Fabrice Muamba

Crab Lungs

I was in bloody Wetherspoons FFS (I know...) when I saw this on the TV. So, so sad, but while he's in Intensive Care, he's in the best hands possible. People always say the old cliche 'It puts football into perspective', but it really does. Recovering from this illness is job no.1. I must admit, it brought a tear to the eye. (I'm a softy, I was upset when Seaborne got attacked, albeit on a more personal level.)

Please please don't tell me that the guy chanted, 4 minutes 18 seconds into that clip, was what I though I heard (I am hard of hearing but hope it's not what I thought I heard).

I also noted a video on Youtube that was laughing at the situation. What sick c***s!!!

My thoughts are with the player, family and friends! really sad day & hope he pulls through!

Please please don't tell me that the guy chanted, 4 minutes 18 seconds into that clip, was what I though I heard (I am hard of hearing but hope it's not what I thought I heard).

I also noted a video on Youtube that was laughing at the situation. What sick c***s!!!

My thoughts are with the player, family and friends! really sad day & hope he pulls through!

I don't think it's what you think it is. It certainly isn't "Muamba" but could be that he just didn't cotton on to what everyone was chanting.

I don't think it's what you think it is. It certainly isn't "Muamba" but could be that he just didn't cotton on to what everyone was chanting.

I've watched again and it still sounds like "Fabrice he w****r". Even if he may think that's what the crowd is chanting he's a w****r for chanting it. The situation was obvious to anyone that it was serious.

Best wishes to the lad hope to see him back on the pitch as soon as possible

As bad as this may sound he was probably apart from a hospital in one of the best places ( with all the medical staff ) to collapse

Is it more common or just with media advances more reported when players suffer serious health conditions?

Apart from a Hospital, I agree that Fabrice was in a 'good' place to have a Sudden Cardiac Arrest - i.e. one that had Doctors and

defibrillators readily available. Statistically less that 5% of people who have a Cardiac Arrest out of Hospital survive. The key quick

treatment. Should he survive, no doubt he will receive an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD). It's a bit like a pacemaker but gives the heart an immediate shock to try and get it started again or into normal rhythm.

This clip shows a Belgian footballer who has an ICD collapse during a game and demonstrates how the ICD saves his life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOVNPLoHRME&feature=related

Apart from a Hospital, I agree that Fabrice was in a 'good' place to have a Sudden Cardiac Arrest - i.e. one that had Doctors and

defibrillators readily available. Statistically less that 5% of people who have a Cardiac Arrest out of Hospital survive. The key quick

treatment. Should he survive, no doubt he will receive an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD). It's a bit like a pacemaker but gives the heart an immediate shock to try and get it started again or into normal rhythm.

This clip shows a Belgian footballer who has an ICD collapse during a game and demonstrates how the ICD saves his life.

That is impressive.

Apart from a Hospital, I agree that Fabrice was in a 'good' place to have a Sudden Cardiac Arrest - i.e. one that had Doctors and defibrillators readily available.

Thought about this today as I played the second half of a game in Italian women's regional division C. The team used to be in the B division where the presence of a doctor was compulsory. The problem is the cost in amateur football, and this requirement, along with transport costs means that many clubs who win this division refuse promotion. But cost shouldn't be a consideration in the Premiership; interesting article in The Guardian about changes in 2007: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/18/fabrice-muamba-medical-rules?intcmp=239

I've watched again and it still sounds like "Fabrice he w****r". Even if he may think that's what the crowd is chanting he's a w****r for chanting it. The situation was obvious to anyone that it was serious.
Of course he wasn't. Like very many fans he probably had no clue what the opposition players name was, so he was just chanting whatever he thought he could hear from the others. Edited by kpturner

Of course he wasn't. Like very many fans he probably had no clue what the opposition players name was, so he was just chanting whatever he thought he could hear from the others.

Exactly. You don't need to be an expert in body language to see that was somebody looking a bit anxious trying to sing what he heard, without really knowing the players name.

Terrible news; it can happen to anyone at any age or fitness however. For example, my great uncle died at 5 years old of a heart attack; his brother, my grandad, died at 42 of one and several other family members too have....you just have to realise the beating heart is like playing a piano; it;s very hard to tell when and if the piano player is going to go off key.

