Fabrice Muamba

Crab Lungs

I'm not on twitter. It was reported on the bbc news sites and numerous outlets. I'm not aggrieved by it, I just don't see why every footballer with a twitter account feels obligated to express their public sympathies.

Its not just footballers either but here are some more that will be of interest:

Paul Hayward ‏ @_PaulHayward

If Fabrice Muamba comes through how about donating all proceeds from the rest of the FA Cup to NHS units in honour of the country's medics.

Donate FA Cup proceeds either way, of course (Fabrice Muamba). The NHS needs/deserves all the support it can get.

Lots of people pointing out on here it would help public services if all clubs paid their tax.

Saturdays event has had a positive impact as well - highlighted how great our doctors and medics are...also

I saw high praise today for the way Howard Webb conducted himself .

Its not just footballers either but here are some more that will be of interest:

If Fabrice Muamba comes through how about donating all proceeds from the rest of the FA Cup to NHS units in honour of the country's medics.

Donate FA Cup proceeds either way, of course (Fabrice Muamba). The NHS needs/deserves all the support it can get.

Lots of people pointing out on here it would help public services if all clubs paid their tax.

Saturdays event has had a positive impact as well - highlighted how great our doctors and medics are...also

Yep and nothing wrong with that at all. What bothers me is the public displays from public figures like footballers. Certainly highlighting the good job that the medics do is a positive thing.

why are you so aggressive...?

this is the problem..unless you don't pour out your emotions you get responses like this

as for acting the hardened male...I had to handle a mate who was blown to bits.....so I like to think I can talk from this sort of perspective.......nothing to do with ego trips...the lad is on the mend, he never died...more tragic things happen every day..I was just asking a question..no doubt, other were thinking it

Anyone who watches that Video clip or read the reports as it happened that did not feel an upsurge of emotion and hope that he would pull through probably needs Special care.

Anyone who did not give a thought or a prayer, well, I cannot think of a polite description of them, other than perhaps they have not spoken to anyone outside of their keyboard for the past 48 hours. It is a story that has touched everyone, everywhere.

The outpouring of support on Twitter in the few hours after the event was deeply moving and incredibly sincere.

My best pal, A Bolton fan living in Switzerland was absolutely devasted by it, as was the entire Pub he was in. The regulars in the Pub have all been calling HIM and asking if he was OK.

And yes, IF he had a chance then he said he would get back to the Reebok this week, either to lay a memorial OR to give a Prayer that "A Miracle" occured and he will recover.

I suppose some on here would knock the Liverpool fans who laid tributes at Anfield when Shankly passed away, or laid wreaths and demanded a Statue when Ted passed away...

BUT.

Having said that. SOME people DO now appear to be coming to the "outpouring" a little bit late in the day. I got a sense today that some players may have been given a kick by their managers or agents because they HADN'T "put something on Twitter yesterday", or "made sure they were filmed" going in to the Hospital. Not all, just some.

That really leaves me feeling very uneasy.

But I do think you & Hypo put your case a little wrongly guys

I'm not on twitter. It was reported on the bbc news sites and numerous outlets. I'm not aggrieved by it, I just don't see why every footballer with a twitter account feels obligated to express their public sympathies.

You're making the assumption that every footballer 'feels obligated'. How do you know this, how do you know that the best wishes, sent publicly, were not done under any obligation, but were indeed heartfelt messages of support?

You're making the assumption that every footballer 'feels obligated'. How do you know this, how do you know that the best wishes, sent publicly, were not done under any obligation, but were indeed heartfelt messages of support?

I don't see why it has to be done through twitter that is all. Personally I think it comes across as insincere when people have public displays like that. People are entitled to do what they want but as I said, it annoys me when people put public messages about my friend on his Facebook account a year after his death. At the time, I contacted his sister an was extremely upset, I didn't need to tell everyone else about it through Facebook and I still don't need to now.

Now all that I do agree with.

I don't see why it has to be done through twitter that is all. Personally I think it comes across as insincere when people have public displays like that. People are entitled to do what they want but as I said, it annoys me when people put public messages about my friend on his Facebook account a year after his death. At the time, I contacted his sister an was extremely upset, I didn't need to tell everyone else about it through Facebook and I still don't need to now.

