Fabrice Muamba

Crab Lungs

now this i totally agree with.

also, the little girl who died at school by a rugby ball...I would like to know if schooling was postponed...much like some of the talk about boltons games..

But what point is there in comparing these things? As I said above, different events mean different things to different people. Every situation is unique. Any death is tragic, and will need to be investigated to find out how and why it happened, and any collapse, like Muamba's must also be treated seriously and investigated etc, etc.

If you don't agree with what has occurred surrounding Muamba, that's fine. If it was down to you, you would've done things differently. Great. But if Bolton choose to postpone their game, and have agreement of those affected, that is up to them. I actually agree with your underlying sentiment to some extent, but fully respect their decision to do so if they want to because i'm not directly involved. To criticise them for any action is rather crass IMO, and attempts to compare one occurrence with another are a bit perverse IMO.

I think the whole thing is that people pay money to cheer their team on and watch players get stuck in, but you never expect to see a death or near death when you go to an entertainment event. I can't see highlighting cardiac problems in young people being any kind of negative at all.

Also the servicemen is very sad, but people are generally let hit by it because these people go to fight wars and deaths in wars are a regrettable part of what you sign up for. Also I dont think its fair to suggest that postponing in one case means there should be universality, as humans we all respond very differently in these situations. Some people react by wanting to get on with things asap whilst other want time to reflect on it, no one should be criticised for how they deal in difficult circumstances as long as it isn't dangerous.

I see loads of players premiership and West ham were wearing pray for Muamba T shirts at games yesterday. Did we do the same at Hull.?

I see there is a large tribute of shirts, Scarves etc at Bolton stadium. What is that really about , the guy is well on the mend

I can understand it if he died.

I see a 16 year old lad just collapsed and died playing rugby for his in kidderminster yesterday. I feel very sorry for the school and his family

maybe some of the footballers will show their respect to this young lad. Sadly I fear not

I see loads of players premiership and West ham were wearing pray for Muamba T shirts at games yesterday. Did we do the same at Hull.?

I see there is a large tribute of shirts, Scarves etc at Bolton stadium. What is that really about , the guy is well on the mend

I see a 16 year old lad just collapsed and died playing rugby for his in kidderminster yesterday. I feel very sorry for the school and his family

maybe some of the footballers will show their respect to this young lad. Sadly I fear not

There was a minutes applause before the West Ham game last night apparently. If that happens at St Marys on Saturday I will refuse to join in. He's not even dead, it's just ridiculous.

now this i totally agree with.

also, the little girl who died at school by a rugby ball...I would like to know if schooling was postponed...much like some of the talk about boltons games..

And it looks like Muamba will pull through relatively unscathed - it seems people want to maximise how tragic it all is and be more upset than anyone else. Reminds me of the mawkish outpouring of grief after princess diana died. I refuse to believe that anyone who is not a friend or relative of Muamba can be genuinely upset by it.

I wonder if we'll see newspaper and news headlines about this young lad all week long?

Of course we won't. Just another example of the shallowness and fickleness of this all. How long before all these well wishers are saying "Muamba who?".

Couldn't stomach watching SSN yesterday. They can't go more than 10 minutes without mentioning it, trying to tenuously link the incident to things which are of no relevance. I know many people are sincere with there wishes but the media absolutely LOVE incidents like these, no matter how much they try and dress it up as a public concern. The social media era only enables them squeeze every drop out of it for that bit longer.

This thread will soon go, until next time then when you're all told what and who to care about.

A further report...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17469449

Having experienced this personally with my Dad who at the time was in his late 60s and had just had open heart surgery it makes me realise what a miracle it is that he's still with us. He also benefitted from the lucky coincidence that the person nearest to him when he collapsed was a medical professional - a senior casualty resus nurse who'd knocked off her shift early and was doing her shopping...

I'm absolutely not religious but it's events like these that are basically inexplicable. It's the medics who should be paid the football salaries, not the players

I never know how to feel about these things. It's great that people pull together and show they care, I'm sure 99% of messages are purely because they're thinking of him, hoping he gets better etc. And I get it's different to it happening to a stranger, as we're familiar with our sports stars, supporters feel close to them, you don't expect it to happen to them, it brings home mortality, pure luck and so on.