It is amazing.

About 8 months ago one of my neighbours, who already had a pacemaker, had a heart attack. His very emotional teenage daughter banged on our front door screaming for help as her Mother was at work. I ran to their house to find another neighbour, who has only basic first aid training, giving the victim CPR. I tried to calm the family as their Dad lay on their living room floor not breathing and blue. The emergency responder arrived and shocked him 3 times and eventually got him breathing again. We think that he hadn't breathed on his own for nearly 10 minutes. I took the family to the hospital and waited with them - a very emotional time and the doctors told us to not expect a positive outcome due to the potential lack of oxygen to the brain.

He recovered, which was a miracle having seen him 'dead' for a very long time. The CPR my neighbour performed saved his life by forcing his body to draw breath. He has been left remarkably unaffected except that he says he feels a little distant mentally and his memory isn't what it once was. He still makes a mean lamb curry.

He had a sort of ICD fitted and was told that this would not allow his heart to fail but on Friday night he had another heart attack. It was a coughing fit that caused the problem and the ICD didn't immediately get the heart going again. He was out for a minute or so and is now recovering in hospital. They think something might have failed in the ICD to stop it kicking in earlier.

So hearing about Muamba really touched me and I obviously hope he pulls through. I hope the urgent professional care he got will give him the very best chance of survival without suffering other complications.

again, would such an out pouring be given to many other public figures..? i would say no myself

Muamba did not even come on my radar till all this

good news about him though but that is about it for me

I agree. As with many of these things it is bandwagon jumping that I like to call Diana syndrome. The Blackburn manager has said he will support postponing their game on saturday but it's not like he could say anything else.

Very sad about Muamba but I can't see why Bolton cannot play Saturday nor why we have to have so many public outpourings of support. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer shows of support in private. I consider them to be a lot more meaningful and more tasteful. Obviously I'm not talking about the crowd when the actual tragedy took place. It was like when Markus died and people said on here that they literally had tears streaming down their faces. I'm a fairly emotional person but I just can't understand someone who can feel such extremes of emotion towards someone they have never met or know personally.

Maybe as well being a team mate, he's their friend and they're upset??

Yeah I can understand team mates being upset but at the end of the day they are professionals and they cant just keep postponing games. If a work colleague of mine had fallen ill I would still do my job. In many ways, continuing to perform is a tribute in my opinion.

Yeah I can understand team mates being upset but at the end of the day they are professionals and they cant just keep postponing games. If a work colleague of mine had fallen ill I would still do my job. In many ways, continuing to perform is a tribute in my opinion.

True but people all react differently to this kind of thing. Just don't get how the football world uniting can be seen as a bad thing, when there is so much negative press around the lack of humility and sensitivity in the sport.

bolton are opening the Reebok for fans to come and pray for fabrice....

come on, OTT or what...? he has not even died and is on the mend

Oh FFS why is there always one attention grabbing twunt on here that posts that sh1te??

Its not OTT if thats what people want to do whats wrong with them doing it you don't have to join in or listen or like it.

WTF has it got to do with you if Bolton don't want to play because a fellow team mate and friend collapsed and was getting

his heart pumped in front of them?

You may be conditioned to this in your job but a footballer worst is perhaps compound fracture not defibulators and doctors pumping chest of a 23year old team mate.

Its not going to impact you in anyway so why cant you show some compassion and tolerance and not play the hard man male

ego trip.

bolton are opening the Reebok for fans to come and pray for fabrice....

What's wrong with that? A lot of people need spiritual guidance at some time in their lives.

Pretty much any church does the same for anyone at all for any reason.

Enjoying a football match one moment and then completely out of the blue, going through the sudden shock of seeing someone collapse and possibly lose their life, knowing at the same time you can't do anything about it would potentially traumatic for anyone. People will deal with it in different ways, praying about it would probably be one of the most popular.

Having been a copper for 30 years, I've witnessed people die and it wasn't any easier seeing it for the umpteenth time than it was the first time. I've seen people blow their (and other's) heads off with shotguns, throw themselves in front of trains. It's the sheer level of shock that is the most difficult thing to deal with and when something is 'unexpected' or 'out of the blue' that's when it can be most difficult to deal with.

come on, OTT or what...? he has not even died and is on the mend

What do you mean "on the mend"?