Clearly you have not bothered to read this

Shauna Muamba@ShaunaMuambaAll your prayers are working people thank u so so much. Every prayer makes him stronger. To God be the glory.

It was on Twitter. 2 hours go. It is helping the family.

Leave it out now, OK?

Quote specific attention seekers fine.

It'd help if all players did as well rather than employing (perfectly legal) tax avoidance schemes (i.e. setting up companies in between them and their club, getting paid in image rights) to protect that little bit more of their £25k+ a week.

Oh and in the "coming late" class I include the Tweet from Sepp Blatter today.

But Hypo - look again at the TIMES that many of those reported Tweets were posted, MANY were as the events were unfolding (inc many by our lads). Those were sincere

I don't think all tweets were insincere and apologies if it sounded like I said that. My main problem is with how public people make things these days.

I accept that you personally may not favour support posted in the public media - I respect that as a personal choice. However, in this day and age it is the easiest and most immediate way of showing support, whereas trying to send a personal message (be it phone call, text, letter or email) is likely to be acknowledge quite a long time after the event. I'm sure that the family are drawing much comfort knowing the level of support that Fabrice has.

Aside from that, as I said, I respect your opinion. I think that the purpose the thread was to be able to send messages of support to Fabrice, and it has now derailed somewhat into a 'should we / should we not' debate and therefore I shall desist from posting further comment other than to wish Fabrice well.

Clearly you have not bothered to read this

It was on Twitter. 2 hours go. It is helping the family.

Leave it out now, OK?

Quote specific attention seekers fine.

No I won't leave out having an opinion Phil, it isn't just this specific instance anyway and where did that tweet make reference to public reactions on twitter? If she really believes that prayer is helping than it is still possible to pray for the player and wish him the best without publicising it all over social networking sites.

Can't really believe that a procession of footballers are allowed to visit a patient that is in intensive care, I thought visiting was for close relatives only in this situation. Sounds good news coming out though but surely he will need a period of quietness and recovery rather than a load of his mates around him. The lad is lucky to be with us and I personally don't like anyone seeng me at a low ebb.

I accept that you personally may not favour support posted in the public media - I respect that as a personal choice. However, in this day and age it is the easiest and most immediate way of showing support, whereas trying to send a personal message (be it phone call, text, letter or email) is likely to be acknowledge quite a long time after the event. I'm sure that the family are drawing much comfort knowing the level of support that Fabrice has.

Aside from that, as I said, I respect your opinion. I think that the purpose the thread was to be able to send messages of support to Fabrice, and it has now derailed somewhat into a 'should we / should we not' debate and therefore I shall desist from posting further comment other than to wish Fabrice well.

But that's the thing I don't get. How does posting a tweet or writing on a message board actually support anyone?

Anyone who watches that Video clip or read the reports as it happened that did not feel an upsurge of emotion and hope that he would pull through probably needs Special care.

Anyone who did not give a thought or a prayer, well, I cannot think of a polite description of them, other than perhaps they have not spoken to anyone outside of their keyboard for the past 48 hours. It is a story that has touched everyone, everywhere.

The outpouring of support on Twitter in the few hours after the event was deeply moving and incredibly sincere.

My best pal, A Bolton fan living in Switzerland was absolutely devasted by it, as was the entire Pub he was in. The regulars in the Pub have all been calling HIM and asking if he was OK.

And yes, IF he had a chance then he said he would get back to the Reebok this week, either to lay a memorial OR to give a Prayer that "A Miracle" occured and he will recover.

I suppose some on here would knock the Liverpool fans who laid tributes at Anfield when Shankly passed away, or laid wreaths and demanded a Statue when Ted passed away...

BUT.

Having said that. SOME people DO now appear to be coming to the "outpouring" a little bit late in the day. I got a sense today that some players may have been given a kick by their managers or agents because they HADN'T "put something on Twitter yesterday", or "made sure they were filmed" going in to the Hospital. Not all, just some.

That really leaves me feeling very uneasy.