But at the same time, it is just one person. You can find bad news any day around the world. As people have said, tragically young people die from cardiac events every day, but don't get such reaction. I suppose if this can highlight the problem and do some good then it's positive. How we deal with news seems odd to me. Right away there was a BBC article on whether sports stars are more at risk. The answer is no, there's no article there. The stats rule out any chance of a pattern. It happens in football every once in a while, yet happens in wider society most days. Plus, sports stars are more likely to survive due to the excellent medical staff on stand by.

News is news because it's rare. Lots of people read a few news stories and think it means a trend, a worsening crime rate, more murders and so on. They don't actually research the real statistics, don't seem to have any real perspective, just an overall willingness to generalise bad news. I just don't know how to accurately dish out my sympathy. I'm truly sorry for any tragedy, I feel sympathy for any tragic death or illness or accident. But obviously there isn't time in the world to sit and think of each one. I can almost accept accidents. However tragic, accidents will always happen. So I feel worse about the tens of thousands dying each day due to lack of food, shelter etc. Yet there is more reaction if children die in an accident. Yet more reaction if a single British child dies or goes missing. I don't think it's racist, just perhaps some tragedies are too much to comprehend and deal with.

As for the 'praying', this does bother me. I accept it's usually just an interchangeable word for 'thinking of' or 'hoping' and that's fine. But if you are religious and believe praying can work, then you have to accept some god that allows all these things to happen, and doesn't bother to answer 99% of prayers. He answers the tiny portion that statistics would suggest likely anyway. I'd feel guilty praying for one person when there are so many bigger tragedies. Not taking anything away from this case, but surely no-one bar the immediate family and friends (understandably) would suggest one life is more important than 2, 3, 4 or even thousands. My biggest problem with the 'praying for' rhetoric though, is it taking credit away from the medical staff. He isn't 'in god's hands', he's been in the hands of clearly excellent medical staff who reacted quickly and remained calm in a very difficult situation. People who train for years and years and excel to save lives. I've no idea how they do it but credit to them.

I'm not doubting anyone's good intentions with their wishes, it's refreshing to see people uniting and being positive. Anyway, truly hope he gets better soon and manages to play again.

Agree completely. Well put. Almost reached for the sick bucket when David Davies said the affair proved the power of prayer. It did not. It proved the efficacy of prompt and good medical treatment. People will do anything to avoid praising medical people, including the NHS. And those minute applause sessions are ludicrous.

I hope that now he appears to be making a recovery of sorts I can ask this.

Does anyone remember a Premier League player in the last couple of months leaving the pitch due to a racing heart rate? I'm sure I saw the game and the commentator said that the player had a condition that was monitored by the bench and his heart rate had given them cause for concern so he was substituted.

Anyone, or is my mind playing tricks with me?

I hope that now he appears to be making a recovery of sorts I can ask this.

Does anyone remember a Premier League player in the last couple of months leaving the pitch due to a racing heart rate? I'm sure I saw the game and the commentator said that the player had a condition that was monitored by the bench and his heart rate had given them cause for concern so he was substituted.

Anyone, or is my mind playing tricks with me?

Givet of Blackburn I believe

Good luck for a full recovery Patrice MUAMBA....

Remembering him at our place...

UEFA U21 2009 Qualifier....at St Mary's Tuesday 5 February V Republic of Ireland ( Stephen O'Halloran played and was on loan with us at the time...)

Amongst the subs Surman, O'Hara , Jerome, Adam Johnson...always on the bench...

Team

Hart

Gardner

Mattock

Noble

Taylor

Wheater

Milner

Huddlestone

Lennon

Muamba

Walcott

Mention it passing ..

I think Muamba played no 10 on the night....