From the reports I read I'd be amazed if the lad ever walked again, let alone play football. There's no knowing at this stage the amount of brain damage he's suffered.

Pulling through and surviving this is one thing, being able to live what he/friends/family would describe as a "normal life" again is an entirely different matter

Oh FFS why is there always one attention grabbing twunt on here that posts that sh1te??

Its not OTT if thats what people want to do whats wrong with them doing it you don't have to join in or listen or like it.

WTF has it got to do with you if Bolton don't want to play because a fellow team mate and friend collapsed and was getting

his heart pumped in front of them?

You may be conditioned to this in your job but a footballer worst is perhaps compound fracture not defibulators and doctors pumping chest of a 23year old team mate.

Its not going to impact you in anyway so why cant you show some compassion and tolerance and not play the hard man male

ego trip.

why are you so aggressive...?

this is the problem..unless you don't pour out your emotions you get responses like this

as for acting the hardened male...I had to handle a mate who was blown to bits.....so I like to think I can talk from this sort of perspective.......nothing to do with ego trips...the lad is on the mend, he never died...more tragic things happen every day..I was just asking a question..no doubt, other were thinking it

His heart was stopped for two hours, that is unheard of. It is nothing short of incredible that they brought him back and if he survives without damage it is a huge tribute to everyone who looked after him.

If he makes a full recovery he's very very lucky. I can't help but think he'll be advised not to play professional football again, but I doubt he'd give 2 hoots about that as long as he can live a normal life.

Similar happened to Clive Clarke at Leicester a few years ago, he actually had CPR in the dressing room and did come back round thankfully...but was advised to retire shortly after as he had a pacemaker of sorts fitted iirc.

why are you so aggressive...?

this is the problem..unless you don't pour out your emotions you get responses like this

as for acting the hardened male...I had to handle a mate who was blown to bits.....so I like to think I can talk from this sort of perspective.......nothing to do with ego trips...the lad is on the mend, he never died...more tragic things happen every day..I was just asking a question..no doubt, other were thinking it

It was aggressive because thats what you were looking for a reaction.

As I said you are conditioned to this in your job, I respect you for that, my niece husband is in Afghan on tour and 2 weeks from finishing his tour and he has had friends die ou there too so am aware of what this does. Its part of your job its not part of a footballers.

This thankfully is a very rare occurance and the shock of seeing it happen is the reason for the reaction.

Of course worse things happen every day but not on a football pitch in front of thousands on tv and millions watching

TDD's view I can totally sympathise with but I don't think the outpouring of support is too over the top (the sensationalist-round-the-clock media don't help in this instance). In fact, I think it's superb - why? Because at least it's genuine. Real. Heartfelt. Not insincere. Not people just doing it for the sake of showing others that they're nice (I despise those kind of people).

Edited by Crab Lungs

I understand some of your points DD. If it had happened to a famous older face after a night on the beer and coke then you wouldnt get the same degree of reaction. For a young, superfit guy to effectively drop dead in front of 35,000 people and a live tv audience of 10 million - it makes it real and immediate. It's a massive wakeup call to those of us older, pie and beer in hand, not take anything for granted. Hence the degree of reaction imo.

does anyone think the out pouring of emotion by, it seems, everyone...a tad OTT..

bolton can't face the FA Cup, can't face the league games.....

harsh, maybe....just asking the question

Of course it's over the top. It's the whole "Princess Diana" factor, multiplied by the internet and social networking sites.

Everyone wants the lad to get better, that goes without saying. Don't need every 2nd minute a post of twitter telling us to "pray".

It was aggressive because thats what you were looking for a reaction.

As I said you are conditioned to this in your job, I respect you for that, my niece husband is in Afghan on tour and 2 weeks from finishing his tour and he has had friends die ou there too so am aware of what this does. Its part of your job its not part of a footballers.

This thankfully is a very rare occurance and the shock of seeing it happen is the reason for the reaction.

Of course worse things happen every day but not on a football pitch in front of thousands on tv and millions watching

eer, how am I..?

serious question...

and no, was not looking for a reaction

I used to have a Saturday job at Waitrose and one time the little old man who used to go round up the trollies had like a seizure and got carted off to hospital. It was pretty exciting what with the ambulances and that, i mean he was a bit of a knob and no-one used to talk to him much but we all felt bad for him. I even told someone off for taking the p!ss.