But I do think you & Hypo put your case a little wrongly guys

Will you give a thought or prayer to the 12 young men who die evey week from sudden cardiac arrest? Men who din't have the attention of paramedics immediately or an ambulance on stand by?

Impressed by Kevin Davies' role in this as club captain, comes across as a sensible normal bloke speaking from the heart very eloquently in the BBC interview. Can't be easy for him, but he's doing his job looking after his teammates.

It has only been 52 hours since it happened, it will die down. Sounds like he is making good progress, and he was very lucky to get such good care at the scene. Probably in the best place for instant help.
Was thinking about this today and discussed how lucky he was for it to have happened in this era. When I first started going to the Dell and for many years after, all we had was the amateurs of the St John Ambulance (no offence) with their wood and canvas stretchers. He wouldn't have stood a chance back then.

Whilst what happened was really bad, and I hope he makes a full recovery, but I do feel that some of the reactions by people seems over the top. It seems as though people must react and be seen to do 'the right thing'.

Minutes applauses, shrines outside the ground to me appear to be over the top. What would be possible to do if, God help it doesn't happen, that he doesn't pull through. How many games can be postponed etc. When does life carry on. Not trying to be unfeeling etc. but he is still alive, and full thanks for that. But if I remember rightly SFC didn't even have a proper recognition of the 2 fireman who tragically lost their lifes in the fire in Shirley.

I can't believe no matter what the tragedy, petty people find fault & a window of opportunity to moan or criticise about something, detracting from the general sentiment of goodwill.

I for one am glad Fabrice is showing signs of recovery & I honestly couldn't give a flying f**k how much tax people pay. Yes, thoughts are held for all cardiac patients, ALL patients in general & those like my Dad who was ambulanced to hospital Saturday (suffering a long term illness). However, the intimation & slur that sharing sympathy over a very public & evocative sporting tragedy is somehow overlooking the thousands out of the public eye is nothing short of ridiculous. Get over yourself!

I certainly think all the carry on is an over reaction jumpy bandwagon thing. It is really sad and shocking what has happened (made the worse for the live TV cameras and packed stadium) but I don't recall all PL players wearing t-shirts, a minute's applause at all PL games, games postponed etc. when Petr Cech nearly died with his head injury.

Don't get me wrong it is sad, what ever way you look at it, and I wish him all the best and speedy recovery but there are thousands of people dying every day, people who have done amazing things and touched so so many people in many ways yet goes unreported or done in a way that doesn't whip up a frenzy.

Here's is an example - Jim Stynes passed away this morning. He was a champion Aussie Rules footballer and if you look into his life he has done some amazing things for charities and Aussie Rules. A very sad day for Australian sport. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-20/jim-stynes-tributes/3900220

What comes across is that he is a really good young man,who is using every opportunity to better himself after a pretty bad start in life,and continues to learn and get qualifications for later life. He has a faith that sustains him and his family. and a better role model in this greedy, abusive game that we all love so much would be hard to find, if knowing he has love and support in whatever form this crazy world now delivers feelings then so be it, Get well soon young man.

I understand, and to a certain extent agree with the basic point that you and Thedelldays are making, but I think you should consider the impact that internet-driven social networks are having on our communication.

Imagine the conversation were in a pub and everyone around the table was talking about Muamba and wishing him well but two people around the table were sitting their with their arms folded and not joining in the conversation. If we were part of that discussion we might conclude that the two non-participants didn't much care whether Muamba pulled through or not. The social pressure on them to declare their thoughts would increase. Eventually they would probably feel compelled to state their view.

And so it is with twitter. If we haven't contributed our thoughts on some meme or other but the people we follow have, then we fear that it looks like we don't have an opinion on the matter or worse still, we don't care. The RT on twitter is the 'yep, I agree' of the pub conversation. There is a desire within us all to ensure our views are heard even though we're adding little to the views that have already been expressed.

It's why I commented on this thread.

And, if you'll allow me to say so, it's why you posted your opinion on the Internet even though Thedelldays had already made and defended the major point of his argument.