Edited by ottery st mary

god, coyle going on and on about how everyones prayers from around the world have been answered. and how he is going to speak to the blackburn and players to see if they are actually up for playing this game still

Now it is ridiculous. He has recovered and said he wants them to play.

god, coyle going on and on about how everyones prayers from around the world have been answered. and how he is going to speak to the blackburn and players to see if they are actually up for playing this game still

I love the way you started that sentence Thedelldays. Ironic?

I think that anyone who believes in (a) God would believe that Muamba survived and is hopefully recovering as a result of their God's benevolence. Why does that surprise you?

Coyle is very religious. I remember him being interviewed when he was under a great deal of pressure and not winning any games. He was asked how he coped and he said that prayer and his belief were very important to him.

I'd ask you also to consider that just because he tells his players they don't have to play doesn't mean that he expects them not to. There is probably some psychology in there - he is telling them that it is OK to be upset by what they saw. Great management in my book.

I wouldn't criticise any player that found it difficult to give his all following the traumatic scenes they witnessed on the night as well as the two days afterwards when they assumed, as we all surely did, that they had witnessed their mate effectively die on the pitch at White Heart Lane.

Just as I don't criticise servicemen and women who find they cannot return to battle zones due to stress-related conditions - even though they are supposedly trained to deal with situations that would be beyond us civvy-streeters. At the same time service personnel that saw the same things take it in their stride.

I'm not equating football with fighting wars and neither am I equating Muamba's situation with the scenes of hell our service personnel regularly witness. That would be utterly ridiculous. I am saying that we all handle situations differently. Some of us are deep thinkers. Some of us aren't. I think Coyle understands that too.

Big difference (having served for 6 years) between the terrible losses in wars and a footballer. Servicemen and women are trianed to fight (and die) for their country. THis guy collapsed on the pitch and everyone could see what was going on. Add in, he seems like a genuinely fantastic individual and you have a story that people are interested in.

Shame on all of you moaning about this.......

Big difference (having served for 6 years) between the terrible losses in wars and a footballer. Servicemen and women are trianed to fight (and die) for their country. THis guy collapsed on the pitch and everyone could see what was going on. Add in, he seems like a genuinely fantastic individual and you have a story that people are interested in.

Well said that man. Whatever anyone's belief a man has miraculously survived a traumatic experience. Who really cares how the people closest to him rationalise it?! Think coyle has handled it brilliantly and should be praised as should everyone else involved. Sure this event carries with it more press coverage but it happened on live tv whilst millions watched. To be expected.

The moaning on here is at best unnecessary and at worst completely disrespectful to all those who had far greater a connection and relationship with the guy than anyone on here.

Quite so. But you have to make allowances for the usual suspects on here, who find what happened to Muamba, and the public responses to him, challenging to their own sense of masculinity. I've tried giving the hypo-turkish-delldays keyboard firm some advice for their self-esteem issues before, without much effect, so here's one last try:

They should take themselves off to a day spa, get a cucumber and lemon-oil scrub, a deep-cleansing facial peel, scented-oil full-body massage, and a perfumed colonic irrigation. THEN, with their masculinity and self-esteem issues unravelled, they can come back on here and comment on Muamba's progress.

I hope they take this in the generous spirit that's intended.

I also hope Muamba makes a full and quick recovery, and that we see him in the Prem again. Not sure that we will, but as the last few days have shown, anything is possible.

It's good that these people can speak their mind. Makes it clear exactly who to avoid. Shame they still have voting rights. Got to wonder how someone ends up like that. It's not just ignorance.

Reading his twitter feed he has to be a "poe" right? An extremist parody surely? He can't possibly be real.

I love the way you started that sentence Thedelldays. Ironic?

I think that anyone who believes in (a) God would believe that Muamba survived and is hopefully recovering as a result of their God's benevolence. Why does that surprise you?

Coyle is very religious. I remember him being interviewed when he was under a great deal of pressure and not winning any games. He was asked how he coped and he said that prayer and his belief were very important to him.

I can't take anyone's religion seriously if they use "prayer" to cope with not winning some games of football.