They didn't close the supermarket and send everyone home though. :(

eer, how am I..?

serious question...

and no, was not looking for a reaction

I actually completely agree with you on this point.

I'm guessing you work in the Forces in some capacity and whilst you and other servicemen/women, policemen/women, doctors, nurses etc. have to work with the horrors of death/serious injury/trauma the wider world often forget these people aren't emotionally programmed any different to anyone else. Infinite amount of training can never be comparable with experience.

Don't deny the sentiment is real, though its taken on a life of its own.

Me, I find it depressing that it has to take something so visceral to wake people up out of their stupor and complacency, even though everyday all manner of tragedies are anonymously played out up and down the country. Hope the lad makes a speedy recovery; but this place will be fast asleep again before you know it.

Edited by shurlock

I actually completely agree with you on this point.

I'm guessing you work in the Forces in some capacity and whilst you and other servicemen/women, policemen/women, doctors, nurses etc. have to work with the horrors of death/serious injury/trauma the wider world often forget these people aren't emotionally programmed any different to anyone else. Infinite amount of training can never be comparable with experience.

Jack the point I was trying to make...and very badly was that in yours and DD line of work you do expect to see that,

DD even said he had....I don't think footballers do and nor do fans who watch games hence the outpouring of messages of

prayer and comfort.

Of course you are affected by what you have seen you would be inhuman if you weren't just that this happened in front of millions hence the high numbers of messages that a few think are OTT.

Of course it's over the top. It's the whole "Princess Diana" factor, multiplied by the internet and social networking sites.

Everyone wants the lad to get better, that goes without saying. Don't need every 2nd minute a post of twitter telling us to "pray".

Yep this totally. I get that people want him to get better and I get that people may feel a bit sad, but why do we have to have every footballer on twitter expressing their sadness publicly. What is wrong with sending the message in private if you know the player personally? It makes it seem like they are doing it out of obligation.

Someone close to me died and it really annoyed me that someone posted a Facebook memorial page an people still post on his Facebook profile even now a year later. What is Wong with just expressing your feelings in a personal way?

TDD - if, God forbid, the same thing had happened to Adam Lallana at Millwall, do you think Saints fans and players would be chomping at the bit to play Hull tomorrow, or Donny at weekend?

It's been a horrendous couple of days and the concern shown throughout thee game has been very humbling.

To talk about over-reaction barely 48 hours after it happened comes across as pretty callous.

Today's news that he's moving, talking, breathing and recognising people is very encouraging but it would be daft to think he's out of the woods.

Thanks for all your words of support, it's been appreciated by a lot of people who, for the timebeing, at least, have little interest in the game we all love.

Come on Fab.

Enzo

Bolton fan (ex Milton Road End).

Yep this totally. I get that people want him to get better and I get that people may feel a bit sad, but why do we have to have every footballer on twitter expressing their sadness publicly. What is wrong with sending the message in private if you know the player personally? It makes it seem like they are doing it out of obligation.

Someone close to me died and it really annoyed me that someone posted a Facebook memorial page an people still post on his Facebook profile even now a year later. What is Wong with just expressing your feelings in a personal way?

A quick solution to that is to unfollow those footballers on twitter then - simple really and you won't feel so aggrieved by them doing so.

A quick solution to that is to unfollow those footballers on twitter then - simple really and you won't feel so aggrieved by them doing so.

I'm not on twitter. It was reported on the bbc news sites and numerous outlets. I'm not aggrieved by it, I just don't see why every footballer with a twitter account feels obligated to express their public sympathies.

Great news that he seems to be coming round. I can understand tomorrow's postponement but I would have thought that Saturday could go ahead. My son in law's sister collapsed at her kiddies' play shool when her heart stopped due to tachycardia. She was in an induced coma for a few days and it was horrible waiting to see if she would recover. She's back to normal now but memories of that time are very vague. Fortunately there is a simple medical procedure which should prevent a recurrence.

My thoughts are with Patrice, and with his family. His episode was very public and it's no surprise that so many should so such concern.