Not being critical at all - if people didn't comment in this way, we wouldn't have much of a forum. I'm just offering an interpretation of what from a distance, looks like Twitterers jumping on some maudlin bandwagon.

Was thinking about this today and discussed how lucky he was for it to have happened in this era. When I first started going to the Dell and for many years after, all we had was the amateurs of the St John Ambulance (no offence) with their wood and canvas stretchers. He wouldn't have stood a chance back then.

I'm pretty sure most of the medics at St Marys are St John Ambulance volunteers, supplemented by 2-4 professionals. What has changed is the training of the volunteers and the equipment available to them. It takes minimal training to use AE de-fibs & oxygen therapy, although I think when the medic trolley wheels past me at each home game they have a manual de-fib (as used in ambulances) on them.

I wonder if a small part of the reaction is because it's been a good opportunity for 'the football family' (whatever that is) to show the better side of its nature. There's been a lot of nasty stuff recently with racism and I think this horrible situation has allowed the focus to be on footballs' cameraderie rather than it's pettyness.

I think its a good thing btw (fwiw).

But that's the thing I don't get. How does posting a tweet or writing on a message board actually support anyone?

This answers your question I think - the fact that they can visually see people - and accept maybe not all for the right reasons-

have taken time to show they care and it gives them comfort.

Shauna Muamba ‏ @ShaunaMuambaAll your prayers are working people thank u so so much. Every prayer makes him stronger. To God be the glory.

Will you give a thought or prayer to the 12 young men who die evey week from sudden cardiac arrest? Men who din't have the attention of paramedics immediately or an ambulance on stand by?

With all respect do those 12 young men collapse in front of millions of people?

Muamba was lucky he was actually very close to one of the best hospitals.

I am also giving my prayers for the 6 young lads killed in Afghanistan and their families today but thats just the way I am if that offends ....

Of course I wish him well and a speedy recovery but the continued outpouring of emotions (in my opinion) is now over the top. Some are clearly because they think they have to rather than because they want to. A Minutes applause before matches is not necessary. He is alive !!! - thanks to great work by medical professionals.

Perhaps since Diana died we have become a nation more prepared to show our our emotions but please kep it real.

Good luck PM !!

With all respect do those 12 young men collapse in front of millions of people?

Muamba was lucky he was actually very close to one of the best hospitals.

I am also giving my prayers for the 6 young lads killed in Afghanistan and their families today but thats just the way I am if that offends ....

Who said I was offended? I took offence to someone passing judgement on others for how they think they should react to this incident which is a little hypocritical in my book unless you're willing to spare a thought consistently to others who suffer the same plight. If not then all you are doing is jumping on media driven bandwagon who eventually make the coverage of incidents like these somewhat grotesque.

Im glad he is now breathnig with out the aid on a ventalator . but that is standard practice in these cases. but withut knowing exacly what is wrong with hm , it is also wrong to speculate on his medical condition. I can not grasp the media comments that it took two hours for them to re start his heart. Somethjing is not quite right in their comments

I think there is an awful lot of over reaction on what has happened to this player. Even commentators on channel 4 news are calling for screening of all children before they take part in sports games at school. But isnt this a little over the top

Someone with normal heart defects will be picked up early on in their life

Folk with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy can be some of the fittest people around and suddenly bang they are not about. Muamba has been very lucky. others havent been

Its very hard work trying to rescusitate someone like that, Well done to the medics on saturday god was on your side that night. Many more do not survive, I have first hand knowledge of trying to resucitate for best part of an hour on a lass who I did a marathon and went running with . she was a nurse in the Army. She was really fit . It was only afterwards I found out her family had a history of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. She could equallyhave died watching coronation street.

its not ok to publicly express your opinion via twitter but its ok to spout about it on an internet forum - go figure! That said i also cant stand certain things on facebook etc when couples talk to each other about how amazing they are publicly - i find it crass but each to their own i guess. I really hate facebook status' which tempt people to reply. feel better know

How many people do they need to collapse in front of to 'be in your prayers'?

You do seem to be a very angry young man who doesn't agree with much in life ...

do you want me to say a prayer for you as well and will do so willingly as you seem to need it.

