Dodd, crossed early on for Rideout to score (he'd already smacked one off the bar from miles out) then Rod Wallace did a bit of a drag back to leave Venison chasing his own mullet before firing home. Rodders volleyed home at the far post from a Matty cross before returning the compliment for Matty to head in a forth.

I think the Scouser's goal was a Beardsley penner.

Great day against a team that were unbeaten all season until then and meant we had gone 10 unbeaten playing awsome stuff.

Went to Old trafford the next week and lost 2-1 after taking an early lead

That's another game. A very good one though.

EDIT: You can see that one here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0StQKf5NRp4

Sorry about the sound quality.

Edited by St Landrew

Every win is unexpected for Saints fans. That's what is so great about this club. I'd like to think that I celebrated our wins against the likes of Preston and Doncaster this season, more than the average Man Utd or Chelsea fan would celebrate winning the Premiership! I'd like to see what I'm like if we ever do win some silverware again in my lifetime!

I can't think of anything more boring than going into every game we ever player EXPECTING to win it.

Cheers for that. Happy memories of being at that game.

Mickey Adams a very underated player for Saints.

Kenna's bizarre header back into box to set up their late equalizer.

We didn't even need Le Tiss to take 5th pen.

****y young Giggs juggling ball before his pen was saved.

Still remember moaning Manure fans on way out/home complaining about pens etc and me turning round to one of them saying they were still moaning about Stokes goal being offside in 76 :-)

I ran all the way back to local in Hulme in Manchester to make last orders just to take the ****.

I think the comeback v liverpool in the last season at the Dell to make it 3-3, as a comeback that was special.

Think most unlikely results should come away from home as our home form, back then, was always amazing.

any victory away during the 70's, 80's and 90's was unexpected

Are you suggesting that all wins in the 2000's aren't unexpected too? :o

Norwich 4 Saints 5 (The start of one of the greatest escapes).

Listened to the result on a crackling short wave radio. I had no idea what the score was that day, and I heard "Norwich 4..." and my Saints supporting life flashed before my eyes. Visions of Saints definitely doomed and financial ruin (err, a bit like today). And then after what seemed an eternity "... Southampton 5". Cue dizziness and total disbelief.

Norwich 4 Saints 5 (The start of one of the greatest escapes).

Listened to the result on a crackling short wave radio. I had no idea what the score was that day, and I heard "Norwich 4..." and my Saints supporting life flashed before my eyes. Visions of Saints definitely doomed and financial ruin (err, a bit like today). And then after what seemed an eternity "... Southampton 5". Cue dizziness and total disbelief.

has anyone got a video on youtube or anywhere on the internet of this game as i still to this day have never seen it, decpite being at the game

Yep - 14 Feb 94 - Saints 4 Liverpool 2, first game that I took my sons to watch - bloody freezing, but great, great night. I think Craig Maskell scored on his debut, ohhh and a certain MLT scored a hatrick too...!! ;)

Edited by Micky

Easy ..... 1976 ...... Man Ure 0, Southampton 1=D>

yes, but the point was that it wasn't a shock to the fans on the day, we all KNEW we'd win, it was the outside world that believed we'd be mashed.

For example Derby away this season was a shock. No way did many of us expect to get a result up there.

Beating Marseilles at home in '76 what was it 3-1 or 4-1? now that was a shock result...

I would say:

Did anyone hear the rumour that Saints players; Ruddock, Le Tissier and Wallace all had McDonalds as their pre-game meal? I hope it's true!