I'm confused some of medical friends state there must have been some cardiac activity present . There is no way he would have been dead for 78 minutes unles his body temp was that cold . Mumbai is a very very lucky man whether he was a footballer or not

The cardiologist was interesting on this, suggesting that the fact that a very fit man was pushing the physical limits meant that he was in a kind of liminal state, with a physiology able to run on empty for much longer than would be possible normally. The drugs he was administered in the ambulance helped sustain this. And the hospital also cooled his core body temperature as soon as he arrived in ITU.

I once met the head of trauma surgery at LA County Hospital, who pioneered this kind of approach, and had an amazing track record for saving lives beyond what many thought was possible. He was fascinating on how the American medics in the Vietnam War unintentionally but routinely killed their patients by intubating fluids and warming the bodies. The Falklands War was, he thought, something of a turning point, because soldiers with appalling injuries were surviving in much higher numbers - because of the cold.

I don't pretend to understand the physiology of all this, and I do wonder whether there is any lasting brain or other damage as a result of the 78 minutes. It's part of what makes Muamba's case publicly fascinating.

I can't take anyone's religion seriously if they use "prayer" to cope with not winning some games of football.

I do know what you mean Sour Mash.

I don't have any specific 'faith', so I can't really personally relate to someone turning to religion for anything.

But I can see how someone might get some relief from the pressure of their job through a recognition that there is something more important than football.

Is there a religion that you do take seriously then?

I'm confused some of medical friends state there must have been some cardiac activity present . There is no way he would have been dead for 78 minutes unles his body temp was that cold . Mumbai is a very very lucky man whether he was a footballer or not

Thats what CPR is designed to do - stop brain and tissue damage until they can be revived - but its not normally as effective as a proper heart beat and drawing breaths. The guys who did the CPR on Muamba must have been top notch. Normally if someone had been 'dead' for that long they would be unrevivable. One very lucky guy.

Buctoom I have lots of resus and CPR in my time and defib most of the casualties never survived and that despite carrying it out for the best part of an hour . You carry it out till theft certifies the individual is dead . I subscribe to cooling the body temp. All I can say re Mumba is not knowing the real medical facts only the media sensationalist stories to go on . He has been a very lucky man

Thats what CPR is designed to do - stop brain and tissue damage until they can be revived - but its not normally as effective as a proper heart beat and drawing breaths. The guys who did the CPR on Muamba must have been top notch. Normally if someone had been 'dead' for that long they would be unrevivable. One very lucky guy.

The main difference between Muambas collapse & the normal man in the street is the quality of CPR he received, not only was it done efficiently, but it would have included 100% oxygen therapy, being manually pumped in by bag & mask. This, crucially, was available immediately. The oxygen content of mouth-to-mouth is very low (can't remember exactly, but think it's about 1-2%). The 100% oxygen was being forced around his organs by very good cardiac massage. If you're going to have a MI the best place to do it is 20yds from a group of fully equiped medics.

FFS, are we to be condemned to an endless round of applause for people who are still alive? Obviously we all hope that Petrov and Muamba recover from their respective illnesses but all this false outpouring of grief is really starting to p*ss me off. Truth be told most of the people who are doing the clapping are just going through the motions and their thoughts are solely on the match about to be played. Silences and applause should be reserved for people who have actually expired and should be carried out by the clubs involved. Wider acclaim should be reserved for people who have actually done something remarkable during their lives. Let's get a grip FFS.

FFS, are we to be condemned to an endless round of applause for people who are still alive? Obviously we all hope that Petrov and Muamba recover from their respective illnesses but all this false outpouring of grief is really starting to p*ss me off. Truth be told most of the people who are doing the clapping are just going through the motions and their thoughts are solely on the match about to be played. Silences and applause should be reserved for people who have actually expired and should be carried out by the clubs involved. Wider acclaim should be reserved for people who have actually done something remarkable during their lives. Let's get a grip FFS.

Young lad died of a heart attack playing football in our region yesterday, bet his family don't get overwhelmed with sympathy messages from all the Tv stations and National Newpapers.Brits always go totally over the top about this sort of thing.