Edited by Give it to Ron
not much point

It is neither 'right' nor 'wrong' but simply a fact that the greater exposure any event gets, the greater the volume of responses to it. Muamba collapsed during a live Premiership match, watched by millions of people, so it will naturally attract a lot of comment and reaction. There are, sadly, many many deaths and injuries and similar occurrances around the world on a daily basis. We all know this, we read about some of it, we witness some of it, but we carry on our lives around it. Every similar occurrence probably deserves the same acknowledgement, and any individuals involved deserve the same attention but it doesn't happen that way, unless the media, or increasingly social media, promote it and make people aware of it.

Footballers and fellow sportsmen will naturally relate to the situation more than most, and be more likely to comment. Some because they know Muamba well and consider him a friend who they naturally want to recover. Most if not all others will be thinking 'that could've been me'... the human in you relates to the situation and the fact that 'there but for the grace of God' ...

We all relate more to things that we have a connection with to. Of those same daily events mentioned above, some will affect us more than others depending on circumstances. Those of us with family members with certain conditions will follow stories about others with the same condition more. We sometimes watch tv programs about specific things that really get to us, because we relate to the person who is a similar age to us, or who does the same job etc... links are made and a relationship is formed, however tenuous. I should've been on a tube heading to Liverpool Street station at 0850 on 7/7 when the London bombings happened. My meeting was cancelled, and it still freaks me out to this day what might have been. Others have forgotten about the events of that day and don't give it much thought.

But the bottom line is it is not down to anyone else to tell me, or you, how to feel about such situations or conditions or events. I fully respect anyone who doesn't have the same strength of feeling as me about something, but I would hope they would respect my feelings if it does affect me.

The 'football family' has been shocked my Muamba's collapse for a variety of reasons. I actually agree with Hypo to some extent, that IMO some of the reaction is more than I would've expected, but it is not my place to tell people that, so I read the stories and watch the news that I want to watch, and then turn it off when I've seen enough, and leave others to it out of respect for their feelings.

The presence of social media and places like this forum make it a lot easier to express messages and feelings. If it were around in previous years, it would've been used by our ancestors, but it wasn't. Awareness of events may have been less, but the emotions and feelings would've been no less significant for people when they knew about them, and whilst discussion wouldn't have taken place on the same scale, you can be sure that people would've exchanged views and feelings as freely as we do on Twitter or Facebook wherever they could.

Clubs have done and are doing what they feel is appropriate. I also agree that there have been other scenarios with other players that have not had the same reaction, but who is to say what is 'right' and 'wrong'? In this day and age, there are people lining up to criticise any action OR inaction but it's more likely that they will do something rather than nothing IMO.

You do seem to be a very angry young man who doesn't agree with much in life ...

do you want me to say a prayer for you as well and will do so willingly as you seem to need it.

You are in the right on this one. Some threads are fair game for trolling, others you should show some respect.

This bloke appears to be getting himself into a little bit of bother on twitter.

https://twitter.com/#!/walken4gop

Oh dear.

This made me laugh... it's about the only thing I can quote from him without getting this place shut down...

What the hell happened? It feels like the entire UK is ****ed off at me. What is a bellend?

Not a royalist myself but surely he can't say what he did about the Queen?

also, why does the blanket coverage of this keep telling us how this puts football into perspective..?

errm, no ****....people would be in real trouble getting through life if they could not see the difference of importance to real life and a game of football

makes like football/premier league is a bit up its own arse really

Im feeling really sad this afternoon as the bodies of the six servicemen killed in afghan are being repatriated this afternoon.

As an ex serviceman I relly feel for the families , their colleagues and the regiments.

To me this puts life in perspective re the over reaction of some with due respect to to muamba

Im feeling really sad this afternoon as the bodies of the six servicemen killed in afghan are being repatriated this afternoon.

As an ex serviceman I relly feel for the families , their colleagues and the regiments.

To me this puts life in perspective re the over reaction of some with due respect to to muamba

now this i totally agree with.

also, the little girl who died at school by a rugby ball...I would like to know if schooling was postponed...much like some of the talk about boltons games..